rachio smart sprinkler controller

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
cestan

rachio smart sprinkler controller

Post by cestan »

was just given one of these. does anyone have one and use it? your thoughts? will it acutually save me any water?
anil686

Re: rachio smart sprinkler controller

Post by anil686 »

I have one and like it. I don't know about saving a lot of water - depends on where you live and how much rain you get. The more rain - the more it will save as it uses the internet to determine weather and whether to run the sprinklers on that day. You can add an optional rain sensor that makes it more accurate (I think they are made by various companies) and run the wires in and connect it to the 2nd generation (I have the 2nd gen) which helps even more but is not necessary.

For those of us who have pools with a dedicated pool zone for pool filling - it is very handy as it can be programmed differently for that one zone than the rest.

Pretty easy to install (and I am not handy) but replaced my old rain bird controller with this one in about 1.5 hours and if you are handy probably half the time.

Hope it helps...
petesamprs

Post by petesamprs »

I have a competitor product - the Rainmachine HD-12. I'm sure it saves water but i'm not sure it saves much more than just having a regular rain sensor which most systems have.

I just like the ease of use. Can easily control each zone from your phone, set up different watering programs and track usage history very easily. Very helpful when you are maintaining your system as well - you can walk around the property with your phone and turn zones on/off to check spray patterns and adjust heads.
logos

Post by logos »

Mine saved me quite a bit of money. Did not have a rain sensor before. Live in the desert. Water is expensive and increases in cost the more you use so a small reduction in water use can save a lot of $$. My water bill dropped by about $200/month.
desiderium

Post by desiderium »

I have one and I love it. Not sure if I've saved money. In the past I would turn it off some of the times when it would rain then forget to turn it back on, so was watering inappropriately and withholding water inappropriately. My yard looks great and it is easy to tweak. Seems like an optimal use of current technology.
TheEternalVortex

Post by TheEternalVortex »

I have one and it's pretty great. I like how it adjusts watering times based on the season & weather. I have no idea if it saves money but it has cool charts.
wilshuer

Post by wilshuer »

I have had a RainMachine for about a year now and love it. It looks at the weather forecast for rain and temperature to make smart adjustments, sometimes increasing the watering time or lowering based on zone type (grass, trees, etc) as well as rain. Also has a rain sensor set up on it as well. Takes the whole guessing out of watering, I estimate it's saved me ~50/mo average based on history with cheap controller. If you received free, only cost is your time to hook up.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Just installed a Rachio today

I have 12 zones

I love that it sets up schedules auto
aticlaly and varies which zones and how long

We’ll see how well it actually works. Better grass for less water would be ideal.
RetiredInTheWest

Post by RetiredInTheWest »

I was pretty OCD about watering our lawn, then got one of these this year. Decided to let it do its thing and see how it compared. I was shocked that it did a better job than I did! I love it.

Be sure to check for local rebates (got $100 here). Rachio also sent us a pre-paid FedEx to send our old controller back to be recycled.
spartanap

Post by spartanap »

Our yard has some slope to it and the Rachio will break up watering times to each zone to prevent runoff. Not sure if it's saving us much money, but this feature, along with the rain sensing, is very useful.
mw1739

Post by mw1739 »

Installed a Rachio 3 earlier this year. Loving the capabilities so far. Water bill appears to be flat/slightly higher, but the lawn is looking great despite the high temperatures lately.
mervinj7

Post by mervinj7 »

We installed two Rachio 3s last year. The hardware costs were partially covered by our water utility. I was surprised that on average we used less water during the course of the year (slightly more in the hot summer, but much less in the rainy winters here) but the grass really does look greener. Glad I listened to our neighbors and purchased them.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

wilshuer wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:39 am I have had a RainMachine for about a year now and love it. It looks at the weather forecast for rain and temperature to make smart adjustments, sometimes increasing the watering time or lowering based on zone type (grass, trees, etc) as well as rain. Also has a rain sensor set up on it as well. Takes the whole guessing out of watering, I estimate it's saved me ~50/mo average based on history with cheap controller. If you received free, only cost is your time to hook up.
I installed a rainmachine controller this year for our vegetable garden and love it. Really easy to use and the adjustment based on the weather forecast seems to work well.

Im sure the rachio's work just as good. There really isn't a need to have smart phone control once its setup so I went with the rainmachine which has a screen and its nice that it gives me a rough weather forecast to check when I walk by it.