GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
codedude
Posts: 28
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:15 pm

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by codedude » Sun May 27, 2018 9:05 pm

With Geico for 20 years. I check once in 3-4 years, no one comes close on premiums (in Virginia) for my situation. One glass vandalization 15 years ago, handled efficiently.

randomguy
Posts: 6007
Joined: Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:00 am

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by randomguy » Sun May 27, 2018 9:56 pm

perl wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:06 pm
LOL. On the other hand, I am still with Liberty for home insurance: I researched Geico's underwriter and did not like it one bit. I cannot describe Liberty in allowed words either: yearly premium in 2004 was $400; yearly premium in 2017, $1,100. In a deflationary environment... yeah, right. I am paying for someone else's hurricanes while I have had no claims.
Paying for other people's hurricanes by pooling risk is the entire point of insurance.
Yeah but I only want to be in a pool with people that are lower risk than me.Those people who live in hurricane zones belong in their own pool.:)

UALflyer
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 am

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by UALflyer » Mon May 28, 2018 9:28 am

jharkin wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 4:36 pm
UALflyer wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 11:37 am
RickBoglehead wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 6:39 am
Price is nice, but SERVICE is important. Price USAA (if you qualify) and AMICA to compare. We've been with AMICA for nearly 40 years and their service cannot be beat.
I've experienced a couple of auto claims with AMICA and was rather disappointed. In one case in particular, their handling of the claim was so bad that I had to get our state involved. Our state tends to be very reluctant to do anything about the auto insurance complaints, but in that particular case AMICA's conduct was so egregious that they did actually get involved.

That's odd. I have nothing but stellar service with Amica. Hit and run driver totaled my brand new car years ago and they paid no questions asked. Tree fell on my garage destroying the roof and severely damaging the cars inside and they paid no question asks. Didn't raise my premium a dime in either case.

I also pay less than a grand /yr total for full boat max liability/collision/comp on 2 late model cars ('14 and '17) and $300 for $2MM umbrella. Doubt GEICO can beat that by much...
I do completely agree that my sample size with Amica is tiny and that the overall reviews for Amica tend to be very good. In general, however, most people have no idea how to evaluate claims handling, so a ton of complaints and praises out there are not particularly helpful.

Why would paying a hit and run claim with "no questions asked" qualify as praiseworthy? Assuming that you have uninsured/underinsured coverage, every insurance company on the planet would pay with "no questions asked" (how much they'd pay and what they'd pay for is a different question). In a number of states, insurance companies are statutorily prohibited from raising your rates for these types of claims as well.

With auto insurance, what tends to distinguish some of the better insurance companies is whether they use OEM vs. aftermarket parts (the best carriers contractually guarantee OEM parts), how easily they authorize rental cars (many insurance companies won't authorize a rental car if yours is not yet in the body shop and is "drivable" even when it has sustained severe damage and cannot be driven safely), how generous they are with rental payments (many insurance carriers look solely at the size of the car and ignore everything else), how generous they are in compensating you for bodily injuries, how well they pay if the vehicle is totaled (the best carriers offer agreed value policies, where the value is agreed upon up front, such that if the vehicle is totaled, they simply cut you a check for that entire amount with no back and forth negotiations), etc... Most people just don't know any of this and, even when they do, do not have enough experience to know how well a carrier is treating them.

UALflyer
Posts: 227
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:42 am

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by UALflyer » Tue May 29, 2018 8:04 am

rgs92 wrote:
Sat May 26, 2018 7:29 pm
So has anyone had claim service from GEICO (or State Farm or Progressive) and was it OK? Thanks.
What's your definition of "ok"? For instance, one of the posters responded to your question above and mentioned that he had a windshield replacement claim with GEICO, which was not an issue.

If you were to follow up and ask about the quality of the windshield, you would have most likely found out that an aftermarket windshield was used, as GEICO (and most other regular auto insurance carriers, particularly if the car is not virtually brand new) virtually never pays for OEM windshields. Most other regular auto insurance carriers take the same position. If you are okay with these types of repairs, then there's no issue. If, on the other hand, you are not, because, for instance, you drive a higher end car, then you need to be prepared to pay the difference out of pocket, or you need one of the few higher end carriers that contractually guarantees OEM replacement parts.

