Taxact: How to file an attachemnt, not just notes

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Tamales

Taxact: How to file an attachemnt, not just notes

Postby Tamales » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:41 am

I'm not sure I'm doing this right. Hoping someone can advise.

In Taxact's "forms view," I click on the line number where I want to include an attachment with my filing (this is for state taxes but it seems to work the same way for federal) and a selection pops up to include "notes" for that line that don't get filed. I filled this out with notes as a reminder when preparing next year's taxes, but it says it won't get filed.

Also, at the top of the forms-view pane there is a paperclip icon to add an attachment. I click that and fill that out with the appropriate info. But it gives no indication of it being attached to the filed return and doesn't indicate the line number i have selected so I write that in manually.

When I print my state return, it prints out my "notes" that aren't supposed to be filed, but it doesn't print the attachment I added with the paperclip icon.

Am I doing this right? Shouldn't my attachment to file (not the notes) get printed when I print the return?
If it matters, the attachment is just providing details for the portion of my muni bond interest that is NOT state-specific.

neurosphere

Re: Taxact: How to file an attachemnt, not just notes

Postby neurosphere » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:58 pm

Why do you need to attach this info? You can always provide it if asked, right?

Attachments in taxact are for your records, not to be included in an e-file (and as you found out, do not always print). The only attachment to a 1040 that I know for certain the IRS accepts is a brokerage 1099-B. These can be uploaded as a pdf in Taxact and are e-filed with your return. There may be other attachments which the IRS accepts, but this is the only one I know for sure.
-- Sotirios Keros. "I don't always buy investments, but when I do, I prefer them to be boring. Sleep well, my friends." -The Least Interesting Investor in the World

Tamales

Re: Taxact: How to file an attachemnt, not just notes

Postby Tamales » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:37 pm

Yep you're right. I can provide it if asked. I think I'll go with that answer.

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”