Vanguard app, mobile check deposits and all-in-one accounts

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
TheGreyingDuke

Vanguard app, mobile check deposits and all-in-one accounts

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Fri Apr 07, 2017 9:11 am

I had an IRA CD coming due at a local credit union, had them send me a check made out to Vanguard Fiduciary Trust FBO The GreyingDuke. I decided to try to Vanguard app to deposit it (I have no use for mobile access to my account) and once logged in was given a list of only a few of my accounts (all zombies) eligible for mobile deposits.

Called Vanguard and the representative stated that the mobile deposit did not work for the accounts that were integrated (mutual funds and brokerage). She sounded exasperated and seemed as if they had lots of calls about this; "This is a high priority for us to fix".
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

Katietsu

Re: Vanguard app, mobile check deposits and all-in-one accounts

Post by Katietsu » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:14 am

Can you use mobile deposit with one of the other accounts and then transfer the funds to the desired mutual fund/brokerage account? Extra step but not much extra time.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:16 am

Katietsu wrote:Can you use mobile deposit with one of the other accounts and then transfer the funds to the desired mutual fund/brokerage account? Extra step but not much extra time.
I had the check made out to Vanguard FBO because it was an IRA transfer.

The other accounts were zombie estate accounts for estates that were long ago settled.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:34 am

Make sure the check doesn't bump up against mobile deposit limits. If it's a large check, you might not be able to do it online. If you ask really nicely, they might send you a mailer so that you can get it securely fedex'd over.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:40 am

for something as important as an IRA custodian transfer, no way in the world would I use something as primitive as mobile check deposit.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

blueman2

Post by blueman2 » Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:31 pm

I am amazed that this issue still exists. My son foolishly did the 'upgrade' as Vanguard recommended, and now can no longer do mobile check deposits using a phone. Checks have to be sent by US mail!!! How 1980s is that?

Talked to flagship rep who said this has been a #1 priority for over a year to resolve but no progress has been made that he knows of. How can something be a #1 priority for a full year and no progress made?!?!? Vanguard needs to join the 21st century here. Or they will die a quick death as millenials stay away from this dinosaur. I know of no other consumer financial institution that does not allow mobile check deposit.

drzzzzz

Post by drzzzzz » Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:48 pm

I have complained to my Flagship rep about this issue for at least a year and a hal and he says they have no idea when it will get fixed. In the meantime, I also asked him to send me Vanguard addressed stamped envelopes so I can at least deposit checks without incurring a stamp expense. It's amazing that they can't get this fixed since every other banking and brokerage institution is able to do something as simple as mobile check deposit.

aaron2020

Post by aaron2020 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:20 pm

Update: This is still broken. Is it a priority? Are they competent? I was told in 2016 that it was coming "next year".

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Sat May 26, 2018 9:50 pm

aaron2020 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2018 10:20 pm
Update: This is still broken. Is it a priority? Are they competent? I was told in 2016 that it was coming "next year".
So this explains why it does t work? Tried using it and got a pop up to contact vanguard.com

So this feature hasn’t worked for 2 years is that
correct?

blueman2

Post by blueman2 » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:45 pm

Talked to Vanguard flagship rep again today on this issue. It remains their "one of our top issues to resolve" according to them. It has been one of their top issues for over 2 years now. Wow, Vanguard must have the worst IT department on the planet. :shock:

bzargarcia

Post by bzargarcia » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:10 pm

Vanguard should be able to get mobile deposit fixed, but the OP had another problem. Mobile deposit was never going to work with a check made out to Vanguard FBO the OP. I've had several bank and investment accounts and none of them ever allowed a FBO deposit over mobile. Technically the check isn't made out to you so you can't deposit it electronically.
Bart Garcia

JoMoney

Post by JoMoney » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:20 pm

blueman2 wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 4:31 pm
... How can something be a #1 priority for a full year and no progress made?!?!? ...
I wonder how many #1 priorities they have?
In some workplaces "priorities" are just platitudes
People First, Integrity First, Safety First, Mission First, Customer First
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham