Enjoying the journey to retirement

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
TheTimeLord

Enjoying the journey to retirement

Post by TheTimeLord » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:13 pm

While I am still not overly fired up about the concept of retiring, I have pretty much decided it is likely an event that will occur in 2018. As a result I have put together a checklist of thinks I want to take care of before I retire. Everything from improved fitness to exploring digital photography to increasing my skill in the kitchen to planning future travel, a well as, upgrades to things like cars, TVs, landscaping, interior decorating and possibly garage storage. Of course I still have the standard financial to dos of contributing to the 401k and buying I Bonds plus finally getting around to starting a DAF, but those seem less important as the days go by. Surprisingly I have noticed something very unexpected as I am working through my list on this final approach, last ride, victory lap (or whatever metaphor you prefer) the process of preparing for retirement is really immensely enjoyable for me. I am truly enjoying the journey to retirement, which I am sure is in large part do to not being concerned with the financial aspects but just working through my checklist. So whether it is feeling good because I am in better shape each day, selecting new paint colors or shopping for the car that makes me go vroom, the journey to this point has been nothing but a joy that I am in no hurry to end.

Have other BH experienced this as they were winding down towards calling it a day. Really not in a hurry to see night fall.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

Jack FFR1846

Re: Enjoying the journey to retirement

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:19 pm

It's really just that you're not working anymore. You make it sound like you pick a day and die. Don't think of it that way. You can retire and THEN learn how to cook. I do think about how I can do things when I retire that I can't do now. I live on a busy cut-through commuting street so going to take a walk when I get home from work means that if I want to avoid stress and texting teenagers, I keep on the trails. While out there, I think that when I'm retired, I can go out at 11am or 2pm when nobody's on the road and walk in peace on the blacktop.

Plenty of little things like that are in my plans. NOT in my plans are some forced check lists. Sure....I'll declutter. But I won't declutter by such and such a date.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

bligh

Post by bligh » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:20 pm

The anticipation of an event produces happiness (sometimes MORE happiness) independent of the event itself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/11/trav ... e-yet.html

Most people know this from anticipating a planned for vacation.

Snowjob

Post by Snowjob » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:24 pm

I think its because you are prioritizing all of these fun things in life instead of work. (and the healthy food & exercise is actually a really good boost too)

jazman12

Post by jazman12 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:56 pm

You're doing the right thing by having the right frame of mine and looking forward to new adventures. I have been preparing for awhile and before I was anxious and thought I wasn't prepared. Now I am anticipating the day when I put this part of my life behind me.
Act soon... time is running out

J_Markov

Post by J_Markov » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:29 pm

what happens when you truly love your job and don't feel like retiring at all? In fact, what happens when the thought of retiring has the opposite effect on you, it scares you and bring you down? Has this happened to many here?

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Tue Apr 04, 2017 2:37 pm

J_Markov wrote:what happens when you truly love your job and don't feel like retiring at all? In fact, what happens when the thought of retiring has the opposite effect on you, it scares you and bring you down? Has this happened to many here?
Many people don't retire because they love their job and it makes them happy. People need to figure out how they want to live in the future and plan for the success of their plan, whatever that may be.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:34 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:It's really just that you're not working anymore. You make it sound like you pick a day and die. Don't think of it that way. You can retire and THEN learn how to cook. I do think about how I can do things when I retire that I can't do now. I live on a busy cut-through commuting street so going to take a walk when I get home from work means that if I want to avoid stress and texting teenagers, I keep on the trails. While out there, I think that when I'm retired, I can go out at 11am or 2pm when nobody's on the road and walk in peace on the blacktop.

Plenty of little things like that are in my plans. NOT in my plans are some forced check lists. Sure....I'll declutter. But I won't declutter by such and such a date.
I am working full time. Why would I want to wait to retire to do anything if I don't have to? Interesting I had never considered it to be a forced checklist, that is a perspective I had not considered.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:39 pm

J_Markov wrote:what happens when you truly love your job and don't feel like retiring at all? In fact, what happens when the thought of retiring has the opposite effect on you, it scares you and bring you down? Has this happened to many here?
I am not necessarily looking forward to retiring but very much enjoying the process of preparing for it. One of the things I discovered is even though most would have said I already had a very busy life there was still room for some additional things after some prioritization. I think i may be the fact I am focused on nothing but things that I see adding value and joy to my life. Seems like the thing that get squeezed out more days than not are the nagging little day to day worries. And I most certainly enjoy see all my ducks start to line up nicely.

curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:56 pm

It's kind of funny. I was on a similar path of knowing I was getting closer to retirement, doing some specific planning and preparation, but reasonably content and occupied by my work. The finances were pretty well in place, and I sometimes joked that I was only continuing to work so we could fly business/first class in retirement (which hasn't been important to us, but would be a nice luxury on international trips). As time went on, my orientation started tilting more and more towards retirement. Eventually it just felt like the right time, and this is my last week of working. The tipping point was gentle, but definite. It was good to let it come naturally rather than be focused on a specific date or age.

