How much do you spend on food in a year?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
VictoriaF

Re: How much do you spend on food in a year?

Post by VictoriaF » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:48 am

JimD7 wrote:People that claim cooking for themselves is too much trouble.

What did they do back in the olden days?

Guess the wife cooked for husbands, or they starved.
Why should people who have options today worry about people in the past who did not have these options?

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

soccerrules

Post by soccerrules » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:17 am

Off Mint tracking for the last 12 months. 2 adults, 1 teenager and a temporary college aged live-in (buys own food usually). 2 out of town college students around part of the time (w/e and summers). We tend to eat at home during the week most of the time and then order in or eat out on weekends for dinners, some lunches when we are out and about. Many times this includes all 5 and a +1 or +2 (girlfriend, friend)

Groceries $15K (includes all personal care, household items, cleaning supplies)
Restaurants $ 4.6K (wife/I dinner, family of 5 +1 or 2, special occasions)
Fast Food $ 3.5K (weekends mainly, some just to tired,busy to fix at home)

If you dump in Work Lunches, Kids Lunches, Snacks (coffee, soda's) etc -- we averaged $2,200 a month. Higher than most and room for improvement, but we are OK with it.
Don't let your outflow exceed your income or your upkeep will be your downfall.

N10sive

Post by N10sive » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:08 pm

JimD7 wrote:People that claim cooking for themselves is too much trouble.

What did they do back in the olden days?

Guess the wife cooked for husbands, or they starved.
I am not sure in what context this is. Although it is not a great excuse it is a valid one. Generations change, society changes, etc. A lot of wives did cook for the family and did household chores etc. Men did the work. Food wasn't as readily available as it is now. Depending on where you live or what field you are in sometimes a two-income house is needed etc. Chipotle wasn't around the block. A 5 dollar footlong sub that feeds two people is cheaper usually than making ones own meal(and also faster).

I used to work 100-110 hour weeks plus a 1 hour commute, food was the last thing I cared about making for myself. Sometimes I slept at work. Take out was easy. I was then a terrible cook, slicing veggies, etc took me hours compared to a skilled chef. Of course you can cook easier meals. I meal prep most of my meals now, but I also work 40 hours or less a week.

BeerTooth

Post by BeerTooth » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:56 pm

Just checked my YNAB report for the last year,

$10,000 on groceries
$2,000 on restaurants

Family of five (kids 7/4/1 year old)

My goal is to get it down closer to $9,000 next year. Big things to get right:
meal planning for the week, cut out the mid-week "re-stock" trip
The cheapest grocery store in the area (Market Basket) is 20-30% cheaper than others (Shaws and Hannaford) for the exact.same.food. It really is a wonder that anyone shops there.
Buy generic/store brand.
Buy the store-circular loss leaders. Buy in bulk and freeze.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:11 pm

5k Groceries (add 2k for wine purchases if you want)
4-6k Dining out

Family of 2--one retired; one semi-retired

DS at college not included. If I had to guess, I'd say 3-4k for him but that may be low.

Nearly A Moose

Post by Nearly A Moose » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:44 pm

$30,000. Two parents, a toddler, a baby. Includes grocery store, restaurants, alcohol, infant formula, toddler food packets, dinnner parties we host, and non-food incidentals purchased at the grocery store.

Edit: also probably includes a few thousand in reimbursed meals due to work travel or client entertaining.
Pardon typos, I'm probably using my fat thumbs on a tiny phone.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:55 pm

Family of five. All kids five and under.

~ $6000/yr (90% Aldi 10% Local Grocer)

Eating out not sure. Occasional pizza and fast food. No restaurants :( I need a date with the wife!
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

rgs92

Post by rgs92 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:56 pm

Maybe it's a regional thing, but every week my mainstream supermarket trips here in the NY metro area (Shoprite, Wegmans, etc.) easily add up to $400+.
We don't eat meat, but things like fresh fruits (berries and such) and veggies and fresh fish and good whole grain breads and things and a few paper goods add up. There's very little processed or frozen foods.

