Got my second comma -- what is this anticlimactic feeling?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
TheMoneyRat

Got my second comma -- what is this anticlimactic feeling?

Post by TheMoneyRat »

So with our paychecks last Friday, we crossed over $1mm in cash and investments. Why does it feel so anticlimactic? Maybe it's because we crossed over the million-dollar net worth hurdle in 2016 taking into account home value -- but honestly I thought I'd feel more excited about officially hitting "millionaire next door" status. (About me: age 48, kids about to start college, wife works, we live well below our means but pretty comfortably given total income).

Anyone else experience this?

TheMoneyRat
bligh

Re: Got my second comma -- what is this anticlimactic feeling?

Post by bligh »

Congratulations!

It is an awesome milestone and the anti climactic feeling is probably your rational brain telling you there isn't THAT much of a difference between 996K and 1002K.

Tell that rational part of your brain to shut up for once and bask in this milestone you have crossed that few people have crossed. Yes it is an arbitrary number and based of the decimal system. So what? :happy
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

I know exactly what you mean. As far as motivation treat yourself to a double shot of Johnnie Walker Black :beer at $1,000,000 and every $100,000 after that. After $2,500,000 switch to Johnnie Walker Blue. :sharebeer
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

TheMoneyRat wrote:So with our paychecks last Friday, we crossed over $1mm in cash and investments. Why does it feel so anticlimactic? Maybe it's because we crossed over the million-dollar net worth hurdle in 2016 taking into account home value -- but honestly I thought I'd feel more excited about officially hitting "millionaire next door" status. (About me: age 48, kids about to start college, wife works, we live well below our means but pretty comfortably given total income).

TheMoneyRat
It is because 1 million isn't enough to retire. Knowing nothing about you, you probably need to hit 2-3 million to be financially independant and able to live your current lifestyle
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

Probably because you know that the 8 year bull market has to end sometime, and when it does, you will drop back. But crack open a cold one now - you have earned it!
Topic Author
TheMoneyRat

Post by TheMoneyRat »

randomguy wrote:
It is because 1 million isn't enough to retire. Knowing nothing about you, you probably need to hit 2-3 million to be financially independant and able to live your current lifestyle
Yeah, my number is $2mm outside our retirement accounts, plus college costs, kids out of the house, plus my wife working until at least 60 (which she wants to do). House already paid off. Target date is 55 years old. Not a super-early retirement but good enough for me. 7 years is long enough to seem frustratingly far away but close enough that I can smell it.

TMR
Abe

Post by Abe »

I know what you mean, but keep in mind that a million dollars is still a lot of money. It's quite an achievement to reach a million net worth. Congratulations. Take you wife out to eat and celebrate.
Slow and steady wins the race.
JohnFiscal

Post by JohnFiscal »

Perhaps it's maturational, over your hard work of saving, budgeting, investing, etc, you have learned that while having money is great (better than not having it) it is not an "emotional" thing.

I went through something similar when I graduated university (on the 8 year plan). And I think it's something that Dave Ramsey's "snowball" debt payment theory is missing (and lacking in)...trying to change the emotional connection/thrill to money.
10YearPlan

Post by 10YearPlan »

I think that is a pretty common reaction around these here parts. But this internet stranger thinks it is a big deal and certainly worth noticing and celebrating in some way. My opinion is that if we don't celebrate the milestones accomplished along the way, and enjoy the process of getting from point A to point FI, then what's the point?

At $1M, I'd go out to a nice dinner. Or spring for a bottle of Veuve. Or both. But that is just how I roll.

Then the next day, you can work on the next $M.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

You may be crossing the two comma mark several times.

Maybe it will feel better the second time around :beer
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

TheMoneyRat wrote:So with our paychecks last Friday, we crossed over $1mm in cash and investments. Why does it feel so anticlimactic?
Because folks aren't really special until they cross the 3 comma mark nowadays.

