CPA misplaced tax information

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Dieharder

CPA misplaced tax information

Post by Dieharder » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:33 pm

I am really upset about the CPA who did my company taxes this year. This is the first time I am using them and came as referral from someone else I knew. The issue is not with tax filing or getting numbers incorrect, but he put my tax information to me in USPS mail without any tracking and without telling me and now I have not received it after 10 days. I had no idea he was going to do this, and I would have asked him not to do it unless there is tracking and insurance. Mostl likley I would have picked up by hand from his office. I do not lose mails generally, and now very concerned someone stole it since it may have looked like containing tax information. It has everything about my company and my personal information. As far as credit goes, it is frozen with all three agencies for a while after the OPM hack. However, not sure what I should do with company information, is there any credit protection for that. How do I protect someone from using my EIN and company name. I am really mad at the CPA now and all he could offer me was a sorry, but we do this for all clients and nothing has ever happened. What recourse do I have?

tibbitts

Re: CPA misplaced tax information

Post by tibbitts » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:16 pm

Dieharder wrote:I am really upset about the CPA who did my company taxes this year. This is the first time I am using them and came as referral from someone else I knew. The issue is not with tax filing or getting numbers incorrect, but he put my tax information to me in USPS mail without any tracking and without telling me and now I have not received it after 10 days. I had no idea he was going to do this, and I would have asked him not to do it unless there is tracking and insurance. Mostl likley I would have picked up by hand from his office. I do not lose mails generally, and now very concerned someone stole it since it may have looked like containing tax information. It has everything about my company and my personal information. As far as credit goes, it is frozen with all three agencies for a while after the OPM hack. However, not sure what I should do with company information, is there any credit protection for that. How do I protect someone from using my EIN and company name. I am really mad at the CPA now and all he could offer me was a sorry, but we do this for all clients and nothing has ever happened. What recourse do I have?

I'm not an expert but I thought the EIN was essentially public information since you have to give it out to everybody who asks, and company name, well, that is public information.

MrKnight

Post by MrKnight » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:24 am

Recourse? Well freezing and placing reports on your credit reports which you already have. You can also engage a company that provides credit monitoring services... but you should have that I'd you were victim of OPM hack.

Do you mean recourselves against the CPA? Taking your future business elsewhere.

Dieharder

Post by Dieharder » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:22 am

MrKnight wrote:Recourse? Well freezing and placing reports on your credit reports which you already have. You can also engage a company that provides credit monitoring services... but you should have that I'd you were victim of OPM hack.

Do you mean recourselves against the CPA? Taking your future business elsewhere.

Okay, so I have credit freeze on the file, no one can run a credit report, and I know this for sure because I applied for credit sometime back and they called me to say they couldn't get the report since it is on freeze and I opened it for that specific agency temporarily. As I understand, I cannot use the credit protection services that were offered for OPM hack victims if I am already having the credit file on freeze. It was discussed in the OPM thread extensively that monitoring service will require credit file to be open, they can only catch something after someone tries to obtain credit. I prefer to have it locked down. That being said, one of the conclusions of OPM hack which had even more sensitive data including fingerprints was that it was done by a state actor and hence not at a personal level targetting someone. This one is alarming because I lost in my local mail, which may mean someone took it from my mail box (unlikely but not impossible) or USPS delivered to the wrong mail box (likely) and they deccided not to return. I am still furious with the CPA for this level of incompetence, and he says we do this for all clients during tax season for last several years and yours is the first one. Well, I will take my business elsewhere, but my financial data was exposed to someone, possibly one of my neighbors in which case identity theft is less likely but they will have my personal financial situation. It could also be anything else, lost somewhere in the middle and got into wrong hands. So many possibilities with untracked / uninsured USPS mail. Sorry to vent off in the morning, still upset over this.

Bliss

Post by Bliss » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:17 am

My CPA also sends my completed returns via USPS without tracking as well. Is this not normal? Always wondered...

tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:25 am

That can happen with any type of shipping, even if you have tracking and insurance.

spectec

Post by spectec » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:29 am

I regularly send completed tax returns to clients using USPS - probably 80% of my work is returned in this manner. Sometimes I use tracking, sometimes not. Insurance would be a complete waste of money, but certified mail with return receipt is often a good idea.

Over the span of 25-30 years there have been 3 or 4 times when the info didn't reach the client within a few days. In each case, it eventually showed up (one situation took about 6 weeks). Your concern about identity theft is valid to a point, but with all due respect I think you are overreacting at this early stage.

The problem is the CPA didn't tell you in advance and give you the option to pick up your info or for you to give him instructions that you are willing to pay extra for special handling. He is probably like me - I do everything I can to keep my clients out of my office so I can get some work done.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

ved

Post by ved » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:45 am

spectec wrote:I do everything I can to keep my clients out of my office so I can get some work done.

Be careful what you wish for.
You may get to be very successful in keeping clients out of your office, that you will have no work to get done.
:shock: :D

hicabob

Post by hicabob » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:54 am

My CPA did the same a few years ago with S-corp returns . Because of this he still pays for dubiously useful "credit monitoring" for myself and my biz partner years later.

spectec

Post by spectec » Thu Apr 06, 2017 6:48 am

ved wrote:
spectec wrote:I do everything I can to keep my clients out of my office so I can get some work done.
Be careful what you wish for.
You may get to be very successful in keeping clients out of your office, that you will have no work to get done.
:shock: :D
I am aware of that possibility, but over more than 35 years that has not been the trend for me.
Don't gamble; take all your savings and buy some good stock and hold it till it goes up, then sell it. If it don't go up, don't buy it. - Will Rogers

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 10:17 pm

In my opinion that is a cheap (save a few bucks on shipping) alternative and not exercising the due care client books and records should have.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Nate79

Post by Nate79 » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:41 pm

You sound like a customer the CPA will be happy to do without (speaking from having a CPA firm in the family).

ahmadcpa

Post by ahmadcpa » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:25 am

If you live in one of the beta zipcode, you may be able to see you historical mail. I can't recall how many days it goes back

Try it out

https://informeddelivery.usps.com/box/p ... art.action