Obamacare or Medicare

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Canadian

Obamacare or Medicare

Post by Canadian » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:48 pm

Currently I am enrolled in Obamacare. Next year I will be eligible only to buy Medicare ( I don't have 40 points, because I came from Canada to be with my children and did not work in US). My question is: If i will continue to stay with Obamacare, because it is much chipper for me, would I be charged with penalty for late enrollment to Medicare if Obamacare will be canceled in future?

Cyclesafe

Re: Obamacare or Medicare

Post by Cyclesafe » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:43 am

This is unknowable.

dodecahedron

Post by dodecahedron » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:00 am

Canadian wrote:Currently I am enrolled in Obamacare. Next year I will be eligible only to buy Medicare ( I don't have 40 points, because I came from Canada to be with my children and did not work in US). My question is: If i will continue to stay with Obamacare, because it is much chipper for me, would I be charged with penalty for late enrollment to Medicare if Obamacare will be canceled in future?

See here for official information for people on ACA exchange plans who are about to reach Medicare eligibility age (65):

https://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-change ... lapse-5018

My reading of the rules is that yes, you will face a penalty for late enrollment in Medicare. The only exception is if you are actively working AND covered by an employer health insurance plan at your workplace OR under spouse coverage from a spouse who is still actively working. There is no exception to the penalty for folks who choose to stay on an ACA exchange plan.

misterno

Post by misterno » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:20 am

You can not get medicare because you did not have enough working credits which is 40

You can get obamacare but it is not available thru the website. You need to contact each health insurance companies one by one. They will give you a specialized rate which will be very high due to your age.

drawpoker

Post by drawpoker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:37 am

misterno wrote:You can not get medicare because you did not have enough working credits which is 40
That is incorrect. Spouses who did not work, and are therefore not eligible for Social Security on their own, are eligible for Medicare through the spouse.
Last edited by drawpoker on Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

misterno

Post by misterno » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:39 am

Canadian wrote:Currently I am enrolled in Obamacare. Next year I will be eligible only to buy Medicare ( I don't have 40 points, because I came from Canada to be with my children and did not work in US). My question is: If i will continue to stay with Obamacare, because it is much chipper for me, would I be charged with penalty for late enrollment to Medicare if Obamacare will be canceled in future?
Howcome obamacare is cheaper than medicare when you over 60 years old? I do not know your exact age but obamacare premium skyrockets as you age especially if you are over 60

misterno

Post by misterno » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:39 am

drawpoker wrote:
misterno wrote:You can not get medicare because you did not have enough working credits which is 40
That is incorrect. Spouses who did not work, and are therefore not eligible for Social Security, are eligible for Medicare through the spouse.
You are right, my bad

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:42 am

drawpoker wrote:
That is incorrect. Spouses who did not work, and are therefore not eligible for Social Security, are eligible for Medicare through the spouse.
OP can buy in to Medicare even if he's never worked in the US and does not have a spouse who has done so. See http://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-ins ... are_9.html

misterno

Post by misterno » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:54 am

Rupert wrote:
drawpoker wrote:
OP can buy in to Medicare even if he's never worked in the US and does not have a spouse who has done so. See http://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-ins ... are_9.html
I see so you can enroll to Medicare by paying out of pocket

I understand now why OP says obamacare is cheaper. that makes sense

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:59 am

misterno wrote: Howcome obamacare is cheaper than medicare when you over 60 years old? I do not know your exact age but obamacare premium skyrockets as you age especially if you are over 60
That depends on where you live. New York State implemented community rating years ago, so health coverage costs are not affected by age. There are other states with some degree of community rating requirements, but I don't know if any of them absolutely forbid variations based on age as New York does.