HSA questions

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
sgadlin

HSA questions

Post by sgadlin » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:10 pm

Hello everyone,

I am trying to find an HSA that would work best for my situation. I just recieved a HDHP this year, my wife has one with her work for 2 years. We are expecting our first child in a month or so. Ideally I would use the HSA as an additional retirement account, and it seems Saturna is likely the least expensive option if I make 1 trade per year. However, I am sure we will have some medical expenses this year, and I am not certain how that would work with Saturna if I need to take money out and reimburse myself as they do not offer checks or cards. I was thinking of opening an account somewhere else with debit card etc, and transfering once per year to saturna for investing the excess. I am hopeful after a few years our medical expences will be minimal and we can really save more. Thanks for any advice.

Ethelred

Re: HSA questions

Post by Ethelred » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:18 pm

sgadlin wrote:We are expecting our first child in a month or so.

I am hopeful after a few years our medical expences will be minimal and we can really save more.
I have three children. They may be mostly healthy, but these two statements do not belong in the same post.

theplayer11

Post by theplayer11 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:38 pm

Saturna allows ACH transfers to your bank account..just need to call in

Topic Author
sgadlin

Post by sgadlin » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:03 pm

theplayer11 wrote:Saturna allows ACH transfers to your bank account..just need to call in
If it is all invested in an index fund would you be able to do this?

harvestbook

Post by harvestbook » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:10 pm

The bank transfers themselves are free but I'm unclear if Saturna counts that as a sale and thus a transaction for which a $14.95 to $24.95 fee would apply.

There's a Saturna thread here that might help: viewtopic.php?t=135513

Also more discussion in Best HSA (2017). I'm struggling with similar choices myself. viewtopic.php?t=207051
I'm not smart enough to know, and I can't afford to guess.