So for just my wife and me, it's like $15K to $20K a year easily. (Thank goodness for those credit card rebates.)

I guess if I went to Costco or something and did a lot of optimizing or bought huge quantities and prepared things ahead of time or soaked beans or whatever I could save money, but I don't have the patience for that. Maybe if I ate burgers and fries and chips things would be cheaper, but that kind of stuff is awful for me.

ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:57 pm

My YNAB report shows we spent $7450 on groceries in 2016 for the 2 of us. That is just groceries, no alcohol, no pet products, no household. Just food.
We spent $2115 eating out.

For 2015 we spent $7427 on just groceries and $2200 eating out

For 2014 we spent $6856 on groceries and $1959 eating out

We are both retired. We generally eat out 2-3 times a month.

Lynette

Post by Lynette » Tue Mar 07, 2017 3:29 pm

Last edited by Lynette on Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

simmias

Post by simmias » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:37 pm

For those who are trying to reduce their food spending, learning how to cook a variety of low-cost, high-impact meals is key. I gravitate toward ones where the leftovers freeze and reheat well.

My favorite website for this is www.budgetbytes.com.

Tons of recipes, all with costs broken down, and she handholds you through the cooking and prep for each with great explanations and pictures.

Anyone can get better at cooking, but you never will if you don't try. And anyone concerned with their health should be cooking as many meals as possible, IMO.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:38 pm

We are a family of five (two adults and 9, 10 and 13 year old children) and have a $500 a month food budget, we use a little less than that most months. Dining comes out of the general budget and we probably spend about $800 a year on general dining out which is almost always just my wife and I. Occasionally we'll spend $200 - $300 on dinner at a super nice restaurant but that's more experience than food budget.

researcher

Post by researcher » Tue Mar 07, 2017 4:49 pm

rgs92 wrote:Maybe it's a regional thing, but every week my mainstream supermarket trips here in the NY metro area (Shoprite, Wegmans, etc.) easily add up to $400+.
We don't eat meat...
So for just my wife and me, it's like $15K to $20K a year easily
It would be great if you posted a receipt from your latest grocery trip.
I would love to see what a family of 2, who don't eat meat, spend $400+ on every week.

I have a family of 4 (two small kids) and have spent as little as $50 during a regular weekly grocery visit.
However, we do make several trips/year to a warehouse store, and certainly don't eat as healthy as you.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:10 pm

researcher wrote:
rgs92 wrote:Maybe it's a regional thing, but every week my mainstream supermarket trips here in the NY metro area (Shoprite, Wegmans, etc.) easily add up to $400+.
We don't eat meat...
So for just my wife and me, it's like $15K to $20K a year easily
It would be great if you posted a receipt from your latest grocery trip.
I would love to see what a family of 2, who don't eat meat, spend $400+ on every week.

I have a family of 4 (two small kids) and have spent as little as $50 during a regular weekly grocery visit.
However, we do make several trips/year to a warehouse store, and certainly don't eat as healthy as you.
Would love to see the same thing. There are certainly regional differences, but they aren't that extreme. We've lived in Southern California, Houston, Arizona, and now Utah, and the variance in food cost has been pretty minimal; once you figure out where to shop. I've also been to NYC (and pretty much every major metro area) numerous times for work, and as one who doesn't eat out, the first thing I do is head to the grocery store to fill my little hotel room fridge. There is certainly a NYC cost, but I am big guy, don't eat any processed food and I am very easily able to do it <$100 for a week. I can't imagine what is being purchased that would equal $400/wk for two people.

I mean, you can order 3 prepared vegan meals a day for two people, through purple carrot (a program that apparently is sponsored by Tom Brady) for $78/week http://fortune.com/2017/03/07/tom-brady-meal-kit-plan/. How does a couple spend 5x that?
Last edited by stoptothink on Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 5:23 pm

We blow through about $19k for three of us, including groceries and eating out. Unlike others here, I don't take pride in being frugal when it comes to food.

