Should I get a Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Calygos

Should I get a Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa?

Post by Calygos » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:54 pm

So recently I closed two credit cards whose rewards sucked compared to my other two.

Active
  • Capital One Quicksilver Visa, 1.5% cash back, $25k limit, 13 months old, used for everything
  • Amex Blue Cash Everyday, 3% groceries, 2% gas, 1% everything else, $25k limit, Amex account is almost 17 years old, used rarely since I spend little on groceries and gas and my gas station doesn't even get the 2% (Fred Meyer), plus it's statement credits and I prefer flat cash back

Closed
  • Wells Fargo Cash Back Signature Visa, 1% cash back, $9k limit, 10 years old
  • Amex Blue Sky, $100 statement credit for 7500 points (1.33% returns), $18k limit, Amex account is 17 years old

I'm thinking of getting the Chase Freedom Unlimited, which is basically identical to my Capital One Quicksilver Visa (1.5% cash back plus $150 for the first $500 spent in 3 months) so I'd pretty much just split my spending between the QS and Chase cards, with occasional minimal use of the Amex just to keep it active.

Does this seem reasonable? I prefer to keep my finances simple and minimal, but the $150 is nice and it gives me another long-term credit account (aside from my car loan) to ultimately keep my credit score high, just in case I ever manage to find a house I like and that I can afford.

EDIT: Figured I should add that, for what it's worth, my auto loan is with Chase.

DSInvestor

Re: Should I get a Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa?

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:58 pm

Take a look at Citi Double Cash - no annual fee, 2% cash back and CITI Price Rewind feature. I use this as my everyday card. I also have Capital One card which I use for foreign spending (no foreign transaction fee). I use my Costco visa card for costco and gas purchases.

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:18 pm

DSInvestor wrote:Take a look at Citi Double Cash - no annual fee, 2% cash back and CITI Price Rewind feature. I use this as my everyday card. I also have Capital One card which I use for foreign spending (no foreign transaction fee). I use my Costco visa card for costco and gas purchases.

I've seen the Citi card mentioned all over the place here and on the PF subreddit. Here are my thoughts for my personal financial context:

• It would completely obviate my Quicksilver (I don't travel), but marginally, meaning I'd now have two cards I'd need to use just a little to keep them active. Also, for my overall spending for the year I'm estimating at under $900 for gas, $2400 for groceries, $2400 for utilities, and likely under $3000 for everything else, so that's about only $120 cash back for the year from the QS and $160 for Citi. With the Chase card, I could just use it and the QS at random, thus keeping up regular good use of them.
  • I already have an account/business relationship with Chase (until my last car payment in May 2019) and keeping the number of financial institutions to a minimum is nice.
  • The Citi card is 1% at purchase and 1% at payment, minor point, but also no $150 initial bonus, which is minor too if taking the 2% vs. 1% difference over the life of the card.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 9:57 pm

The CITI Price rewind refunds you the price difference if a lower price is found at another vendor within 60 days of purchase. Up to $500/item or $2500/yr. I typically get about $1000 back per year using this service above and beyond the 2% cash back. You register your purchase with the service and it will search for prices. It's really easy to use.

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:08 pm

DSInvestor wrote:The CITI Price rewind refunds you the price difference if a lower price is found at another vendor. Up to $500/item or $2500/yr. I typically get about $1000 back per year using this service above and beyond the 2% cash back. You register your purchase with the service and it will search for prices. It's really easy to use.

Sorry, forgot to mention I did look at that original point of yours. I actually don't buy a lot of "stuff" (I did last year but last year was a really odd year for me and most of the stuff I bought tended to be either custom, like my new PC, or specific to a store, like my furniture from Room & Board). The vast majority of my spending is on consumables and basic household goods, nothing I'd go chasing down to see if Wal-Mart has it cheaper or something.

Out of curiosity, what kinds of things were you buying that you managed to take advantage of the Price Rewind feature?