In general, you won't come across horror stories where any of the large national players just refuse to cover claims, or drag out the auto repair claims process, etc... They all tend to accept claims 24/7/365 (which is a largely psychological benefit, as it makes you feel like your insurance company is on top of things. In reality, the claims are taken by the call center employees, whose job is to essentially do data entry. The actual coverage decisions are handled by adjusters, and adjusters generally work regular hours. So, whether an auto claim gets reported at 11pm on Saturday night or at 9am on Monday morning, an adjuster will get assigned to it around the same time), assess the damage quickly, and issue payments promptly. On the auto side, the differences come into play with some of the issues that I mentioned in the preceding post, and can amount to rather large differences in payouts.

ND Fan 1
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:29 pm

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by ND Fan 1 » Wed May 30, 2018 3:05 pm

I just compared USAA with AMICA for Home and Auto. Same coverage limits for both

USAA Auto cheaper by $364 annually and USAA Home cheaper by $480 annually. This for a 2 driver/2 car and roughly $215K house. I have been with USAA for 8 years, and haven't shopped around a ton, but haven't found anything that beats USAA at least for my situation. I might give GEICO a try. I just hate shopping for quotes and having to provide all my personal information or create a profile for them to then hound me to switch.

USAA Auto- $740 annually
AMICA Auto- $1104

USAA Home- $960
AMICA Home- $1440

UpperNwGuy
Posts: 712
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm
Location: Washington DC

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by UpperNwGuy » Wed May 30, 2018 3:28 pm

ND Fan 1 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:05 pm
I just compared USAA with AMICA for Home and Auto. Same coverage limits for both

USAA Auto cheaper by $364 annually and USAA Home cheaper by $480 annually. This for a 2 driver/2 car and roughly $215K house. I have been with USAA for 8 years, and haven't shopped around a ton, but haven't found anything that beats USAA at least for my situation. I might give GEICO a try. I just hate shopping for quotes and having to provide all my personal information or create a profile for them to then hound me to switch.

USAA Auto- $740 annually
AMICA Auto- $1104

USAA Home- $960
AMICA Home- $1440
What state are you in? I wonder if USAA beats AMICA in all states or only in some.

meebers
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Florida

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by meebers » Wed May 30, 2018 4:35 pm

Was comparison shopping yesterday for home/auto since I am coming up for renewal next month. I remarked that my 2007 GMC truck rate was only $300 less than my whole house? He replied in a most professional & kind manner and said "clients that are below age 25 or over 75 pay a higher rate". Yepp, I am off the high end. :shock:

meebers
Posts: 270
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:20 pm
Location: Florida

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by meebers » Wed May 30, 2018 5:02 pm

What is the approximate "discount" if you insure (bundle) home/auto/umbrella with the same company vrs many posters here going with different companies for each?

boglerdude
Posts: 597
Joined: Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:28 am
Contact:

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by boglerdude » Thu May 31, 2018 1:31 am

Ive been disappointed with bundling discounts and they greatly increase the complexity of comparison shopping

Note that usually you have to get the umbrella from the auto insurer. If you get a standalone umbrella you might want to get 1M underlying auto to make it less likely you'll need to call on that umbrella and get another legal team involved.

ND Fan 1
Posts: 287
Joined: Fri Oct 30, 2015 12:29 pm

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by ND Fan 1 » Thu May 31, 2018 3:01 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:28 pm
ND Fan 1 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:05 pm
I just compared USAA with AMICA for Home and Auto. Same coverage limits for both

USAA Auto cheaper by $364 annually and USAA Home cheaper by $480 annually. This for a 2 driver/2 car and roughly $215K house. I have been with USAA for 8 years, and haven't shopped around a ton, but haven't found anything that beats USAA at least for my situation. I might give GEICO a try. I just hate shopping for quotes and having to provide all my personal information or create a profile for them to then hound me to switch.

USAA Auto- $740 annually
AMICA Auto- $1104

USAA Home- $960
AMICA Home- $1440
What state are you in? I wonder if USAA beats AMICA in all states or only in some.
Indiana. I also checked out Progressive which wasn't close to USAA either.

