Citi card Nightmare

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
drawpoker

Citi card Nightmare

Postby drawpoker » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:32 pm

Okay, so I get locked out of my online access with my Citicard rewards card back in February. I then see lotsa posts on the internet where Citi is having chronic technical issues with website and hordes of customer complaints.
so, am thinking, okay, I can wait it out. Nope. After two marathon phone sessions (each lasting nearly an hour) with a tech support expert trying to get my account unlocked Feb 26 and again Feb 28, I just gave up. Calling customer service is a waste of time, they just keep referring me to the tech support division. Even the supervisor there could offer no insight into the problem.

They could not even delete my existing online account and let me re-register with new user name and pass. Freaking Unbelievable.

Now, latest worry, I see my scheduled auto payment for $448 from my checking account that was supposed to post on the due date March 16 Did Not Go Through. Great.

I printed out the email message dated March 7 Citicard sent me confirming my scheduled payment will be made and mailed it to Citi, Att: Problem Resolution Office, Sioux Falls SD, certified mail.

What else should I do? My main worry now is that they will try and claim I am past due because they never received the March payment, and proceed to ruin my credit.

Ideas, anyone? :annoyed :twisted: :x :annoyed :twisted:

Jack FFR1846

Re: Citi card Nightmare

Postby Jack FFR1846 » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:41 pm

I'm a big safety net guy. If this were me, I'd stop using the double cash and go to my fidelity 2% card. I'd stay with it until they mess something up. If you don't have the fidelity card, apply and pick up the bonus. Use another card until then.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

FelixTheCat

Postby FelixTheCat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:43 pm

I vote with my wallet. Cancel Citi if they are causing you problems.

+1 on Fidelity Visa.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

drawpoker

Postby drawpoker » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:44 pm

Thanks, Jack, stopped using Citicard and switched to AmEx Everyday Blue Cash instead.

I just want to know how to protect myself if they never follow thru on drafting my account for the March 16 payment.

Kenkat

Postby Kenkat » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:46 pm

Stop using the card until things get straightened out.

If you don't see the payment get posted in a few days, mail them a check. If they double post the payment, they will cut you a refund after a certain amount of inactivity like 3-6 months.

Gronnie

Postby Gronnie » Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:14 pm

drawpoker wrote:Thanks, Jack, stopped using Citicard and switched to AmEx Everyday Blue Cash instead.

I just want to know how to protect myself if they never follow thru on drafting my account for the March 16 payment.

Just make sure you pay it before it is 30 days past due and the absolute worst they can do is charge you a late fee. Your credit can't be dinged until you are 30 days past due.

Mudpuppy

Postby Mudpuppy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:20 am

drawpoker wrote:Thanks, Jack, stopped using Citicard and switched to AmEx Everyday Blue Cash instead.

You have the written correspondence with the letter, but I would suggest following up with verbal correspondence. Call them and say your scheduled payment has not hit your bank account and you are concerned the auto-pay settings have been corrupted. It could just be an ACH delay in hitting your bank, in which case the call rep should see the submitted transaction on Citi's end.

Make sure to document this call by writing down the date, time, and customer service rep's name. You can also ask for a confirmation number for your records.

Jack FFR1846

Postby Jack FFR1846 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 6:43 am

I personally would make a telephone payment for the entire balance plus $100. I'd want the balance to absolutely, positively be zero while it was being worked on by Citi.

I'll note that I've got a doublecash card and have never had an issue. Sorry to hear you have to go through this. I had an issue with the Ally credit card where I cannot do a number of things online including setting up a "pay entire statement balance" in autopayment. Phone support couldn't do it either and didn't know why (it was set to pay the minimum). So once I got to the point where I fulfilled the spending to collect the $100 bonus, I monitored and made manual payments by phone, checking it for 2 months, then I sock drawered the card. If they can't fix the site, I've got plenty of other cards to use.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

carolinaman

Postby carolinaman » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:54 am

FelixTheCat wrote:I vote with my wallet. Cancel Citi if they are causing you problems.

+1 on Fidelity Visa.

+1. there are too many other options to put up with this incompetence.

amd2135

Postby amd2135 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:07 am

FelixTheCat wrote:I vote with my wallet. Cancel Citi if they are causing you problems.

