Medigap Plan F Increases

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
drawpoker
Posts: 1644
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by drawpoker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:10 pm

Am entering my 4th year on Medicare, signed up for Plan F from the git-go.
Today I got my renewal notice (BC-BS Maryland) My new premium for this year represents a 16% increase.

Previous increases were: 8.1% in 2015 and 12.8% in 2016.

How do these percentages compare with the rest of you that are on Plan F?

(Please, not interested in advice on switching to lower cost Medigap plan or Medicare Advantage, no thanks.
Just would like to hear from others (know there are lots of members here also on Plan F) so I can compare my experiences, good or bad. )

Thanks

User avatar
Steelersfan
Posts: 3439
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 8:47 pm

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by Steelersfan » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:22 pm

Western PA Plan F here.

10% increase in 2017 (to $215.00 a month) after a 6% increase in 2016.

User avatar
legio XX
Posts: 432
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:37 am
Location: NYC

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by legio XX » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:50 pm

I'm up 11% since 2013, but the rates are higher here in New York. Paying $279 right now.

Vic

Gill
Posts: 4330
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 8:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by Gill » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:07 pm

Try the Plan F High Deductible. My premiums runs about $1100 a year.
Gill

minesweep
Posts: 1181
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:17 pm
Location: PA

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by minesweep » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:14 pm

For the first 9 months of 2016 I was paying $212.93/month for Medigap Plan F. In October 2016 the monthly payment increased to $227.84. For 2017 I switched my healthcare provider from Mutual of Omaha to Cigna Total Choice. My monthly payment for 2017 is $201.57 (a 13% decrease from the October increase with Mutual of Omaha). I turned 72 last month.

Ron
Posts: 6302
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 pm

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by Ron » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:28 pm

Eastern PA, with AARP UHP Plan F:

2015 rate: 0.0% increase (from 2014 initial age 65 rate)
2016 rate: 7.5% increase
2017 rate: 6.3% increase

It might not be the cheapest plan around (current monthly rate of $152.92) but it's fully refunded via my former company's retirement HRA. To get the reimbursement, you must use their Medicare marketplace (Towers Watson) and this is one of the plans available in my area of the country. I'm not complaining :mrgreen: ...

- Ron

User avatar
dodecahedron
Posts: 3588
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:28 pm

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by dodecahedron » Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:49 pm

Gill wrote:Try the Plan F High Deductible. My premiums runs about $1100 a year.
Gill
I am considering a Medicare high deductible MSA plan. Even higher deductible than plan F high-deductible, but premiums are $0/month and the plan deposits $1800 per year into a Medical Savings Account (MSA), which I can use for any medical expenses (including those not covered by Medicare, e.g., vision and dental, and which allows unused balances to be rolled forward.) It is a PPO-POS plan, which allows me to use any provider anywhere in the country who accepts Medicare.

http://www.joinmvpmedicare.com/msafrommvp/

(Note that the link says they will deposit $1500 into a MSA, but that's in another part of the state. It is $1800 here.)

Since I am fortunate to be in excellent general health and hope to remain that way for a while, it makes a lot of sense to choose this for now. In addition to the MSA, I also have a substantial HSA balance available to pay for medical expenses in any high expense years.

(In my state (NY), I have the right to switch into any other MA or Medigap plan available in the future without underwriting, should I choose to do so.)

User avatar
BostonBoy
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:10 pm
Location: New Smyrna Beach

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by BostonBoy » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:39 pm

Florida AARP UHC Plan F ;

Initial Coverage 2015 $173.47
2016 No increase
2017 No increase

robertalpert
Posts: 446
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2007 10:09 pm

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by robertalpert » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:11 pm

Here in Ohio, My wife (age 67) had an 8% increase for plan F in 2017. She now pays $162 /month.

I have plan G and had a zero percent increase in 2017 (age 66) @ $126 / month.