526297
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Jun 10, 2018 4:03 pm

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by 526297 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:10 am

Same here. Was with progressive and Geico was half the price. We switched. No rate change after renewal. My husband did hit a pole though and they were cheap about fixing the car. They wanted to use after market and off brand parts. We agreed because in the end it doesn't matter to us. Car looks fine. But this is one way they save money.

BUBear29
Posts: 152
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2015 4:20 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by BUBear29 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:36 pm

Was with USAA for auto and jewelry and decided to compare. Geico was 59% less on auto. Still is.

Only thing USAA insures for me now is my wife’s engagement ring for $500 a year.

I do use USAA for banking and credit card (2.5% cash back card). Recently switched from Chase. Will see how that goes.
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.

hambone
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:42 am

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by hambone » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:21 pm

UpperNwGuy wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:28 pm
ND Fan 1 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:05 pm
I just compared USAA with AMICA for Home and Auto. Same coverage limits for both

USAA Auto cheaper by $364 annually and USAA Home cheaper by $480 annually. This for a 2 driver/2 car and roughly $215K house. I have been with USAA for 8 years, and haven't shopped around a ton, but haven't found anything that beats USAA at least for my situation. I might give GEICO a try. I just hate shopping for quotes and having to provide all my personal information or create a profile for them to then hound me to switch.

USAA Auto- $740 annually
AMICA Auto- $1104

USAA Home- $960
AMICA Home- $1440
What state are you in? I wonder if USAA beats AMICA in all states or only in some.
It is all state dependent. Each state has it's own rules for how insurance companies are able to set rates. In some instances the state has authority to deny rate increases and others allow whatever the insurance companies submit. USAA used to be much cheaper for me but then I believe they introduced rate groups (military service vs non) and that sky rocketed my premium.

Tico_75
Posts: 145
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:36 pm

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by Tico_75 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 9:48 pm

GEICO decimated everyone's rates for us, only esurace came close. We'd had a fender bender (not at fault) and they did great. They never increased our rates after teaser periods.

Tip. Try Billsharks first.
"Check ID" is my actual signature.

HereToLearn
Posts: 83
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 5:53 pm

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by HereToLearn » Wed Jun 20, 2018 10:40 pm

boglerdude wrote:
Thu May 31, 2018 1:31 am

Note that usually you have to get the umbrella from the auto insurer. If you get a standalone umbrella you might want to get 1M underlying auto to make it less likely you'll need to call on that umbrella and get another legal team involved.
I have my auto insurance with GEICO and my umbrella with my Chubb homeowner insurance. I had GEICO quote the umbrella, but they were far more expensive than Chubb, which was surprising as Chubb is not a low cost carrier.

I moved to GEICO when the teenagers started driving. USAA quote was much higher than GEICO, so I wonder if the price differences vary by location. Fortunately I have not filed a claim with GEICO so cannot comment on service.

rgs92
Posts: 2071
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by rgs92 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:08 am

Thank you UALflyer, that's exactly what I was concerned about concerning claims. If I have a claim, I don't wan't cheap parts or cheap repair shops. I want to have the dealership repair things (or a dealer-recommended body shop).

So what insurance company does this?

brokendirtdart
Posts: 123
Joined: Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:27 pm
Location: Circus watching and avoiding horses in Atropia

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by brokendirtdart » Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:10 am

rgs92 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:08 am
Thank you UALflyer, that's exactly what I was concerned about concerning claims. If I have a claim, I don't wan't cheap parts or cheap repair shops. I want to have the dealership repair things (or a dealer-recommended body shop).

So what insurance company does this?
Reference the comment on windshield claims. In about a half dozen+ windshield claims, USAA has exclusively used Safelite to replace or repair my windshield. These were on simple vehicles in NC, AK, MT, and TX.

mouses
Posts: 3517
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by mouses » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:16 am

meebers wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 5:02 pm
What is the approximate "discount" if you insure (bundle) home/auto/umbrella with the same company vrs many posters here going with different companies for each?
I've had Amica auto and umbrella for years. I've had homeowners from whatever company my independent agent could dig up, as companies do not like to write policies for homes near the water, at least in this area. Amica started writing homeowners here, so I switched. I saved about $600, no joke, on the premium, and got another $200 off the auto/umbrella on the bundled policy discount.

