Collection Agency - Are you kidding?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
ARB57

Collection Agency - Are you kidding?

Post by ARB57 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:14 pm

Imagine my surprise when I opened my mailbox...today... to find a notice from a collection agency claiming that I owed $895. Huh? That amount, they contend, is the result of unpaid charges to the cable company.

I shall lay out the details.

Most important, I DO NOT OWE the debt...and...the incident in question happened nearly 7 years ago.

In 2010 (yes nearly 7 years ago), I was preparing to move. I cancelled my cable service and, at the behest of the cable company, I left the “cable box” at the front desk of my condominium building. The cable folks said they’d pick it up. At that point, I figured all had been taken care of.

Several weeks passed and one day I received a notice that I owed them for the equipment. It’s been so long, that I don’t recall if the notice came from a collection agency or from the cable company. Once I got this notice I went to the front desk (of the condo building) and the equipment was still there. I’m not completely sure “why”...but it was.

So, I got the equipment from the front desk at the condo and delivered it to the Comcast office myself. I got a receipt for the return of the equipment (I no longer have the receipt). I followed up with a letter confirming that the equipment had been returned and that there were no remaining obligations on my part.

Today’s notice came with the message that I had failed to respond to previous requests (sorry, don’t recall seeing anything) and that should I not pay...they’ll have it put on my credit report.

My plan is to begin by contacting the cable company. Any advice? Again...I don’t owe the money. But let’s pretend I do for a moment...I’m not even sure that they can pursue a debt that’s nearly 7 years old. Comments welcome. Thanks.

Leemiller

Re: Collection Agency - Are you kidding?

Post by Leemiller » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:25 pm

Not really advice but something is wrong with Comcast. I received a notice that they received my cable box after we moved - about two years after! I hope I don't get a bill in the next couple of years.

mouses

Post by mouses » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:30 pm

Collection agencies are notorious for going after people for debts they don't owe. I'm a little hazy about this, but I think if you mail them a letter saying you don't owe the bill and to stop contacting you, they have to leave you alone. If they ding your credit report, isn't there some feature where you can add a comment?

rob

Post by rob » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:31 pm

Do not pay anything
Do not deal with them... if you want play with the orig company
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Boats day

Post by Boats day » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:33 pm

This happened to me once with an unpaid bill. The collection agency served papers and took me to court. I could not find my receipt that I paid and to keep them from slapping a lien of my home I paid them.

It felt like extortion..... my only advice is find the receipt .

I wish you better luck than I had.

:annoyed
Last edited by Boats day on Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:33 pm

Whenever you get a notice from a collection agency, you always respond in writing with: "I dispute the validity of this debt"

Now the collection agency has to provide you (by law) with written proof that you owe the debt, within a certain time period

Often you will hear nothing from them ever again. But if they do provide proof, at least you know what's behind the notice, and you can take action from there

8foot7

Post by 8foot7 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:39 pm

Send them a dispute in writing CMRRR within 30 days. If they put it on your credit, sue in small claims.

quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:52 pm

What state is this in? In most states the statute of limitations on debt collections is less than seven years. In that case, you would send them a letter telling them that the statute of limitations has run out and to go lump it.

Regardless, if they try to sue you, you must show up in court. If they get a judgement, you will have to pay.

Teague

Post by Teague » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:59 pm

If things go so far that they take the alleged debtor to court, and the person being sued is sure the claim is merit-less, can they counter-sue the collections agency in small court?
Semper Augustus

Good Listener

Post by Good Listener » Fri Mar 17, 2017 7:08 pm

Now we have smartphones. As I leave the Comcast office, I use Google drive on my wonderful Google Pixel phone and it can scan the receipt as a PDF !!!. I then file it in my Dropbox and Google drive. No receipt doesn't help you but the letter is good enough. Tell them you will sue them if they pursue it as you have proof you returned the box and your lawyer is itching to go after a collection agency !!!

ThreeBears

Post by ThreeBears » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:22 pm

I would not just ignore it. An above poster mentioned that you should dispute the debt. That is good advice. I would take it one further and research the FDCPA, so that you know your rights.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... collection (this is a good primer).

http://files.consumerfinance.gov/f/2012 ... edures.pdf (this is decent for searching but i wouldn't read the whole thing)

I would also research the debt statute of limitations for the state you are in.

You should also know the business model of most debt collectors. (1) Threats. They call and are persistent and threaten legal action, which they often can't afford. (2) Default judgments. They MAY attempt to bring a court action with the overall hope that you will not show up and they will get a default judgment.

