Endless Job Interviews (with same company)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
cresive

Re: Endless Job Interviews (with same company)

Postby cresive » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:01 pm

mirror wrote:I have been through 4 rounds of interviews with the same potential employer and now they want to set up another interview (with the same people). This tells me that either: a) they are indecisive, b) they have concerns about my qualifications, c) they are stringing me along as a backup until they can find a better candidate, or d) some combination of the above. I could understand if it were different people each time, but since it is with the same people this threw up a big red flag to me. Would you agree?

As frustrating as your experience is, I have seen it more often of late. In fact, a friend of mine had more than 5, and a couple with mixed messages before they hired him. He was out of work, so had to play along, but he accepted their offer and is really happy with the company. I know it is an annoying tactic, but I have seen it a few times. I hope it works out for you.

inbox788

Postby inbox788 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:04 pm

This reminds me. Many years ago, I interviewed for a position and was brought back for another round. I found out later the reason for the next round was that I was not selected for the position I was applying for, but they thought I'd be a good fit for an adjacent opening. They wound up making me an offer, but I wound up choosing another opportunity.

nedsaid

Postby nedsaid » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:07 pm

DaftInvestor wrote:
nedsaid wrote:It is really appalling how poorly companies treat their job candidates. Most of the time when you don't make the cut, you never hear back. Just silence. To me, that is incredibly rude particularly when they say they will get back to you. Even finalists for a job are met with silence if not selected. It is also a signal that it is still an employer's market out there. They can still pick and choose from among their candidates. The 5% unemployment number that is cited is just not true, we are not at full employment as some economists claim.

The last 4 companies I worked for (including current) get back to EVERY candidate that comes in for an interview.
In my opinion - if the company doesn't get back to you - its not a company that treats people well and not where you want to be working.

That is the way I feel too. I have attended classes through my state's worksource program and other job seekers have had very similar experiences. At least where I live, companies feel no need to get back to those candidates that are not selected. It is appalling behavior but apparently the norm. You take the time to apply, interview, and send thank you notes and companies feel no need to return any courtesy whatsoever.
A fool and his money are good for business.

itstoomuch

Postby itstoomuch » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:19 pm

Anecdotal:
Our son had his name out in the market about 5 years ago. Very large consumer electronics firm contacted on Weds nite (day 1) and did a phone interview.
Thursday (D2) he did some more phone interviews/question with this co.
Friday (D3) they asked him to fly down from Seattle to SanJose, ticket will be ordered. He received flight confirmation.
Saturday (D4) he did a full round of in person interviews after which they asked him to put together a presentation for Sunday. He phones home late Saturday for some computer files, data which we finally got together early Sunday 2am.
He gives Sunday's (D5) presentation, says has lunch with his college roommate and flies back to Seattle.
He repeated tells them that he has been offered another job but has not yet accepted but company expects an answer by Wednesday (D8). He doesn't hear from interviewing company, so he accepts offer on table.
Thursday, (D9), interviewing company pleads for a delay because final written approval is pending, although verbally given by VP. Son says Ok, but they got till Monday (D13) after which don't bother. Monday comes and goes and son gives his 2week notice.
Friday (D17), interviewing company offers him job with big salary. He says, Sorry, I gave you a timeframe repeatedly,and delayed the drop dead time already and this is way beyond the absolute drop dead date.

YMMV. You snooze. You loose.
4 buckets: SS+pension;dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rental. Do OK any 2 bkts. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax 25%. Early SS. FundingRatio (FR) >1.1 Age 67/70

enki

Postby enki » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:03 pm

I've been on both sides of the table. With my last two jobs, I had multiple rounds of interviews. The one before current, it took about 3 months from first call to job offer (but I already had a job so didn't care too much). A couple phone interviews, followed by a in-person interview with my boss and some team members. Then I was told that I had to meet with the CEO, per company policy, before getting an offer. That took 1.5 months, with constant phone calls and promises about how they really wanted me and were trying to schedule it. Finally met with the CEO, who loved me, but it still took another couple weeks before getting the offer (which I took). Long story short, it was the case of someone (my soon to be boss) trying to plead the case to be able to hire another employee to the CEO of a small company that didn't like spending money. So effectively, he was recruiting people before he had approval to actually hire them. [OT comment removed by moderator prudent]

During my 4+ years there, I quickly rose through the ranks to be in charge of a couple departments -- including hiring people. My policy was simple -- a phone interview followed by a series of same day in-person interviews with myself, co-workers and occasionally other department heads (even though it was my call, I liked to get second opinions from people I trusted). If I thought they would be a better fit in a different department, I would often bring in that dept head to meet with them that day to cut down on time. All in all, it was probably a 2 hour process, but I tried to be as efficient as possible to not waste anyone's time. We would eventually decide on who we wanted and they would need to come back for the ritual CEO meeting, which was just a rubber stamp but policy. Eventually the CEO got tired of doing it and we eliminated that step, but if they got to that point, they basically had the job.