Why? Because we enjoy eating good food, don't really spend that much money on anything else, and we can afford it. As long as you meet this same criteria, does it really matter what your numbers are?

Jackson12

Post by Jackson12 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:10 pm

I happened to be behind a woman in the grocery store today who was buying at at least 4-5 times more groceries than me and her grocery bill was only a bit more than mine and she was shopping for a family of five.

I shop for a family of 2... occasionally 3 if an adult son drops by for dinner. Anyway, I looked at the woman's cart and it was full of frozen meals, junk food, and processed food...with very few vegetables or fruit. She also was purchasing lots of coke and soft drinks.

She says she "shops the specials". I try to do the same but I cook nearly every meal- and from scratch- with an emphasis on organic meats, fresh vegetables, no junk food or soda, etc

I do try to economize and often make inexpensive soups like black bean or lentil or stir fries which help stretch the budget .

I refuse to load up on the same types of food as the woman purchased today and yes, I do think it's unhealthy. She wasn't obese and maybe her kids burn off all the calories but I can't believe that type of diet is good for people.

On the other hand, maybe I need to up my learning curve and be more economical. But budgets are full of choices and we meet our goals for saving and retirement and live below our means.

Relaxing over a good home cooked meal gives us pleasure..Others might spend more on food because they're pressed for time and hate shopping and cooking. If the rest of their financial life works... I can't see the harm of spending significantly more on food than someone else- even if their families are the same size.
Last edited by Jackson12 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

casualflower

Post by casualflower » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:12 pm

Quickfoot wrote:We are a family of five (two adults and 9, 10 and 13 year old children) and have a $500 a month food budget, we use a little less than that most months.
Can you share your tips? I've got a family of 5 (my kids are about 3-4 years younger than yours) and I can't get under $1,000.

Thanks!

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:26 pm

Interesting the posts equating "good food" and healthy food with expensive food.

As someone that is relatively frugal in grocery shopping (and definitely less frugal in eating out), I can offer an observation between what I do and seeing what relatives do. They decide they want X for dinner with y and z as sides. It doesn't matter what x,y,z cost that day (they tend to not plan their meals). They go to the store and buy it. I plan my meals and if I don't, I tend to buy what is on sale. Yes, sometimes I want asparagus but if it is out of season/not on sale and $4.99 a pound and zucchini is 79 cents a pound, I go with the zucchini. Where I live (major city), meats/seafood/poultry are often 50% or more off on sale and probably 75% off compared to expensive stores like Whole Foods.

Some examples of prices I typically pay for commonly bought foods are $2/gallon for milk, .49/lb for chicken leg quarters, $3/lb for pork tenderloin, $6 /lb for T-bone steaks, $5/lb 20 ct (extra large) shrimp, $1.29 for 3 lb of onions, $6/lb for beef tenderloin and $1.50 for boneless/skinless chicken breasts.

I also think if you are a good cook, you can use less expensive ingredients and make delicious dishes. We commonly cook Mexican, Italian, Chinese, Indian and Moroccan food. We aren't culinary geniuses, but start with a recipe with good reviews and go from there. We also keep a well stocked pantry.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jsapiandante

Post by jsapiandante » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:28 pm

We spend $400/month on groceries and about $200/month on restaurants for a family of two. We cook lunch and dinner everyday and eat cereal or oatmeal in the morning. We buy our meats (beef, pork, chicken thighs, salmon, shrimp) in bulk at Costco once a month and vacuum seal them all separately in portions so we aren't thawing large portions when we need to cook. We buy groceries from Asian markets since they're much cheaper. When we eat out, me and my wife tend to share our meals. We don't like fine dining much at all unless it's a special occasion. I'm anxious to see how much our expenses on these things will change once we have our kid in the picture (currently, my wife is 3 months pregnant with our first child).

