Dealership rejecting rebate after contract signed

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
deadlee

Dealership rejecting rebate after contract signed

Post by deadlee » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:41 am

Hello BH community,

We recently purchased a new vehicle (very un-BH of us, but it was my wife's first car since the one she bought in high school) - leased it actually, and used a "college grad rebate" for $1k off the selling price. Today, 14 days after the purchase, the salesguy sent me an email (and then called) stating that Toyota Financial had rejected the grad rebate due to the type of diploma. Apparently, the dealership escalated at TFS to chase this down and came up empty.

The dealership asked that we come back in to sign an amended contract (same terms), but without the $1k rebate. I don't suspect any mischief here, but just wanted to see what my options were.

I plan to call up the corporate office as well to confirm why specifically the rebate was declined. In the event it is legitimately disqualified, then I have to figure out how to respond to the dealership, and the matter of the $1k to be paid - just wanted to check if anyone had similar experiences and/or advice on the matter.

many thanks!

*Edit - wow, thank you for the responses, really appreciated! I was away for the past day (away from the car, so haven't yet read the lease fine print either). Some clarifications:
- The new vehicle is a lease, not a purchase, so I don't have the title. We actually don't even have our plates yet given it was only 16 days ago.
- the "diploma" in question is my wife's 4 year post-doc residency program (from an accredited university). The dealer financing guy mentioned that TFS (or Toyota/Lexus) declined it because it is not a standard diploma program. Their initial view was this should be acceptable, similar to nursing programs specifically mentioned in the rebate fine print. Apparently, not so. I expect to try to call and understand the issue on Monday
- i haven't had a chance to inspect the lease contract (been away the past 24 hours) to read the contingency language and see my options. Will update post once I have that detail
- i don't anticipate having to unwind the deal / hopefully this can be resolved in other ways. We paid $0 cap cost down for the lease, just the min drive off (first month, registration & licensing, acquisition fee) + multiple security deposits (fully refundable at lease-end).
- the finance guy sounded really concerned when they called me on Thursday, (simultaneous call, email and text) asking me "when we could come back into sign the revised contract", stressing that all he had to change was the rebate amount, and that selling price and terms would not change. I had said then that i would talk to TFS directly - I plan to follow up on Monday and will update here.
Last edited by deadlee on Sat Apr 15, 2017 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BruDude

Re: Dealership rejecting rebate after contract signed

Post by BruDude » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:53 am

I'd tell them to pound sand. They approved the deal, end of story. They can take $1k off the sale price if they have to. Their mistake. It's ridiculous that they would even ask you to do that.

denovo

Post by denovo » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:09 am

Tell then no
Stocks (80% of portfolio): 30% US Large, 4% Mid Cap, 6% Small Cap, 20% Emerg Market, 10% Asia Developed, 10% Europe, 5% Intl Small Cap, 10% US RE, 5 % INTL RE | Bonds (20%): US Interm Bond Index

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:15 am

Tell them that you're very sorry and you hope that the dealership eats the $1,000 rather than taking it out of the salesman's commission.

celia

Post by celia » Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:54 am

When I worked for a school district, we had to collect statistics which a parent could answer, or we made the best guess possible to the question of Parents' Highest Education Level (likely a substitute for family income). We were often reminded that "College Grad" referred to a 4-year degree, not an AA or trade school program. (There was another box to be checked for "Some College" that could be checked for any education past High School that was less than a 4-year degree.) This was one of many government-defined terms so that students state-wide or nationally could be compared as to having the same background/environment (or not). So I can see how the car company could be using this definition, should your wife not have a 4-year degree.

