Individual 401(k) tax question.

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
User avatar
plannerman
Posts: 671
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: NC Mountains

Individual 401(k) tax question.

Post by plannerman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:46 am

This question has been asked here before, but to the best of my knowledge, never answered.

When calculating the maximum elective deferrals and employer nonelective contribution amounts to an Individual 401(k) for a self employed individual, does making a Roth IRA contribution effect either of those amounts? FWIW, neither TurboTax nor the professional tax preparation software used by the tax preparer for my son's business, reduces the deferral amounts because of Roth contributions. And, as a result, one can end up deferring more than their earned income. This appears to be a free lunch from the IRS, which doesn't sound likely to me.

Anybody care to weigh-in with a documented answer?

plannerman

Ren
Posts: 29
Joined: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:16 am

Re: Individual 401(k) tax question.

Post by Ren » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:16 am

You aren't deferring anything in a Roth IRA, so it wouldn't affect your i401k deferrals/contributions. Taxes are already paid on your Roth contributions.

livesoft
Posts: 60977
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Individual 401(k) tax question.

Post by livesoft » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:21 am

I think the answer is Yes, one can double dip.

For instance: One earns $8,000. One puts at much as possible in their Roth 401(k) or $7434.

Then one puts $5,500 into their Roth IRA.

One uses money from elsewhere (a taxable account?) to pay taxes and make contributions.

It's not really double-dipping if one (or one's spouse) has enough income to cover the Roth IRA contribution, too.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
plannerman
Posts: 671
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: NC Mountains

Re: Individual 401(k) tax question.

Post by plannerman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:07 pm

livesoft wrote:I think the answer is Yes, one can double dip.
It's not really double-dipping if one (or one's spouse) has enough income to cover the Roth IRA contribution, too.
No spouse, no other earned income.

planerman

Spirit Rider
Posts: 7988
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Individual 401(k) tax question.

Post by Spirit Rider » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:25 pm

You missed livesoft's first point by focusing on his second point.

IRA contributions require compensation. Roth 401k deferrals do not reduce compensation. Therefore, you can still use the compensation used for Roth 401k deferrals to make IRA contributions.

This is not just true for the self-employed. A regular employee's W-2 Box 1 wages is not reduced by Roth 401k deferrals. W-2 Box 1 is a safe harbor for IRA contributions. See IRS publication 590-A, the description of compensation for both traditional IRA and Roth IRA contributions. Only pre-tax deferrals reduce compensation available for IRA contributions.

User avatar
plannerman
Posts: 671
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: NC Mountains

Re: Individual 401(k) tax question.

Post by plannerman » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:37 pm

Spirit Rider wrote:You missed livesoft's first point by focusing on his second point.

IRA contributions require compensation. Roth 401k deferrals do not reduce compensation. Therefore, you can still use the compensation used for Roth 401k deferrals to make IRA contributions.

This is not just true for the self-employed. A regular employee's W-2 Box 1 wages is not reduced by Roth 401k deferrals. W-2 Box 1 is a safe harbor for IRA contributions. See IRS publication 590-A, the description of compensation for both traditional IRA and Roth IRA contributions. Only pre-tax deferrals reduce compensation available for IRA contributions.
Is the converse true? That is, can you use the compensation (earned income in the case of a self employed individual) used for a traditional Individual 401(k) deferral for a Roth IRA contribution? That is really my question. Thanks

plannerman

Spirit Rider
Posts: 7988
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Individual 401(k) tax question.

Post by Spirit Rider » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:46 pm

plannerman wrote:Is the converse true? That is, can you use the compensation (earned income in the case of a self employed individual) used for a traditional Individual 401(k) deferral for a Roth IRA contribution? That is really my question.
No, as I explained. A traditional pre-tax deferral whether by a self-employed individual or a W-2 employee reduces the compensation available to make an IRA contribution.

User avatar
plannerman
Posts: 671
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 10:42 pm
Location: NC Mountains

Re: Individual 401(k) tax question.

Post by plannerman » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:20 am

Spirit Rider wrote:
plannerman wrote:Is the converse true? That is, can you use the compensation (earned income in the case of a self employed individual) used for a traditional Individual 401(k) deferral for a Roth IRA contribution? That is really my question.
No, as I explained. A traditional pre-tax deferral whether by a self-employed individual or a W-2 employee reduces the compensation available to make an IRA contribution.
Thanks Spirit Rider that is what I suspected all along but couldn't confirm in my reading of the IRS instructions. I'm not sure why TurboTax doesn't seen to work that way, I probably just entered something wrong. Now that you have confirmed how it should work, I will try and sort that out today.

plannerman

Post Reply