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:34 pm

Loik098 wrote:Unlike others here, I don't take pride in being frugal when it comes to food.
No pride here, just more what I can afford.
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:48 pm

I was in the food store a couple of weeks ago, and the lady behind me was buying a large bag of refrigerated dog food containing meat and vegetables. Nice. But then she was also buying a bunch of Lunchables for her kids. The dog eats better than her kids.

pmj78910

Post by pmj78910 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 6:56 pm

Family of 4. According to Personal Capital, we spent $10,140 on groceries and $9,409 on dining out in 2016.

wrl

Post by wrl » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:26 pm

I track everything with Quicken. We spent $21k on groceries (includes non-food items such as napkins, paper towel, soap etc), and $6k eating out. We spend very little on beer/wine, are a family of 5 (with 2 teenage boys) and shop mostly organic, fresh foods.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 8:48 pm

Can you share your tips? I've got a family of 5 (my kids are about 3-4 years younger than yours) and I can't get under $1,000.

Thanks!
#1 choose what you think is reasonable for your food budget and get a prepaid debit card or setup a checking account JUST for groceries and transfer money into it each pay day. I transfer money to our grocery account weekly and my wife gets to keep any money that's left over at the end of the week (the first part made sure our groceries stayed on budget and grocery spend has decreased by about $150 a month since she got to keep the extra money).

#2 Go to the gym and exercise routinely, people that exercise routinely tend to eat healthier and start thinking about food as "this will take X minutes of hard exercise to burn off." I'm an ultra endurance athlete, burn 1400+ calories in an hour and I still pass on food frequently either because it isn't healthy or it isn't worth it. If you are the one making food decisions your family will inherit your healthier choices.

#3 Related to #2 eliminate unhealthy foods and snacks, people that buy things like chips, cookies, ice cream and soda tend to spend a lot more money on them than they think. We tell the kids they can have as much fruit / veggies as they want but we carefully limit the less healthy snacks. Science has shown we have essentially NO will power, the best way to improve diet is to prevent yourself from making bad decisions by not having the food in the first place.

#4 Don't go organic for everything, organic is actually often worse for the environment because it's less efficient and requires more land / resources, many "natural" pesticides aren't better for the environment. Go organic when it makes sense but be smart about it, you usually get most the bang by going for reduced ingredient foods. Fruits and veggies I'll go organic but not if it's more than 75% more.

#4 Don't run all around town but know your stores and what tends to have good prices, we have Winco, Fred Meyer, Albertsons, Walmart (yuck), Co-ops, Trader Joes, and Whole Foods. Winco is great for the necessities but Fred Meyer is great for organic, their "Simply Organic" brand is surprisingly affordable and their produce tends to be better.

pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:11 pm

Quickfoot wrote:Science has shown we have essentially NO will power
I knew it wasn't my fault! :twisted:

TallBoy29er

Post by TallBoy29er » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:15 pm

To answer the question, about $11 k in a year. Alcohol and restaurants are extra.

Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:18 pm

It literally isn't, to make behavioral change you have to eliminate the opportunity to make a bad decision. That's why dieting doesn't work if you still have unhealthy food in the house, and why balanced funds are often better choices (for nearly everyone). For example research found if there's ice cream and cookies in the house the vast majority of people will eat them (even people that are trying to eat healthy) but those same people wont make a special trip to the store to buy ice cream and cookies to eat so the time to exercise will power is in the purchasing, not consumption phase.

kolea

Post by kolea » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:29 pm

Total spend for grocery store + Costco + farmers' markets = $1000+/ month or over $12k a year. That includes alcohol. 2 people. Of course since it is Costco is also includes toilet paper and misc stuff.

I have no idea about restaurants. Less than $1k.

But we live in Hawaii where everything is more expensive, by 10-15%. We also grow a lot of food.
Kolea (pron. ko-lay-uh). Golden plover.

reriodan

Post by reriodan » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:33 pm

Two people:
Groceries: ~3500/yr
Eating out: ~300/yr

Pretty much eat whatever we want, don't really shop for best deals, but we do shop at Costco.

dumbbunny

Post by dumbbunny » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:15 pm

Wife and I only
Dining out $321
Groceries $2226
Vacation food $209
“It’s the curse of old men to realize that in the end we control nothing." "Homeland" episode, "Gerontion"

joeblow

Post by joeblow » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:53 am

Glad to see a few other "big" spenders on the board.