I'd ask them to show me where they took the definition from. As an example:
https://www.edvisors.com/fafsa/forms/tu ... education/

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:09 am

celia wrote:When I worked for a school district, we had to collect statistics which a parent could answer, or we made the best guess possible to the question of Parents' Highest Education Level (likely a substitute for family income). We were often reminded that "College Grad" referred to a 4-year degree, not an AA or trade school program. (There was another box to be checked for "Some College" that could be checked for any education past High School that was less than a 4-year degree.) This was one of many government-defined terms so that students state-wide or nationally could be compared as to having the same background/environment (or not). So I can see how the car company could be using this definition, should your wife not have a 4-year degree.

I'd ask them to show me where they took the definition from. As an example:
https://www.edvisors.com/fafsa/forms/tu ... education/

This is nice but misses the main point: the OP has a contract for a specific price. Keep that contract. This assumes that the OP did not defraud the dealer by misrepresenting the facts...
Attempted new signature...

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:12 am

FWIW, I googled and found this definition
https://www.toyotafinancial.com/pub/w/p ... te_program

I still don't see how the car could be bought/sold without this being fully determined beforehand. Otherwise they could offer all kinds of iffy rebates, and come back later saying, oops it looks like you didn't qualify, opening the door to all sorts of shenanigans.

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:17 am

Can you tell them that if you set foot in the dealership for their mistake that it will be to return the vehicle?

They backed out of their original deal so you should have the option to back out completely.

Perhaps some of that is wishful thinking on my part.

LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:57 am

Just say sorry, and ignore thereafter. Contract is signed it is a contract.

Do not think there will be fine print on the graduate program in your contracts.

$1000 for dealership is "cost of doing business" May be the salesperson, has to eat some of it.

I would just ignore and move on. You can take your care to same dealership for services, as it is a separate department all together.

In a year or two, if you meet the salesperson, and bring this point she / he is going to say " No worries, we figured it out; Do you need a new car ?"

navyitaly

Post by navyitaly » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:21 am

Offer them their used car back and unwind the deal...most likely the $1000 isn't worth the cost of a depreciated used car, reconditioning it, paying the fees involved with that etc..as long as you didn't misrepresent facts...

StevieG72

Post by StevieG72 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:12 am

Its not your problem!

You showed up looking to buy a new car and worked out the best deal with the salesperson. The salesperson must have told you that you were eligible for this rebate.

Contract signed, deal is done.

Dealership needs to work this out on their end and leave you alone.

I would at best agree to return to sign an updated contract with $1,000 reduction in sales price vs. rebate with all other details unchanged.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

UncleBen

Post by UncleBen » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:25 am

"That is really a shame. What time will you send someone to my house with a check refunding my deposit, a cancelled contract, and authorization to pick up the car and keys?"

You will easily be able to find a similar car at the next dealership.

Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:29 am

Wow, really good way to lose business and get a bad review on Yelp.

midareff

Post by midareff » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:31 am

BruDude wrote:I'd tell them to pound sand. They approved the deal, end of story. They can take $1k off the sale price if they have to. Their mistake. It's ridiculous that they would even ask you to do that.

Absolutely tell them to pound sand. You have a signed contract and the deal is over. I had a Toyota dealer try to renege on a signed deal at the time of new vehicle pickup once... told him I'd call the cops or he could give me my keys. .. the keys it was. They filled in the numbers and you both signed. Deal is over.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:38 am

This sounds just like a recent post about a purchase and the dealer supposedly miscalculating and asking for another $1000. I had something similar happen when buying a car using a factory supplier set price. They actually did miscalculate and wanted some number near $1000. I told them to pound sand. They said "we have ways of getting the money" to which I looked at the paid off title in my hand and said "have fun with that".

It's also apparently a known scam that dealers often pull.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

bottlecap

Post by bottlecap » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:16 am

StevieG72 wrote:Its not your problem!

You showed up looking to buy a new car and worked out the best deal with the salesperson. The salesperson must have told you that you were eligible for this rebate.

Contract signed, deal is done.

Dealership needs to work this out on their end and leave you alone.

I would at best agree to return to sign an updated contract with $1,000 reduction in sales price vs. rebate with all other details unchanged.