One thing I'd been doing recently as I've analyzed my finances over the last few months is looking at credit cards cash back programs for "low spenders" who don't (and hate) travel to see if there's anything significantly better for people like me, and the Quicksilver card would pop up all the time, alongside the Citi card of course.

ancho

Post by ancho » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:17 pm

You don't need to "use a card just a little to keep it active," as you write. In fact, it's best to never close a no-annual-fee credit card even if you don't use it any more, since the average age of your accounts is a factor. Closing cards will keep your average account age lower. It will also reduce your overall available credit, which means your credit utilization rate will go up, which could also lower your score.

And if you're looking for cash back card, I don't see any reason to use a 1.5% card when there's a 2% card available, and I definitely don't see a reason to open a new 1.5% card when you already have another one open, other than that $150 bonus.

If you don't spend enough on groceries to make the Amex Blue Cash worthwile, I would put your current cards in a safe place (don't close them!), get the Citi Double Cash, and use it for everything. Hard to get simpler than that.

mpsz

Post by mpsz » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:19 pm

If you're looking for cash back... go for one of the 2% cards instead. Fidelity Visa (need a Fidelity account) or the Citi Double Cash.

This card earns Chase Ultimate Rewards points. These are most valuable if you have a Sapphire or Ink card, which will have an annual fee. You can then transfer your Freedom's points onto that other card, and then redeem for discounted travel or transfer the points directly 1:1 to certain rewards programs.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:30 pm

Calygos wrote:
Out of curiosity, what kinds of things were you buying that you managed to take advantage of the Price Rewind feature?

Cooking gear. I recently purchased an Anova Precision cooker (sous vide machine) for $149 and got $50 back.

Camping/hiking gear. I bought a pair of boots for my wife on sale for $119 and got $65 back.
baby/toddler stuff for my grandson.
electronic/computer stuff.
Tires
Books

If you buy a custom PC, the invoice may itemize the prices for each component (HD/SSD, mono, RAM, case, monitor). If so, you can register each component with the service and just up load the receipt PDF for each item.

Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:36 pm

Calygos wrote:Out of curiosity, what kinds of things were you buying that you managed to take advantage of the Price Rewind feature?

A great thing to use Price Rewind is when you're buying from a place that's purposely more expensive for other reasons. For example if you have Amazon Prime you might buy on Amazon because it's free 2 day shipping and then match to another site that's cheaper for the item but might charge for shipping. Or if you buy through a cash back portal and you can capitalize on a more expensive item that has more cash back offered vs. the cheapest option.

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:50 pm

Jags4186 wrote:
Calygos wrote:Out of curiosity, what kinds of things were you buying that you managed to take advantage of the Price Rewind feature?

A great thing to use Price Rewind is when you're buying from a place that's purposely more expensive for other reasons. For example if you have Amazon Prime you might buy on Amazon because it's free 2 day shipping and then match to another site that's cheaper for the item but might charge for shipping. Or if you buy through a cash back portal and you can capitalize on a more expensive item that has more cash back offered vs. the cheapest option.

I'll keep mulling over the options. Thank you for the feedback, I do appreciate it. Honestly, I just don't buy much stuff, being a minimalist and actively avoiding acquiring stuff unless I'm certain it'll really add a lot of value to my life. (I'm actually letting my Amazon Prime subscription expire in May, since looking back at my Amazon spending and real lack of urgency on the things I did buy over the past year, it was absolutely not worth $99 to me. Same with Costco, letting that expire next month.)

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:54 pm

Calygos wrote: (I'm actually letting my Amazon Prime subscription expire in May, since looking back at my Amazon spending and real lack of urgency on the things I did buy over the past year, it was absolutely not worth $99 to me. Same with Costco, letting that expire next month.)