+2. I placed Citi on my personal blacklist after a final set of customer "service" nightmares. They didn't seem to care much when I cancelled my card with them either.

midareff

Postby midareff » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:11 am

+1 on Fidelity Visa.

+2 on Fidelity Visa.

cherijoh

Postby cherijoh » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:27 am

You can call Citi and make a payment over the phone and explain that you realized that they failed to debit your account. Customer service should be able to waive any late fees.

Also you can arrange an online bill pay through your checking account, although it usually takes more time to process a payment this way the first time you make a payment.

EDITED TO ADD: FYI, I never schedule payments to post on the exact due date, but make it several days before in case there are any issues.
Last edited by cherijoh on Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

F150HD

Postby F150HD » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:30 am

drawpoker wrote:Okay, so I get locked out of my online access with my Citicard rewards card back in February.

so they locked you out of your own account......for what reason?

Just seemed there was info missing here (to me).

basspond

Postby basspond » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:15 am

Were you notified that your account was locked? I turn on all my notifications including the one that notifies you if you change anything on your ID. Some thief several months ago called into the call center, somehow conned the phone tech (after several tries) around midnight to change my password. Without that notification who knows what could have happened.

Alexa9

Postby Alexa9 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:26 am

I've had no problems with Citi. I think they've had their hands full picking up all the Costco members but that should be resolved by now. Did you try to pay from the Citi website or your bank website?
Buy the haystack

Pretzel lover

Postby Pretzel lover » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:53 am

I'll add to the good advice already provided....make sure you redirect any recurring credit card charges to a different card.

It is easy to overlook some irregular occurring charges connected to each card,

JamesSF

Postby JamesSF » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:58 am

Use the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (the Elizabeth Warren brainchild). They have a website for submitting complaints if the bank did not address your concern. And banks take complaints from this mechanism quite seriously. I submitted one myself when having major problems while applying for a credit card (Bank was not responsive, did not process my application after doing a credit pull). After I submitted the complaint, they had one of their reps from the "office of the president" call me directly and work things out, including a reimbursement for my trouble.

Glad to see the CFPB is doing what it's supposed to do. Use it before it gets abolished.

drawpoker

Postby drawpoker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:49 am

F150HD wrote:
drawpoker wrote:Okay, so I get locked out of my online access with my Citicard rewards card back in February.

so they locked you out of your own account......for what reason?

Just seemed there was info missing here (to me).

For the same reason so many other Citi customers got locked out - some software glitch with the Citi website that went on for weeks without being resolved. Apparently, it is not hacking or cybercrimes since it hasn't hit the news, just a huge inconvenience for its credit card customers. (Not sure if banking customers are also affected, the posts on the internet seem to be about credit card access)

UPDATE: Good news, when I checked my bank online this morning I saw where the payment went thru. Not as an ACH debit, but as a "substitute check" instead. Which tells me that the technical issues with the website are STILL NOT FIXED Over 3 weeks later.
As soon as I get my final statement in the mail I will cancel the card. These people have proved to be totally inept and incompetent.
btw, did I mention, when I called the CSR to obtain the correct mailing address for the Problem Resolution Office, the rep said she didn't think there was such an address, she had never heard of such a department before.

F150HD

Postby F150HD » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:57 am

drawpoker wrote:
For the same reason so many other Citi customers got locked out - some software glitch with the Citi website that went on for weeks without being resolved.

I have this exact card and have had no issues accessing my account online, so am wondering what the issue is/was.

drawpoker

Postby drawpoker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:13 pm

F150HD wrote:
drawpoker wrote:
For the same reason so many other Citi customers got locked out - some software glitch with the Citi website that went on for weeks without being resolved.

I have this exact card and have had no issues accessing my account online, so am wondering what the issue is/was.

Don't know, the tech support people I talked with were very vague. One mentioned something about a recent "problem" with I.E, so they had me try and log-on using Chrome and Firefox. But Neither of those worked.

At the point where they gave up and suggested I re-register under new user name and pass I was instructed to close, relaunch the browser (after they supposedly did something on their end) and then click on the "Register Now" tab.
Oooops, that action resulted in my home page of my account opening up instead. Which greatly alarmed not only me but the technician as well. He freaked, couldn't believe the page opened without password.

