Using the Fidelity Rewards Visa in Europe?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
mptfan

Using the Fidelity Rewards Visa in Europe?

Postby mptfan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:58 pm

I am planning a trip to Italy next month. I recently got the Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature card with 2% cash back and I have been using it as my primary card recently and I am very happy with it based on my experience in the U.S., but I plan on using the card when I am in Italy and I would like to know if anyone has experience using this card in Europe and if they experienced any issues? I know the card has a chip, but I do not know if it works as a "chip and pin" or a "chip and signature" card. Does it work as a chip and pin card in automated machines? Did you have an issue with transactions being declined? Thanks.

I know the card has a 1% foreign transaction fee, but as someone on this board wisely pointed out, since the card gives 2% cash back, it is essentially a 1% cash back card when used abroad.
I eat risk for breakfast. :)

foglifter

Re: Using the Fidelity Rewards Visa in Europe?

Postby foglifter » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:47 pm

I haven't yet used this card overseas after it was converted into Visa from AmEx. Bu I have used CapitalOne Quicksilver MasterCard several times in various countries and it worked as a chip and signature card. On a couple of occasions I was asked to enter a PIN and I did. Somehow it worked, even though officially this card - as most of the US-issued cards - is a "chip and signature" card.

So,I recommend to set up a PIN code (the one intended for cash advances) for the card before you leave.

BTW, if the terminal or merchant asks whether you want to pay in USD or Euro, choose USD. SO you use your bank's exchange rate and not merchant's rate (which might not be the best available).

neilpilot

Postby neilpilot » Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:05 pm

foglifter wrote:BTW, if the terminal or merchant asks whether you want to pay in USD or Euro, choose USD. SO you use your bank's exchange rate and not merchant's rate (which might not be the best available).

I do think you have this backwards. Don't you really want to "choose Euro"? I know I do.

Hodor

Postby Hodor » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:02 pm

neilpilot wrote:
foglifter wrote:BTW, if the terminal or merchant asks whether you want to pay in USD or Euro, choose USD. SO you use your bank's exchange rate and not merchant's rate (which might not be the best available).

I do think you have this backwards. Don't you really want to "choose Euro"? I know I do.

Yes you do want to pay in the local currency. Otherwise they will charge you a big markup to the market exchange rate.

I never had any problem using my chip-and-signature (Capital One Quicksilver) in Europe. It even worked in automated machines at the train station.

radiowave

Postby radiowave » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:18 pm

Recent trip to Italy last June/July. I did not use the Fidelity rewards card but I did use my Fidelity debit card linked to a separate cash management account and it worked perfectly and I did not get any foreign transaction fees. Only used that card for ATM cash withdrawals in banks with secure access. I used the Capital One Quicksilver Visa card as my main credit card and that worked perfectly, no FTF and 1.5% rewards. I did not have any issues purchasing train tickets in the vending machines.

mptfan

Postby mptfan » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:05 pm

Hodor wrote:I never had any problem using my chip-and-signature (Capital One Quicksilver) in Europe. It even worked in automated machines at the train station.

What PIN did you use? If a card is a pin and signature, doesn't that mean there is no PIN?

foglifter

Foglifter

Postby foglifter » Wed Mar 15, 2017 10:11 pm

Hodor wrote:
neilpilot wrote:

Yes you do want to pay in the local currency. Otherwise they will charge you a big markup to the market exchange rate.

I never had any problem using my chip-and-signature (Capital One Quicksilver) in Europe. It even worked in automated machines at the train station.

Oops, yes, I meant to say Euro. Thanks!

Hodor

Postby Hodor » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:05 pm

mptfan wrote:
Hodor wrote:I never had any problem using my chip-and-signature (Capital One Quicksilver) in Europe. It even worked in automated machines at the train station.

What PIN did you use? If a card is a pin and signature, doesn't that mean there is no PIN?

No PIN necessary.

ProfessorX

Postby ProfessorX » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:40 pm

I used the fidelity Visa card in France for a month last summer without any problems. Used it at restaurants, metro stations, grocery stores, etc. Just call elan ahead of time and tell them where you are going and the dates of your visit etc.

ThePrune

Postby ThePrune » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:21 am

I used my Fidelity card in France, Germany and Czech Republic last Sept. without problems. The card shows up as a "chip and signature" card, so merchant has you sign rather than enter pin.

For getting cash at bank ATMs, I did have to enter the card's PIN, so make sure you have that memorized. I always like to have plenty of cash in Europe since many restaurants won't take cards. Had quite a scare once at a business dinner in Paris once when I figured out that the French at the bottom of the menu was saying "cash only".
Investment skill is often just luck in sheep's clothing.

MisterBill

Postby MisterBill » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:41 am

ThePrune wrote:For getting cash at bank ATMs, I did have to enter the card's PIN, so make sure you have that memorized. I always like to have plenty of cash in Europe since many restaurants won't take cards. Had quite a scare once at a business dinner in Paris once when I figured out that the French at the bottom of the menu was saying "cash only".

