Advice needed Gifting a car to a daughter who is moving out of state

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
bikechuck

Advice needed Gifting a car to a daughter who is moving out of state

Post by bikechuck » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:56 am

My younger daughter finished her PhD at the University of Michigan yesterday. I want to gift her a four year old car that I purchased primarily for her use a while back. She currently has an Ohio drivers license but is moving to California to live with her fiancé with plans to marry later this year. I see two paths to accomplishing this

1) Visit the Ohio DMV and transfer everything while she is still an Ohio resident and then let her change everything to California after she has completed her move and obtained a California drivers license.

2) Have her get her California drivers license now and before we visit the Ohio DMV. Would it then be possible to do any required paperwork at the Ohio DMV if we visit together?

I want to do this in a sensible manner with as few duplicate costs as possible and with minimal trips to Ohio and California DMVs. Also important to stay in touch with the car insurance folks and ensure that coverage is maintained as ownership is transferred.

Honestly, I have no clue how to best accomplish this and every time I try to think it through on my own I want to reach for my jar of Excedrin! Any advice would be most appreciated.

NotWhoYouThink

Re: Advice needed Gifting a car to a daughter who is moving out of state

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:10 am

Let her figure it out. She is an adult.

We gave our daughter a car when she graduated from college. It was one we bought had bought used for her to use. She looked up the requirements in her state to do the transfer, sent us the forms to fill out documenting it was a gift from a family member so she didn't have to pay sales tax, contacted Geico to get the insurance set up, and handled all the details.

EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:13 am

Your daughter will need the title for your car, plus the current insurance policy # that you have. Frequently the new insurance company wants the current policy number when a gift between family members. Easier to have more information than insufficient.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:13 am

bikechuck wrote:My younger daughter finished her PhD at the University of Michigan yesterday. I want to gift her a four year old car that I purchased primarily for her use a while back. She currently has an Ohio drivers license but is moving to California to live with her fiancé with plans to marry later this year. I see two paths to accomplishing this
1) Visit the Ohio DMV and transfer everything while she is still an Ohio resident and then let her change everything to California after she has completed her move and obtained a California drivers license.
2) Have her get her California drivers license now and before we visit the Ohio DMV. Would it then be possible to do any required paperwork at the Ohio DMV if we visit together?
I want to do this in a sensible manner with as few duplicate costs as possible and with minimal trips to Ohio and California DMVs. Also important to stay in touch with the car insurance folks and ensure that coverage is maintained as ownership is transferred.
Honestly, I have no clue how to best accomplish this and every time I try to think it through on my own I want to reach for my jar of Excedrin! Any advice would be most appreciated.
Seems to me that if you have a free and clear title, you could sign it over to her - and let her take care of it when se gets to California

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:24 am

When she does the research she may find that there is a fee to transfer the title in Ohio, and another fee to re-register it in California. Let her tell you which way is cheaper.

bikechuck

Post by bikechuck » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:26 am

dm200 wrote:
bikechuck wrote:My younger daughter finished her PhD at the University of Michigan yesterday. I want to gift her a four year old car that I purchased primarily for her use a while back. She currently has an Ohio drivers license but is moving to California to live with her fiancé with plans to marry later this year. I see two paths to accomplishing this
Seems to me that if you have a free and clear title, you could sign it over to her - and let her take care of it when se gets to California
So once I sign it over to her, she can continue to use the existing license plates and registration until she moves everything over in California?

Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:40 am

Everything she will need to know on the California side is available here www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv

Cali has some of the highest costs in the country so she could save some $ by planning accordingly.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:02 pm

Just went through this with my daughter. All she needed in Missouri was a title signed away by me. All she had to pay was Missouri's registration fee. If she had titled it at home first and then done it in Missouri she would end up paying the registration fees in both places.

But you have to be careful. Some states charge sales tax if the owner hasn't owned the car for x number of months. Some of those states do offer an exemption for parental gifts.

Every state is different. You have to do some research on California rules. You can do it on the internet at the DMV's website but it may be difficult to find your specific case. Call a private tag and title expediter company if they have them in California. They would know all the rules.

kmurp

Post by kmurp » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:11 pm

She will need insurance as well. When I did this last year (ny to mass), we had to take her off our family policy and she had to get her own mass based policy.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:26 pm

NotWhoYouThink wrote:Let her figure it out. She is an adult.
That's what we did. It worked with no hassle to me at all.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:36 pm

We let our son decide if he wanted the beater of 87Camry in 2009. He loved it because it was big enough to haul friends and outdoorsy equipment. Car was parked on the street at his new location. Got dinged fairly often and some major damage in a hitnrun but did not affect safety or drivability. We wanted him to get a newer car for their safety improvements.
His choice, his decision. :sharebeer
Last edited by itstoomuch on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo

NotWhoYouThink

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:41 pm

Call a private tag and title expediter company if they have them in California. They would know all the rules.
Here's the new thing I learned today. There are private tag and title expediter companies!! But this board is the last place I would expect to see them recommended. OK, back when I was at MegaCorp and had a couple of kids and some other obligations it might have helped, just would not have occurred to me to discover their existence.

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:20 pm

dm200 wrote: Seems to me that if you have a free and clear title, you could sign it over to her - and let her take care of it when she gets to California
^This. However read the rules of the CA dmv and gifting. She should get her drivers license and car registration within 10 days of moving to CA or else there will be large fees. But this is the easiest and cheapest way to go about this. I would make sure though there is always insurance on the vehicle.