How to get the most out of Bogleheads

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
kamikazekid

How to get the most out of Bogleheads

Post by kamikazekid » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:16 pm

Hello Bogleheads,
This forum has been a wonderful experience for me. 2 years since I discovered this forum. After google search, this is the most useful thing I do on the web. Question for experience bogleheads - What is the best way to get the most out of this site. Do you spend x number of minutes a day just browsing around in general or do you tend to log on only when you need something specific. I am finding the former more beneficial but eager to learn more so as to make most of the site. Thank you for this forum. I love it.
:sharebeer

John Z

Re: How to get the most out of Bogleheads

Post by John Z » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:36 pm

For me it was in stages. About 10 years before retirement learned about lazy portfolios, found many variations, researched many along with the allocation I wanted and zeroed in on those topics. Then close to retirement focused on how to efficiently withdraw to ensure portfolio life to the end and past retirement. So my focus changed as years progressed. Also interested in many side topics not directly related to investing and retirement. Great site.

JoinToday

Post by JoinToday » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:47 pm

kamikazekid wrote:....Do you spend x number of minutes a day just browsing around in general or do you tend to log on only when you need something specific. ...
I think it is x number of hours a day, not minutes a day :shock:

Seriously, I read a bunch of books early in my investment learning (this took the most time), and focused threads of interest in this forum. I learned a lot from the differing opinions about various options: slice & dice vs 3 or 4 fund portfolios, gov't bonds vs investment grade bonds, etc. Over the course of time, my investment philosophy has solidified, and I no longer question my asset allocation when I hear of the hottest stock or sector, and I completely dismiss talking heads on the radio/TV/print giving recommendations.
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago

arthurdawg

Post by arthurdawg » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:50 pm

I picked up Tyson's "Mutual Funds for Dummies" close to 20 years ago. That led me to the old Vanguard Diehards on Morningstar and started my interest in index investing. In the years after that I read a dozen books on investing, working my way through Malkiel, then the Bogle books, then Bernstein and Thau's bond book, and finishing up with some reviews by Ferri and Swedroe. All during this time I posted a good bit, although I've come and gone over the years. Now I use the Bogleheads to come back to when I want to look up a specific issue or get a recommendation. Or to chat about non investing topics! Given that I have a firm foundation of index funds with little interest in moving beyond my current portfolio, I don't spend nearly as much time here as I used to, but will be returning from time to time to see what is new!
TSM / SCV / FTSE Big World / FTSE Small World / REIT / TBM / Int Term Tax Exempt

carolinaman

Post by carolinaman » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:14 am

Once you have a good understanding of the Boglehead philosophy and approach to investing which I suspect you have by now, you can browse the forum once a day or when time permits for topics of interest. This usually takes me 30 to 60 minutes depending upon posts I find and time available. There is a broad range of topics everyday and I always find things that interest me or that I should know. Alternatively, if you have a specific need, do a search to find out what the forum has to say about it.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:18 am

I think one of the best ways of getting the most out of Bogleheads is to not ignore the Search function. The Search function has been greatly improved since the first few years, too.

The forum can be searched in many ways, too. Searches can be restricted to the bogleheads.org/wiki for instance.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

powermega

Post by powermega » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:29 am

The wiki here is very good on a number of topics. I think it's a great place to start.

Personally I love browsing the various threads that cover a wide variety of topics.

I also think that getting something from Bogleheads can be something you do to help the site itself. See the links under "Support this Site" on the left side of the screen.
Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

davidkw

Post by davidkw » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:44 am

Read the books recommended by Rick Ferri and Larry Swedroe. I learned plenty from them. For questions from the book, Larry has been available to answer questions about his books.
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"