IRS moving expense deduction and home offices

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
MrJones

IRS moving expense deduction and home offices

Postby MrJones » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:30 am

Hi Bogleheads,
Long time lurker here. I'm trying to figure out how the IRS moving expense deduction works in the context of home-office employees.

I was a home office employee with company A, which had its branch office about 200 miles from where my old residence. I used to go to the branch office say once in 3 months. I changed jobs, and moved to a new residence. Old residence and new residence are 200 miles apart. New residence and new work place are like two blocks away.

Do I qualify for the moving expense deduction, given that my old office was really the same as my old home? Thank you for the help.

trueblueky

Re: IRS moving expense deduction and home offices

Postby trueblueky » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:53 am

Did you claim office-in-home expenses? Did you receive travel expenses when you went to the main office once a quarter?

Either of those might help establish where your old job was.

MrJones

Postby MrJones » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:03 am

trueblueky wrote:Did you claim office-in-home expenses? Did you receive travel expenses when you went to the main office once a quarter?

Thanks, that's helpful. I never claimed home office expenses because it seemed like too much trouble for too little. I did always receive full travel reimbursement for each trip to the office. The company officially designated me and others like me "home office employees." Sounds like these might suffice?

trueblueky

Postby trueblueky » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:08 pm

MrJones wrote:
trueblueky wrote:Did you claim office-in-home expenses? Did you receive travel expenses when you went to the main office once a quarter?

Thanks, that's helpful. I never claimed home office expenses because it seemed like too much trouble for too little. I did always receive full travel reimbursement for each trip to the office. The company officially designated me and others like me "home office employees." Sounds like these might suffice?

Yes.

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”