review paper returns in TaxAct before filing?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
BeerTooth

review paper returns in TaxAct before filing?

Post by BeerTooth » Wed Mar 29, 2017 9:25 pm

This is my first year handling my own return after paying a CPA to do it for several years. I have entered all my info in TaxAct and I want to review the results prior to filing. I have my 2015 paper return and I want to review it side-by-side to make sure I didn't miss anything. Is there a way for me to generate a PDF (with a watermark so I can't steal it without paying of course)?

DSInvestor

Re: review paper returns in TaxAct before filing?

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:16 pm

I can generate a PDF tax return using the download version of TaxAct. Are you using online version or download version?
Wiki

avalpert

Post by avalpert » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:40 pm

In the top right click on 'My Return', click My Return Details, click 'View Summary' and then at the bottom of the box is 'Preview 1040'.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:53 pm

I actually prefer to review the return on the computer rather than on paper, possibly comparing it to the previous year's paper return. If there is something different between the two years, going to the computer version makes it easier to check the reason for the difference.
Wiki David Grabiner

mikep

Post by mikep » Wed Mar 29, 2017 10:57 pm

Go through the efile steps, you can download the full return before sending it to the IRS. The preview 1040 is only the 1040 with no other forms. If something is wrong you can start over efile steps.

Wait its shorter to go through the "print return" steps.. you can go back to efile after that.

calendario

Post by calendario » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:21 pm

I wasn't happy with the 'Preview 1040' option within the online version and wanted a PDF copy of the return for my review. I went through the following steps:

From the 'Filing' tab, select the 'Mail Paper Return' option, follow the screen prompts until you reach the PDF hyperlink. Clicking the link opens a separate window with a PDF copy of the return. I saved down a copy of the PDF for my records before closing out of the window. Once happy with how the return looks, return to the web browser window and select the 'Filing' tab again. Change the filing option to 'E-file My Return' and following the prompts to e-file the return.

*I filed for free with TaxAct so I'm not sure where along the process you're prompted to pay before being allowed to move ahead.

ryman554

Post by ryman554 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:45 am

calendario wrote: *I filed for free with TaxAct so I'm not sure where along the process you're prompted to pay before being allowed to move ahead.
You have to pay before you can see the full return.

BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:53 am

DSInvestor wrote:I can generate a PDF tax return using the download version of TaxAct. Are you using online version or download version?
I am using the online version. I can try the download version when I get home tonight.

BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth » Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:54 am

avalpert wrote:In the top right click on 'My Return', click My Return Details, click 'View Summary' and then at the bottom of the box is 'Preview 1040'.

That lets me see a PDF of my 1040, but I also want to see Schedule A, to make sure I didn't miss any deductions. I'm willing to pay before I see it, as long as it doesn't automatically e-file before I have a chance to check/edit it.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:39 pm

Paying ~$20 for the service seems quite reasonable. Don't go out to eat tomorrow night if you are feeling guilty about paying for the service.

Once you fill everything out, go through the Alerts (all) several times. I also double check my key forms/figures to make sure I didn't type anything in wrong.

You have ample opportunities to check/re-check before the e-file step. Filling out your payment method, printing your return, etc. etc.

You will appreciate using TaxAct next year because all your information will default from last year. Saving you valuable time. :mrgreen:
"We are not here to please, but to provoke thoughtfulness." --Unknown Boglehead