Capital One 360 $200 bonus (and now $300 checking bonus)

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Gamma Ray

Re: Capital One 360 $200 bonus

Post by Gamma Ray »

sunny_socal wrote: While you're at it, also make sure to apply for the checking account mentioned earlier in this thread. The conditions are even more lenient IMO and you get a $400 bonus :beer
Yes , assuming you are referring to this, but it was also discussed and mentioned that the $400 bonus ($200 Checking, $200 MM) is a targeted offer:
These cash bonuses are only available to you if you received our related package offer in the mail and if you do not have an existing 360 Money Market, 360 Checking or 360 Savings account. To receive any of these bonuses, you must be the existing primary or secondary account holder, and account(s) must be in good standing (not in default, closed or suspended).
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Gamma Ray wrote:
sunny_socal wrote: While you're at it, also make sure to apply for the checking account mentioned earlier in this thread. The conditions are even more lenient IMO and you get a $400 bonus :beer
Yes , assuming you are referring to this, but it was also discussed and mentioned that the $400 bonus ($200 Checking, $200 MM) is a targeted offer:
These cash bonuses are only available to you if you received our related package offer in the mail and if you do not have an existing 360 Money Market, 360 Checking or 360 Savings account. To receive any of these bonuses, you must be the existing primary or secondary account holder, and account(s) must be in good standing (not in default, closed or suspended).
No, this one:
https://www.capitalone.com/bonus400/

Targeted or not, people are getting the bonus so I applied. No credit pull, no special hoops or delays. I don't have my $400 yet since my second direct deposit just posted a couple days ago but I'm optimistic based on the feedback at doctorofcredit.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

sunny_socal wrote:No, this one:

Targeted or not, people are getting the bonus so I applied. No credit pull, no special hoops or delays. I don't have my $400 yet since my second direct deposit just posted a couple days ago but I'm optimistic based on the feedback at doctorofcredit.
How are you making deposits?

I requested direct deposits from my OPM pension, but it will be effective on 03 July and will post in the end of July and end of August. The end-of-August deposit will be beyond the 60-day deposit window for the bonus. And so I am trying to figure out what else I can do.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

VictoriaF wrote:

I requested direct deposits from my OPM pension, but it will be effective on 03 July and will post in the end of July and end of August. The end-of-August deposit will be beyond the 60-day deposit window for the bonus. And so I am trying to figure out what else I can do.

Victoria
Capital One 360

The following count as a direct deposit:

Alliant (1)
ACH (1)
Discover: 1
e trade: 1
Fidelity: 1 (CMA)
Goldman Sachs: 1
ING Direct/Capital One 360 (1)
USAA: 1

http://www.doctorofcredit.com/knowledge ... al_One_360
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

BogleMelon wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Capital One 360

Alliant (1)
ACH (1)

I saw this, but nothing applies to me, except possibly ACH. What counts as an ACH? Can I push money from PenFed?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
I did it from my work, I get paid every 2 weeks. I can have up to 7 direct deposits so I just created a new one for this purpose.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Finally got my bonus, had to call customer service to get it. They were very nice about it though.

Citi on the other hand I'm done with. Never got my bonus miles from their American Airlines card.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

I got mine without ever having $10,000 all at once. It is $10,000 in total deposits, so I literally transferred in and out of my Ally account.

All checking and MMA bonuses are taxable. Credit card rewards and bonuses are technically a purchase rebate and are thereby not taxable income.
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

The 360 $200 bonus also does not require DD. Careful, though, you must have the $10,000 in total deposits done by June 30th.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

BogleMelon wrote:
pasadena wrote:I just opened an account and used the code. While the code box turned green, and I got no error, I also didn't see any confirmation (I may have missed it). So I contacted them by chat and was told this was a targeted offer. I'm not even sure she actually checked my account.

I will let the transfer go through and will leave it there for a few weeks, on the off chance that it did work (it's 1% APY so I won't lose anything worth mentioning compared to the 1.05% of Ally). But CapitalOne did lose me as a prospective long-term customer.
What code did you use? I just did everything you did this morning, I used "200GROW" and the customer service said it went through and I should be good!
Yes, I used the same. I'll call today if I can, then I'll just wait and see !
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

I'm in bank bonus purgatory right now... Glad I keep very detailed bank records, we have exactly $10,000 in available cash to do the $200 bonus by the 30th for my wife. Holding my breath right now for a week - no debit transactions allowed!! :greedy
Accrual

Post by Accrual »

Guys - do you think I still take advantage of the $200 bonus offer? I was not targeted for this promotion. I have been monitoring this thread for awhile and it seems as if people were getting their bonus more quickly earlier on in the promotion as compared to now. Can anyone attest?