I agree with this. Off the top of my head, I don't know how the fact that it was a "rebate" affects your rights here, but unless you misrepresented something - not your problem.

JT

Traveller

Post by Traveller » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:24 am

Did your wife misrepresent her degree in any way?

If she was clear and they said they could make it work, then I agree with others and it's on them. If they make a big stink, then I'd return the car and have them reverse everything.

If she misrepresented her degree or entered into the agreement in violation of the stated terms, then I would feel it's on you to cough up the $1K.

Just my $0.02. Good luck.
Last edited by Traveller on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ERISA Stone

Post by ERISA Stone » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:48 am

I recommend posting in the askcarsales subreddit on Reddit.com. They are generally helpful with situations like this.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:52 am

Traveller wrote:Did your wife misrepresent her degree in any way?

If she was clear and they said they could make it work, then I agree with others and it's on them. If they make a big stink, then I'd return the car and have them reverse everything.

If she represented her degree or entered into the agreement in violation of the stated terms, then I would feel it's on you to cough up the $1K.

Agree these comments. If you did nothing wrong and were totally transparent about the nature of your wife's degree and they said nothing about any risk of it getting approved by TFS , then I'd only return the car if they threatened legal action or to repossess the car. Otherwise it is a cost of doing business and the dealer should take as a learning experience to be more careful in the future.

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:56 am

Your 2 options are either return the car or resign. Sadly, you don't already have a signed contract to protect you since these contingencies are standard and always written into what you signed. Unless you got a really bad deal to begin with it's unlikely the dealership has $1000 of profit to dip into on a Toyota. They might be willing to split the difference if you ask nicelYou should post this in the askcarsales subreddit. You'll get MUCH better advice there than here.

Note that you can't just tell them to pound sand. They legally can and will repossess your car in this situation.
Last edited by KyleAAA on Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:59 am

navyitaly wrote:Offer them their used car back and unwind the deal...most likely the $1000 isn't worth the cost of a depreciated used car, reconditioning it, paying the fees involved with that etc..as long as you didn't misrepresent facts...

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to say. Once the car has been titled they can no longer sell it as new. They won't want to take the car back.

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:27 am

I'll bet if you read in detail the contract you signed (hardly anyone ever reads the fine print), somewhere it states deal is subject to approval by TFS, especially on a lease. However taking 14 days to reject that is highly irregular. I would just add them to my list of companies to never do business with again.

djpeteski

Post by djpeteski » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:38 am

Happily sign a new contract provided the payments were at least $25 lower per month. Or they can have the car back with a full refund of your deposit.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:43 am

Traveller wrote:Did your wife misrepresent her degree in any way?
If she represented her degree or entered into the agreement in violation of the stated terms, then I would feel it's on you to cough up the $1K.

This is what makes sense to me as well. What do they say is "wrong" with her degree?

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:48 am

If the rebate was rejected for a legitimate reason (e.g. the fine-print you signed said the degree has to be X and her degree was Y) and you really want the car, rather than telling them to pounds sand and walk away or accepting you made a mistake and coughing up the $1K, I would ask them to meet you halfway. They give you an additional $500 off. Seems like a fair compromise if neither the dealer nor you caught the requirements.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:48 am

You must have surely signed a financing contingency as part of the retail installment contract. These are standard, especially in Toyota Financial/dealer captive agreements. You probably no longer have a deal. Be prepared to give up the car, although I'd make them come get it.

rob65

Post by rob65 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:52 am

Start by reading the entire contract, including the fine print. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear you may find that you are in a much weaker negotiating position than some others are assuming and that there is contigency language that favors the dealer.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:54 am

8foot7 wrote:You must have surely signed a financing contingency as part of the retail installment contract. These are standard, especially in Toyota Financial/dealer captive agreements. You probably no longer have a deal. Be prepared to give up the car, although I'd make them come get it.