Nearly all plans in Ohio increase with attained age. Is your state an attained age state(s) or an issue age state?

montanagirl
Posts: 931
Joined: Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:55 pm
Location: Montana

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by montanagirl » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:39 pm

With Equitable 3 years, issue age, went from $136 to 145 to 158 this year. Not sure what I'm going to do when the rates really spike after 2020. :(

drawpoker
Posts: 1644
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by drawpoker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:40 pm

robertalpert wrote:Nearly all plans in Ohio increase with attained age. Is your state an attained age state(s) or an issue age state?
If you are asking me ? (the OP) - Maryland does not regulate that aspect of the Medicare supplement market. The 36-odd insurers licensed here to sell Medigap are allowed to use any of the 3 = issue, attained, or community rated. (Only AARP-UHC uses community)

At the time I had to choose 4 years ago - my bad luck - the only one in MD who offered Plan F using issue-age method, not attained age, was a benevolent, fraternal society type insurer based in Goshen Indiana. You probably know who I mean.
As much as I wanted to get in on an issue-age rated plan (which would greatly protect me from high annual increases in later years) I decided to forego it. As I would have had to make some, er, declarations of faith to show that I was eligible to join the group and buy their insurance. If you know what I mean.

Didn't care for that angle of it at all.

Maybe that was a mistake.

Also, Maryland is not one of the states that observes open enrollment, no medical underwriting if you want to switch. Nope, looks like I am stuck, as 2 years after I went on Medicare, I was diagnosed with more really bad stuff that no insurer wants to hear about.

drawpoker
Posts: 1644
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by drawpoker » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:46 pm

montanagirl wrote:With Equitable 3 years, issue age, went from $136 to 145 to 158 this year. Not sure what I'm going to do when the rates really spike after 2020. :(
Ah, I remember, montanagirl. Wasn't I one of the ones who sold you on the virtues of issue age?

Am Positively Green with Envy at your $158 premium. I am now up to $223 starting June 1 :( :( :( :( :(

Only one who beats me so far here is our friend in NY, legio XX :!:

Grasshopper
Posts: 877
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:52 pm

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by Grasshopper » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:12 pm

BCBS medigap F in Arizona increased 5% from $159 to $167.

User avatar
Flobes
Posts: 959
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:40 am

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by Flobes » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:01 am

Colorado AARP UHC Medigap F.

2016: $128.20
2017: $129.95
Last edited by Flobes on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

kaneohe
Posts: 4738
Joined: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:38 pm

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by kaneohe » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:27 am

AARP UHC Plan F.....typical increase over last five yrs.............averaging8.1%/yr for the last 5-6 yrs/
This includes the decreasing discount of-3%/yr so presumably the base increase is 5+%/yr.
Last edited by kaneohe on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Lynette
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by Lynette » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:55 am

Flobes wrote:Colorado AARP UHC Medigap F.

2016: $128.20
2017: $129.95
This is my first year on Medicare. In Michigan I am paying $196 for AARP UHC Medigap F. I may change to an Advantage Plan next year. I have to choose one of the plans that one of my former employers has on an Exchange as I get a supplement from them.

minesweep
Posts: 1181
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:17 pm
Location: PA

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by minesweep » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:45 am

Ron wrote:Eastern PA, with AARP UHP Plan F:

2015 rate: 0.0% increase (from 2014 initial age 65 rate)
2016 rate: 7.5% increase
2017 rate: 6.3% increase

It might not be the cheapest plan around (current monthly rate of $152.92) but it's fully refunded via my former company's retirement HRA. To get the reimbursement, you must use their Medicare marketplace (Towers Watson) and this is one of the plans available in my area of the country. I'm not complaining :mrgreen: ...

- Ron
My plan goes through Tower Watson too. So I receive a healthcare reimbursement arrangement from my former employer as well. It's a fixed amount ($487.50 a quarter).

Ron
Posts: 6302
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 7:46 pm

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by Ron » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:55 am

minesweep wrote: My plan goes through Tower Watson too. So I receive a healthcare reimbursement arrangement from my former employer as well. It's a fixed amount ($487.50 a quarter).
Probably not; we (me/wife) get funded on an annual basis for a total of $5k/year.

- Ron

minesweep
Posts: 1181
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:17 pm
Location: PA

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by minesweep » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:35 am

Ron wrote:
minesweep wrote: My plan goes through Tower Watson too. So I receive a healthcare reimbursement arrangement from my former employer as well. It's a fixed amount ($487.50 a quarter).
Probably not; we (me/wife) get funded on an annual basis for a total of $5k/year.