According to mint.com we spent ~$33K last year in the "Food & Dining" category.

I figured it was pretty high as we spend at least $200-500 per week at Costco and the grocery store (this includes all items such as lawn furniture, luggage and household items). Family of 4. Add into that alcohol, eating out maybe once a week and a month vacation in Hawaii...it adds up. We do eat mostly organic fruits and vegetables, and try to buy high quality meats (good steak at least once a week not counting leftovers). We enjoy cooking, have hardly any food waste and do not eat processed foods or fast foods at all; we also take our lunch (usually leftovers) to work/school daily.

Biggest difference I can tell is we rarely eat "fillers" such as beans, pasta and bread. Food is without a doubt one of our biggest expenses, but we wouldn't change anything at all. The benefits of healthy eating are paying dividends that cannot be measured. I am amazed how little some people spend...reminds me of my college days.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:03 am

stoptothink wrote: I mean, you can order 3 prepared vegan meals a day for two people, through purple carrot (a program that apparently is sponsored by Tom Brady) for $78/week http://fortune.com/2017/03/07/tom-brady-meal-kit-plan/. How does a couple spend 5x that?
By actually eating three meals a day every day at that price? I went over to sign up for that great deal and found out that it is indeed $78 a week but that only gets you three vegan meals a week, not every day. So a couple would spend 7x $78, not 5x.

:beer

ZeroWealth

Post by ZeroWealth » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:18 am

Really interesting question, thanks for asking this! I just took a look and it would seem we spent $11.5k last year on groceries and $4.8k on restaurants. My wife is GFDF (gluten-free/dairy-free) so we have to buy a lot of expensive alternatives, which definitely adds to the grocery bill.

More than anything though we tend to buy natural/local/sustainable brands, which also comes at a higher cost, but we feel better at the end of the day knowing we're doing business with a family-run enterprise rather than a bunch of suits.

Our restaurant bill is well... I suppose we could do a bit better, but as parents to a young son, we need our multiple date nights every month to stay sane. :D
"I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be." - Douglas Adams

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:18 am

Mr.BB wrote:This is the third year I have been tracking our expenses. What I have found is that we spend an average of $15,000 a year on food. About $11,000 a year on groceries and about $4,000 a year at restaurants. I think this is a lot, but I don't know how it compares to everyone else?
There is just two of us My wife is a great cook and like she says "we don't exactly eat sloppy joe every night." I know good healthy food (fish,etc) cost a little more and we really do try to buy what is on sale.

This $15,000 (avg) accounts for 25% of our yearly expenses. I am curious, what do most couples on this board spend on their groceries and eating out a year?
That is a lot. We used to spend very little, but spend much more now. More expensive groceries (hopefully better ones), much more eating out, and four more mouths to feed. We don't track it all that carefully but it's in the same ballpark as yours. However, we're 6 people.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:24 am

remomnyc wrote: When the kids go away during the summer, our grocery bill is less than half. We compensate by eating out a lot.
I love it!
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:29 am

I have already reported our food expenses for the last 5 years. I will add a twist, just for the practice. How has inflation changed our food spending in the last 16 years? We haven't changed our diets or restaurant practices very much, if at all.

GROCERIES.........2000 $4,025 2008 $5,299 2009 $5,627 2016 $6,085

RESTAURANTS.....2000 $2,411 2008 $2,297 2009 $2,636 2016 $3,533

Who will be the first one to answer this question? Why do you think our restaurant spending was down in 2008?
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

toptik

Post by toptik » Wed Mar 08, 2017 4:25 am

Family of 2: currently spending about 15k per year including dining out, which is a lot less than a few years ago. Lunch boxes save us lots of money, as well as trying to set a daily maximum for food expenses.

GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:01 am

Sheepdog wrote:I have already reported our food expenses for the last 5 years. I will add a twist, just for the practice. How has inflation changed our food spending in the last 16 years? We haven't changed our diets or restaurant practices very much, if at all.

GROCERIES.........2000 $4,025 2008 $5,299 2009 $5,627 2016 $6,085

RESTAURANTS.....2000 $2,411 2008 $2,297 2009 $2,636 2016 $3,533

Who will be the first one to answer this question? Why do you think our restaurant spending was down in 2008?
Less people were eating out because they couldn't afford it so restaurants were reducing their prices? OR Sheepdog was going to restaurants slightly less because the recession was making him nervous.

What's the answer? :happy

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Mar 08, 2017 8:15 am

MikeWillRetire wrote:I was in the food store a couple of weeks ago, and the lady behind me was buying a large bag of refrigerated dog food containing meat and vegetables. Nice. But then she was also buying a bunch of Lunchables for her kids. The dog eats better than her kids.
We spend a fair amount on our pets' food, but I don't think that they eat better than us. We have more variety :D
$22k groceries for 2 adults and 2 kids at college.
$16k in restaurants (capturing only part of what the kids spend while at school for restaurants). Includes a pricey vacation.
Okay, I get it; I won't be political or controversial. The Earth is flat.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:37 am

Pajamas wrote:
stoptothink wrote: I mean, you can order 3 prepared vegan meals a day for two people, through purple carrot (a program that apparently is sponsored by Tom Brady) for $78/week http://fortune.com/2017/03/07/tom-brady-meal-kit-plan/. How does a couple spend 5x that?
By actually eating three meals a day every day at that price? I went over to sign up for that great deal and found out that it is indeed $78 a week but that only gets you three vegan meals a week, not every day. So a couple would spend 7x $78, not 5x.

:beer
Ha ha, I didn't notice that. Should have probably investigated further. Still, I would be very interested to hear how a couple spends more ($100+ more) in the average week on groceries than my family of four does for an entire month, regardless of where they live. The idea that it is expensive to eat healthy is hogwash.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:44 am

simmias wrote:I'm single and in decent shape (daily exercise routine), and I spent just north of $2,000 on groceries last year with about $600 eating out in a MCOL city. The groceries number includes stuff like toiletries as well.

I'm in awe of some of these numbers.

I'm a big fan of making huge meals and freezing the leftovers for easy meals to keep me from the temptation of getting delivery or carryout.
Have you ever thought about getting a pressure canner? You can make your own stews, soups, gumbo, etc and can it. It comes out much better in quality than freezing.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:49 am

Quickfoot wrote:
It literally isn't, to make behavioral change you have to eliminate the opportunity to make a bad decision. That's why dieting doesn't work if you still have unhealthy food in the house, and why balanced funds are often better choices (for nearly everyone). For example research found if there's ice cream and cookies in the house the vast majority of people will eat them (even people that are trying to eat healthy) but those same people wont make a special trip to the store to buy ice cream and cookies to eat so the time to exercise will power is in the purchasing, not consumption phase.
This is a topic I have written extensively about. This is just one of many recent studies which alludes to this http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... lCode=hebc. You figure it would be common sense that the easiest way not to eat junk would to not be around it, but common sense ain't so common.

Tons of research has also shown that people tend to underestimate their intake to a greater degree while eating out than at home. And then there is this http://newsroom.heart.org/news/eating-i ... or-dieters. Our contemporary social norms which revolve around eating out and putting food as the focus of social interaction make it exceedingly difficult to be healthy - the "obesogenic environment"

If health is your #1 priority (it is for me, no judgement for those who feel differently), it's simply a mindset. Don't put yourself in situations where the junk is available, have most of your meals at home (or prepare them at home and bring them), etc. and it is quite easy.