-Also, debt collectors often try to get you to pay some small portion (even just a dollar), as paying on an old bill can renew the statute of limitations. So, don't EVER make payments on a debt that is almost beyond the statute of limitations.

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:50 pm

Welcome to Comcast. I tried for about a year to get them to accept a bunch of cable boxes from our workplace that we decided to "cut the cord" on, with no luck. They finally sent a tech out to pick up the boxes (these were only some of the boxes in use, we wanted to keep using the rest). Next day we found that they had turned our entire building service off. Good luck in your interaction.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

sallymaynot

Post by sallymaynot » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:04 pm

2 cents here:

Document every interaction with the collection agency, either by announcing your intent to record phone calls and then doing so, or via an email thread that contains all of your correspondence with each reply. Use a throwaway email address from a free webmail provider. Don't give them any of your personal contact information, as they will use that to harass you. Back in the old days they would show up at people's workplace! I was "phone slammed" (you woke up and your phone was on a new long distance carrier) back in the 90s and the worst part of the whole thing was dealing with the collection agencies for years afterward.

The burden of proof is 100% on them, and don't let them convince you otherwise. As a previous poster said, always begin each communication by reiterating that their debt is invalid.

The collection agency's business model is buying up debt for pennies on the dollar. If they're a shady low-budget operation, they might've purchased this debt from Comcast for as little as 10 cents on the dollar. This should help you understand their behavior and their motivation.

ellsbebc

Post by ellsbebc » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:20 pm

Dutch wrote:Whenever you get a notice from a collection agency, you always respond in writing with: "I dispute the validity of this debt"

Now the collection agency has to provide you (by law) with written proof that you owe the debt, within a certain time period

Often you will hear nothing from them ever again. But if they do provide proof, at least you know what's behind the notice, and you can take action from there

^This. Dispute the debt and the agency is then legally obligated to provide proof of the balance owed. I would also research your state's statue of limitation like another poster mentioned.

I work for a multifamily REIT and my role includes bad debt collections. We often have to provide proof because the debtor typically disputes. For example, supporting documents would include copy of lease, ledger, pictures of documented damages, etc.

Watty

Post by Watty » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:28 pm

A couple of things;

1) As others have said sent them a letter requesting a validation of debt. It is likely that you you not hear anymore from them.

2) Google "time barred debt" and your state name to see how long they can actually collect the debt.

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0 ... rred-debts

If they are beyond that then point that out to them and they will know that they are wasting their time.

3) If they persist then then read up on the Fair Debt Collection Practices act.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_Debt ... ctices_Act

And if you want you can send them a "drop dead letter" and they cannot legally contact you again about the debt

http://www.clark.com/know-your-rights-w ... collectors

but they can still sue you and you need to respond to the lawsuit or your will lose by default.

walletless

Post by walletless » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:06 pm

creditboards.com is an excellent forum to discuss this kind of query - they are the bogleheads equivalent of credit repair & collections. I encourage you to also post there.

My advice-
1) Dispute in writing over certified mail return receipt only. If they call you, ask them to send in writing and hang-up. Or let them know that you intend to record the conversation (hang up if they refuse)
2) If you still have a copy of receipt, send them with dispute. If not, ask them to prove.
3) Each letter should re-iterate the following:
a) This claim is invalid, ask them to validate with proof
b) Give a reasonable time frame (30-60 days) to respond or remove the collection record
c) State that you prefer written communication only, no phone calls.
4) If they agree to delete (DO NOT accept "mark as settled" as acceptable resolution), ask them to send it in writing.

Good luck!

gloomydog

Post by gloomydog » Fri Mar 17, 2017 11:25 pm

Something similar happened to me with a verizon fios cable bill years ago. Eventually we just paid, since credit took a hit and we were trying to buy a house and were busy etc. I don't know how this is legal.