- Ron
I removed my comment about possibly working at the same company (before you posted a reply). At first I thought that because we were both from eastern PA that might be the case. Then I reread your post and realized that (unlike me) you HRA was fully refunded by your former employer. I only did this reply so anyone reading your reply would make better sense of it.

User avatar
plannerman
Posts: 671
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: NC Mountains

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by plannerman » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:48 am

High deductible Plan F in NC, $432, times two for spouse. Slight decrease from 2016.

plannerman

User avatar
Sheepdog
Posts: 5008
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:05 pm
Location: Indiana, retired 1998 at age 65

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:52 am

When I had Medigap F or G plans the premiums increased with age and with higher percentage increases(upper 10s and 20s) in my late 70s to the point when I reached 80 the cost was too high. I then changed to an Advantage plan which is saving me over $2000 each year with good coverage. My wife also changed last year at age 76 to a different Advantage plan with similar savings.
These statistics for us may be of interest to some of you.

INSURANCE COSTS BY YEAR for 2 retired persons
2010 $4310 (plan Gs plus prescription coverage) Male age 77, Female age 70
2011 $4543
2012 $5536
2013 $6427
2014 $3918 (I went to an Advantage Plan while spouse remained with Medigap G) (Advantage plans include prescriptions)
2015 $3918 (Advantage plan dropped in rate while spouse's Plan G increased!!)
2016 $1641 (Spouse went to an Advantage plan also) (Male age 83, Female age 76)

EDIT to add a comparison of TOTAL medical out-of-pocket expenses (insurance, labs, hearing aids, eye care, prescriptions, physician and hospital copays, etc., but not dental)
2013 with plan Gs (last year before going to an Advantage plan) $9144
2016 $4935
People should not say everything they think. They should think about everything they say.

schachtw
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:15 pm

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by schachtw » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:23 am

Age 66
BCBSIL Medigap Plan F (select)
2016 - $148
2017 - $151 2% increase

I feel lucky based on some of the other replies.

User avatar
CWRadio
Posts: 322
Joined: Sat Feb 02, 2008 10:04 am
Location: In the Michigan ionosphere

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by CWRadio » Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:51 pm

This web site has cost comparison for all states and plans. Just use "just run my report..."
Free Medicare Report.
https://www.freemedicarereport.com/

Paul

kd2008
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by kd2008 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:02 pm

I am a baby compared to folks on this thread. I am just playing with numbers to see piece together the whole picture. Please let me know if I left anything out.

(For some instances Part B premiums are lower if also receiving SS.)

It seems

Part A (no premium)
+
Part B (about $134/month) + Medicare Supplement Plan F - high deductible (about $76/month) + Medicare Part D - prescription (about $30/month on the lowest tier) = $255/month or $3060 per year in premiums + $2200 deductible + some exposure for Part D max

Oye this is expensive but limits exposure really well.

or

Part A (no premium)
+
Part B (about $134/month) + Medicare Advantage (about $0/month for cheapest) = $134/month or $1608 per year in premiums + $6700 out-of-pocket max

Not cheap either!

Minimum alternative is

Part A (no premium)
+
Part B (about $134/month) = $134/month or $1608 per year in premiums and ride out prescription costs and no-limit out of pocket

I guess there are network coverage issues esp. if you choose medicare advantage plan or a supplement plan F select (lowers your premiums) beyond what is everyday struggle in finding medicare assignment.

Also medical underwriting issues and age-based and pre-existing condition rating on Medicare supplement plans.

So I can see that relatively healthy folks go with medicare advantage part while chronic condition folks go with plan F.

Something similar to high-deductible plan + hsa for younger families and traditional ppo plans for families needed continued care.

Things you learn on this forum!

kd2008
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by kd2008 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:02 pm

Sheepdog wrote:When I had Medigap F or G plans the premiums increased with age and with higher percentage increases(upper 10s and 20s) in my late 70s to the point when I reached 80 the cost was too high. I then changed to an Advantage plan which is saving me over $2000 each year with good coverage. My wife also changed last year at age 76 to a different Advantage plan with similar savings.
These statistics for us may be of interest to some of you.