mouses
Posts: 3517
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by mouses » Thu Jun 21, 2018 10:19 am

hambone wrote:
Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:21 pm
UpperNwGuy wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:28 pm
ND Fan 1 wrote:
Wed May 30, 2018 3:05 pm
I just compared USAA with AMICA for Home and Auto. Same coverage limits for both

USAA Auto cheaper by $364 annually and USAA Home cheaper by $480 annually. This for a 2 driver/2 car and roughly $215K house. I have been with USAA for 8 years, and haven't shopped around a ton, but haven't found anything that beats USAA at least for my situation. I might give GEICO a try. I just hate shopping for quotes and having to provide all my personal information or create a profile for them to then hound me to switch.

USAA Auto- $740 annually
AMICA Auto- $1104

USAA Home- $960
AMICA Home- $1440
What state are you in? I wonder if USAA beats AMICA in all states or only in some.
It is all state dependent. Each state has it's own rules for how insurance companies are able to set rates. In some instances the state has authority to deny rate increases and others allow whatever the insurance companies submit. USAA used to be much cheaper for me but then I believe they introduced rate groups (military service vs non) and that sky rocketed my premium.
Be sure you're comparing apples with apples. AMICA has two quotes, depending on dividend status. If you chose to get a dividend, your initial premium will be high but once the dividend is credited, the total will be substantially lowered.

seawolf21
Posts: 226
Joined: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:33 am

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by seawolf21 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:13 am

rgs92 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:08 am
Thank you UALflyer, that's exactly what I was concerned about concerning claims. If I have a claim, I don't wan't cheap parts or cheap repair shops. I want to have the dealership repair things (or a dealer-recommended body shop).

So what insurance company does this?
But you are paying higher premiums to begin with; you get what you pay for. If you are a safe driver, no point paying hundreds more in premiums year after year after year (or decades) for that one day when you may have an claim just so you get OEM parts. I would think a BH would take the premiums saved and invested it instead.

neilpilot
Posts: 1738
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by neilpilot » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:33 am

seawolf21 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:13 am
rgs92 wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:08 am
Thank you UALflyer, that's exactly what I was concerned about concerning claims. If I have a claim, I don't wan't cheap parts or cheap repair shops. I want to have the dealership repair things (or a dealer-recommended body shop).

So what insurance company does this?
But you are paying higher premiums to begin with; you get what you pay for. If you are a safe driver, no point paying hundreds more in premiums year after year after year (or decades) for that one day when you may have an claim just so you get OEM parts. I would think a BH would take the premiums saved and invested it instead.
+1
Also if and when you have a collision claim you still have the option of repairing with OEM parts and paying the difference. You would still likely comeout ahead, assuming you don't have frequent collision claims. :D

Creditcardguy
Posts: 30
Joined: Fri May 25, 2018 7:23 am

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by Creditcardguy » Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:59 am

Thanks to this thread I checked with Geiko on my 3 cars. Been with State Farm for several years. 6 months heavy coverage was $2500. Geiko, same coverage, $1100! :shock:

Thanks for the thread, got my Geico card yesterday. :beer

rgs92
Posts: 2071
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by rgs92 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:06 pm

Thanks for that perspective seawolf. Yep, the amount I've had in claims over 20 years is minuscule. I guess I should feel like I'm self-insuring for any repairs I need and just consider insurance for any ridiculous liability.

investor4life
Posts: 108
Joined: Fri Oct 08, 2010 9:45 am

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by investor4life » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:19 pm

I haven't shopped for home/auto/umbrella in years -- my bad :^(
I've been with State Farm for many years. But this thread has me motivated to look at Amica, Geico, and USAA.

Question: Do these companies run a credit check when one requests a quote online? Soft or hard pull? My reports are all frozen.

Thanks!

quizzer25
Posts: 113
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:28 am

Re: GEICO auto rates vs. USAA: too good to be true?

Post by quizzer25 » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:31 pm

investor4life wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:19 pm
I haven't shopped for home/auto/umbrella in years -- my bad :^(
I've been with State Farm for many years. But this thread has me motivated to look at Amica, Geico, and USAA.

Question: Do these companies run a credit check when one requests a quote online? Soft or hard pull? My reports are all frozen.

Thanks!
No hard credit check.

Post Reply