EDIT: Went ahead and signed up this evening. Transferring over $10,100 just to be sure :D I used the promo code but nowhere on the account page do I see it being "applied".
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

pasadena wrote:I just opened an account and used the code. While the code box turned green, and I got no error, I also didn't see any confirmation (I may have missed it). So I contacted them by chat and was told this was a targeted offer. I'm not even sure she actually checked my account.

I will let the transfer go through and will leave it there for a few weeks, on the off chance that it did work (it's 1% APY so I won't lose anything worth mentioning compared to the 1.05% of Ally). But CapitalOne did lose me as a prospective long-term customer.
I'm happy to report that the bonus posted today. Here's the timeline:

06/13 - account opened with pull from Ally Savings. It posted within a day or two
06/19 - $10,000 available
06/22 - $200 bonus posted

PSA : trust the process and don't waste your time trying to chat with them.
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

Accrual wrote:Guys - do you think I still take advantage of the $200 bonus offer? I was not targeted for this promotion. I have been monitoring this thread for awhile and it seems as if people were getting their bonus more quickly earlier on in the promotion as compared to now. Can anyone attest?

EDIT: Went ahead and signed up this evening. Transferring over $10,100 just to be sure :D I used the promo code but nowhere on the account page do I see it being "applied".
See my post directly above this one. It should answer both your questions :D
vv19

Post by vv19 »

BogleMelon wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Capital One 360

Alliant (1)
ACH (1)

What is counted as an ACH deposit? Is that the same as transferring money from an existing account to this Capital One 360?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

jay22 wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
Capital One 360

Alliant (1)
ACH (1)

What is counted as an ACH deposit? Is that the same as transferring money from an existing account to this Capital One 360?
I have the same question.

Some Doctor of Credit's commenters indicate that Capital One considers an ACH a "Direct Deposit" or not, depending on how it is coded. If it is coded as P2P it is not an ACH.

Victoria
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

Just going back and forth with my Lake Michigan Credit Union account worked.
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

Just going back and forth with my Lake Michigan Credit Union account worked.
Gamma Ray

Post by Gamma Ray »

Wow, less than a week $200 was deposited into my account. Incredible. Thanks everyone.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

We opened 2 accounts, 1 for me 1 for my wife:
Opened and funded each with $10K: 06/13
Balance was available to withdraw: 06/21 (I then transferred both amounts back to our Ally joint bank)
$200 rewarded for each account+small interest: 06/22 (Transferring the money and closing the account)
Easiest $400 ever! :twisted:
The original OP of this thread should get a commission on the money people made here :mrgreen:
"One of the funny things about stock market, every time one is buying another is selling, and both think they are astute" - William Feather
Gamma Ray

Post by Gamma Ray »

BogleMelon wrote:We opened 2 accounts, 1 for me 1 for my wife:
Balance was available to withdraw: 06/21 (I then transferred both amounts back to our Ally joint bank)
$200 rewarded for each account+small interest: 06/22 (Transferring the money and closing the account)
The original OP of this thread should get a commission on the money people made here :mrgreen:
Wait, so fast? Man, at least make them some money for a month. Do banks blacklist people for doing things like that?
That reminds me, I should open an account for wife while I am at it.

If anyone is in NY, check Santander's $225 bonus with no minimum deposit requirement.
Last edited by Gamma Ray on Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gamma Ray

Post by Gamma Ray »

giesen5 wrote:In the last two months have opened:

2 Chase = $600
2 Wells Fargo = $500
2 Santander = $450
2 Cap One = $400

Total of $1950

It does take a bit of work, especially to make them fee free, but it is worth it.
I read that Satander takes very long up to 4 months to give you the $225, also how did you open 2 of each? I suppose you opened one for you one for SO? Can you tell which method did you use to qualify for direct deposit. Our Payroll dept is not the most active & responsive, so I didn't want to ask them for direct deposit, but I guess I will have to if that's the only way.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Gamma Ray wrote: Do banks blacklist people for doing things like that.
Are you asking me or telling me? Well in both cases, I don't really care about the blacklist thing. I still have my main saving account and my main checking account. I don't think I will be banned forever from using banking service because of closing an account right after getting the promotion (I did the same last year with Chase).
I played the game with their terms. They threw a bait to bring new customers in, thinking that eventually people will like the bank or even forget about closing it and leave some money in it. But for me I neither liked the customer service (chatting has very long waiting time) nor I forget about my money. I won the bank game again. Just like I win it every time I use the credit card, get the cash back, not paying a dime in fees or interest. Their terms, but I won!
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

Gamma Ray wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:We opened 2 accounts, 1 for me 1 for my wife:
Wait, so fast? Man, at least make them some money for a month. Do banks blacklist people for doing things like that.
That reminds me, I should open an account for while while I am at it.