INSURANCE COSTS BY YEAR for 2 retired persons
2010 $4310 (plan Gs plus prescription coverage) Male age 77, Female age 70
2011 $4543
2012 $5536
2013 $6427
2014 $3918 (I went to an Advantage Plan while spouse remained with Medigap G) (Advantage plans include prescriptions)
2015 $3918 (Advantage plan dropped in rate while spouse's Plan G increased!!)
2016 $1641 (Spouse went to an Advantage plan also) (Male age 83, Female age 76)

EDIT to add a comparison of TOTAL medical out-of-pocket expenses (insurance, labs, hearing aids, eye care, prescriptions, physician and hospital copays, etc., but not dental)
2013 with plan Gs (last year before going to an Advantage plan) $9144
2016 $4935
This was very helpful. Thanks for sharing!

Lynette
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by Lynette » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:29 pm

kd2008 wrote:I am a baby compared to folks on this thread. I am just playing with numbers to see piece together the whole picture. Please let me know if I left anything out.

Part B (about $134/month)

I pay $270 (IRMAA) +- $30 premium for Medicare D. My problem is that I worked till 73 and have pensions from 2 companies, full SS and RMDs so I have to pay higher Medicare premiums.

So I can see that relatively healthy folks go with medicare advantage part while chronic condition folks go with plan F.

No, I haven't been to a doctor for 3 months. I had to undergo an underwriting examination for Medigap F as I enrolled into Medicare at 73 after retiring from second Megacorp instead of at 65. You have a window of opportunity at 65 to enroll for any plan. After that age, you have to do underwriting. If you have pre-existing conditions, you may not be accepted.

Things you learn on this forum!
I'm planning to go for a wellness examination in a few months after the rush dies down. Most corporations in my area require employees to undergo a wellness test by March 31 and my internist is swamped. The reason I went with Medigap F was that I thought I might relocate and I thought it would be easier to change. I think that some (me also) may prefer to go with a more expensive medigap plan as we might not pass the underwriting leter.

Towers Watson has been absorbed into a Medicare Exchange. Both of my former employers use this Exchange. It is quite funny as I enrolled for Medigap F with the first employer but I got refunds from the second employer. Conference calls with the Medicare Exchange and both employers ensued. I'm getting a refund from the second employer for Medigap F. I submitted paperwork to get a refund from my first employer for the Medicare B premium.

So, I pay about $6,500 each year for Medicare B and D premiums, Medigap F and a cheap Humana Drug program - $17 each month. I get about $3,000 from my first Employer and $2000 from the second employer. Before I retired last year, I was paying about $1500 in premiums and some co-pays.

If one has pensions, SS and RMDs, I think that Medicare is extremely expensive especially as I am healthy. I work at it - swim tomorrow morning at my gym.

drawpoker
Posts: 1644
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by drawpoker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:16 pm

kd2008 wrote:....am just playing with numbers to see piece together the whole picture. Please let me know if I left anything out.

1 ......+ Medicare Supplement Plan F - high deductible (about $76/month) .....



2....Minimum alternative...

...... ride out prescription costs and no-limit out of pocket

As for #1 - Plan F, both regular and HD, is being discontinued in every state as of Jan 1 2020. Unless you turn 65 before then, you won't have that option available.

#2 - If you don't choose a Part D (PDP) and decide to "ride out prescription costs" you will be hit with a substantial penalty when you do eventually sign up (unless you can show you had creditable other Rx coverage from an employer, union, dependent coverage thru spousal, etc or other source.
The penalty for going without Part D follows you the rest of your life, it is not just a one-time penalty. It is calculated based on the number of months you went without; get up in the range of 36 months or so, well, it will put a hurt on you.

S&L1940
Posts: 1570
Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:19 pm
Location: South Florida

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by S&L1940 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:33 pm

AARP United Health Plan F no deductible, went from $130 per month up north to about $190 in Florida (same carrier in same year)
A decade later I am now at $257 with no increase from 2016
So that is $3084 in premiums with no out of pocket costs
Dear Wife started with Omaha World much lower and now is at higher monthly cost than United - close to $300 per month
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

kd2008
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by kd2008 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:22 pm

drawpoker wrote:
kd2008 wrote:....am just playing with numbers to see piece together the whole picture. Please let me know if I left anything out.

1 ......+ Medicare Supplement Plan F - high deductible (about $76/month) .....



2....Minimum alternative...