I missed that it was a lease. Same principle applies, but even easier to unwind the deal.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:56 am

rob65 wrote:Start by reading the entire contract, including the fine print. I hope I'm wrong, but I fear you may find that you are in a much weaker negotiating position than some others are assuming and that there is contigency language that favors the dealer.

Is it possible that there was a misunderstanding or lack of specifics about the nature of the degree that could be solved by providing more information about her degree?

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Fri Apr 14, 2017 8:59 am

First read the fine print to see if there are any contingencies in the dealers favor.

Then read the fine print for the rebate to confirm whether you meet the requirements or not.

After that you can see if you have any reason to fight them.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:02 am

I think the leased car was the one she got in high school and this current one is purchased.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:13 am

Pajamas wrote:I think the leased car was the one she got in high school and this current one is purchased.

If the OP ever comes back, perhaps we'll find out for sure.
It would be "odd" to have a leased car in high school, but maybe rich people do that nowadays...
Attempted new signature...

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:31 am

*3!4!/5! wrote:FWIW, I googled and found this definition
That's a completely reasonable definition of "college graduate" in my opinion. I'm boldfacing some parts:
Earn your degree. To take advantage of the program, you must meet one of the following:

• Have graduated from an accredited four-year college, university, or registered nursing degree program during the last two years or will graduate from such a school/program within the next six months
  • Have graduated from an accredited two-year college, junior college, technical college, or university during the last two years or will graduate within the next six months
  • Be enrolled in or have graduated from an accredited graduate degree program during the last two years
    Have graduated from an accredited two-year trade or vocational school during the last two years or will graduate within the next six months
It's not just for four-year bachelors' degrees.
To the original poster: does your degree fit any of those descriptions? If it does, I'd fight. And yes, I'd bring in your diploma, and a printout of a web page showing that your school is accredited.

The tough part is that if they won't budge, your best choice might be to walk away from the deal. When they see that you are really walking out the door, they may or may not cave, but you really need to be prepared to do it.

My son's last car purchase was all set, and at the last minute the dealer reneged on something similar--it was also about a $1,000 difference between what was agreed and what was in the paperwork they pushed at him. He walked away and bought a similar car at the expected price from a different dealer. But it cost him two things:

1) he was seriously bummed out about it, days of disappointment, anger, and frustration;

2) he had already told his little kids about the "silver car" he had bought and they were all excited about the "silver car." The replacement car was actually dark gray. So rather than disappoint them or get into complicated explanations, he just called the dark gray car "silver." And now my grandkids are growing up believing that "silver" means "dark gray."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:46 am

Has the car been titled to the OP? The paperwork should still be sitting in the dealership waiting for all the payments to clear and contingencies to be handled, including the $1000 rebate.

I agree with previous posts that say your options are:
1. Confirm rebate rules. Fight rejection if applicable.
2. Return the car.
3. Pay the $1000.
4. Negotiate with dealer.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:26 am

nisiprius wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:FWIW, I googled and found this definition
That's a completely reasonable definition of "college graduate" in my opinion. I'm boldfacing some parts:
Earn your degree. To take advantage of the program, you must meet one of the following:
  • Have graduated from an accredited four-year college, university, or registered nursing degree program during the last two years or will graduate from such a school/program within the next six months
  • Have graduated from an accredited two-year college, junior college, technical college, or university during the last two years or will graduate within the next six months
  • Be enrolled in or have graduated from an accredited graduate degree program during the last two years
    Have graduated from an accredited two-year trade or vocational school during the last two years or will graduate within the next six months
It's not just for four-year bachelors' degrees.
To the original poster: does your degree fit any of those descriptions? If it does, I'd fight. And yes, I'd bring in your diploma, and a printout of a web page showing that your school is accredited.
The tough part is that if they won't budge, your best choice might be to walk away from the deal. When they see that you are really walking out the door, they may or may not cave, but you really need to be prepared to do it.
My son's last car purchase was all set, and at the last minute the dealer reneged on something similar--it was also about a $1,000 difference between what was agreed and what was in the paperwork they pushed at him. He walked away and bought a similar car at the expected price from a different dealer. But it cost him two things:
1) he was seriously bummed out about it, days of disappointment, anger, and frustration;
2) he had already told his little kids about the "silver car" he had bought and they were all excited about the "silver car." The replacement car was actually dark gray. So rather than disappoint them or get into complicated explanations, he just called the dark gray car "silver." And now my grandkids are growing up believing that "silver" means "dark gray."

