Capital One 360 $200 bonus (and now $300 checking bonus)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Mrxyz

Re: Capital One 360 $200 bonus

Post by Mrxyz »

So, can I sign up my kids using their SS# and if yes, then what happens when the 1099 comes in their names - do they pay taxes or are they don't make enough to be taxable. But then it was my money they used and so the taxes should be paid by me........or........

Update - likely cannot open account until they are 18 yr or older.
chw

Post by chw »

whodidntante wrote:I've posted a few times that I seek out new account bonuses. This is the latest one I did. A lot of the bonuses I earn have bill pay, direct deposit, or spending requirements. However this one pays $200 for a 10k deposit, so it's easy to complete. Read the terms.

https://www.capitalone.com/bank/strong200/

You can also find this same promo summarized elsewhere on the net, google it.
Thank you for the link! Rec'd a $400 promo a few months ago to open a checking accnt(took about 15 mins), and now $200 to open a MM account- took about 5 minutes because already have a linked bank account. Promo code was accepted, so far so good...
radnor

Post by radnor »

chw wrote:
whodidntante wrote:I've posted a few times that I seek out new account bonuses. This is the latest one I did. A lot of the bonuses I earn have bill pay, direct deposit, or spending requirements. However this one pays $200 for a 10k deposit, so it's easy to complete. Read the terms.

Thank you for the link! Rec'd a $400 promo a few months ago to open a checking accnt(took about 15 mins), and now $200 to open a MM account- took about 5 minutes because already have a linked bank account. Promo code was accepted, so far so good...
No OP, but I'd like to sign up for both the $400 Checking Account Bonus and the $200 Money Market Account Bonus.

On the checking account page, it says "To qualify for the bonus, you must be the primary account holder, and this has to be your first 360 Checking account (this includes former Electric Orange accounts, too). [...] This offer cannot be combined with any other Capital One Bank® new account opening offer."

On the money market page, it says "If you currently have or have had a Savings product with Capital One Bank, Capital One 360 or ING DIRECT before or are a Capital One Associate, you won’t be eligible for the bonus. [...] This offer cannot be combined with any other Capital One Bank or Capital One 360 new account opening offer, and is strictly non-transferable. Bonus offer is not valid for multiple accounts and is only available one per account."

So I'm confused as to whether I can actually do both of these. It sounds like you've done both, chw?
chw

Post by chw »

radnor wrote:
chw wrote:

No OP, but I'd like to sign up for both the $400 Checking Account Bonus and the $200 Money Market Account Bonus.

On the checking account page, it says "To qualify for the bonus, you must be the primary account holder, and this has to be your first 360 Checking account (this includes former Electric Orange accounts, too). [...] This offer cannot be combined with any other Capital One Bank® new account opening offer."

On the money market page, it says "If you currently have or have had a Savings product with Capital One Bank, Capital One 360 or ING DIRECT before or are a Capital One Associate, you won’t be eligible for the bonus. [...] This offer cannot be combined with any other Capital One Bank or Capital One 360 new account opening offer, and is strictly non-transferable. Bonus offer is not valid for multiple accounts and is only available one per account."

So I'm confused as to whether I can actually do both of these. It sounds like you've done both, chw?
I did the checking account offer 5 months ago, and opened the MM account today. I used the coupon code for the new account which was accepted. If for some reason it doesn't take, I'll just transfer out the qualifying deposit and close the account.
Loik098

Post by Loik098 »

radnor wrote: No OP, but I'd like to sign up for both the $400 Checking Account Bonus and the $200 Money Market Account Bonus.
To reiterate, the terms page for the $400 checking account offer states the following (it's a targeted offer):

"IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE AN EMAIL OR MAIL PIECE DIRECTLY FROM CAPITAL ONE 360 WITH THE ABOVE CODE, YOU ARE INELIGIBLE FOR THIS BONUS OFFER."
radnor

