Career Dilemma - Seeking Input

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Midpoint

Career Dilemma - Seeking Input

Postby Midpoint » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:31 pm

Working towards a job change, seeking input from the BH group.

I am in year 15 of my professional career, have been a manager in my workgroup for 5 years. Prior to being a manager I was a supervisor, prior to that an individual contributor. I have enjoyed some of the projects I've lead, but overall feel I have reached a plateau. In my division I report to a Director, I do not desire this position and would not apply if it were vacant. I feel I would be a poor fit and honestly not suited to the challenge of the role above me. At the same time, I continue to fill in at an individual contributor level when staff schedules require. I like this work and enjoy the sense of purpose it gives me.

Fundamentally I do not feel suited to personnel management and this aspect of my work drains me. My workgroup and I will most likely both be better off longterm if I leave my current role. This tells me it is time to pursue a change.

In a new position I am seeking knowledge ownership, a sense of purpose, and demonstrable ways to see and feel the value I provide. I would also love the chance to grow, learn, and teach. Salary is not a top concern.

I have several options in front of me:

1) Apply to part time individual contributor role with same workgroup. Would reduce my net income by ~50% based on a combination of FTE reduction and likely salary reduction. More free time and less stress, objectively worse schedule (nights/weekends), no changes for DW and no relocation. Short term this would be a blow to my ego, long term likely limits my career opportunities with same employer.

2) Apply to alternate Director position in parallel division. This role is new, interests me, and would not have significant personnel management responsibilities. Salary neutral or an increase, no changes to schedule, no changes for DW and no relocation.

3) Apply to full time individual contributor role with another regional organization. Would like the work, unknown impact on salary (likely max 20% reduction). No changes to schedule, no changes for DW, no relocation.

4) Apply to full time individual contributor roles with organizations in other regions/states. Would like the work, likely 20% reduction in salary, changes to schedule unknown, DW would need to find new work or not work at all. Target relocation areas would maximize the QOL DW and I are both looking for, providing significant value beyond salary.

While reducing our income will reduce our ability save I do not believe it will have a meaningful impact on our eventual ability to retire comfortably. I would rather reduce income/change jobs for better QOL and work longer than continue in current role risking burnout within a few years.

Short specs:

Both DW and I are mid/late 30's
No kids
Live in upper Midwest, MCOL, don't hate it but would prefer smaller community with better access to outdoors for higher QOL
I earn around 130K/year, DW earns around 100K/year
EF/cash $100K
Monthly expenses ~2.5-3.5K
Mortgage paid off, house valued ~$440K
Retirement assets 1.5 MM split roughly 50:50 between taxable/tax deferred, AA 70:30, all indexes
No debt

Any recommendations?

fabdog

Re: Career Dilemma - Seeking Input

Postby fabdog » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:41 pm

if the current company treats you well, and the issue is only the personnel management, why not try option 2, where you stay in the same place (no relo) have the same schedule, and approx same money?

If that doesn't work out then you could chase after options 3 and 4

Mike

Midpoint

Postby Midpoint » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:45 pm

fabdog wrote:if the current company treats you well, and the issue is only the personnel management, why not try option 2, where you stay in the same place (no relo) have the same schedule, and approx same money?

If that doesn't work out then you could chase after options 3 and 4

Mike

That's a good point.

Some things I like about option 2:

- Displays to leadership I am ambitious to do more
- Interviewing will allow me to learn about another division
- Leaves options 3 and 4 open if it doesn't work out

The main downside in pursuing option 2 is that it essentially takes option 1 off the table permanently.

Jack FFR1846

Postby Jack FFR1846 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:13 pm

I have moved positions a few times for lower stress or better perceived work satisfaction at a reduction of pay. In all of these cases, looking at the position, it appeared to be far better than where I was. Every move, in retrospect was a bad one. If I had to do any of them again, I'd have held out longer for a new position that resulted in an increase in compensation. Maybe you can assess how a new job will be far better than I can. I'd be very careful, though. Any move to an unknown is an unknown.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Silverado

Postby Silverado » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:20 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:I have moved positions a few times for lower stress or better perceived work satisfaction at a reduction of pay. In all of these cases, looking at the position, it appeared to be far better than where I was. Every move, in retrospect was a bad one. If I had to do any of them again, I'd have held out longer for a new position that resulted in an increase in compensation. Maybe you can assess how a new job will be far better than I can. I'd be very careful, though. Any move to an unknown is an unknown.

Some wise words there.

rralex1

Postby rralex1 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:19 pm

Based on what you've written a congrats is in order first. Your financial house, based on the ages of you and your DW appears to be very much in order. With that said, it might be beneficial to understand what you do for a living, and to what degree your DW is vested in change.

Based on experience I don't think you have a dilemma. You have what my daughter refers to as a first world problem. I am not minimizing that, just adding a little humor and perspective. You are referencing choices that you have, and that is a blessing, not a dilemma even if it feels like it is.

I would vote for your option #2. Particularly v a relocation because your DW has a solid income and a relo puts that in question. Also because you have 15 years invested with your current employer. Based on you two being dual income no kids though, and based on the exp profile you laid out, $100K in an EF seems very high. Perhaps food for a different discussion.

Wishing you well.

rob

Postby rob » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:28 pm

While I agree with most of the above... now is the time to make a change if you want to go that route..... If you have kids or get older when jobs are harder to find, there are less chances to make larger changes.... In hind sight, I had a pretty stable/non-objectionable job for a while and having to run faster once I moved as I was left stagnant and didn't keep up on new stuff as much as I should have..... If you think you will regret the safer path then change now....
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

ram

Postby ram » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:59 pm

The conservative option here is #2.
If it does not work out consider the other options.
Ram

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”