The requirements cited do not seem to be that stringent - and include a window that is not that short, as well as counting two year programs, as well as registered nursing (no requirement for a four year college degree).

SecretAsianMan

Post by SecretAsianMan » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:47 am

nisiprius wrote:2) he had already told his little kids about the "silver car" he had bought and they were all excited about the "silver car." The replacement car was actually dark gray. So rather than disappoint them or get into complicated explanations, he just called the dark gray car "silver." And now my grandkids are growing up believing that "silver" means "dark gray."

This made me smile. :D

SAM

jcar

Post by jcar » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:24 am

Why would a 2 year vs a 4year degree evenmatter to Toyota? They just want to sell a car I would think

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:35 am

jcar wrote:Why would a 2 year vs a 4year degree evenmatter to Toyota? They just want to sell a car I would think

Absolutely!! Somehow, it seems that by offering a somewhat restricted rebate - they believe they will increase some sales, without giving the rebate/discount to everyone. Somebody "smarter" than I am would need to explain the financial analysis.

Same idea with discounts/rebates for members of the military. Much of the dealer "profit" these days comes from fees to place the loan, addons such as warranties, service contracts, GAP insurance, etc.

There are also several ways to reach a certain "bottom line". If it will make the sale, dealers will sometimes offer more on a trade-in.

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:01 pm

Contrary to the thread title the dealership did not reject the rebate. Toyota Financial rejected the rebate.

That, however, would not change that the dealership appears to have a contract and should live with it, unless there is some condition in the boilerplate.

I agree the OP should basically stick to the terms. The dealership actually is at fault for concluding a sale without verifying everything.

TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:38 pm

There is an awful lot of "pound sand! It's not my problem!" bluster with very little actual contract knowledge to back that up. The average person buys or leases less than one new car per year. Toyota Financial sells or leases tens of thousands of cars per year. Who do you think is more prepared to have contract language that will work in their favor? The buyer or the seller?

I guarantee there is contingency language that allows them to cancel the rebate if in fact she does not qualify. However, their requirements seem to be so broad that unless she misrepresented it (no reason to think she did), she should qualify unless they were unsatisfied with her proof (which should be fixable). I would contact Toyota Financial.

mikep

Post by mikep » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:50 pm

If the error was the other way they would tell you no a contract is a contract, so tell them that.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:54 pm

dbr wrote:Contrary to the thread title the dealership did not reject the rebate. Toyota Financial rejected the rebate.
That, however, would not change that the dealership appears to have a contract and should live with it, unless there is some condition in the boilerplate.
I agree the OP should basically stick to the terms. The dealership actually is at fault for concluding a sale without verifying everything.

Where did the rebate come from, though? I thought rebates like this came from Toyota and not from Toyota Financial? The TFS website, though, seems to indicate it may be a TFS rebate?

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:27 pm

deadlee wrote:Hello BH community,

We recently purchased a new vehicle (very un-BH of us, but it was my wife's first car since the one she bought in high school) - leased it actually, and used a "college grad rebate" for $1k off the selling price. Today, 14 days after the purchase, the salesguy sent me an email (and then called) stating that Toyota Financial had rejected the grad rebate due to the type of diploma. Apparently, the dealership escalated at TFS to chase this down and came up empty.

The dealership asked that we come back in to sign an amended contract (same terms), but without the $1k rebate. I don't suspect any mischief here, but just wanted to see what my options were.