But congratulations. e pluribus unum.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect
bigred77

Post by bigred77 »

I can only tell you that once I achieve 2 commas in net worth including home equity I am going to celebrate big time.

I will then celebrate big time when I reach 2 commas in net worth excluding home equity.

I will then celebrate big time every time I hit some sort of round number goal because I don't understand why you wouldn't :beer
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

TheMoneyRat wrote:So with our paychecks last Friday, we crossed over $1mm in cash and investments. Why does it feel so anticlimactic?
Because it is just an arbitrary number that you can see approaching. It's usually just a slow, roller-coaster-like, grind to get there after you get in the vicinity. And there is no big, sudden boom that changes your life noticeably from what it was the day before.

Having said that, congratulations!
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

When I don't feel excited about passing the two comma mark, I just think about most of my peers who have barely saved past the first comma. That usually does the trick.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

A mild case of impostor syndrome?
Last edited by nisiprius on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Look at it this way: That one million will produce $40k per year that you don't have to work for. Smile. Be happy. :happy
Slow and steady wins the race.
Nthomas

Post by Nthomas »

Personally I think 1M is a significant milestone because at that point even if you stopped contributing and did nothing else it would grow significantly over the next 20 years (3.2 M at 6%).
fishandgolf

Post by fishandgolf »

Chan_va wrote:Probably because you know that the 8 year bull market has to end sometime, and when it does, you will drop back. But crack open a cold one now - you have earned it!
+1....yep
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Congratulations! :sharebeer

Savor the moment, then carry on.

Celebrate again at $2 million.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

TheMoneyRat wrote:So with our paychecks last Friday, we crossed over $1mm in cash and investments. Why does it feel so anticlimactic? Maybe it's because we crossed over the million-dollar net worth hurdle in 2016 taking into account home value -- but honestly I thought I'd feel more excited about officially hitting "millionaire next door" status. (About me: age 48, kids about to start college, wife works, we live well below our means but pretty comfortably given total income).

TheMoneyRat
Anticlimatic because getting to the third comma in wealth is going to be hard...
Attempted new signature...
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

KlingKlang wrote:I know exactly what you mean. As far as motivation treat yourself to a double shot of Johnnie Walker Black :beer at $1,000,000 and every $100,000 after that. After $2,500,000 switch to Johnnie Walker Blue. :sharebeer
I'd rather buy more shares with that money. :greedy
Last edited by Grt2bOutdoors on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
NibbanaBanana

Post by NibbanaBanana »

KlingKlang wrote:I know exactly what you mean. As far as motivation treat yourself to a double shot of Johnnie Walker Black :beer at $1,000,000 and every $100,000 after that. After $2,500,000 switch to Johnnie Walker Blue. :sharebeer
Money doesn't buy happiness now does it. But a good scotch on the other hand.
Nick341981

Post by Nick341981 »

randomguy wrote: It is because 1 million isn't enough to retire. Knowing nothing about you, you probably need to hit 2-3 million to be financially independant and able to live your current lifestyle
I know of more than one couple without kids and several single guys who retired on less than a million. Not having kids helps...A lot
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

TheMoneyRat
I told my spouse yesterday, "Forget about being millionaires! Let's be billionaires! That's our new goal!!"

She now thinks I'm crazy.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

ClevrChico wrote:

TheMoneyRat
I told my spouse yesterday, "Forget about being millionaires! Let's be billionaires! That's our new goal!!"

She now thinks I'm crazy.
There's decent evidence to support her supposition...
:twisted:
Attempted new signature...
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

Here is the real reason.

How Desire Fools Us: The Benefits and Dangers of The Chase

Uber uses something similar in "gaming" their drivers to push on to get more fares. Just as driver might set a goal of earning $200 / day -

To keep drivers on the road, the company has exploited some people’s tendency to set earnings goals — alerting them that they are ever so close to hitting a precious target when they try to log off.

