Fidelity Credit Card Rewards Question

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Vanguard Fan 1367

Fidelity Credit Card Rewards Question

Postby Vanguard Fan 1367 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:21 am

Bogleheads are a knowledgeable group and friendly and helpful. I was looking at a thread on Credit Cards Reward Strategy and figured that someone would know the answer to this question.

Elan not too long ago took over Fidelity's credit card from Fia Card Services. I remember reading that they were going to drop the 2% cash back to 1.5% on the first 15k. Now in going to Fidelity's website and looking where I can on Credit Cart information I see nothing about the 1.5%, only the 2% is mentioned and other posters have mentioned this 2%.

Am I correct that Fidelity's credit card gives 2% back in the form of a deposit to a Fidelity account, not 1.5% on the first 15k and any additional spending?

Thanks for the help.

livesoft

Re: Fidelity Credit Card Rewards Question

Postby livesoft » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:25 am

All I know is that I get 2% cash-back and it goes into my checking account automatically.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

sharpjm

Postby sharpjm » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:32 am

It is a 2% card. The 1.5% shenanigans went away when Elan took over.

Fidelity Changing Over to Elan on Saturday + Call to Covert your 1.5% Card to 2%

p.s. - DoC is a great source for info like this for those who are into the rewards CC game.
Last edited by sharpjm on Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jags4186

Postby Jags4186 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:34 am

Fidelity used to offer two cashback credit cards, both serviced by FIA Card Services (Bank of America)

Fidelity Visa: which offered 1.5% cashback on purchases up to $15,000 annually and then 2% cashback thereafter.
Fidelity Amex: which offered 2% cashback on all purchases

If you previously held the FIA Fidelity Visa it retained the same cashback structure upon conversion to the Elan Fidelity Visa. You need to call the number on the back of your card and ask to be "upgraded" to the full 2% version.

If you previously held the FIA Fidelity Amex, you were converted to the 2% Elan Fidelity Visa.

If you apply for the card today you will receive the 2% card.

spammagnet

Postby spammagnet » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:03 pm

Jags4186 wrote:If you previously held the FIA Fidelity Visa it retained the same cashback structure upon conversion to the Elan Fidelity Visa. You need to call the number on the back of your card and ask to be "upgraded" to the full 2% version.

As an anecdote, I did that shortly after receiving my Elan card and was converted to 2% on all purchases without hesitation.

Spur08

Postby Spur08 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:03 pm

I actually just called to have them change me from the 1.5% to 2%. Same card, same number but said they would send me an updated T&C page.

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”