...... ride out prescription costs and no-limit out of pocket

As for #1 - Plan F, both regular and HD, is being discontinued in every state as of Jan 1 2020. Unless you turn 65 before then, you won't have that option available.

#2 - If you don't choose a Part D (PDP) and decide to "ride out prescription costs" you will be hit with a substantial penalty when you do eventually sign up (unless you can show you had creditable other Rx coverage from an employer, union, dependent coverage thru spousal, etc or other source.
The penalty for going without Part D follows you the rest of your life, it is not just a one-time penalty. It is calculated based on the number of months you went without; get up in the range of 36 months or so, well, it will put a hurt on you.
Yeah plan f will go away and everyone's new best friend will be plan g and plan f hd will become plan g hd (new thing starting 2020) so a deductible of 183$ for all plans offered. No biggie.

kd2008
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by kd2008 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:33 pm

Lynette wrote:
kd2008 wrote:I am a baby compared to folks on this thread.

So I can see that relatively healthy folks go with medicare advantage part while chronic condition folks go with plan F.

No, I haven't been to a doctor for 3 months. I had to undergo an underwriting examination for Medigap F as I enrolled into Medicare at 73 after retiring from second Megacorp instead of at 65. You have a window of opportunity at 65 to enroll for any plan. After that age, you have to do underwriting. If you have pre-existing conditions, you may not be accepted.

Things you learn on this forum!
You are wrong or were duped. See direct from medicare website below.

When your employer coverage ends, you'll get a chance to enroll in Part B without a late enrollment penalty. That means your Medigap open enrollment period will start when you're ready to take advantage of it. If you enrolled in Part B while you still had the employer coverage, your Medigap open enrollment period would start. Unless you bought a Medigap policy before you needed it, you’d miss your open enrollment period entirely

See
https://www.medicare.gov/supplement-oth ... lapse-2510
Last edited by kd2008 on Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lynette
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by Lynette » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:45 pm

Maybe I did not explain my situation clearly. I retired on 12/31/2016. That is when my employer's coverage ended. As I retired at the age of 73 instead of 65 when most people start Medicare, I had to prove to Medicare that I had coverage until 12/31/2016. I paid Medicare B and D premiums effective 1/1/2017 - about $300 a month. I enrolled for Medigap F and Humana Drug D prescription plan effective 1/1/2017. I did not have duplicate coverage for any period.

kd2008
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by kd2008 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:51 pm

Lynette wrote:Maybe I did not explain my situation clearly. I retired on 12/31/2016. That is when my employer's coverage ended. As I retired at the age of 73 instead of 65 when most people start Medicare, I had to prove to Medicare that I had coverage until 12/31/2016. I paid Medicare B and D premiums effective 1/1/2017 - about $300 a month. I enrolled for Medigap F and Humana Drug D prescription plan effective 1/1/2017. I did not have duplicate coverage for any period.
Got it. So there was no medical underwriting involved here. Just that you had to prove you had employer coverage till you decided to enroll in medicare. You were in special enrollment period post employer coverage. Also because of it you were eligible for open enrollment for medigap policy granting you guaranteed coverage. And you completed your enrollment and all is good. :)

Lynette
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by Lynette » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:08 pm

Maybe I don't really understand what medical underwriting is. To get Medicare B, I worked with SS. To get AARP Medigap F, I had to answer a whole lot of questions. This was administered by the Medicare Health Exchange. I had to do a voice signature. I was sent a copy of my answers by UHC AARP. I assumed that this was underwriting.

Many people were confused about how to deal with my situation as I worked past the usual Medicare age of 65. SS told me I had to provide proof that I had had creditable health care coverage and sent me a form to fill in when I called the Medicare number. An HR Rep with whom I dealt at my company told me I did not need this as my W2 proved that I had health care coverage. I told the HR Rep to please provide it to me. They got the date of my coverage wrong. After several visits to SS office, calls to the Medicare number etc. I finally got my Medicare B card.

drawpoker
Posts: 1644
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by drawpoker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:50 pm

Lynette wrote:Maybe I don't really understand what medical underwriting is. To get Medicare B, I worked with SS. To get AARP Medigap F, I had to answer a whole lot of questions. This was administered by the Medicare Health Exchange. I had to do a voice signature. I was sent a copy of my answers by UHC AARP. I assumed that this was underwriting.

