Does your employer let you cash out your Vacation and/or Sick time upon leaving the company?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
infotrader

Re: Does your employer let you cash out your Vacation and/or Sick time upon leaving the company?

Post by infotrader »

I get 24 days of vacation every year, and 12 days of sick leave.
We can cash out up to 1.5 year worth of vacation days.
All sick leave hours can be converted to service credit at the rate of 2000 hours=1 year. It is actually worth more than vacation time, so some people take vacation when they are sick.
MathWizard

Re: Does your employer let you cash out your Vacation and/or Sick time upon leaving the company?

Post by MathWizard »

Tycoon wrote:My employer will pay out my accumulated vacation, but not my sick leave.
Ditto. However, you continue to accumulate sick leave if you don't use it.
This comes in handy for the few people who I know who have had a recurring illness
late in their career, and were allowed to take months of accumulated sick leave.
flamesabers

Post by flamesabers »

My employer allows employees to cash out their vacation days upon leaving. I'm not sure about sick time as it's not specified one way or the other in the employee manual.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

We have PTO (bundled holidays, vacation and sick).

Cash out when leaving is 100%.

We can also cash out every year at 100%, down to a minimum of 40 hours - while employed.
Beth*

Post by Beth* »

We get Paid Time Off (PTO) which bundles vacation and sick leave. We can cash in our PTO balance when we leave.
2retire

Post by 2retire »

Yes. It depends on the time you have been with the company though. The most anyone can have stored up is twenty days (above and beyond what you get a year).

We acquire x.x hours of PTO a week. I don't know what happens if you try to take more time than you have acquired.

Most companies don't award you 20 days at the start of the year. Their policies typically say you acquire the time weekly or monthly over the year. However, most companies allow you to pre-take some of the time.

Basic math would say she gets 1.6 days per month. She has probably accrued about 5 days this year. If she has already taken some time off, that could be why they denied her the time.
willie838

Post by willie838 »

They used to I believe.

Then it changed to an offer to convert 1200h of sick to free health care for life. So about 15 pay periods, or roughly 7 months of sick for free Healthcare forever... Not a bad deal if you retired at 46 or 50 or even 60 years old.

Ahhh old state pension provisions.