Bustoff

Post by Bustoff » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:27 am

After joining Costco food spending increased.
But now we also shop at Aldi's so maybe it coming back down.
But then again we buy our seafood from Whole Paycheck.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:34 am

Bustoff wrote:After joining Costco food spending increased.
But now we also shop at Aldi's so maybe it coming back down.
But then again we buy our seafood from Whole Paycheck.
I buy a lot at Aldi. However, I have found they are trying to become more mainstream and my spending has gone up there. It used to be basics and now they have soy milk, almond milk, organics, proscuitto, etc. - things you would never have seen years ago there. I remember when it was very limited and the cashiers had to memorize the price of every item (even when other stores had scanners or put the price on products).

hoops777

Post by hoops777 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:55 pm

Very interesting numbers and what a range!Just goes to show how different people are and why it is so worthless to gauge your retirement expenses vs another person generally speaking.
K.I.S.S........so easy to say so difficult to do.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:29 pm

Mr.BB wrote:
livesoft wrote:Do your numbers include alcohol? How many people are eating and drinking all that money? Just two? Or is that a lot of dinner parties?

I think good healthy food is inexpensive because less people have touched it to get it to your table. I eat fish maybe 3 or 4 times a week.
We don't drink that much. A little more on vacation.
I am not sure how you spend $15K a year on groceries for two adults, especially if you don't drink! Does your wife buy other basics at the grocery store that are lumped in, such as pet food and supplies, pharmacy/beauty products, or other?

My husband and I spend about $7200 a year in groceries ($600 a month), and I am NOT frugal with grocery money. I shop at Whole foods multiple times a week; we buy plenty of wine and beer expensive extras like sushi, fancy cheeses, shrimp and steak, guacamole and pecan butter which costs an ungodly $15 for a small jar. I buy mostly organic produce and meat, and we eat way too much meat/fish which is not the cheapest way to eat. And my 6'3" 185 pound husband frequently eats double what I do (two salmon burgers for dinner, for example). I say all this only to give you some ammunition if your wife is claiming that a $1200 grocery bill a month is perfectly normal for the two of you.

That said, we eat out a lot more than you guys seem to. Our total food and dining spend is about $22K per year, so $14K is spent at restaurants. Much of that is on vacation when we eat out every meal for 4-5 days at a time (we travel maybe 3 full weeks a year). Also my husband grabs a sandwich or meal out for lunch most work days, and I eat breakfast at Starbucks an average of once a week. And I do like a happy hour on a patio one or two nights a week with friends. But even if we cut all that out I can't imagine our grocery bill doubling. It would just go up slightly ($150 a month?) to replace the average of 6 fast food meals a week we currently eat on the go.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:46 pm

GoldenFinch wrote:
Sheepdog wrote:

Less people were eating out because they couldn't afford it so restaurants were reducing their prices? OR Sheepdog was going to restaurants slightly less because the recession was making him nervous.

What's the answer? :happy
You have the right idea. 2008 was a tough time for me. For example, on just one day my savings lost a normal year's distribution for expenses because of the stock market. I was spending less for sure.
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:25 pm