My platform is Windows 7. If I had taken Windows 10 during the free offer period and then this happened I would have tended to blame 10. But I decided against the upgrade, after reading of people having compatibility problems on certain sites.

F150HD

Postby F150HD » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:43 pm

drawpoker wrote:Don't know, the tech support people I talked with were very vague. One mentioned something about a recent "problem" with I.E, so they had me try and log-on using Chrome and Firefox. But Neither of those worked.

At the point where they gave up and suggested I re-register under new user name and pass I was instructed to close, relaunch the browser (after they supposedly did something on their end) and then click on the "Register Now" tab.
Oooops, that action resulted in my home page of my account opening up instead. Which greatly alarmed not only me but the technician as well. He freaked, couldn't believe the page opened without password.

My platform is Windows 7. If I had taken Windows 10 during the free offer period and then this happened I would have tended to blame 10. But I decided against the upgrade, after reading of people having compatibility problems on certain sites.

IE - have not used it in years and recall this story last year:

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/science-technology/633782/Internet-Explorer-Version-8-9-10-Support-End-Microsoft

Maybe something got fixed, dunno. Windows 10 comes with Edge, guessing that is IE's replacement (tho I don't use that either)

Longtermgrowth

Postby Longtermgrowth » Sat Mar 18, 2017 12:51 pm

This is one of my concerns with viewing statements and paying bills online. I have considered just having credit card bills mailed to me. Is it worth saving a stamp to possibly have my credit score hurt by a late payment due to issues on their end or mine?

Hope you manage to get things worked out and that these issues don't negatively affect your credit.

Ged

Postby Ged » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:00 pm

drawpoker wrote:Don't know, the tech support people I talked with were very vague. One mentioned something about a recent "problem" with I.E, so they had me try and log-on using Chrome and Firefox. But Neither of those worked.

Your problem with Citibank may or may not be due to the browser you are using. However I can say without a doubt from my professional experience as a software developer that IE is utter trash and generally is teeming with bugs of many sorts. I would never use it to access a web site unless I knew the web site REQUIRED the use of IE because it was written for a corporate LAN which imposed the use of IE on it's employees.

And that goes TRIPLE for any version of IE that runs on Windows XP.

Edge may be better, however I haven't tried it yet.

sperry8

Postby sperry8 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:01 pm

cherijoh wrote:

You can call Citi and make a payment over the phone and explain that you realized that they failed to debit your account. Customer service should be able to waive any late fees.

Also you can arrange an online bill pay through your checking account, although it usually takes more time to process a payment this way the first time you make a payment.

EDITED TO ADD: FYI, I never schedule payments to post on the exact due date, but make it several days before in case there are any issues.

Agree on the EDIT. I always make payments one week in advance which allows me to see the payments as posted - before the actual due date arrives. I do this for all bills whether through Citi bill pay, another bank, or auto pay via cc.
Certainty is a requirement of ignorance. | Humbling Contest results: | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

drawpoker

Postby drawpoker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:05 pm

Longtermgrowth wrote:This is one of my concerns with viewing statements and paying bills online. I have considered just having credit card bills mailed to me. Is it worth saving a stamp to possibly have my credit score hurt by a late payment due to issues on their end or mine

Late payments could also occur due the lousy service provided by the USPS, you know. In fact, the possibility of lost/and/or slow mail is one of the reasons I welcomed online bill paying. Also, the notifications you can set so you get alerts whenever purchase is being made without the card present (phone and internet buying)

Honestly, this experience with Citicards is the first real headache I have ever had with a credit card. Any of them. For years I have used the online account features for Chase, Amex, BOA, Discover, Sears, Amazon and numerous others. Never, ever, had such a problem like this.

Only other issue I can recall is the occasional lock-out when the website goes down briefly for whatever reason. In those cases, there is no mystery, the company puts up the sign stating there is a temporary problem and to try again later.

StevieG72

Postby StevieG72 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:16 pm

This seems far from a nightmare, but I understand your irritation with the sequence of events.

As far as the payment goes, I would not be too concerened.