At my current employer, the interview process was fairly simple. One phone interview, one in-person interview (with a handful of people) and a follow-up call that was more of a negotiation phase. However, we've grown a bit and changed, so new candidates will often get called back at once for follow-up interviews with higher ups. In some situations, where there is disagreement, it might result in a third in-person meeting. Personally, I think it is a waste of time.

Postby 2015 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:44 pm

nedsaid wrote:It is really appalling how poorly companies treat their job candidates. Most of the time when you don't make the cut, you never hear back. Just silence. To me, that is incredibly rude particularly when they say they will get back to you. Even finalists for a job are met with silence if not selected. It is also a signal that it is still an employer's market out there. They can still pick and choose from among their candidates. The 5% unemployment number that is cited is just not true, we are not at full employment as some economists claim.

As an applicant, you should only expect to receive an email acknowledging an organization has received your application. Once you're invited to be interviewed, you've become a "candidate", and are probably in the top 5 or top 3, and an effective organization/hiring manager should be treating you with greater deference. Once interviewed and not selected, you can expect at least a (gracious) email regurgitating the usual "we have a selected a candidate whose qualifications more closely fit our needs", or other such mind-numbing nonsense (but at least they got back to you). I'm sorry, but efficient/effective managers should not be spending their time calling candidates who weren't selected when a properly crafted email will suffice. Once selected, any hiring manager who knows what he's doing will ensure your process of integration into the organization is thorough, gets you off to a good start, and sets you up to win. If he's got a sickly HR department that fails to support him sufficiently---and there are many--this integration process just might not happen. At that time, it's your job to integrate yourself.

Efficient and effective individuals conducting a job search should not be wasting more time than necessary on any individual organization prior to a show of serious interest. The interviewing game, which is really nothing more than a sales game, should be viewed as strategically as possible. Otherwise, you're in danger of wasting your precious and limited emotional, psychological and physical energy during a job search. It is and will remain an employer's market, as well as a winner takes all market. Your job as an applicant is to position yourself as the solution to whatever problem the employer/hiring manager is trying to solve through hiring. The way to do this is to find out as much as possible whatever issue is attempting to be solved. This is accomplished by respectfully asking questions during the interview regarding what the manager is trying to change, add, or improve, and then matching your applicable past accomplishments where you made things better, faster, cheaper, or newer (implemented new processes). Then, once hired, keep your promises, add value, and continue to add your accomplishments to your resume. Approach the entire process no less than strategically at all times. Don't "get a job", take one.

mirror

Postby mirror » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:37 pm

Thanks for the feedback all. Proceeding with caution.
There are two types of people: those that can extrapolate from incomplete data.

nedsaid

Postby nedsaid » Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:45 pm

2015 wrote:

As an applicant, you should only expect to receive an email acknowledging an organization has received your application. Once you're invited to be interviewed, you've become a "candidate", and are probably in the top 5 or top 3, and an effective organization/hiring manager should be treating you with greater deference. Once interviewed and not selected, you can expect at least a (gracious) email regurgitating the usual "we have a selected a candidate whose qualifications more closely fit our needs", or other such mind-numbing nonsense (but at least they got back to you). I'm sorry, but efficient/effective managers should not be spending their time calling candidates who weren't selected when a properly crafted email will suffice. Once selected, any hiring manager who knows what he's doing will ensure your process of integration into the organization is thorough, gets you off to a good start, and sets you up to win. If he's got a sickly HR department that fails to support him sufficiently---and there are many--this integration process just might not happen. At that time, it's your job to integrate yourself.