:oops:

whomever

Post by whomever » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:06 am

Just FWIW: years ago Earthlink bought out our Mom-n-Pop ISP. We were notified that unless we oped out we would become Earthlink customers. I'd heard about Earthlink's customer service, so we opted out, in writing. A few years later we got a letter like yours - Earthlink claimed we owed them years of fees. I sent letters to Earthlink pointing out we had never been customers of theirs; the demand letters continued. I contacted our state attorney general's office - they have a consumer protection branch. Someone in the atty general's office wrote Earthlink asking for details. That finally generated a letter from Earthlink acknowledging that we had never been customers, and promising to leave us alone - and, significantly, the address of a local Earthlink office and manager. When the demand letters continued, I wrote a letter, return receipt and all that, to the local manager, pointing out that their error was costing me money, namely the return receipt postage, and that if I got one more demand letter from them I would sue in small claims court for those expenses, and we could discuss the matter in court, or if I got a default judgment I would show up at their office with a deputy and seize whatever office equipment I thought was needed and sell it to recoup the judgment. That, after a couple of years of hassle, finally ended the problem.

So you might see if your state atty general's office has a program like that. Although they didn't end the problem, they did, get a written response that I didn't owe anything, and that gave me the evidence I would need in small claims court.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:40 am

I had a similar ridiculous call from a hospital. Seems they had failed to get the contractually required pre-authorization and my insurance didn't pay. I called my insurance company and they explained the problem so I ignored it. Next call was from a collection agency - in fact if I tried to call the billing office at the hospital it automatically rolled over to the collections agency. Early on the agency used threats and I explained the problem and said I wouldn't pay. Then they called and said yeah it was a mistake but I still should do the right thing, guilt. I called the insurance company to make sure I understood the issue correctly and then asked if they could help. While I waited on the phone she apparently read someone the riot act. When she came back online she said I wouldn't be getting any further calls and if I did to call her at her direct number. That was the end of that.

I don't think your issue will be as cut and dry but I've read similar stories about ISP/cable/satellite companies claiming they've never recieved returned equipment. When I cut the "sattelite" they said I'd receive return boxes for my old equipment. I never got the boxes. I hope this stuff is so old they just don't want it back but in the back of my mind I'm wondering if they will pull a similar stunt.
If I am stupid I will pay.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:15 am

2comma wrote:I had a similar ridiculous call from a hospital. Seems they had failed to get the contractually required pre-authorization and my insurance didn't pay. I called my insurance company and they explained the problem so I ignored it. Next call was from a collection agency - in fact if I tried to call the billing office at the hospital it automatically rolled over to the collections agency. Early on the agency used threats and I explained the problem and said I wouldn't pay. Then they called and said yeah it was a mistake but I still should do the right thing, guilt. I called the insurance company to make sure I understood the issue correctly and then asked if they could help. While I waited on the phone she apparently read someone the riot act. When she came back online she said I wouldn't be getting any further calls and if I did to call her at her direct number. That was the end of that.

One of the ways health insurance is getting worse, at least with UnitedNoHealthCare is that it used to be if you needed an expensive med that was not in their Plan D formulary, you could pay it out of pocket and if they later granted the authorization they would pay it retroactively. According to their phone people this year that is no longer the case. So, need an $800 mega antibiotic immediately? Tough luck.

My experience has been, and the local pharmacist says he is seeing this a lot this year, is that prior authorizations are now being required for almost everything, even just slightly expensive widely prescribed meds that really ought to be in the formulary. This is a dirty tactic that is a real burden on doctors.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:35 pm

gloomydog wrote:Something similar happened to me with a verizon fios cable bill years ago. Eventually we just paid, since credit took a hit and we were trying to buy a house and were busy etc. I don't know how this is legal.

:oops:

Happened to me with Verizon FIOS too. The kicker is that I have never been a Verizon customer, FIOS or otherwise.

In my case, I didn't pay -- I had to dispute the charges twice against two collection agencies, but it never hit my credit. I've been tempted to take Verizon to small claims for the $10 it cost me, but it would cost me more to do that than I'd get. Tempting anyway.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, [i]Layer Cake[/i]

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:40 pm

You can request the money it costs in fees as part of the compensation you seek.

OAG

Post by OAG » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:33 pm

OHIO Statute of limitations is 6 years. After that you cannot be sued but I guess the collection agency can still attempt to browbeat people to pay thinking they do not check.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:50 pm

Several years ago there were several posts about the same subject on our forum.

Depending on the state, the maximum time allowed probably has run out with your 7 years. After those 7 years, probably your cable company sold that debt to a collection agency for a few bucks. That agency then added all kind of fees and work done to it to arrive at your $895.
- Do not pay anything to that collection agency or time starts again from zero.
- Your debt might have been sold several times, which means that you no longer know who actually owns that debt now. Therefore, that company writing you that letter might very well not own that debt. In case you pay anything, some other collection agency might also request you to pay.