If anyone is in NY, check Santander's $225 bonus with no minimum deposit requirement.
Read the fine print - look for early closure fees. Most big banks are churnable (Cap One is once a lifetime). Some banks are chexplus sensitive, most are not.
Gamma Ray

Post by Gamma Ray »

BogleMelon wrote:
Are you asking me or telling me?
Fixed my typo. I was asking.
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

Gamma Ray wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
Are you asking me or telling me?
Fixed my typo. I was asking.
I'm at close to $4,000 in checking bonuses since last April. No "blacklist," but I do read the fine print very carefully. PNC is the only bank that has denied me an account.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

gvsucavie03 wrote:
Read the fine print - look for early closure fees.
+1 to read the fine print. And I did. Capital one has no closure fees at all.

A good summary:
"Early account termination fee: None"
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/capital-o ... deposited/
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

BogleMelon wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:

A good summary:
Some banks also pull the bonus if you close the account too early. Read everything carefully including their account disclosures (not just the bonus terms).
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

gvsucavie03 wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:

A good summary:
Some banks also pull the bonus if you close the account too early. Read everything carefully including their account disclosures (not just the bonus terms).
How would they technically pull the bonus if I already have transferred it out to another bank? would they send a bill?!
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

BogleMelon wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:

A good summary:
How would they technically pull the bonus if I already have transferred it out to another bank? would they send a bill?!
I've wondered that, too. I would assume it would be like any bank payment where if you don't repay it they would ding your credit and possibly move it to collections.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

gvsucavie03 wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:

A good summary:
I've wondered that, too. I would assume it would be like any bank payment where if you don't repay it they would ding your credit and possibly move it to collections.
They would put you into a negative balance, report it to Chexsystems, send you to collections, start charging you overdraft fees, etc. etc.
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Jags4186 wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:
BogleMelon wrote: +1 to read the fine print. And I did. Capital one has no closure fees at all.

A good summary:
They would put you into a negative balance, report it to Chexsystems, send you to collections, start charging you overdraft fees, etc. etc.
Without me knowing? without a bank statement showing I owe them money?!
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

BogleMelon wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:
BogleMelon wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:
Without me knowing? without a bank statement showing I owe them money?!
I'm sure they'd send you a final statement reflecting a negative balance. But maybe not.
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

So, which bank bonuses are actually 'churnable'? Meaning you get the bonus and you can reapply for them? Is there a list kept by anyone? I have looked at doctorofcredit website already but did not find such a list.
Thanks
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

Mrxyz wrote:So, which bank bonuses are actually 'churnable'? Meaning you get the bonus and you can reapply for them? Is there a list kept by anyone? I have looked at doctorofcredit website already but did not find such a list.
Thanks
No list I've found. Dr. of Cr. may help..

Depending on your state...
Huntington - very churnable
Fifth Third
Key Bank

Check out Hustler Money Blog, too and periodically search for bank bonuses on other websites.
Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz »

gvsucavie03 wrote:
Mrxyz wrote:So, which bank bonuses are actually 'churnable'? Meaning you get the bonus and you can reapply for them? Is there a list kept by anyone? I have looked at doctorofcredit website already but did not find such a list.
Thanks

Fifth Third
Key Bank

Check out Hustler Money Blog, too and periodically search for bank bonuses on other websites.
Thanks.
I did not know about Hustler money blog. Any other websites you like ?
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

Mrxyz wrote:
gvsucavie03 wrote:
Thanks

Fifth Third
Key Bank

Thanks.
I did not know about Hustler money blog. Any other websites you like ?
The creator of HMB has another site http://www.bankcheckingsavings.com/bank ... ns-offers/. Less clutter, different format. I found one or two that didn't catch my eye on HMB.

Nerd Wallet also is good. Good side-by-side comparison of credit card bonuses, too.

Dr. of Credit is good to get more thorough data on each bonus, but he doesn't list all of them that are available like HMB. If I find one on HMB, I'll see if DOC has it on his site to get more detailed info.