Wouldn't that have been considered a cash advance and be subject to interest charges?

Cruise

Postby Cruise » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:41 pm

radiowave wrote:Recent trip to Italy last June/July. I did not use the Fidelity rewards card but I did use my Fidelity debit card linked to a separate cash management account and it worked perfectly and I did not get any foreign transaction fees. Only used that card for ATM cash withdrawals in banks with secure access.

Highly recommend this course of action for making sure you have cash.

For charge transactions, I use a rewards card that has no FTFs. While your card would get you a net 1% cash back, you could get 3 points per dollar with a Chase Sapphire Reserve on all travel and restaurant purchases.

whodidntante

Postby whodidntante » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:20 am

I have traveled to Europe a few times a year for the past 15 years so "we've met." American cards are chip and signature unless otherwise bragged about by the issuer. Even cards that are capable of chip and PIN will default to chip and signature. The Fidelity card will be chip and signature and that works well for most of Europe, but you might have an issue with certain automated ticket stations or gas pumps. I have a true chip and PIN card that my employer issued me, and it's saved me a few times. Prior to that, I found that sometimes a debit card will function as chip and PIN in those automated stations, but don't count on it.

whodidntante

Postby whodidntante » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:24 am

MisterBill wrote:
ThePrune wrote:For getting cash at bank ATMs, I did have to enter the card's PIN, so make sure you have that memorized. I always like to have plenty of cash in Europe since many restaurants won't take cards. Had quite a scare once at a business dinner in Paris once when I figured out that the French at the bottom of the menu was saying "cash only".

Wouldn't that have been considered a cash advance and be subject to interest charges?

Use your American ATM card. You can know if it will work at a particular ATM by the network it supports. But usually, it works. The big banks charge a really high fee for international ATM use. Don't use them. I've had good luck with my Fidelity Cash Management ATM card and with different credit unions. Make sure you tell them you intend to travel. Fidelity normally cuts me off if I forget.

MisterBill

Postby MisterBill » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:34 am

whodidntante wrote:
MisterBill wrote:

Use your American ATM card. You can know if it will work at a particular ATM by the network it supports. But usually, it works. The big banks charge a really high fee for international ATM use. Don't use them. I've had good luck with my Fidelity Cash Management ATM card and with different credit unions. Make sure you tell them you intend to travel. Fidelity normally cuts me off if I forget.

Thanks, I understand that. But the post I was replying to was talking about the Fidelity Visa credit card. Maybe they were talking about the debit card instead? I don't know.

mptfan

Postby mptfan » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:30 am

whodidntante wrote:I have traveled to Europe a few times a year for the past 15 years so "we've met." American cards are chip and signature unless otherwise bragged about by the issuer. Even cards that are capable of chip and PIN will default to chip and signature. The Fidelity card will be chip and signature and that works well for most of Europe, but you might have an issue with certain automated ticket stations or gas pumps.

So what happens when you put a chip and signature card in an automated machine? Does it ask for a pin? Does it depend on the machine? What happens if you do not enter a pin?

whodidntante

Postby whodidntante » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:20 pm

mptfan wrote:
whodidntante wrote:I have traveled to Europe a few times a year for the past 15 years so "we've met." American cards are chip and signature unless otherwise bragged about by the issuer. Even cards that are capable of chip and PIN will default to chip and signature. The Fidelity card will be chip and signature and that works well for most of Europe, but you might have an issue with certain automated ticket stations or gas pumps.

So what happens when you put a chip and signature card in an automated machine? Does it ask for a pin? Does it depend on the machine? What happens if you do not enter a pin?

That depends. Sometimes you can press "OK" without a PIN and it will work, sometimes you can enter 0000 and it will work, and sometimes you will not be able to pay at all.

duckcalldan

Postby duckcalldan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:03 am

We are heading to Amsterdam in 2 weeks. We've had no problems with Chase Sapphire Preferred on prior European trips, but this trip we will be using the combo of Chase Sapphire Reserve for dining and travel, Citi Prestige for all normal spending (MC generally has a better conversion rate than Visa) and our new Barclaycard Arrival Plus for non-attended locations like train and gas stations. It's a chip & pin Visa that supports online and offline pins but will default to chip and signature use like almost all USA credit cards if there's an attendant that can collect a signature. And our Fidelity CMA debit card for ATM use.

student

Postby student » Tue Mar 21, 2017 7:42 am

Capital One has a 1.5% cashback card with no foreign transaction fee.

MisterBill

Postby MisterBill » Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:12 pm

student wrote:Capital One has a 1.5% cashback card with no foreign transaction fee.

Bank of America's Travel Rewards card is the same. And the rebate jumps to as high as 2.625% if you're a Preferred Rewards customer.

EagertoLearnMore

Postby EagertoLearnMore » Thu Mar 23, 2017 2:08 pm

+1 Capital One Quicksilver Card

No problems using anywhere from restaurants to train tickets

No foreign exchange fee

Yes, 1.5% cash back

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”