If the late payment charge is your biggest concern I have never had a problem getting the fee waived, refunded. Interest charge is a different animal apparently. I recently intended to set up my Chase card to pay balance in full each month. I goofed and set up min balance payment each month. Immediately paid balance in full once I noticed error. Asked nicely for intersest charges to be refunded. Told no, nicely!

However, givin the details of your situation I am sure you should have no problem avoiding any fees due to this issue.

Relax!
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

FedGuy

Postby FedGuy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 1:32 pm

Sorry about the trouble, OP. But I'm amused at the people encouraging you to abandon the card for Fidelity's card, because I'm in roughly the reverse situation. The Citi Double Cash used to be my primary card, but I also had the Fidelity 2% card that I used only for recurring monthly charges. A few months ago, I was invited to a Fidelity Card promotion that promised me $10 or $20 worth of cash back if I registered and then met a minimum spending requirement. I did so, but they refused to give me the cash back bonus because they claimed to have no record of my ever signing up for the promotion. I had actually printed my enrollment confirmation, but I subsequently moved and haven't yet unpacked the box with the confirmation in it.

Solely because of this, I promptly moved back to using Citi Double Cash as my daily spend card. I've never had any trouble with the card whatsoever.

Edited to add: when I mentioned this in another thread on this board a while back, a number of people responded to say that they had had a similar experience with the Fidelity card and other cards managed by the same servicer.

drawpoker

Postby drawpoker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:00 pm

Have gotten offers from Fidelity but really don't want to open any more new accounts right now.
As for perks, am very very glad I opened up the Amex Blue Cash Everyday card in January before all this mess happened with Citicard. Am using it everywhere except the local animal hospital - they won't take it. :(
I got a $100 statement credit as soon as my charges reached $1,000 (they give you 3 months to do that), I get 3% cash back at supermarkets, 2% gas stations, and 1% everything else, plus 0% intro APR rate for not just a year, but 18 months. :D

The only thing I dislike is that while enjoying the 3% cash back on groceries (up to $6,000 a year) I know Amex would not be doing this unless they were selling customer data on supermarket buying habits. Good, sneaky way to recoup most of that money.

Since I was targeted as a potential "patsy" by SnakeFarm insurance a couple years ago thru their highly-secretive data mining methods - believe part of that was due to their getting their hands on my grocery buying habits. along with DirecTV customer history, and a few other things. :x

Mudpuppy

Postby Mudpuppy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:06 pm

drawpoker wrote:UPDATE: Good news, when I checked my bank online this morning I saw where the payment went thru. Not as an ACH debit, but as a "substitute check" instead. Which tells me that the technical issues with the website are STILL NOT FIXED Over 3 weeks later.
As soon as I get my final statement in the mail I will cancel the card. These people have proved to be totally inept and incompetent.
btw, did I mention, when I called the CSR to obtain the correct mailing address for the Problem Resolution Office, the rep said she didn't think there was such an address, she had never heard of such a department before.

Good to hear the payment went through your account. And just as an FYI, e-checks are one sub-type of ACH payments. They use the ACH network for payment processing, but are marked as electronic checks instead of direct debits: http://echeck.org/what-is-an-echeck/

Mudpuppy

Postby Mudpuppy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:11 pm

Longtermgrowth wrote:This is one of my concerns with viewing statements and paying bills online. I have considered just having credit card bills mailed to me. Is it worth saving a stamp to possibly have my credit score hurt by a late payment due to issues on their end or mine?

You can have both paper statements and online payments. All my credit cards are set up to mail a paper statement, but I pay them online through direct debits or e-checks to my primary checking account. None of them penalize me for choosing this option.

Ironically, it is the primary checking account itself which penalizes me for having paper statements. On every other financial account, I can still access an electronic version of the statement if I opt for paper statements. My credit union on the other hand removes the "Statements" link from your online account if you opt for paper statements.

sport

Postby sport » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:20 pm

I avoid problems with automatic bill paying by using my bank's on-line bill pay. I have never had a situation where the bank paid a bill, and the payee claimed to have not received it. I also pay the bill as soon as it arrives because the amount of interest my checking account pays is inconsequential. I just do not like the idea of anyone else (other than Mrs. sport) being able to access my checking account. For recurring payments of a regular amount, the bill pay can be set to pay those automatically. I also get an email confirmation whenever bill pay makes a payment.