Post by radnor »

Loik098 wrote:
radnor wrote: No OP, but I'd like to sign up for both the $400 Checking Account Bonus and the $200 Money Market Account Bonus.
To reiterate, the terms page for the $400 checking account offer states the following (it's a targeted offer):

"IF YOU DID NOT RECEIVE AN EMAIL OR MAIL PIECE DIRECTLY FROM CAPITAL ONE 360 WITH THE ABOVE CODE, YOU ARE INELIGIBLE FOR THIS BONUS OFFER."
OK, I guess I'm not eligible...
But just out of curiosity, in theory, how would they actually know?
boglerdude

Post by boglerdude »

radnor wrote:just out of curiosity, in theory, how would they actually know?
Page says "We've got Boston covered" maybe they check your address?

https://www.capitalone.com/bonus400/

Has this worked for anyone who didnt get a mailing?
slbnoob

Post by slbnoob »

$200 posted but I'm now considering keeping this one open. I'd transferred 10k from Ally where I was also getting 1%, same as here. Might as well keep it to allow one more option to do ACH when needed. Any reason to keep this open?
Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 »

slbnoob wrote:$200 posted but I'm now considering keeping this one open. I'd transferred 10k from Ally where I was also getting 1%, same as here. Might as well keep it to allow one more option to do ACH when needed. Any reason to keep this open?
Capital One does not allow Pay On Death beneficiaries, only joint account holders. For that reason, I moved money back to Ally and closed the MMA.
85% Global Stock, 15% US Fixed Income
giesen5

Post by giesen5 »

slbnoob wrote:$200 posted but I'm now considering keeping this one open. I'd transferred 10k from Ally where I was also getting 1%, same as here. Might as well keep it to allow one more option to do ACH when needed. Any reason to keep this open?
I am in exactly the same situation. Plan was to open, get bonus and close. But, since I plan on opening more bank accounts and through research Capital One 360 seems to have the best success in counting for ACH, I'm keeping it open.

Plus, no fees. It is a keeper.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

I'm keeping mine too, but I don't have Ally either. Does Ally ever offer bonuses like other banks?
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?

Post by 2015 »

Not for me; why should I keep CapOne open paying 1% APY when Ally online savings is paying the same thing--my preference is to simplify everything and keep as few accounts open as possible. I got the bonus on Tuesday, transferred the $10K and $200 bonus all back to Ally yesterday and closed the account at the same time. All done online in one simple transaction.

Also collected my $250 checking account sign up offer at a Wells Fargo branch yesterday while simultaneously closing the account after keeping it open for only about 3 weeks. This was all a simple, easy way to make $450 with no hassle.
batpot

Post by batpot »

Just a thought...is it worth keeping multiple accounts at different institutions for protections from hackers?
Of course putting all of your money in the one that isn't hacked is the best option, but how can you know?
ND Fan 1

Post by ND Fan 1 »

boglerdude wrote:
radnor wrote:just out of curiosity, in theory, how would they actually know?
Page says "We've got Boston covered" maybe they check your address?

https://www.capitalone.com/bonus400/

Has this worked for anyone who didnt get a mailing?
This worked for both my wife and I. Did the 2 $250 direct deposits from our payroll and the bonus posted. This is our first Capital 360 checking account. I like there are no monthly fees to worry about, may keep open.
Thrifty Femme

Post by Thrifty Femme »

This offer has been extended to June 30.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

How fast did you get your $200? I sent in my 10k on 3/29. They placed a 10-day "hold" on the funds and I also don't see my bonus yet.
neilpilot