So congrats on hitting a goal but now it's time to reset the goal and get back on the hamster wheel. :sharebeer
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

For me, I do remember a feeling of excitement and exhilaration perhaps seven or eight years before we retired, when I ran the numbers and realized... we were there! It would be a nasty pinch and not where we wanted or planned to be, but we actually had enough that, you know, even if we didn't manage to save another dime, then as soon as we could start claiming Social Security we'd be OK. We could pay the taxes on the house, buy food and keep the lights and the Internet on, and so forth. We were at the stage where if we didn't save any more, retirement would be unpleasant but doable.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Topic Author
TheMoneyRat

Post by TheMoneyRat »

lthenderson wrote:When I don't feel excited about passing the two comma mark, I just think about most of my peers who have barely saved past the first comma. That usually does the trick.
Lol! Not quite schadenfreude -- I wonder if the Germans have a name for what you just decribed?!?

TMR
Topic Author
TheMoneyRat

Post by TheMoneyRat »

Nick341981 wrote:
randomguy wrote: I know of more than one couple without kids and several single guys who retired on less than a million. Not having kids helps...A lot
True . . . but if I had to choose, I'd give up the million in less than a second.

TMR
TravelforFun

Post by TravelforFun »

BolderBoy wrote:
Because folks aren't really special until they cross the 3 comma mark nowadays.
3-comma is $1 billion. Is that what you meant?
vitaflo

Post by vitaflo »

Chan_va wrote:Probably because you know that the 8 year bull market has to end sometime, and when it does, you will drop back. But crack open a cold one now - you have earned it!
Exactly what I thought when we hit this 2 years ago. But we're up another 300k since then so who knows, maybe a market drop won't take away my comma!
bluebolt

Post by bluebolt »

Every time I hit a major goal, it was ahead of schedule. I just kept increasing my goals. It felt pretty anti-climactic, but DW & I do celebrate the big (arbitrary) milestones with a glass of wine or a nice dinner.

What I find to be an interesting thought experiment - If I could whisper into the ear of my twenty-something self and say, "In 20 years you'll have more than a million dollars" and imagine HIS response - it would be utter joy & amazement.
forkhorn

Post by forkhorn »

All these three comma comedians. It does make me wonder though- how far do you have to go back so that a million then was "like" a billion is now? I wouldn't use the price indexes, I don't think we've had that much inflation since recorded history. But if there are a few hundred billionaire families now, and maybe 100 million families in the US, for a billionaire rate of maybe one in, say, 300000 families, I wonder how far back you have to go to when only one in 300,000 families was a millionaire family? Anyone know this?
Teague

Post by Teague »

A comma doesn't go as far as it used to.
Semper Augustus
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

Teague wrote:A comma doesn't go as far as it used to.
Are commas common?
psychoslowmatic

Post by psychoslowmatic »

Not to minimize your accomplishment but it probably has something to do with how it only means that stage 43 (arbitrary) of your retirement plan is complete. Probably the first thousand, crossing 1x salary in the bank, and the first time you gain or lose more in a day than you take home in a paycheck all feel like bigger milestones.
iamlucky13

Post by iamlucky13 »

I've never experienced it, but according to my spreadsheet, I should get there at about the same age (putting me slightly behind your inflation-adjusted pace) as you if my progress continues.

I'm intrigued by it as a curiosity, but I also know it's just an arbitrary number that signifies nothing. Retirement will still almost certainly be another decade or so away, and it will only come somewhere in the middle of a long period of disciplined savings.
PStrider

Post by PStrider »

Perhaps it's because there's two people working together instead of one?

So it would feel like you're actually at $500,000.

At least you're half way there. :sharebeer
Viking65

Post by Viking65 »

Congratulations OP! We hit the same milestone of 2 commas with free and clear house a little later than you at age 49. That was 2 years ago, and we immediately poured the mortgage payment into extra savings and our NW has snowballed since then.
Abe wrote:Look at it this way: That one million will produce $40k per year that you don't have to work for. Smile. Be happy. :happy
This! DW and I call this "The Third Man", who is now working and producing income for us in perpetuity. We like The Third Man.

