Quicken For Mac - Admiral Shares

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Quicken For Mac - Admiral Shares

Post by abuss368 »

Bogleheads -

How many folks use Quicken for Mac and have downloaded the program? How would you rate your experience?

My question is specifically related to the Vanguard conversion from Investor shares to Admiral shares. It has been discussed many times the problem with Quicken and the conversion in terms of rounding of shares, cost basis information does not agree, etc. I believe this may have been fixed with Quicken for Windows.

How about the Mac version? Does the Mac version properly convert the Admiral shares form Investor Shares? Are there rounding issues?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Re: Quicken For Mac - Admiral Shares

Post by abuss368 »

As a follow up, I was reviewing Quicken's website including the technical support page. I tried key terms such as "Admiral" shares and mutual fund conversion. I did not read anything specific related to Vanguard mutual fund.

Hopefully Bogleheads have some insight.
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I bought Quicken for Mac recently, but returned it because the reports were not adequate (wish I had checked into that before importing my data). To do the conversion from Investor to Admiral, I would sell all shares at Investor NAV and then rebuy using the number of Admiral shares and the total cash value and let Quicken calculate the NAV. You're saying there is some issue with that process? I don't use Quicken (actually GnuCash now) to track basis, I do that in a spreadsheet.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

rkhusky wrote:I bought Quicken for Mac recently, but returned it because the reports were not adequate (wish I had checked into that before importing my data). To do the conversion from Investor to Admiral, I would sell all shares at Investor NAV and then rebuy using the number of Admiral shares and the total cash value and let Quicken calculate the NAV. You're saying there is some issue with that process? I don't use Quicken (actually GnuCash now) to track basis, I do that in a spreadsheet.
With Apple and Macs so popular I wonder why they don't make a better product.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Any additional feedback or information?
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

abuss368 wrote:
rkhusky wrote:I bought Quicken for Mac recently, but returned it because the reports were not adequate (wish I had checked into that before importing my data). To do the conversion from Investor to Admiral, I would sell all shares at Investor NAV and then rebuy using the number of Admiral shares and the total cash value and let Quicken calculate the NAV. You're saying there is some issue with that process? I don't use Quicken (actually GnuCash now) to track basis, I do that in a spreadsheet.
With Apple and Macs so popular I wonder why they don't make a better product.
It is now run by a new company who are slowly trying to make it better. There was a large time where the Mac version lagged the Windows version. It's still not there yet.
Topic Author
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Does Quicken for Mac have the Mutual Fund Conversion feature? Will this work for Admiral share conversions?