Post by neilpilot »

sunny_socal wrote:How fast did you get your $200? I sent in my 10k on 3/29. They placed a 10-day "hold" on the funds and I also don't see my bonus yet.
My funds were deposited on 2/15, and the $200 hit the account on 2/21. When you say you "sent in my 10k on 3/29", when were your funds actually credited to the account?
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

neilpilot wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:How fast did you get your $200? I sent in my 10k on 3/29. They placed a 10-day "hold" on the funds and I also don't see my bonus yet.
My funds were deposited on 2/15, and the $200 hit the account on 2/21. When you say you "sent in my 10k on 3/29", when were your funds actually credited to the account?
They were credited the next day - I even earned $0.55 interest already! But I cannot access the funds ("You have $0 available.")
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I tried to open this account yesterday but the code 200GROW was not working. A page of Capital One's web site states that offer is good until 30 June and provides this code, but when you fill out the application and enter the code it's not accepted. I called Capital One and a CSR told me that the offer is from 10 April to 30 June. This is inconsistent with what the site itself states. I hope they will reconcile it soon.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Same here. Sent 3/28 still waiting for bonus.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
batpot

Post by batpot »

Guess I got lucky...

Signed up March 30, not thinking about test deposit turn around time...
Test deposits didn't post until April 3 in Barlcays; I verified same day, and transfer to CapOne360 happened April 3 as well.
$200 posted today. :greedy
giesen5

Post by giesen5 »

Got bonus today. Deposits posted March 31.
boater07

Post by boater07 »

I was told it takes 6-8 weeks.
Just chatted with rep
giesen5

Post by giesen5 »

boater07 wrote:I was told it takes 6-8 weeks.
Just chatted with rep
Most everyone receives bonus within a week, lots of data points out there.
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

I'm gna jump on this tomorrow, hopefully I don't see too long of a delay. Would like to nab 2 bonuses before the deadline of June 30.
chw

Post by chw »

Rec'd my $200 bonus today, about 10 days after opening. This was also on top of a $400 targeted bonus to open a checking account in December.
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

I was pretty interested when I first saw this. I don't use a lot of bank bonuses because they often require direct deposits and/or higher balances than I normally keep. This one was nice and clean.

Unfortunately I have an old Cap One savings account from a deposit bonus years ago, so not eligible. Ah well.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

I have been avoiding bank bonuses because they seemed to require a lot of work. However, I have recently subscribed to Doctor of Credit's email list and received as a subscription bonus his short e-book on how to satisfy most common bank requirements and avoid fees.

The $200 CapitalOne bonus is now active and is well worth the effort.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Post by 2015 »

VictoriaF wrote:I have been avoiding bank bonuses because they seemed to require a lot of work. However, I have recently subscribed to Doctor of Credit's email list and received as a subscription bonus his short e-book on how to satisfy most common bank requirements and avoid fees.

Victoria
I've found the bank bonuses easier than the cc bonuses. I almost felt guilty for taking $250 from WFB after having the account open for less than 3 weeks and doing only 10 debits for 10 days by buying my daily $2 coffee. Same goes for CapOne, whose account I only had opened for 8 days! Here's another site I use for bank bonuses:

http://www.moneysmylife.com/category/bank-promotions/
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

2015 wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:I have been avoiding bank bonuses because they seemed to require a lot of work. However, I have recently subscribed to Doctor of Credit's email list and received as a subscription bonus his short e-book on how to satisfy most common bank requirements and avoid fees.

Victoria
I've found the bank bonuses easier than the cc bonuses. I almost felt guilty for taking $250 from WFB after having the account open for less than 3 weeks and doing only 10 debits for 10 days by buying my daily $2 coffee. Same goes for CapOne, whose account I only had opened for 8 days! Here's another site I use for bank bonuses:

http://www.moneysmylife.com/category/bank-promotions/
Thank you for the link, 2015.

Doctor of Credit recommends the following ways to meet 10 (or any number) of debit transactions requirement:
- Purchase Amazon gift cards. Amazon allows you to purchase gift cards with a debit card starting at only $0.15.
- Use self-checkout at grocery stores. Most major grocery stores now have a self-checkout lane that you can use a debit card with. This means you can easily split your weekly grocery shopping into as many separate transactions as required.