Keep on keeping on.
alfaspider

Post by alfaspider »

Geezzz. How much do you need before you can get the good stuff?

I'm thinking about a bottle of Caol Ila 27 Year for the $1,000,000 mark.
mrc

Post by mrc »

TheMoneyRat wrote:
lthenderson wrote:When I don't feel excited about passing the two comma mark, I just think about most of my peers who have barely saved past the first comma. That usually does the trick.
Lol! Not quite schadenfreude -- I wonder if the Germans have a name for what you just decribed?!?

TMR
They are farfrumquitin
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Snowjob

Post by Snowjob »

nisiprius wrote:A mild case of impostor syndrome?
That would totally be me if I were a high achiever, so it cant be me.. right wait... but yeah I'm totally of this psychological mind set regardless of my achievements or abilities in anyone else's mind.

When I crossed the two comma mark in my early 30's despite a modest NE salary I felt great for one night, then immediately discounted this as nothing, a consequence of luck, timing, and that I had wasted my years delving into the markets etc etc. In away there is a lot truth to this, but the math does not lie, its at least a significant number even though it may not be a significant achievement.
Index Fan

Post by Index Fan »

It has a hashtag-

#FirstWorldProblems
"Optimum est pati quod emendare non possis." | -Seneca
an_asker

Post by an_asker »

Viking65 wrote:Congratulations OP! We hit the same milestone of 2 commas with free and clear house a little later than you at age 49. That was 2 years ago, and we immediately poured the mortgage payment into extra savings and our NW has snowballed since then.
Abe wrote:Look at it this way: That one million will produce $40k per year that you don't have to work for. Smile. Be happy. :happy
This! DW and I call this "The Third Man", who is now working and producing income for us in perpetuity. We like The Third Man.

Keep on keeping on.
To be PC, you'd want to say "Third Person" for sure! ;-)

That said, it does appear that there are many ways to slice and dice the commas:

- all in
- without the house
- without the house and retirement accounts
- taxable investments only
- cash only
- any more?!! :oops:

Viking65: I am assuming that two years ago, you were in the second bucket above (my understanding is that OP is in bucket #3) :-)
remomnyc

Post by remomnyc »

Congrats. My best guess on why it may be anticlimactic is that maybe it’s not a huge difference versus the last time you checked. It is a big achievement, and you will be stunned how the commas multiply.
Will do good

Post by Will do good »

Take the victory lap, celebrate a little, be happy. You are way ahead of most people in this world.
ysette9

Post by ysette9 »

Congrats!

When we crossed that mark it was definitely a little blip and nothing more. A lot of that probably had to do with the fact that we had just brought home our preemie newborn and had our minds filled with more pressing concerns. It has been exciting to see how quickly that number has risen after crossing that 1M$ mark though. :)
We had the conversation just the other day: can we call ourselves millionaires? Does it not count because it is one million between the two of us? Do we need two million for each of us to be able to call ourselves millionaires? 8-)
Let us go then, you and I, when the evening is spread out against the sky, like a patient etherized upon a table.
Longtermgrowth

Post by Longtermgrowth »

My first thought was: because it's not 1973 when 1mm had the purchasing power of over 5mm today. Dang inflation :annoyed https://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm
staythecourse

Post by staythecourse »

I was the same and felt even less after passing it a second time and now coming up soon a third time.
What I realized after tge first time is it didn't improve my happiness. I started realizing what made me happy was having good health in the family, loving spouse, great kids, full independence at work, and great friends. No matter how much money I could brag about changed any of that. It did not make it better or worse.

I still love seeing the net worth go up, but found out through this journey money did not buy me happiness

I realized I didn't i didn't identify my happiness with net worth, but all those other things above..
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle
GrayS26

Post by GrayS26 »

Good question. I mean I'm 27 basically and I think techinically I'm at the 2 comma mark(?) but for me I feel like maybe there's a lot to worry about nobody knows the future so I just try to spend only a little bit while also trying to have fun.