Every few weeks I'll just do a straight-up Google search with various words including my state. One or two have popped up and I've even gotten paid by HMB for finding one for their site :moneybag
BogleMelon

Post by BogleMelon »

Thanks
I believe that Chase is really churnable. you have to buy/get their coupon first and open the account at a physical branch. after 6 months you can get the reward and close the account then after a year you can redo the process.
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

BogleMelon wrote:
Thanks
I believe that Chase is really churnable. you have to buy/get their coupon first and open the account at a physical branch. after 6 months you can get the reward and close the account then after a year you can redo the process.
Yes, it is quite a long wait. The bonus took a long time to post and you have to leave the account open for 6 months or they pull the bonus. Then after closing (in branch with the manager!), you wait a full year.

I'll do it again for sure :wink:
gvsucavie03

Post by gvsucavie03 »

Some banks also say you can't have more than one bonus per calendar year. Again, you have to read all fine print.
Gamma Ray

Post by Gamma Ray »

BogleMelon wrote:
Thanks
That's what I thought, in the past you could actually open a new account because the card said "new accounts" not new customers, got $200 in the past.
But now it says new customer. I just closed my account last month because I didn't want to use it anymore, so I hope I'll be eligible again in 2 months. I asked if I could get direct deposit into my wife's account (by opening two accounts, $500 to hers, $500 to mine from my employer) someone said I couldn't do that. Is this true?
OffTheGrid

Post by OffTheGrid »

Did anyone get this $200 CapOne bonus after already having a CapOne 360 CD? It says not eligible if you've gotten a "savings product" from them before, but it sounds like at least one person on Dr. of Credit (in their post's comments) got the bonus and had a CD in the past... Seems like they're just counting savings and MM accounts, but I haven't found clarification on CapOne's site about this.

Just wondering if I should try this before the deal expires.
vv19

Post by vv19 »

sunny_socal wrote:
Gamma Ray wrote:
No, this one:

Did you receive your bonus after the DD?
GrandMasterBlaster

Post by GrandMasterBlaster »

I'm also interested in the $400 checking account bonus. While signing up, I was prompted that I must be a resident of the greater Boston, MA area to qualify, and then told when the account was opened that if I qualified, I would receive the bonus in 6-8 weeks. Has anybody else had the bonus post without being a resident of Boston? You obviously have to include your address in the application, so it seems easy for them to deny people not from Boston, but maybe it's an automated system that doesn't really check. Any data points?
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

I called Capital One today for the $200 bonus. They said I did not qualify inasmuch as I had an account with IMG back in 2007. Oh well.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Yes, CA resident and got my 200 for the MM and the 400 for the checking.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

sunny_socal wrote:Yes, CA resident and got my 200 for the MM and the 400 for the checking.
VA resident. I got my $200 bonus for the MM, and now I am waiting for the $400 for the checking. My transfers from PenFed and NavyFed did not qualify for the bonus, and now I am waiting for the Vanguard transfers to get through.

Victoria
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

VictoriaF wrote: VA resident. I got my $200 bonus for the MM, and now I am waiting for the $400 for the checking. My transfers from PenFed and NavyFed did not qualify for the bonus, and now I am waiting for the Vanguard transfers to get through.

Victoria
I'm still waiting for Vanguard to approve the new bank account. Hopefully it doesn't take them a week (I validated the test deposits this morning). My transfer from HSBC was coded as P2P so it didn't work.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

pasadena wrote:
VictoriaF wrote: VA resident. I got my $200 bonus for the MM, and now I am waiting for the $400 for the checking. My transfers from PenFed and NavyFed did not qualify for the bonus, and now I am waiting for the Vanguard transfers to get through.

Victoria
I'm still waiting for Vanguard to approve the new bank account. Hopefully it doesn't take them a week (I validated the test deposits this morning). My transfer from HSBC was coded as P2P so it didn't work.
Vanguard took 8 days to approve the new bank after I have confirmed the two micro-deposits. They sent me a letter via USPS to ensure that it was me who was linking a new bank.

Victoria
pasadena

Post by pasadena »

VictoriaF wrote:
pasadena wrote: I'm still waiting for Vanguard to approve the new bank account. Hopefully it doesn't take them a week (I validated the test deposits this morning). My transfer from HSBC was coded as P2P so it didn't work.
Vanguard took 8 days to approve the new bank after I have confirmed the two micro-deposits. They sent me a letter via USPS to ensure that it was me who was linking a new bank.

Victoria
This is so ... old school. With any other bank I've tried (or brokerage, I believe), the micro deposits are enough. I guess they do some sort of background verification on your name / SS, but it works immediately. Even HSBC works like that, and they're not the most modern bank.

Oh well, I suppose too much security is better than not enough security. But there must be some sort of middle ground to be found.