One of the nice features of Amazon Prime is the Amazon video service which I find useful as cord cutter without a cable TV subscription. Good way to watch Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Wire, Sopranos, Band of Brothers, Man in the High Castle, Sneaky Pete, Goliath, The Americans, Justified, just to name a few titles. If you have a tablet or a streaming box give it a try before your Prime subscription expires. Works great on a Roku box. Apple TV does not have Amazon video app but there is one for iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:03 pm

DSInvestor wrote:
Calygos wrote: (I'm actually letting my Amazon Prime subscription expire in May, since looking back at my Amazon spending and real lack of urgency on the things I did buy over the past year, it was absolutely not worth $99 to me. Same with Costco, letting that expire next month.)

One of the nice features of Amazon Prime is the Amazon video service which I find useful as cord cutter without a cable TV subscription. Good way to watch Curb Your Enthusiasm, The Wire, Sopranos, Band of Brothers, Man in the High Castle, Sneaky Pete, Goliath, The Americans, Justified, just to name a few titles.

I did watch a handful movies on it (most recently re-watching Margin Call last weekend), but I stopped watching TV years ago and I'm not big on movies, either. None of the other Prime features were of any value to me, either, so canceling is actually really easy for me. The only true benefit is free shipping regardless of the total amount purchased, but I'm patient and don't even really buy many books anymore, either (6 in the past two years).

fittan

Post by fittan » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:06 am

Apply for the Citi DoubleCash and close off the CapitalOne. Since you mentioned about "finding a house" you should be focusing on improving your credit score now. The Citi DoubleCash provides free FICO score. It will give you a historical chart so you can visualize over time if your score is going up or down.

centrifuge41

Post by centrifuge41 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:11 am

mpsz wrote:If you're looking for cash back... go for one of the 2% cards instead. Fidelity Visa (need a Fidelity account) or the Citi Double Cash.

This card earns Chase Ultimate Rewards points. These are most valuable if you have a Sapphire or Ink card, which will have an annual fee. You can then transfer your Freedom's points onto that other card, and then redeem for discounted travel or transfer the points directly 1:1 to certain rewards programs.

Yes, the Freedom Unlimited is the best, but only if you also have a $95+ AMF card (such as sappire preferred) and also travel. That is, unless you get a BofA Travel Rewards card set up to give you 2.625% travel credit back, which requires having 100k+ invested at Merrill Edge.

If you want a Double Cash but are bothered by it not having a bonus, then sign up for something like a 50k AAdvantage card, and convert it to a double cash after ~11 months.

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:13 am

DSInvestor wrote:Take a look at Citi Double Cash - no annual fee, 2% cash back and CITI Price Rewind feature. I use this as my everyday card. I also have Capital One card which I use for foreign spending (no foreign transaction fee). I use my Costco visa card for costco and gas purchases.

+1

easiest route to go and 2% is the best found. I had a Chase card where I had to activate every quarter but it only earned % back on certain things. Kinda a pain. Now I just use the Citi DC and dumped the rest.

traveltoomuch

Post by traveltoomuch » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:33 am

Calygos wrote:I'm thinking of getting the Chase Freedom Unlimited, which is basically identical to my Capital One Quicksilver Visa ... so I'd pretty much just split my spending between the QS and Chase cards, with occasional minimal use of the Amex just to keep it active.

Does this seem reasonable? I prefer to keep my finances simple and minimal...

No, it does not seem reasonable. It sounds like adding complexity for minimal gain. And you say you prefer simplicity. If the action will not clearly be better, why do it?

(Chase Freedom Unlimited might still be a better card for you than the Quicksilver, but I haven't heard you made a case for that.)

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:51 am

Calygos wrote: Same with Costco, letting that expire next month.)

I've resisted Amazon Prime, but I love Costco :) I get more of my groceries at Costco than at my supermarket. Their credit card is also a really good card for a number of spending categories (4% gas/3% restaurants+travel/2% Costco is good.