Many people were confused about how to deal with my situation as I worked past the usual Medicare age of 65. SS told me I had to provide proof that I had had creditable health care coverage and sent me a form to fill in when I called the Medicare number. An HR Rep with whom I dealt at my company told me I did not need this as my W2 proved that I had health care coverage. I told the HR Rep to please provide it to me. They got the date of my coverage wrong. After several visits to SS office, calls to the Medicare number etc. I finally got my Medicare B card.
Wow. A whole lot of mistakes here.

The HR rep gave you bad info. A W-2 is NOT considered by SSA and Medicare as proof of "creditable". Not by a long shot. There is an actual form for this dictated by Medicare/CMS - shame on your company's HR people for their ignorance!

When you applied for your AARP-UHC Medigap Plan F - if you had to "answer a whole lot of questions" that doesn't sound like they honored your status as an applicant entitled to the Guarantee Issue Period.

Guarantee Issue period is essentially the same as Open Enrollment period - they can't ask you any, not a single one, about your existing health. (Only exception to this: tobacco use is permitted)

What were the "whole lot of questions" you were required to answer to get your Plan F insurance?

drawpoker
Posts: 1644
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by drawpoker » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:05 pm

kd2008 wrote:Yeah plan f will go away and everyone's new best friend will be plan g and plan f hd will become plan g hd (new thing starting 2020) so a deductible of 183$ for all plans offered. No biggie.
No biggie?

will become plan g-hd? new thing starting 2020?

Yes, it has been brought up, but to my knowledge, Congress has yet to act on it. Make it law in other words.

Do you have definite info that it has passed? Link? Please?

Even if such a Plan G-HD becomes a reality, do you really think that today's Part B deductible ( $183) won't be significantly higher three years from now ?

I damm sure do. :(

kd2008
Posts: 558
Joined: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by kd2008 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:31 pm

drawpoker wrote:
kd2008 wrote:Yeah plan f will go away and everyone's new best friend will be plan g and plan f hd will become plan g hd (new thing starting 2020) so a deductible of 183$ for all plans offered. No biggie.
No biggie?

will become plan g-hd? new thing starting 2020?

Yes, it has been brought up, but to my knowledge, Congress has yet to act on it. Make it law in other words.

Do you have definite info that it has passed? Link? Please?

Even if such a Plan G-HD becomes a reality, do you really think that today's Part B deductible ( $183) won't be significantly higher three years from now ?

I damm sure do. :(
http://www.naic.org/documents/committee ... 200101.pdf

This is one of the comprehensive docs I found online.

Bill text is clear too
(4) Treatment of references to certain policies.--In the
case of a newly eligible Medicare beneficiary, except as the
Secretary may otherwise provide, any reference in this section
to a medicare supplemental policy which has a benefit package
classified as `C' or `F' shall be deemed, as of January 1, 2020,
to be a reference to a medicare supplemental policy which has a
benefit package classified as `D' or `G', respectively.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-con ... ill/2/text

search for 401 on that page and go to second instance.

With that text F high deductible becomes G high deductible for new beneficiaries signing up in 2020. Already enrolled folks are grandfathered in. And plan G does not cover Part B deductible.

This bill is law of the land.

Part B deductible will rise but that increase formula is also set in stone. Dont have the text handy for that.

Lynette
Posts: 1702
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:47 am

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by Lynette » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:29 am

drawpoker wrote:
Lynette wrote:Maybe I don't really understand what medical underwriting is. To get Medicare B, I worked with SS. To get AARP Medigap F, I had to answer a whole lot of questions. This was administered by the Medicare Health Exchange. I had to do a voice signature. I was sent a copy of my answers by UHC AARP. I assumed that this was underwriting.

Many people were confused about how to deal with my situation as I worked past the usual Medicare age of 65. SS told me I had to provide proof that I had had creditable health care coverage and sent me a form to fill in when I called the Medicare number. An HR Rep with whom I dealt at my company told me I did not need this as my W2 proved that I had health care coverage. I told the HR Rep to please provide it to me. They got the date of my coverage wrong. After several visits to SS office, calls to the Medicare number etc. I finally got my Medicare B card.
Wow. A whole lot of mistakes here.