Quickfoot wrote: It literally isn't, to make behavioral change you have to eliminate the opportunity to make a bad decision. That's why dieting doesn't work if you still have unhealthy food in the house, and why balanced funds are often better choices (for nearly everyone). For example research found if there's ice cream and cookies in the house the vast majority of people will eat them (even people that are trying to eat healthy) but those same people wont make a special trip to the store to buy ice cream and cookies to eat so the time to exercise will power is in the purchasing, not consumption phase.
I fully agree.
stoptothink wrote:Our contemporary social norms which revolve around eating out and putting food as the focus of social interaction make it exceedingly difficult to be healthy - the "obesogenic environment"
I've made a similar observation. Most modern social interactions are focused on food. And the food is provided not merely to satisfy people's hunger while they are engaged in a meaningful activity or discussion. There is an increasing need for a complex customized meal for every participant, and such a need can be met either at a restaurant with an extensive menu or at home where someone is willing to cater to restaurant-like requests.
stoptothink wrote:If health is your #1 priority (it is for me, no judgement for those who feel differently), it's simply a mindset. Don't put yourself in situations where the junk is available, have most of your meals at home (or prepare them at home and bring them), etc. and it is quite easy.
The problem is that your second statement conflicts with the first one. You ("you" meaning Quickfoot, stoptothink, VictoriaF, and other like-minded people) can have a health-focused minddset and completely isolate yourself from junk at your home and your office. But when you are interacting with others, all the malnutritious hell breaks loose. If you meet with friends at restaurants you are assaulted by simple carbs and complex chemicals, if you visit friends at their homes they serve mostly unhealthful meals, and if you invite people over they expect much more than vegetables, nuts and fruits.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:47 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
stoptothink wrote:If health is your #1 priority (it is for me, no judgement for those who feel differently), it's simply a mindset. Don't put yourself in situations where the junk is available, have most of your meals at home (or prepare them at home and bring them), etc. and it is quite easy.
The problem is that your second statement conflicts with the first one. You ("you" meaning Quickfoot, stoptothink, VictoriaF, and other like-minded people) can have a health-focused minddset and completely isolate yourself from junk at your home and your office. But when you are interacting with others, all the malnutritious hell breaks loose. If you meet with friends at restaurants you are assaulted by simple carbs and complex chemicals, if you visit friends at their homes they serve mostly unhealthful meals, and if you invite people over they expect much more than vegetables, nuts and fruits.

Victoria
We (wife and I - truthfully, this is due primarily to the wife) have an exceedingly active social life, we are almost never home, but our friends and family know that if the interaction includes junk food or involves going to a restaurant, we are very unlikely to come. So, this week we had dinner at a friend's home on Monday (they made a stoptothink friendly meal), yesterday we met two other families at a neighborhood park, and today we are meeting another family at a local museum. We have a huge extended family (30+ people) dinner every other Sunday, and either options which I will eat are provided (probably 9/10 times) or I am told ahead of time that I should probably bring my own food (which I almost always do anyways). Be the example and you will be shocked how your social network responds. My social norms aren't your social norms, because my social circle knows that my first priority is health. If that isn't really an option with the people you spend time with, well, maybe it is time to find other people to spend time with.

And again, if you truly do enjoy eating out and the restaurant experience (I simply don't, regardless of the health component), than this is moot, but I think you would be shocked how people respond if you make it really known that healthy is a priority. Some may say this is selfish,that I am forcing everybody else to change their plans or what they would normally do; but if this was the case, I'm sure my social calendar would be a lot less full. IMO, a lot of people are too afraid to rock the boat, even if rocking is for the good - I am not one of those people.

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:16 pm

stoptothink wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
We (wife and I - truthfully, this is due primarily to the wife) have an exceedingly active social life, we are almost never home, but our friends and family know that if the interaction includes junk food or involves going to a restaurant, we are very unlikely to come. So, this week we had dinner at a friend's home on Monday (they made a stoptothink friendly meal), yesterday we met two other families at a neighborhood park, and today we are meeting another family at a local museum. We have a huge extended family (30+ people) dinner every other Sunday, and either options which I will eat are provided (probably 9/10 times) or I am told ahead of time that I should probably bring my own food (which I almost always do anyways). Be the example and you will be shocked how your social network responds. My social norms aren't your social norms, because my social circle knows that my first priority is health. If that isn't really an option with the people you spend time with, well, maybe it is time to find other people to spend time with.

And again, if you truly do enjoy eating out and the restaurant experience (I simply don't, regardless of the health component), than this is moot, but I think you would be shocked how people respond if you make it really known that healthy is a priority. Some may say this is selfish,that I am forcing everybody else to change their plans or what they would normally do; but if this was the case, I'm sure my social calendar would be a lot less full. IMO, a lot of people are too afraid to rock the boat, even if rocking is for the good - I am not one of those people.
And what do your wife and particularly your children eat when interacting with others? Honest question..no judgment intended.