As to Chase Freedom Unlimited Visa, it is OK. It is better if you pair it with a premium Chase card (e.g. one of the Sapphire cards) to let you xfer to travel partners. But OPs spending is on the lower side to play those games, and they want simplicity. Citi Double Cash is strictly better than Freedom Unlimited other than the sign up bonus. However at OPs spending levels, the $150 sign up bonus makes Chase Freedom a win in the short to medium term. For the extra 0.5% of the Citi card to make up for the sign up bonus requires $30000 worth of spending. At OPs spend rate, that is a fair number of years of credit card purchases. In the longer term view double cash will win. If OP likes to play games, could get Freedom Unlimited, spend the $500 to get the $150, put that Chase card in a drawer, and apply for Double Cash, but that isn't as simple.

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:40 am

OP here. I definitely want to keep things simple and not play games, I'm not into churning. My main reason for possibly getting another card is that the Amex isn't worth the rewards given my spending levels and my Quicksilver is plenty good for my needs and its cash back, but having only one card isn't a great idea, IMHO. Ideally I'd just have the Quicksilver and be done with it. I dislike travel, so I have no interest in travel rewards / airline miles / etc. However, if I stop using my Amex (oldest account by far and half my current available credit), eventually it'd get closed and that would heavily affect my credit score, which currently is around 790-810 depending on the particular score.

Given my desire for simplicity, the Chase Freedom Unlimited was appealing for a few reasons. It's basically identical to my Quicksilver so I could use either without having to think about which one might be better for a given purchase, letting me just split my usage and get a check or direct deposit of rewards annually from both without any further thought. Also I'd have a backup card (rather than just the QS) in case one has problems, especially one that's not Amex since Amex is more limited in who takes it, plus the $150 that Da5id correctly points out would take my spending level a long time for a 0.5% cash back difference to match. Finally, as I mentioned, I have a business relationship with Chase via my car loan, so that may help me in some small way, as well as not introducing yet another financial instituion into the mix. (I'm finally in the middle of leaving Wells Fargo for BECU and may even leave Ally Savings and just use the BECU savings I had to open since the 1% isn't that helpful given how much I keep there.)

I did mention the eventual possibility of a house (doubtful though since I'd probably never find one that I liked and that was affordable), which is really my only reason for wanting to keep a really high credit score. My score is what allowed me to get my car loan at 0.9%.

mcraska

Post by mcraska » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:31 pm

I just opened the Chase Sapphire Reserved card and it gives you 3x points on all Travel and Restaurant expenses forever, and 1x points on everything else. If you redeem points for travel they are worth 50% more e.g. you have 10,000 points that nets you $100 in cash back but $150 on travel (flights, hotels, rental cars). You also get access to all Priority Pass which gets you into all sorts of air port lounges etc. Tons of other benefits I won't bore you with on here.

The fee is high at $495 but you get a $300 dollar credit towards travel purchases so that makes it $195. It's the best rewards travel card I've seen to date and they are offering up to 100,000 points if you spend $4k in first 3 months. That's basically $1500 in travel for signing up!

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:48 pm

mcraska wrote:I just opened the Chase Sapphire Reserved card and it gives you 3x points on all Travel and Restaurant expenses forever, and 1x points on everything else. If you redeem points for travel they are worth 50% more e.g. you have 10,000 points that nets you $100 in cash back but $150 on travel (flights, hotels, rental cars). You also get access to all Priority Pass which gets you into all sorts of air port lounges etc. Tons of other benefits I won't bore you with on here.

The fee is high at $495 but you get a $300 dollar credit towards travel purchases so that makes it $195. It's the best rewards travel card I've seen to date and they are offering up to 100,000 points if you spend $4k in first 3 months. That's basically $1500 in travel for signing up!

If you read the thread through, not the card for OP at all... BTW the 100K points is on its way out, no longer available on the web, and only available for a few more days in branches.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 12:55 pm

You want things simple.....check
You want as much cash rewards as possible.....check
You want a bonus for applying.....check

I think you want to apply for the Fidelity 2% card. I have one. Without looking it up, I believe it was $100 for some amount of spending. 2% back and that can easily be used by directing it to be a statement credit.

