USAA and Haven Life (Mass Mutual) Life Insurance Quotes

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
bslice

USAA and Haven Life (Mass Mutual) Life Insurance Quotes

Postby bslice » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:37 pm

Just got quotes for Level Term Life Insurance with Haven Life and USAA.

I feel like the quoting process is just a
bait-and-switch
until your medical exam results return. Has anyone had a quote (cost per month) change after the results of a medical exam?

Info:
I'm 33
Non-smoker/tobacco
"normal" labs when seeing my doctor annually
I workout often with weights and my BMI actually considers me "overweight", but I have 10% bodyfat according to my last doctors visit.

I am concerned that these companies will consider my 25.2 BMI to be overweight (6ft 4in - 207lbs) and will increase my monthly premium.

Anyone else have challenges with a bait-and-switch

BruDude

Re: USAA and Haven Life (Mass Mutual) Life Insurance Quotes

Postby BruDude » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Quotes are meaningless until you get an offer of coverage from the insurance company. It's not bait and switch. You either qualify for the quoted rate or you don't...but that doesn't mean everyone qualifies for Preferred Plus. USAA has more strict underwriting guidelines than most insurance companies.

You should still be able to get the P+ rate at your height/weight. If they quoted you a standard rate and the rate they offered you came back at P+, it wouldn't feel like bait and switch then right? Well it's just the reverse, a quote is only as accurate as the info provided.

LarryAllen

Postby LarryAllen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Go to a broker and have them check 10-20 companies.

Also, check the rating of the companies at a few ratings services. Don't listen to the salesperson.

nps

Postby nps » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:49 pm

You can't get a Haven policy through a broker AFAIK. Also, their whole premise is instant approval decisions in many cases. Did you submit an application and get informed that a medical exam was required?

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”