The HR rep gave you bad info. A W-2 is NOT considered by SSA and Medicare as proof of "creditable". Not by a long shot. There is an actual form for this dictated by Medicare/CMS - shame on your company's HR people for their ignorance!

When you applied for your AARP-UHC Medigap Plan F - if you had to "answer a whole lot of questions" that doesn't sound like they honored your status as an applicant entitled to the Guarantee Issue Period.

Guarantee Issue period is essentially the same as Open Enrollment period - they can't ask you any, not a single one, about your existing health. (Only exception to this: tobacco use is permitted)

What were the "whole lot of questions" you were required to answer to get your Plan F insurance?
Thanks for clarifying this for me. I looked at the document from AARP and it seems that my status was guaranteed and I did not have to answer the questions about my health and I was allowed to skip them.

I found the whole process Medicare enrollment process confusing as did many of the agents to whom I spoke. After my initial meeting with SS, I gave them all of my documents and was told I would get my Medicare B card in a month. It did not arrive. I called Medicare and was given different excuses. I even filled in another application. As my HR Rep filled in the form incorrectly, it seems the SS agents simply ignored my application. Finally I went back to the SS office determined to sort it out. Finally I was given to the SS "problem solving" lady. She was able to determine that I had had coverage through my employer. She said that the SS office was only an agency for Medicare and many of their agents did not know the Medicare rules. Four months after I started this process, I got my Medicare B card.

Three months later it seems that Medicare B and D premiums are being deducted from my SS check and I'm enrolled in AARP Medigap F and Humana Drug coverage - and I'm getting my HRA refunds. This whole process has taken me seven months.

drawpoker
Posts: 1644
Joined: Mon May 19, 2014 6:33 pm
Location: Delmarva

Re: Medigap Plan F Increases

Post by drawpoker » Wed Apr 05, 2017 8:02 am

kd2008 wrote: http://www.naic.org/documents/committee ... 200101.pdf

This is one of the comprehensive docs I found online.

Bill text is clear too
(4) Treatment of references to certain policies.--In the
case of a newly eligible Medicare beneficiary, except as the
Secretary may otherwise provide, any reference in this section
to a medicare supplemental policy which has a benefit package
classified as `C' or `F' shall be deemed, as of January 1, 2020,
to be a reference to a medicare supplemental policy which has a
benefit package classified as `D' or `G', respectively.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/114th-con ... ill/2/text

search for 401 on that page and go to second instance.

With that text F high deductible becomes G high deductible for new beneficiaries signing up in 2020. Already enrolled folks are grandfathered in. And plan G does not cover Part B deductible.

This bill is law of the land.

Part B deductible will rise but that increase formula is also set in stone. Dont have the text handy for that.
Let's clarify.

The first link you posted is a draft document from March 1 2016 requesting comments. In that draft, a proposed new standardized Plan G-high deduct is included.

However, as commonly happens with Congress, changes were made to the final bill which passed and the creation of a new standardized Plan didn't make it in. Re-read Sec. 401.

What is most likely, however, is what I am seeing from insurance agents on their blogs - that yes, Congress will eventually take action prior to 2020 and authorization of such a new Plan.

However, keep in mind, the insurance companies in every state are allowed to pick and choose which Medicare supplement plans they offer. There is no law that says every insurer who offers Medigap policies must carry every single one of the existing ten (10) plans.

Since you have approximately thirty years to go before you are eligible for Medicare, you have plenty of time to scroll thru the various state's insurance websites to see this for yourself.

IOW, even tho it is likely such a creature as Plan G- HD will spring into existence, there is no guarantee it will be available to you where you are living then. Even the big ones - for ex BC-BS for the section of the state where I live - did not offer Plan F-HD 4 years ago, and still doesn't. (Correction: Just checked, they are now offering F-HD.
But Aetna, Mutual of Omaha, AARP-UHC, and numerous others have turned up their noses at F-HD.
I imagine they will do the same with a G-HD

See for yourself

http://insurance.maryland.gov/Consumer/ ... -Guide.pdf

New York is very similar in findings

http://www.dfs.ny.gov/consumer/caremain.htm#insurer

Even in Little-itty-bitty Vermont, same picture

http://www.dfr.vermont.gov/sites/defaul ... 3-17_1.pdf

Post Reply