Throw all your other cards in the sock drawer. Oh, on the Citi double cash rollback....I just bought a washer and dryer and Citi sent me an email telling me that I should register these for the rollback. I did but they were on sale at Sears and I doubt they'll be cheaper in the 60 day time period.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:07 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:You want things simple.....check
You want as much cash rewards as possible.....check
You want a bonus for applying.....check

I think you want to apply for the Fidelity 2% card. I have one. Without looking it up, I believe it was $100 for some amount of spending. 2% back and that can easily be used by directing it to be a statement credit.

Throw all your other cards in the sock drawer. Oh, on the Citi double cash rollback....I just bought a washer and dryer and Citi sent me an email telling me that I should register these for the rollback. I did but they were on sale at Sears and I doubt they'll be cheaper in the 60 day time period.

I don't have any Fidelity accounts (I use Wells FargoBECU for checking, Ally for savings (maybe even moving savings to BECU), and Vanguard for investing), so I can't get the Fidelity card, as opening a new bank account just to get a credit card defeats my principle of simplicity. :)

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:12 pm

If you use your card extensively (for most of your day-to-day spending, monthly bills, etc), you should have a second card in case one gets compromised. My Fidelity card was compromised not long ago. Fortunately they caught it promptly and notified me, so I wasn't out any money, but if I hadn't had a second card with a different provider, i would have been quite inconvenienced until my replacement card arrived.
Anybody know why there's a 20-pound frozen turkey up in the light grid?

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:17 pm

oldcomputerguy wrote:If you use your card extensively (for most of your day-to-day spending, monthly bills, etc), you should have a second card in case one gets compromised. My Fidelity card was compromised not long ago. Fortunately they caught it promptly and notified me, so I wasn't out any money, but if I hadn't had a second card with a different provider, i would have been quite inconvenienced until my replacement card arrived.

Yeah, I definitely agree about having a second card (and preferably no more). I mentioned earlier in the thread how my Visa wasn't working at a gas station a few days ago so my Amex saved me. I just don't care for Amex due to limited acceptance and my BCE's rewards suck for me due to my spending patterns. :P

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Calygos wrote:
oldcomputerguy wrote:If you use your card extensively (for most of your day-to-day spending, monthly bills, etc), you should have a second card in case one gets compromised. My Fidelity card was compromised not long ago. Fortunately they caught it promptly and notified me, so I wasn't out any money, but if I hadn't had a second card with a different provider, i would have been quite inconvenienced until my replacement card arrived.

Yeah, I definitely agree about having a second card (and preferably no more). I mentioned earlier in the thread how my Visa wasn't working at a gas station a few days ago so my Amex saved me. I just don't care for Amex due to limited acceptance and my BCE's rewards suck for me due to my spending patterns. :P

Don't know if you are married/have significant other, but if so having a card not in common is good. You say you don't travel much, but in any case it is nice if one of you losing your wallet doesn't kill all cards for both of you.

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Thu Mar 09, 2017 1:44 pm

Da5id wrote:
Calygos wrote:

Don't know if you are married/have significant other, but if so having a card not in common is good. You say you don't travel much, but in any case it is nice if one of you losing your wallet doesn't kill all cards for both of you.

That's a good point but I am single now and intend to stay that way. Last year, though, I had my girlfriend as an authorized user on my Quicksilver, which worked fine, but before that, I'd lost the card and had to get a replacement, which would have affected her, too, so certainly a good thing to keep in mind. :thumbsup

Calygos

Post by Calygos » Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:22 pm

Well, so much for that idea, I'm done with Chase. Their phone support is atrocious.

I'm even going to reconsider paying off my loan early just to get away from them, that's how irritated I am with them right now.