IRS and TurboTax Finger Pointing At Each Other

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

IRS and TurboTax Finger Pointing At Each Other

Post by RadAudit » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:19 pm

If anyone has an easy answer, please share.

Short story. I filed my federal taxes for 2016 using TurboTax on 2/25/2017. TurboTax says the IRS got the information - the tax return and the checking account from which they can withdraw the amount I owe them. Because the money has not been withdrawn from my account, I called the IRS and they said that yes they got the return but they didn't get the approval to withdraw the money from my account that TurboTax supposedly sent.

Anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this one?
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The Calvary isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

flyingbison

Re: IRS and TurboTax Finger Pointing At Each Other

Post by flyingbison » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:21 pm

Mail the IRS a check.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:22 pm

Is it possible it's something on the bank's end?
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:24 pm

flyingbison wrote:Mail the IRS a check.
Drop a check in the mail by the filing deadline and you're fine.

RadAudit

Post by RadAudit » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:24 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:Is it possible it's something on the bank's end?
Not yet. Hasn't got that far. The ping pong ball is between IRS and TurboTax
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. - PS: The Calvary isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.

RadAudit

Post by RadAudit » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:25 pm

SouthernCPA wrote:
Won't that end up with me paying taxes twice?

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:39 pm

If you used direct debit, what date did you specify to money to be withdrawn from your account? The money is withdrawn from your bank account on the date you specify when using direct debit. Did you double and triple check your bank account and routing numbers?

RadAudit

Post by RadAudit » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:47 pm

2pedals wrote: Did you double and triple check your bank account and routing numbers?
Yes. Checked numbers with TurboTax and there is a match.

Date? Don't know for sure. As I recall it was as soon as the IRS wanted to take it out.

ruud

Post by ruud » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:54 pm

If I recall correctly TurboTax lets you specify a date up to the April deadline for the money to be withdrawn, and I believe (though am not 100% sure on this) that it even presents that date as the default. Can you go back into TurboTax to see what date you specified?
"A good plan, violently executed now, is better than a perfect plan next week."

TeamArgo

Post by TeamArgo » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:01 pm

I filed mine and named 4/4 as the pay date. I just looked at my account, and it was taken out as expected. So the process can work. Check for your date of withdrawal in TurboTax. I believe you could designate a date as late as 4/18 this year.
"A man hears what he wants to hear, and disregards the rest" -Paul Simon (The Boxer, 1970)

RadAudit

Post by RadAudit » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:01 pm

ruud wrote:If I recall correctly TurboTax lets you specify a date up to the April deadline for the money to be withdrawn, and I believe (though am not 100% sure on this) that it even presents that date as the default. Can you go back into TurboTax to see what date you specified?
Good idea. Can't find it on the web-site. But it is worth another call to TurboTax. They seem to be slightly more responsive than the IRS.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:03 pm

You might be able to page through your Turbotax interview and see how you answered the questions. It does sound likely that you defaulted on the date, which would then be 4/14 (or worse, 4/18!). They do ask for that.... somewhere....
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.

2pedals

Post by 2pedals » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:14 pm

I don't know for sure how to find the date you entered for withdrawal with 2016 Turbo Tax (I used H&R Block this year).

A similar question was asked and answered a few year ago in the TurboTax AnswerXchange.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/26450 ... withdrawal

RadAudit

Post by RadAudit » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:32 am

2pedals wrote:I don't know for sure how to find the date you entered for withdrawal with 2016 Turbo Tax (I used H&R Block this year).

A similar question was asked and answered a few year ago in the TurboTax AnswerXchange.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/26450 ... withdrawal
Even better than talking to the IRS. Thanks

SouthernCPA

Post by SouthernCPA » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:53 am

RadAudit wrote:
SouthernCPA wrote:
Won't that end up with me paying taxes twice?
Not if the IRS is saying they don't have authority to withdraw the money and Turbotax is saying there's nothing else for them to do. Doesn't sound like the money will be sent via bank account transfer based on that. If by chance you do mail the check and then later down the road they withdraw funds, they'd mail you a check for overpayment, although that may be 6 months from now.

However, based on the link in another post, it looks like you might have the withdrawal coming out on the filing deadline if that's what Turbotax defaulted to when you filed.

mikep

Post by mikep » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:22 pm

CAsage wrote:You might be able to page through your Turbotax interview and see how you answered the questions. It does sound likely that you defaulted on the date, which would then be 4/14 (or worse, 4/18!). They do ask for that.... somewhere....
What's wrong with paying as late as possible?

RadAudit

Post by RadAudit » Thu Apr 06, 2017 2:51 pm

mikep wrote:What's wrong with paying as late as possible?
Nothing that I know of, if it is on or before the due date and you remember when you told the IRS they could electronically take the money out of your account. It's the last part that was driving my financial secretary crazy.

Of course, there's always the remote possibility something will go awry.

CAsage

Post by CAsage » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:36 pm

mikep wrote:
CAsage wrote:You might be able to page through your Turbotax interview and see how you answered the questions. It does sound likely that you defaulted on the date, which would then be 4/14 (or worse, 4/18!). They do ask for that.... somewhere....
What's wrong with paying as late as possible?
Lack of time margin in case something goes wrong. While it is unlikely... I personally am not willing to risk that the numbers were mistyped, a server hiccups, the time changes, the moon rises, Godzilla rises from the sea and the blasted transaction goes awry! I sleep much better paying all my bills well in advance, at least a week usually, so I have spare week days to fix the rare but painful errors. The pennies I am saving in interest hanging on to my small balance owed is not worth the nail biting that last day. Personal choice! I never said it was wrong!
Salvia Clevelandii "Winifred Gilman" my favorite. YMMV; not a professional advisor.