USAA and Haven Life (Mass Mutual) Life Insurance Quotes

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
bslice

USAA and Haven Life (Mass Mutual) Life Insurance Quotes

Post by bslice » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:37 pm

Just got quotes for Level Term Life Insurance with Haven Life and USAA.

I feel like the quoting process is just a
bait-and-switch
until your medical exam results return. Has anyone had a quote (cost per month) change after the results of a medical exam?

Info:
I'm 33
Non-smoker/tobacco
"normal" labs when seeing my doctor annually
I workout often with weights and my BMI actually considers me "overweight", but I have 10% bodyfat according to my last doctors visit.

I am concerned that these companies will consider my 25.2 BMI to be overweight (6ft 4in - 207lbs) and will increase my monthly premium.

Anyone else have challenges with a bait-and-switch

BruDude

Re: USAA and Haven Life (Mass Mutual) Life Insurance Quotes

Post by BruDude » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:49 pm

Quotes are meaningless until you get an offer of coverage from the insurance company. It's not bait and switch. You either qualify for the quoted rate or you don't...but that doesn't mean everyone qualifies for Preferred Plus. USAA has more strict underwriting guidelines than most insurance companies.

You should still be able to get the P+ rate at your height/weight. If they quoted you a standard rate and the rate they offered you came back at P+, it wouldn't feel like bait and switch then right? Well it's just the reverse, a quote is only as accurate as the info provided.

LarryAllen

Post by LarryAllen » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Go to a broker and have them check 10-20 companies.

Also, check the rating of the companies at a few ratings services. Don't listen to the salesperson.

nps

Post by nps » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:49 pm

You can't get a Haven policy through a broker AFAIK. Also, their whole premise is instant approval decisions in many cases. Did you submit an application and get informed that a medical exam was required?

bslice

Post by bslice » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:45 pm

Yes - I went with Haven Life and the results came back as expected. I got the Preferred Plus non-smoker rate, which was about $1 less than my quote :D

I am waiting the results from USAA, which my policy was 500K for 30 years. I expect more scrutiny for that one. The Haven Life was for 20 year at 100K...just to help me diversify Term Life.

To be fair....I checked Term4Sale. The broker called me about a day later and said to just check the HavenLife website directly. I told him thanks for the info and for not trying to push products meant to be sold (VUL) vs bought (Term Life).

bslice

Post by bslice » Mon Apr 17, 2017 9:31 pm

Just updating everyone here....

USAA came back with double the quote for my 30 year 500k policy. They said that my asthma pushed me into the $79/month range. I was provided no opportunity to clarify that my condition has been under control since 10th grade and this was allergy related. Haven Life sent me a follow up and allowed me to do this.

Good luck to everyone else shopping around. FYI, I will also be moving my HoA and Auto policy from USAA now. I was just tired of their exclusivity being a factor. I have other posts about this....

MrsBDG

Post by MrsBDG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:44 am

Go to Term4sale.com, they aggregate all the companies, they don't sell. They'll give you three local agents to contact, those agents can check your build, their can be a pretty big difference in build charts. The agents ought to be able to advise on the asthma history, too. Presenting it in optimal wording helps, but some simplified issue options maybe hard and fast about certain conditions.
Also, there is generally a prescription database check done, if you are filling meds, whether you use them or not, usage will be presumed.

Van-Guard23

Post by Van-Guard23 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:19 am

bslice wrote:Just updating everyone here....

USAA came back with double the quote for my 30 year 500k policy. They said that my asthma pushed me into the $79/month range. I was provided no opportunity to clarify that my condition has been under control since 10th grade and this was allergy related. Haven Life sent me a follow up and allowed me to do this.

Good luck to everyone else shopping around. FYI, I will also be moving my HoA and Auto policy from USAA now. I was just tired of their exclusivity being a factor. I have other posts about this....

If you are a USAA member, have you tried getting level term life insurance through AAFMAA (American Armed Forces Mutual Aid Association) or Navy Mutual? When I was shopping for term life a couple of years ago, AAFMAA and Navy Mutual both beat USAA's quote. I went with AAFMAA (not affiliated with the Navy or I would have gone with Navy Mutual's lower rates).
"I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college" | The Police "Wrapped Around Your Finger"

afan

Post by afan » Tue Apr 18, 2017 5:12 am

It is hardly surprising that the premium would be higher for 30 year 500k than 20 year 100 k. Are you sure USAA is not competitive? You need to shop more than one company for the same policy.

Did you follow up with USAA about your asthma? Maybe Brudude has an opinion about how much life insurance companies care about a history of childhood asthma.
Last edited by afan on Tue Apr 18, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama

fundseeker

Post by fundseeker » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:18 am

Have you gotten a quote from Protective Life? Might be worth a try. Good idea, IMO, to get policies at two different companies and to have one be for say 20 years and one for 30, or whatever your exact needs may be.

MrsBDG

Post by MrsBDG » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:12 pm

I can affirm that I got my adult daughter a Protective policy w a Hx of exercise related seasonal asthma, preferred best rates.

pintail07

Post by pintail07 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:15 pm

I've had many athletes as clients with similar issues. A letter from your agent explaining body fat and work out history and I always get the lowest rates. Your astma is problematic and usually isn't a big issue. Find an independent broker and explain your case.

leehamster

Post by leehamster » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:24 pm

A broker can definitely get you a better deal. Choose a good one through references or by talking to the broker a bit to check bona fides. Pintail sounds knowledgeable to me.

USAA markets to a broad set of customers, but the life insurance company seems to have a rigid profile for coverage. A few years back, I applied for life insurance from USAA. I had been a member for ~30 years, originally through my father. They denied me coverage because I had a vacation planned to India in the next year. I pointed out to the that that sounded like redlining, but got no answer. Instead, I got a nice, cheap policy from Banner Life through an internet-based brokerage.