I plan to call up the corporate office as well to confirm why specifically the rebate was declined. In the event it is legitimately disqualified, then I have to figure out how to respond to the dealership, and the matter of the $1k to be paid - just wanted to check if anyone had similar experiences and/or advice on the matter.

many thanks!

Go back to the dealership, hand them the keys, demand that they tear up the contract (since they can't honor it), get your money back (if any), and tell them you're going to Honda. Life is too short for the shenanigans that some car dealerships pull. Then I would make sure that as many people as I could manage knew what happened, and particularly the name of the salesman. Nothing vitriolic, just a simple recital of the facts.

If they come around, get confirmation in writing.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 2:48 pm

I would just add that if you choose to lease (and there are times it is actually worth leasing) always....ALWAYS have every single fee, deposit, etc. etc. wrapped into the payment. The only thing you should be paying when you pick up the car is the first months car payment.

It's easy to say "return the car" but if the OP paid $400 in "document fees" and a $2000 cap cost reduction well he's now out all that money.

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:10 pm

Jags4186 wrote:I would just add that if you choose to lease (and there are times it is actually worth leasing) always....ALWAYS have every single fee, deposit, etc. etc. wrapped into the payment. The only thing you should be paying when you pick up the car is the first months car payment.

It's easy to say "return the car" but if the OP paid $400 in "document fees" and a $2000 cap cost reduction well he's now out all that money.

Not if the deal was never valid. He would get all that back.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:19 pm

What if the OP want to a different Toyota dealership and tried to get the same deal (with the rebate) and explain how this was rejected by TFS -- and see what they would say and/or do??

Go back to the dealership, hand them the keys, demand that they tear up the contract (since they can't honor it), get your money back (if any), and tell them you're going to Honda. Life is too short for the shenanigans that some car dealerships pull. Then I would make sure that as many people as I could manage knew what happened, and particularly the name of the salesman. Nothing vitriolic, just a simple recital of the facts.

If they come around, get confirmation in writing.

I like this idea as well..

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:44 pm

8foot7 wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:I would just add that if you choose to lease (and there are times it is actually worth leasing) always....ALWAYS have every single fee, deposit, etc. etc. wrapped into the payment. The only thing you should be paying when you pick up the car is the first months car payment.

Not if the deal was never valid. He would get all that back.

Yes but when? Same argument with credit card vs debit card fraud. Sure you'll get your money back but with a credit card the bank is out the money, with debit card you need to wait for bank to put the money back in your account.

JGoneRiding

Post by JGoneRiding » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:57 pm

LiveSimple wrote:Just say sorry, and ignore thereafter. Contract is signed it is a contract.

Do not think there will be fine print on the graduate program in your contracts.

$1000 for dealership is "cost of doing business" May be the salesperson, has to eat some of it.

I would just ignore and move on. You can take your care to same dealership for services, as it is a separate department all together.

In a year or two, if you meet the salesperson, and bring this point she / he is going to say " No worries, we figured it out; Do you need a new car ?"

Since its a lease and not a purchase i really think this is a bad idea they HAVE TO go back to the dealer for different things they don't own the car at all. I am very sure the dealer can reposes it!

BruDude

Post by BruDude » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:08 pm

This reminds me of a certain news story this week....hmmmmm...how much is $1000 worth in bad reviews and press? Maybe we should ask...hmmm...United Airlines?

KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA » Fri Apr 14, 2017 4:17 pm

Just to reiterate, the people who are telling you to ignore the demand are giving you bad advice. They can and will repossess the car and you'll be left dealing with the consequences. Don't do that. Go read what you signed and I 100% guarantee you don't have a leg to stand on. This kind of situation happens literally every day and the dealership and Toyota are both well-protected.

Your best bet is to ask this question at reddit.com/r/askcarsales to get detailed advice from people who know what they're talking about.