Victoria

Post by 2015 »

I tried doing the self-checkout thing for WFB at either the store or the gas station but was too lazy to even get a pin, so I just used the debit every day for ten days for my $2 coffee (no pin required)--on one day, I did actually have the nerve to ask them to break the coffee purchase into two debits but I'm a regular so they were ok with it. I did have to go into a WFB branch (walking distance) to drain and close the account, but even that took less than ten minutes. It's almost embarrassing how easy the whole thing was ($25 opening deposit funded with a cash back cc, and 10 debits)--I almost felt like I'd held them up!
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

2015 wrote:I almost felt like I'd held them up!
I consider Bogleheadism a form of vigilantism. We read numerous advisories and policies, consider myriads of what-if scenarios, and take well thought out actions to defeat financial fees and fines. A bank or a credit card bonus is a trophy rather than income.

Victoria
Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab »

2015 wrote:I've found the bank bonuses easier than the cc bonuses. I almost felt guilty for taking $250 from WFB after having the account open for less than 3 weeks and doing only 10 debits for 10 days by buying my daily $2 coffee.
See, for me using a bunch of debits isn't easy at all. I don't buy much stuff, certainly not things like daily coffee. I also dislike debits cards and prefer not to ever use or even have them. Credit cards are much better for me.
GrandMasterBlaster

Post by GrandMasterBlaster »

giesen5 wrote:In the last two months have opened:

2 Chase = $600
2 Wells Fargo = $500
2 Santander = $450
2 Cap One = $400

Total of $1950

It does take a bit of work, especially to make them fee free, but it is worth it.

Giesen5 - that is impressive!

Just opened a 360 account for both myself and my wife - would you mind posting links or details on the other accounts, especially regarding fee free applications? Thanks!
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
2015 wrote:I've found the bank bonuses easier than the cc bonuses. I almost felt guilty for taking $250 from WFB after having the account open for less than 3 weeks and doing only 10 debits for 10 days by buying my daily $2 coffee.
See, for me using a bunch of debits isn't easy at all. I don't buy much stuff, certainly not things like daily coffee. I also dislike debits cards and prefer not to ever use or even have them. Credit cards are much better for me.
Same here. I don't think I'll ever bother with anything that requires setting up a direct deposit either.

We just jumped on (2) CapOne savings for $400, and one BoA biz checking for $200. Each just required parking some cash there for a short time period and that's it. Super easy.

But if I had to do 10 debits I would just buy (10) $1 Amazon gift cards or something.
ND Fan 1

Post by ND Fan 1 »

GrandMasterBlaster wrote:
giesen5 wrote:In the last two months have opened:

2 Chase = $600
2 Wells Fargo = $500
2 Santander = $450
2 Cap One = $400

Total of $1950

It does take a bit of work, especially to make them fee free, but it is worth it.

Giesen5 - that is impressive!

Just opened a 360 account for both myself and my wife - would you mind posting links or details on the other accounts, especially regarding fee free applications? Thanks!
Doctor of Credit to me is the best site for these. lays our requirements pretty clearly including how to avoid fees, do debit card transactions and what counts as a Direct Deposit...hint most banks ACH will count as a DD

Bank Bonuses
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bank ... t-bonuses/

What counts as a direct deposit
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/knowledge ... -deposits/

How to meet debit card transactions
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/bank-acco ... uirements/
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

guitarguy wrote:Same here. I don't think I'll ever bother with anything that requires setting up a direct deposit either.
According to Doctor of Credit's booklet, in many banks you can satisfy direct deposit requirement with ACH from your other financial institutions.

Victoria
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

VictoriaF wrote:
guitarguy wrote:Same here. I don't think I'll ever bother with anything that requires setting up a direct deposit either.
According to Doctor of Credit's booklet, in many banks you can satisfy direct deposit requirement with ACH from your other financial institutions.

