Unauthorized account bank security information

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
KlingKlang

Unauthorized account bank security information

Post by KlingKlang » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:52 pm

Apparently my 89 year old mother decided to go to a bank that her friend works at and open up a couple of CDs with my daughter and myself as co-owners, without bothering to inform us of course. Now both of us are getting calls from the bank saying that they need our drivers' license information for "Homeland Security" purposes. My daughter refuses to respond because she wants nothing to do with my mother (don't blame her) and I don't trust this institution because of the massive mistakes that they have made with my accounts in the distant past, plus I have no idea what my mother is up to (she thinks that it's about auto insurance).

Does anyone think that this could be legitimate?

jebmke

Re: Unauthorized account bank security information

Post by jebmke » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:55 pm

the request is probably legitimate. I think they have due diligence requirements under the so-called Patriot Act. If you don't want to be a co-owner I would just inform the bank.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:55 pm

It's normal in the US nowadays. Banks are required to identify account holders, but vary as to what forms of id are required. Most will have a list of what is accepted on their own website. There are, as far as I've seen, always alternatives to the drivers license. But that is an acceptable form of ID at most.

I've typically given my D/L when opening an account. And for the last joint account opening we did, wife and mother-in-law last year, Barclays (US) asked for both drivers licenses (just the numbers, not copies, as far as I recall). We could have substituted other documents had we needed to, though.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:44 pm

DetroitRick wrote:It's normal in the US nowadays. Banks are required to identify account holders, but vary as to what forms of id are required. Most will have a list of what is accepted on their own website. There are, as far as I've seen, always alternatives to the drivers license. But that is an acceptable form of ID at most.

I've typically given my D/L when opening an account. And for the last joint account opening we did, wife and mother-in-law last year, Barclays (US) asked for both drivers licenses (just the numbers, not copies, as far as I recall). We could have substituted other documents had we needed to, though.

Apparently also required to efile a NY State 2016 tax return prepared by software: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/pit/driver-l ... ements.pdf