Great Lakes making it impossible to apply for Teacher Loan Forgiveness

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
njfastlife

Great Lakes making it impossible to apply for Teacher Loan Forgiveness

Postby njfastlife » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:10 pm

each and every time we submit their cumbersome application they make up issues.

no joke, the latest issue is that there is a gap (you need 5-years consecutive employment) in her teaching employment. there is NO gap. in fact, i have the application she filled out and sent to them. it strictly states she's been employed full-time as a teacher since 2011 and is signed off by school administration.

not only that, but we fax them the application but have to wait 1-week + for their response via snail mail. they're customer service is entirely unhelpful. i even tried connecting with the CEO via LinkedIn to no avail.

i am at a loss as to what to do other than to continue going through this dog and pony show. we are both getting incredibly frustrated and honestly think they are purposely making this entire process incredibly difficult so we just give up (we won't).

any advice for those familiar with this process would be incredibly appreciative.

BrendanP

Re: Great Lakes making it impossible to apply for Teacher Loan Forgiveness

Postby BrendanP » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:34 pm

Which program is it?
Is this the Teacher Loan Forgiveness for working in high-needs subjects in low-income schools?

cherijoh

Postby cherijoh » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:43 pm

njfastlife wrote:each and every time we submit their cumbersome application they make up issues.

no joke, the latest issue is that there is a gap (you need 5-years consecutive employment) in her teaching employment. there is NO gap. in fact, i have the application she filled out and sent to them. it strictly states she's been employed full-time as a teacher since 2011 and is signed off by school administration.

not only that, but we fax them the application but have to wait 1-week + for their response via snail mail. they're customer service is entirely unhelpful. i even tried connecting with the CEO via LinkedIn to no avail.

i am at a loss as to what to do other than to continue going through this dog and pony show. we are both getting incredibly frustrated and honestly think they are purposely making this entire process incredibly difficult so we just give up (we won't).

any advice for those familiar with this process would be incredibly appreciative.

Have you considered sending in a complaint to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)? It appears that they are already investigatng student loan servicers including Great Lakes.

On May 14th, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau announced a probe into the practices of Great Lakes Higher Education Corp along with other loan servicers around the country. Servicers generally receive a monthly flat rate for each account they service, so it is in the servicer’s benefit if a borrower prolongs repaying his loan. The CFBP’s public inquiry is centered on this conflict of interest between the servicers and borrowers.

njfastlife

Postby njfastlife » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:47 pm

BrendanP wrote:Which program is it?
Is this the Teacher Loan Forgiveness for working in high-needs subjects in low-income schools?

Title I

njfastlife

Postby njfastlife » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:48 pm

cherijoh wrote:
njfastlife wrote:each and every time we submit their cumbersome application they make up issues.

Have you considered sending in a complaint to the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB)? It appears that they are already investigatng student loan servicers including Great Lakes.

On May 14th, the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau announced a probe into the practices of Great Lakes Higher Education Corp along with other loan servicers around the country. Servicers generally receive a monthly flat rate for each account they service, so it is in the servicer’s benefit if a borrower prolongs repaying his loan. The CFBP’s public inquiry is centered on this conflict of interest between the servicers and borrowers.

wow...that will be my next step if they try to delay this again.

njfastlife

Postby njfastlife » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:48 pm

cherijoh wrote:

wow...that will be my next step if they try to delay this again.

BrendanP

Postby BrendanP » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:11 pm

Can't speak about your issues specifically and I had a different lender.

Mine took months to go through and I had to submit twice.

The feedback they gave me about errors were not helpful, I had to call to find out what the real issues were, which were multiple.

Some things to check:
They're very specific about the formats of dates.

Ensure your school is listed in the TCLI directory for the years required, exactly as spelled on your application.

Has to be at least five full school years - I had my principal sign it a day before the school year ended, and this was an issue

You can put your loans in forbearance during this time so that you do not have to make payments while you wait.

Good luck!

njfastlife

Postby njfastlife » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:53 pm

BrendanP wrote:Can't speak about your issues specifically and I had a different lender.

Mine took months to go through and I had to submit twice.

The feedback they gave me about errors were not helpful, I had to call to find out what the real issues were, which were multiple.

Some things to check:
They're very specific about the formats of dates.

Ensure your school is listed in the TCLI directory for the years required, exactly as spelled on your application.

Has to be at least five full school years - I had my principal sign it a day before the school year ended, and this was an issue

You can put your loans in forbearance during this time so that you do not have to make payments while you wait.

Good luck!

forbearance on one has run out and the other said it is NOT an option.

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”