Victoria
Yeah...I read some of that. There are lots of notes that say "no longer works" and other comments to that effect. Seems like something they're cracking down on and could end up being a waste of time.

If I can't transfer it directly from my Chase Checking or Ally Savings and be done with it, I'm not going to bother. Just I'm personally to busy with other stuff, and will always prioritize credit card bonuses since they are better and tax free.
djpeteski

Post by djpeteski »

Bank Bonuses
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-bank ... t-bonuses/
Many of these offers list a "soft pull" on one's credit. What happens if your credit is frozen?

Post by 2015 »

guitarguy wrote:
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Same here. I don't think I'll ever bother with anything that requires setting up a direct deposit either.

We just jumped on (2) CapOne savings for $400, and one BoA biz checking for $200. Each just required parking some cash there for a short time period and that's it. Super easy.

But if I had to do 10 debits I would just buy (10) $1 Amazon gift cards or something.
Yes, in the comments section of the CapOne DOC listing, many people did just that. I am always looking for the laziest ways to fulfill these things, so as one of my favorite daily retirement activities is reading books at my local cafe, the $2 coffee route was easiest.

I most definitely do the credit cards as well. In fact, I'm looking forward to BOA's travel cc paying me $225 for my Amtrak Coastliner ride to Portland adventure in May. Why leave money on the table anywhere, if it's easy and takes little time? Now excuse me, I'm off to go investigate a $500 bank account bonus. :D
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

No bonus yet so I called, was told 6-8 weeks from deposit. Bummer since I see a lot of people had theirs post immediately after deposit.
nick evets

Post by nick evets »

VictoriaF wrote: [....]
- Use self-checkout at grocery stores. Most major grocery stores now have a self-checkout lane that you can use a debit card with. This means you can easily split your weekly grocery shopping into as many separate transactions as required.

Victoria
I'm wrapping my head around standing in line, trying to check out, and the person in front of me is paying for items...individually.
giesen5

Post by giesen5 »

You only do that if there is no one behind you......
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

batpot wrote:Just a thought...is it worth keeping multiple accounts at different institutions for protections from hackers?
Of course putting all of your money in the one that isn't hacked is the best option, but how can you know?
My problem is having too many accounts in too many difference places. I can hardly recall the user names, let alone the complicated passwords. And using password programs bring along their complexity and risks. Every website seems to have different requirements for usernames and passwords, like length, required characters, disallowed characters, etc. And using the same username or passwords for different accounts is a bad practice, but keeping track of 20, 30 or 100 different accounts is also a challenge.

So 1 is too few. And 2 or more is probably the right number. It's just hard to say how much more is better and not worse.
Topic Author
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

BW1985 wrote:No bonus yet so I called, was told 6-8 weeks from deposit. Bummer since I see a lot of people had theirs post immediately after deposit.
That is odd. I hope you get your bonus. I had to go back and forth several times with BMO to get them to pay a bonus once.
robertmcd

Post by robertmcd »

If I want to close my account after I get the bonus, how do I get my 1099 from them next year for taxes?
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

robertmcd wrote:If I want to close my account after I get the bonus, how do I get my 1099 from them next year for taxes?
They'll still send it to you whether the acct is open or not.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

whodidntante wrote:
BW1985 wrote:No bonus yet so I called, was told 6-8 weeks from deposit. Bummer since I see a lot of people had theirs post immediately after deposit.
That is odd. I hope you get your bonus. I had to go back and forth several times with BMO to get them to pay a bonus once.
Me too! :confused
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

BW1985 wrote:
robertmcd wrote:If I want to close my account after I get the bonus, how do I get my 1099 from them next year for taxes?
They'll still send it to you whether the acct is open or not.
I had a question on this as well. Capital One never sends you a 1099-INT, you have to log in to your account and download it. What happens after you close your account?
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Same here. I'll give them another call at the end of May if there is no bonus.