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:14 pm

Everyone has their own approach to things to get the most reward and self satisfaction.
Congratulations!!!
Stretch it out. Enjoy the process. Savor each bite. Whether you commit or not matters not. Research the photography, the new spiffy wheels, the RV, the boat, the Tai Chi classes, the cruise ship to . . . . .
You're not alone. I have friends that are doing the same thing or have done the same thing. New camera system, new RV's, trips and cruises and classes. Some are a few years away, some a few years into, some far into retirement. But all savoring the process as you are.
The world of the retiree leaving the accumulation phase is no longer conceptual when experienced.
You have arrived. Enjoy the process.
:sharebeer

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:38 am

Sandtrap wrote: You have arrived. Enjoy the process.

I really think that is the feeling, whether you label it "having arrived" (excellent phrasing) or "having enough" you start to move beyond accumulation into a more concrete world with many of the possibilities you have hoped for. You beginning tidying up the end of your work life, but not necessarily in a hurry for it to end, and set your gaze on new activities and adventures. I guess in some ways I am constructing my bucket list. But I think for me one of the most important things that comes out of this process is the feeling of how truly blessed and fortunate I am to arrive at this point financially secure, in good health and with a wide array of paths forward.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:38 am

I'm just glad this is not OMY syndrome for the OP.

My transition to retirement four years ago was fairly seamless financially with about the same amount hitting my checking account monthly. So no particular expenditures in advance of 3/8/2013, just monitoring that insurance deductions from pay switched over to direct pay smoothly, which they did.

Filling the new free time allotment became the new fun challenge.
I did about thirteen weeks of traveling, both foreign and domestic, my first year in retirement.
Additionally, I try to pick at least one fair weather weekday each week when I'm home to get out for a day hike or bike ride in different places within a few hours from home...
Attempted new signature...

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:12 am

bligh wrote:The anticipation of an event produces happiness (sometimes MORE happiness) independent of the event itself.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/11/trav ... e-yet.html

Most people know this from anticipating a planned for vacation.
I know some people who have a much better time on their vacation after it is over and they are telling people about it than when they are actually there. They are actually pretty miserable on the trips but everything is legendary once they get home and talk to friends.

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:50 am

One other thing to consider is your social contacts which will likely change in retirement, especially over time. My social contacts outside of family were largely centered around my work. However, I established new social contacts and friends through volunteer work, church and other activities I do in retirement. Some, myself included, have to make a conscious effort to expand their social contacts in retirement.

I retired 6 years ago and was extremely busy the first 2 years with a variety of things: caring for my sick mother and handling her estate, major remodeling projects, volunteering and participation on the board of a retirees' association. After a couple of years, these activities either stopped or slowed down. I had to find new ways to fill my time and interests. I enjoy the life of leisure, but can only tolerate so much of that. Apparently this 2 year phenomen is not unusual as I have talked to several people who experienced the same thing.

Best wishes for your retirement. It sounds like you are getting off to a good start.

The Wizard

Post by The Wizard » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:27 am

TheTimeLord wrote: I know some people who have a much better time on their vacation after it is over and they are telling people about it than when they are actually there. They are actually pretty miserable on the trips but everything is legendary once they get home and talk to friends.
This is strangely interesting and definitely not my experience over the past 45 years of traveling.
My dive trip last month to Ambergris Caye, Belize, for instance, was "good" but not super great.
I think we both agreed afterwards that we don't need to be in a rush to go back there too soon.
In contrast, I'd return to Bonaire or Cozumel next week if a great chance presented itself.

I think it's possible that the more experienced you get with personalized travel, the better you get at it.

And since today's focus is retirement, it's better to have done your training wheel exercises with certain activities well prior to cutting loose...
Attempted new signature...