Efficient and effective individuals conducting a job search should not be wasting more time than necessary on any individual organization prior to a show of serious interest. The interviewing game, which is really nothing more than a sales game, should be viewed as strategically as possible. Otherwise, you're in danger of wasting your precious and limited emotional, psychological and physical energy during a job search. It is and will remain an employer's market, as well as a winner takes all market. Your job as an applicant is to position yourself as the solution to whatever problem the employer/hiring manager is trying to solve through hiring. The way to do this is to find out as much as possible whatever issue is attempting to be solved. This is accomplished by respectfully asking questions during the interview regarding what the manager is trying to change, add, or improve, and then matching your applicable past accomplishments where you made things better, faster, cheaper, or newer (implemented new processes). Then, once hired, keep your promises, add value, and continue to add your accomplishments to your resume. Approach the entire process no less than strategically at all times. Don't "get a job", take one.

After interviews, sometimes I hear back and sometimes not. Sometimes you don't even receive an e-mail, just silence. If an interviewer says they will get back to you, they should mean what they say. A gracious e-mail from the hiring manager will suffice but quite often you don't hear anything at all. This is not unusual.
A fool and his money are good for business.

Postby 2015 » Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:32 pm

nedsaid wrote:
2015 wrote:

After interviews, sometimes I hear back and sometimes not. Sometimes you don't even receive an e-mail, just silence. If an interviewer says they will get back to you, they should mean what they say. A gracious e-mail from the hiring manager will suffice but quite often you don't hear anything at all. This is not unusual.

It's a cliche, but a serious job search should be treated like a job, where you research opportunities, apply, interview, network, attend job fairs, send thank you letters, etc., doing as many of these things as possible to fill every day for at least Monday-Friday. A serious job search involves interviewing with several companies at once, and having many balls in the air. You wait for no one, immediately interviewing with the next targeted organization, sometimes scheduling two (three even) in the same day.

BTW, you never "interview", you are making a sales call, and the objective of each "interview" is to close that sale. You actually have two divisions: marketing and sales. Your marketing division consists of your cover letter/resume. The biggest waste of time I've seen people do is to do "targeted resumes" and redo their resume over and over. Waste of time. If you know your field well enough you should be able to craft a resume that checks all the boxes--and, most importantly, gets responses. Your cover letter/resume should be so good that you get immediate responses after posting. The only purpose of a resume is to get an interview. Nothing more. Your cover letter, OTOH, is always targeted, specific to any desired qualifications listed in the job posting.

Your sales division is your interviewing. Your objective at each step is to move further. If the position requires a phone screen, you objective is to perfect your responses to the point where phone screens lead to an interview 99% of the time. The objective of your first interview is to be called back for the next, and then the next interview, etc. If you are not in the top three, ideally two, candidate pool for positions you are applying for in targeted organizations, you have not perfected your interviewing/sales techniques sufficiently. Once you become one of the top three candidates, it's not much different than a beauty contest at that point, and trying to "understand" why you weren't selected is a big waste of time (Moon's in Sag? Mercury's in retrograde?). This is the reason you should be interviewing with as many targeted organizations simultaneously as possible. Who cares if an organization get back to you--you've already moved on. Until you get that offer letter in hand offering you the position, you are loyal to no one but yourself.

Paul69

Postby Paul69 » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:05 am

Take note of the type of interview. My company has the habit of after the 2nd or 3rd interview to give you a "real world scenario" and ask how you'd solve it....in detail. If what you provided works out in fixing the issue, they will ask you back again for another scenario. This goes on 3-4 times or until the applicant turns down another interview. The end result is the company gets problems solved for free using "outside eyes" that are unbiased. The position never gets filled since it really is only there as a input for ideas.

DeerRunner

Postby DeerRunner » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:26 am

That's horrible. You should post that on Glassdoor to give applicants a heads up. Sure, you work for said company, but this really is unethical.

bubbly

Postby bubbly » Mon Mar 27, 2017 12:01 pm

Paul69 wrote:Take note of the type of interview. My company has the habit of after the 2nd or 3rd interview to give you a "real world scenario" and ask how you'd solve it....in detail. If what you provided works out in fixing the issue, they will ask you back again for another scenario. This goes on 3-4 times or until the applicant turns down another interview. The end result is the company gets problems solved for free using "outside eyes" that are unbiased. The position never gets filled since it really is only there as a input for ideas.

Watched this happen on a TV show on HBO (Silicon Valley) and thought it was hilarious. Knowing that this happens in real life; not as funny. I actually wouldn't have any issues with it if the person that solves the problem is offered the job since he clearly demonstrated some rare technical/leadership expertise but I do think it's morally questionable when a company is too cheap to pay for outside consultants for issues/problems.

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”