[Tax] software asks driver license number

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
ketanco

[Tax] software asks driver license number

Post by ketanco » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:41 am

Hello,
The software I used asked drivers license number but I skipped that step by mistake and didnt provide it and still software allowed me to file my tax. I am in NJ. I looked and both IRS and NJ says it is optional. What happens if we do not provide this?

fabdog

Re: software asks driver license number

Post by fabdog » Sun Apr 09, 2017 10:44 am

Nothing, at least for this year. I fully expect at some point in the near future, as they try to battle tax return fraud, the IRS and/or the states will move towards requiring some sort of identification number on returns. They have it as optional now, perhaps testing out how it works

Mike

Jimmie

Re: software asks driver license number

Post by Jimmie » Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:09 am

Ketanco, you should consider editing the title of the post to reflect that the software in question is for taxes.

My suggestion: "Tax Software Asks for Driver's License Number"

This will get views from more pertinent Bogleheads.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Re: [Tax] software asks driver license number

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:24 pm

Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Sun Apr 09, 2017 12:36 pm

I saw that request in Taxact for the first time this year. It said providing it was optional so I skipped it, but later it wouldn't let me complete my filing without entering it.

I filed state and federal simultaneously, and the IRS doesn't require it yet, and I checked and my state doesn't require it yet either.
So I don't know what's going on. Hopefully Taxact isn't using this as a cheesy way to mine data about its customers by masquerading as an official need (I would have presumed that would not be legal but I just don't know anymore).

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Seems its required by NYS if you use tax software for a personal return.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/pit/driver-l ... ements.pdf

We had to provide ours to our CPA to file a non-resident NY return for 2016.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:31 pm

heartwood wrote:Seems its required by NYS if you use tax software for a personal return.

https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/pit/driver-l ... ements.pdf

We had to provide ours to our CPA to file a non-resident NY return for 2016.
It is actually not required even in NYS. Some taxpayers at our VITA site (located in NYS) had satisfactory IDs (that established their identity to our satisfaction, e.g., passports, military identification cards, etc.) but did not have a driver's license or DMV-issued non-driver identification card. We were able to to click a "no driver's license/DMV id available" choice in the software and the efile went through.

bluebolt

Post by bluebolt » Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:45 pm

LadyGeek wrote:^^^ I fixed it.

From the IRS: How New Security Safeguards will Affect You for 2017
From that page:
"Why am I being asked for my driver’s license number?

You do not need a driver’s license number to file your federal tax return. But, in an effort to better protect you from identity thieves, some states will be trying new approaches. Some states may ask for additional identification information, such as your driver’s license number, when you are preparing your state tax return. This will be another layer of protection because identity thieves may already have your name and Social Security number, but perhaps not your driver’s license number. States requesting this information have the ability to match driver’s license information and other identifying records to help confirm your identity."

Raryn

Post by Raryn » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:12 pm

I filed two state returns this year because I moved halfway through 2016.

Both states required either a driver's license # or the AGI listed on last years state return to efile.

My DL is still in the old state, so I had to paper file my new state. Quite annoying.

Miakis

Post by Miakis » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:16 pm

Some states are delaying refunds if we don't provide driver's license info. There are a couple of states not accepting E-file without the ID.

obafgkm

Post by obafgkm » Sun Apr 09, 2017 3:42 pm

Raryn wrote:I filed two state returns this year because I moved halfway through 2016.

Both states required either a driver's license # or the AGI listed on last years state return to efile.

My DL is still in the old state, so I had to paper file my new state. Quite annoying.
Off topic, perhaps, but isn't one supposed to change their driver's license soon after moving? Ten months seems like a long time. One needs to get a new Pennsylvania license within 60 days of moving into the state.

Raryn

Post by Raryn » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:10 pm

obafgkm wrote:
Raryn wrote:I filed two state returns this year because I moved halfway through 2016.

Off topic, perhaps, but isn't one supposed to change their driver's license soon after moving? Ten months seems like a long time. One needs to get a new Pennsylvania license within 60 days of moving into the state.
I believe that the requirement in most states (unless you are a member of the military) is somewhere within 30-90 days, and it's within 90 days for my state as per google. That said, my prior DL doesn't expire for another several years, and I'll only be in this state 15 more months, so I haven't bothered to go through the expense/hassle. Technically that means if I'm pulled over I could be fined for that in addition to whatever the violation is, but as far as I understand it's not typically enforced.

Mlm

Post by Mlm » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:12 pm

The part that upset me was having to rely on a magnifying glass to red my license :annoyed

downshiftme

Post by downshiftme » Sun Apr 09, 2017 4:58 pm

I do not understand how providing my driver's license will help with taxes. Tax data is already targeted by fraudsters claiming fake refunds. If anything having the tax data also include driver's licenses makes the tax data a bigger target for hackers who can access not just financial data but personal identification data as well.

richardglm

Post by richardglm » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:17 pm

downshiftme wrote:I do not understand how providing my driver's license will help with taxes. Tax data is already targeted by fraudsters claiming fake refunds. If anything having the tax data also include driver's licenses makes the tax data a bigger target for hackers who can access not just financial data but personal identification data as well.
Fraudsters claiming fake refunds are not getting their data from the IRS, mostly. They steal social security numbers and sometimes W-2 and other documents from private corporations or individuals and then turn around and file fake tax returns with that data to get refunds. Since DL id number is not usually included in this other data, it helps verify the tax return.

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Sun Apr 09, 2017 6:23 pm

It is also need in California to e-file with a PIN but using AGI. I did not remember doing this last year.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939