Mudpuppy

Postby Mudpuppy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:22 pm

drawpoker wrote:The only thing I dislike is that while enjoying the 3% cash back on groceries (up to $6,000 a year) I know Amex would not be doing this unless they were selling customer data on supermarket buying habits. Good, sneaky way to recoup most of that money.

I have the original Blue Cash (5% gas and groceries). The only uptick in marketing mail I've noticed is clearly labeled as AmEx related. You will receive AmEx travel, AmEx "wine of the month" club (and similar "luxury" items), AmEx high-yield saving accounts, and other similar offers. But it all has their logo on it somewhere. I haven't noticed an uptick in offers from places with which I have no prior business relationship.

Now their data mining algorithms may determine which "special offers" you get at the bottom of your AmEx home page. In the past, when Bogleheads have posted offers on their AmEx accounts, we haven't all had access to the same offers.

drawpoker

Postby drawpoker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:28 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:Good to hear the payment went through your account. And just as an FYI, e-checks are one sub-type of ACH payments. They use the ACH network for payment processing, but are marked as electronic checks instead of direct debits: http://echeck.org/what-is-an-echeck/

Nope, this was the strangest thing I ever saw. :shock: Not an e-check, but a "substitute" check. Only way I could describe it kinda like the old-fashioned "counter checks" from years ago that merchants offered for absent-minded customers.

When I logged on to my checking account this morning there was a listing for check #3177 in the correct amount of $448.
But, this was very odd, as the entry also showed the icon you can click on to see the actual check image, just like the regular kind you write yourself.

So, when the image opened up it looked like this - a paper check with my correct name, address in upper left corner.
Across the center top was this:

PNC Bank National Association
British Embassy
Washington DC 20006

The rest looked like a normal paper check with everything lined up for "Pay To" and the places to write in the amount both in numbers in the little box, and then longhand on the regular line below.
At the bottom right hand corner where the signature would go there was a stamp that said "Authorized by your Depositor 3/16/17. At the very bottom was the usual routing number and my personal account number for the clearinghouse, just like on regular checks. Not ACH handled.

Now, can someone here in banking tell me just what the heck the "British Embassy" has anything to do with this???????

This is becoming more bat#!&#^! crazy all the time. :? :? :? Did Citibank merge with the Bank of England or something? I missed that on the news :P

Mudpuppy

Postby Mudpuppy » Sat Mar 18, 2017 4:23 pm

There is at least one bank with a branch in the Washington DC British Embassy building, but it's HSBC bank. I don't know if PNC has a location there, but if so, that would explain the location on the check. It would simply be a branch location.

sox2017

Postby sox2017 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:35 pm

Not completely related but I cancelled two Citi cards last month after having them for 14 years.

I missed one payment (literally the 1st time in the 14 years I had the card). I called and they wouldn't waive the late fee.

Bye bye...too many other options if they can't waive one fee. I won't bank with Citi ever again because of this.

drawpoker

Postby drawpoker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:41 pm

Thanks, mudpuppy. That could be, I dunno where all the PNC bank branches are.

What I do know - Something is still clearly gone completely haywire with Citicard if this is how they conduct the online bill paying feature for customers. Yikes.

I am through with them, and I would recommend that anyone else who has an online registration for their credit card log on daily to their accounts for the next few weeks and be very watchful.

drawpoker

Postby drawpoker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:50 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:I have the original Blue Cash (5% gas and groceries). The only uptick in marketing mail I've noticed is clearly labeled as AmEx related. You will receive AmEx travel, AmEx "wine of the month" club (and similar "luxury" items), AmEx high-yield saving accounts, and other similar offers. But it all has their logo on it somewhere. I haven't noticed an uptick in offers from places with which I have no prior business relationship.

Now their data mining algorithms may determine which "special offers" you get at the bottom of your AmEx home page. In the past, when Bogleheads have posted offers on their AmEx accounts, we haven't all had access to the same offers.