I would not do anything. That's how my son did it when a cellular phone company renewed his contract though he had asked them to cancel it. Collection agencies kept calling, there also were letters from lawyers. Those calls finally stopped. In a similar case of mine with a cellular company renewing my contract etc, I went to the NY attorney general, that helped quickly.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:14 pm

Comcast did a similar thing to me over a decade ago.... they didn't show up to pick up the cable box when I was moving, the local office was closed by the time this was apparent, and I was moving 300+ miles away so I couldn't stick around and take it back the next day. Comcast's customer service told me to leave the cable box at the main office for the apartment building and they'd come pick it up the following Monday. But then I got a bill for the box and found out they hadn't picked it up (apartment complex manager confirmed Comcast never came on and the box was still in the office). I had to call repeatedly to get Comcast to go there and collect the box. Meanwhile, they kept threatening to send to collections and I bit back with a threat to sue them for not doing their job (missing multiple pick-up appointments).

Eventually, they got their act together and picked up the box (I confirmed this with the apartment complex manager), but I spent the next half decade wondering if I'd get a collection letter like yours. It was a decade ago, but they did seem to react more rapidly once I expressed knowledge of my consumer rights, how they had violated those rights, and my commitment to follow-through with the appropriate channels if they didn't get their act together.

Clever_Username

Post by Clever_Username » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:17 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:Comcast did a similar thing to me over a decade ago.... they didn't show up to pick up the cable box when I was moving, the local office was closed by the time this was apparent, and I was moving 300+ miles away so I couldn't stick around and take it back the next day. Comcast's customer service told me to leave the cable box at the main office for the apartment building and they'd come pick it up the following Monday. But then I got a bill for the box and found out they hadn't picked it up (apartment complex manager confirmed Comcast never came on and the box was still in the office). I had to call repeatedly to get Comcast to go there and collect the box. Meanwhile, they kept threatening to send to collections and I bit back with a threat to sue them for not doing their job (missing multiple pick-up appointments).

Eventually, they got their act together and picked up the box (I confirmed this with the apartment complex manager), but I spent the next half decade wondering if I'd get a collection letter like yours. It was a decade ago, but they did seem to react more rapidly once I expressed knowledge of my consumer rights, how they had violated those rights, and my commitment to follow-through with the appropriate channels if they didn't get their act together.

Is "not doing their job" an actual tort? Is missing multiple pick-up appointments actionable?

I'm asking because I'm moving soon and have a cable modem from a cable company (it doesn't appear on my bill -- I check each month to ensure that) and this situation worries me.

On a related note, OP: do you check your credit report regularly? Three free checking a year, one per agency; I like to spread mine out every four months I check one.
"What was true then is true now. Have a plan. Stick to it." -- XXXX, [i]Layer Cake[/i]

staythecourse

Post by staythecourse » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:48 pm

Sorry did not read other replies, but I would take this seriously if true or not.

I would ask in writing via registered mail to give proof of existing debt. I believe they have 30 days to do it. If they do then I would talk to them about paying it IF they don't report to credit bureaus or if they did already then request they DELETE and ask for that in writing.

If the above can not be done then YES they can ding your credit rating so it just matters how important that is to you, i.e. are you applying for credit coming up or not.

Good luck.

p.s. Of course, find out if there is or not a statute of collecting on debt before doing any of the above.
"The stock market [fluctuation], therefore, is noise. A giant distraction from the business of investing.” | -Jack Bogle

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:58 pm

Clever_Username wrote:Is "not doing their job" an actual tort? Is missing multiple pick-up appointments actionable?

I'm asking because I'm moving soon and have a cable modem from a cable company (it doesn't appear on my bill -- I check each month to ensure that) and this situation worries me.

No clue it it's actual tort. But responding to their baseless threats with my own (potentially) baseless threats got the process moving again, so the end goal was achieved. Since that time though, I always take the time to return equipment in person and get a receipt which notes the date, time, and serial number of the equipment being returned. That receipt then gets filed and held on to until the statue of limitations runs out.

I trust cable companies about as far as I can throw them, as the old saying goes. Going in person and getting a receipt is a little bit of hassle for a whole lot of peace of mind (and actionable evidence in a court case if it needed to go to that lengths).