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:31 am

TheTimeLord wrote:

I really think that is the feeling, whether you label it "having arrived" (excellent phrasing) or "having enough" you start to move beyond accumulation into a more concrete world with many of the possibilities you have hoped for. You beginning tidying up the end of your work life, but not necessarily in a hurry for it to end, and set your gaze on new activities and adventures. I guess in some ways I am constructing my bucket list. But I think for me one of the most important things that comes out of this process is the feeling of how truly blessed and fortunate I am to arrive at this point financially secure, in good health and with a wide array of paths forward.
Thank you for sharing.
For myself. The "process" has taken over 6 years and counting. I'm sure it is because liquidating a business takes time as well as complete change in logistics, LCOL to HCOL, and so forth -- vs retiring from employment with a pension, etc, etc. And, as a workaholic who absolutely loves business ventures, it is a new world indeed. Perhaps I need to watch the movie, "The Bucket List" with Morgan Freeman another time. (kidding)
Yes. From comfort zone to comfort zone. Familiarity to a new familiarity.
Congratulations.
And thank you for introducing a very good thread.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:54 am

deleted
Last edited by Lynette on Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

may pop

Post by may pop » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:06 am

After working at a physical job for 40+ years I am starting the get ready to go process. About 1 year.
I work a little each day on the "R Project" as the wife calls it. A couple of Excel sheets. This helps me get going the next day as each seems to get worse. I cant wait for the next phase of my life. Maybe get more than 5 1/2 hours sleep a night and no more 96 miles a day of commuting.

Ron

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:33 pm

carolinaman wrote:One other thing to consider is your social contacts which will likely change in retirement, especially over time. My social contacts outside of family were largely centered around my work. However, I established new social contacts and friends through volunteer work, church and other activities I do in retirement. Some, myself included, have to make a conscious effort to expand their social contacts in retirement.

Extremely good and important point.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:34 pm

The Wizard wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote: I know some people who have a much better time on their vacation after it is over and they are telling people about it than when they are actually there. They are actually pretty miserable on the trips but everything is legendary once they get home and talk to friends.
This is strangely interesting and definitely not my experience over the past 45 years of traveling.
My dive trip last month to Ambergris Caye, Belize, for instance, was "good" but not super great.
I think we both agreed afterwards that we don't need to be in a rush to go back there too soon.
In contrast, I'd return to Bonaire or Cozumel next week if a great chance presented itself.

I think it's possible that the more experienced you get with personalized travel, the better you get at it.

And since today's focus is retirement, it's better to have done your training wheel exercises with certain activities well prior to cutting loose...
Your contribution to the thread below would be most appreciated.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=215719

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:36 pm

Sandtrap wrote:
TheTimeLord wrote:

Thank you for sharing.
For myself. The "process" has taken over 6 years and counting. I'm sure it is because liquidating a business takes time as well as complete change in logistics, LCOL to HCOL, and so forth -- vs retiring from employment with a pension, etc, etc. And, as a workaholic who absolutely loves business ventures, it is a new world indeed. Perhaps I need to watch the movie, "The Bucket List" with Morgan Freeman another time. (kidding)
Yes. From comfort zone to comfort zone. Familiarity to a new familiarity.
Congratulations.
And thank you for introducing a very good thread.
I am planning to visit several different areas of the country to decide if we want to move or stay put. There is one community in particular that has intrigued me for a couple years that I am looking forward to visiting soon.

TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord » Wed Apr 05, 2017 1:40 pm

may pop wrote:After working at a physical job for 40+ years I am starting the get ready to go process. About 1 year.
I work a little each day on the "R Project" as the wife calls it. A couple of Excel sheets. This helps me get going the next day as each seems to get worse. I cant wait for the next phase of my life. Maybe get more than 5 1/2 hours sleep a night and no more 96 miles a day of commuting.

Ron
A lot of the people I know have said they look forward to getting in shape once they retire including a good friend who retired late 2016. As I told him my plan is to get in shape before retiring. We have sort of a contest going to see who can make the most progress. That's right its Old Retired Guy vs. Old Working Guy for the title!

Sandtrap

Post by Sandtrap » Wed Apr 05, 2017 5:28 pm

TheTimeLord wrote: I am planning to visit several different areas of the country to decide if we want to move or stay put. There is one community in particular that has intrigued me for a couple years that I am looking forward to visiting soon.
Great plan. DW and I did it based on HCOL to LCOL. Took trips over the past 30 years figuring out where to "settle". Luckily, ended up going from one of the top 3 HCOL to one of the bottom 5 HCOL in the country. Made a huge difference in financial security.