That is not the data mining I was referring to. I don't mind getting the special offers and other solicitations that are legitimately associated with the Amex membership.
I am referring to the insurance information bureau. Which engages in this data mining to identity which longtime customers are most likely to meekly accept, without protests, a large premium increase in either auto or HO. It is called "predictive price modeling" . This is what I found out this after checking into it:

The big insurer giants (like SnakeFarm who I was with for like 30+ years) look at data like these - if you still buy a lot of steak and other expensive cuts of meat instead of hamburger; if you are still with DirecTV even tho Verizon and other providers are cheaper. That sort of thing.
Some whistleblower in the insurance industry disclosed all these sneaky tactics a while back because some states have laws against exactly this sort of thing. Greedy Insurance companies raising rates on existing policy-holders who have no claims, a drop in credit score, a criminal conviction, or some other valid cause to raise premiums.

That is why I suspect Amex is doing exactly that -making money from selling data obtained thru customers who charge their groceries while using the store loyalty card. That is how they can get the details of your purchases.

spammagnet

Postby spammagnet » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:04 pm

drawpoker wrote:That is why I suspect Amex is doing exactly that -making money from selling data obtained thru customers who charge their groceries while using the store loyalty card. That is how they can get the details of your purchases.

What credit card issuer doesn't do that? This isn't new. Even 20 years ago I was getting diaper discount coupons in the mail that somehow, just coincidentally I'm sure (not!), was the same size my kid was wearing. I bought/buy everything with a credit card, including my kids' diapers.

drawpoker

Postby drawpoker » Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:14 pm

Well, um, yes, getting Discounts is A Good Thing

Getting coupons for the things you buy regularly is Good.

Having your premium for your auto and HO policies raised because they think you will meekly accept - Not Good.

It is Bad.

(Re-read the post. I don't think you are fully getting it)

spammagnet

Postby spammagnet » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:32 pm

drawpoker wrote:Well, um, yes, getting Discounts is A Good Thing

Getting coupons for the things you buy regularly is Good.

Having your premium for your auto and HO policies raised because they think you will meekly accept - Not Good.

It is Bad.

(Re-read the post. I don't think you are fully getting it)

I don't disagree that it's bad that your premiums are raised based on your purchasing habits. Is the purveyor of your personal information the same one that raised your rates?

whodidntante

Postby whodidntante » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:47 pm

Nice user name.

*3!4!/5!

Postby *3!4!/5! » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:33 am

drawpoker wrote:
Mudpuppy wrote:I have the original Blue Cash (5% gas and groceries). The only uptick in marketing mail I've noticed is clearly labeled as AmEx related. You will receive AmEx travel, AmEx "wine of the month" club (and similar "luxury" items), AmEx high-yield saving accounts, and other similar offers. But it all has their logo on it somewhere. I haven't noticed an uptick in offers from places with which I have no prior business relationship.

That is not the data mining I was referring to. I don't mind getting the special offers and other solicitations that are legitimately associated with the Amex membership.
I am referring to the insurance information bureau. Which engages in this data mining to identity which longtime customers are most likely to meekly accept, without protests, a large premium increase in either auto or HO. It is called "predictive price modeling" . This is what I found out this after checking into it:

The big insurer giants (like SnakeFarm who I was with for like 30+ years) look at data like these - if you still buy a lot of steak and other expensive cuts of meat instead of hamburger; if you are still with DirecTV even tho Verizon and other providers are cheaper. That sort of thing.
Some whistleblower in the insurance industry disclosed all these sneaky tactics a while back because some states have laws against exactly this sort of thing. Greedy Insurance companies raising rates on existing policy-holders who have no claims, a drop in credit score, a criminal conviction, or some other valid cause to raise premiums.

That is why I suspect Amex is doing exactly that -making money from selling data obtained thru customers who charge their groceries while using the store loyalty card. That is how they can get the details of your purchases.

Wait? Does the credit card even know what you are purchasing? Or do they just know that you spent $X at store Y on date Z? How do you know what level of information they have?

dratkinson

Idea: switch from online payments to ABP.

Postby dratkinson » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:19 am

Maybe you are working too hard and trying to do too much. Idea: do less online and try to relax more. How?