Now I only have cable Internet and I own my own cable modem, so I have no cable company equipment. I still watch them like a hawk to make sure they don't fabricate a cable modem out of thin air on my bill (which has happened to others who own their own cable modems).

sk.dolcevita

Post by sk.dolcevita » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:17 pm

In addition to disputing the debt and asking for validation in writing, you should also take few minutes to file a complaint on FCC's website. Those complaints get routed to Comcast's executive office and you will receive a call from a VP rank minion within a day or two vowing to resolve the issue asap. It seems Comcast has to reply back to FCC as to whether it resolved the complaint or not; if possible, they rather report back that the complaint was resolved.

BTW, FCC complaint box is very effective in dealing with any other unseemly behavior or tawdriness of service by telecommunication/internet carriers. I have had Comcast send a crew to repair my internet at 10:30 in night after three days of dilly dallying. The crew finished fixing up at around 11:15 and called the Comcast VP right then to let her know all was well and customer was happy :-)

MDfive21

Post by MDfive21 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:01 pm

for collections info see creditboards.com

if you want to go on the offensive and sue them, see debtorboards.com

climber2020

Post by climber2020 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:05 pm

Classic Comcast. Your story is very typical. What a bunch of worthless goons.

If calling Comcast doesn't work, I would file a complaint with the Federal Trade Commission.

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:41 pm

I received a letter about a year ago from a debt collector (a notorious one in fact) for a debt that WAS real. (I had forgotten to pay a Walgreens bill - it was my own fault. I called Walgreens and paid them directly with no issue). But to the debt collector I sent this letter, unsigned:

To Whom It May Concern:
This letter is being sent to you in response to your attached letter.

This is not a refusal to pay, but a notice that your claim is disputed.

Under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA), I have the right to request validation of the debt you say I owe you. I am requesting proof that I am indeed the party you are asking to pay this debt, and there is some contractual obligation which is binding on me to pay this debt.

Your legal staff will agree that compliance with this request is required under the laws of <state> and Federal Statutes.

In addition to the questionnaire below, please attach copies of:
Agreement with your client that grants you the authority to collect on this alleged debt, or proof of acquisition by purchase or assignment.
Agreement that bears the signature of the alleged debtor wherein he or she agreed to pay the creditor.

Please also be advised that this letter is not only a formal dispute, but a request that you cease and desist any and all collection activities.

Your receipt of this letter will be considered as having granted consent to the taping of any and all telephone calls to me at my home or business by you or your agents or assigns

I require compliance with the terms and conditions of this letter within 30 days or a complete withdrawal, in writing, of any claim.

In the event of noncompliance, I reserve the right to file charges and/or complaints with appropriate County, State & Federal authorities, the BBB and State Bar associations for violations of the FDCPA, FCRA, and Federal and State statutes on fraudulent extortion.

I also hereby reserve my right to take private civil action against you to recover damages.

Sincerely,

Questionnaire to be returned :
Account #:
Original Creditor's Name:
Name of Debtor:
Address of Debtor:
Balance of Account:
Date you acquired this debt:
This Debt was: assigned ___purchased___

new2bogle

Post by new2bogle » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:46 pm

Clever_Username wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:Comcast did a similar thing to me over a decade ago.... they didn't show up to pick up the cable box when I was moving, the local office was closed by the time this was apparent, and I was moving 300+ miles away so I couldn't stick around and take it back the next day. Comcast's customer service told me to leave the cable box at the main office for the apartment building and they'd come pick it up the following Monday. But then I got a bill for the box and found out they hadn't picked it up (apartment complex manager confirmed Comcast never came on and the box was still in the office). I had to call repeatedly to get Comcast to go there and collect the box. Meanwhile, they kept threatening to send to collections and I bit back with a threat to sue them for not doing their job (missing multiple pick-up appointments).

Is "not doing their job" an actual tort? Is missing multiple pick-up appointments actionable?

On a related note, OP: do you check your credit report regularly? Three free checking a year, one per agency; I like to spread mine out every four months I check one.

Be very careful with comcast. I returned my cable box and internet modem at a comcast office and the actual comcast employee who took my boxes and gave me my receipts advised that I do not lose it or else I could have quite a headache.

s0me0nesmind1

Post by s0me0nesmind1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:07 pm

Boats day wrote:This happened to me once with an unpaid bill. The collection agency served papers and took me to court. I could not find my receipt that I paid and to keep them from slapping a lien of my home I paid them.

It felt like extortion..... my only advice is find the receipt .

I wish you better luck than I had.

:annoyed

Typically they would only go this far if it's actually a significant dollar amount. A measly $200 cable bill is usually not worthy of persueing, since it costs lawyers time to file all the paperwork in a court.