I believe "push" transactions (from online accounts) would complicate my life. I believe "pull" transactions make my life simpler. To that end, I set up ABP (Automatic Bill Payment) plans with all my creditors and transferred that worry to them.

I've used ABP with several different CCs and bank accounts over many years with NO serious problems noted.

Once ABP is set up, it becomes the creditor's responsibility to pull their payment-due from my account (bank or CC). More often than not, they pull their payment 1-2 days late; I could never get away with that using a mailed or pushed payment.

I don't do online banking/CCs. I do everything by mail using monthly paper statements. No serious problems noted. (Exception: Vanguard's monthly eStatements.)

The phone works. On the rare occasions when I've needed something, my CU and CC CSRs will give me account information after I provide identifying information. I can request mailed cash back rewards using the CC phone menu system.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

drawpoker

Postby drawpoker » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:59 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:
Wait? Does the credit card even know what you are purchasing? Or do they just know that you spent $X at store Y on date Z? How do you know what level of information they have?

Scroll down about 7 or 8 graffs here for your answers:

http://www.npr.org/2015/05/08/403598235 ... n-cost-you

btw, there is one glaring error - contrary to what is quoted in the article - SnakeFarm does indeed engage in price optimization in the manner described because my former SnakeFarm local agent admitted it when I confronted him about it.

*3!4!/5!

Postby *3!4!/5! » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:31 pm

drawpoker wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:

Scroll down about 7 or 8 graffs here for your answers:

http://www.npr.org/2015/05/08/403598235 ... n-cost-you

btw, there is one glaring error - contrary to what is quoted in the article - SnakeFarm does indeed engage in price optimization in the manner described because my former SnakeFarm local agent admitted it when I confronted him about it.

While I'm sure the general picture is right, I'm skeptical that even the credit card company typically knows the items in your shopping cart, let alone your auto insurance company. The article merely quotes some individual's assertion.

drawpoker

Postby drawpoker » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:21 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:.... I'm skeptical that even the credit card company typically knows the items in your shopping cart, let alone your auto insurance company. The article merely quotes some individual's assertion.

True enough. But this individual is not just some guy occupying a bar stool next to you.

He is a high honcho with the Consumer Federation of America, and has the ear of the NPR people.

I'm impressed.

fareastwarriors

Postby fareastwarriors » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:32 am

I been using the Citi Doublecash since it came out. Never had an issue with the online portal.

BackOfTheNet

Postby BackOfTheNet » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:08 pm

File a CFPB complaint.

I've filed two complaints and each time I received a phone call from a very motivated and empowered person at the credit card company. Both problems were quickly fixed after much runaround through the typical channels.

inbox788

Postby inbox788 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:09 pm

Their technical support is awful. Customer support and technical support used to be overseas with very thick accents. Now I think they're still overseas, but they've improved on the language front. But on their ability to solve problems, I think it's gotten worse. I use Chrome and I'm always experiencing problems. They ask me to use IE or Firefox, and that doesn't help. They always try to blame me for their problems, and often can't fix anything, mainly because they tell me to do useless stuff like clearing the cache or changing browser settings. Miraculously, a week later, with no changes on my side, things begin to work again.

I still have a couple of accounts with them that I have specific uses left. I used them more in the past, but the problems have forced me to shift away from them and seek better solutions. It's on the cutting block and not a long term bank for me.

inbox788

Postby inbox788 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:18 pm

Longtermgrowth wrote:This is one of my concerns with viewing statements and paying bills online. I have considered just having credit card bills mailed to me. Is it worth saving a stamp to possibly have my credit score hurt by a late payment due to issues on their end or mine?

Hope you manage to get things worked out and that these issues don't negatively affect your credit.

I used to have mail problems, so I wasn't getting my paper bills. I got dinged numerous times, so I got tired calling in to get it fixed, and they got tired of me calling and were threatening to charge me for the late fees, so I started making a minimum payment twice a month just to be sure if one were missed, there was a second chance. It's been over a decade, but I've kept the habit of making 2 automatic payments each month, so at worse, I might get hit with a little interest, but no late fees or dings to my credit. I haven't taken the plunge towards automatically paying off the balance on my credit card via bank bill payment. I do do that with my utility bills though.

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”