What Car Should I Buy My Daughter as a Graduation Present

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Small Law Survivor

What Car Should I Buy My Daughter as a Graduation Present

Post by Small Law Survivor » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:25 am

[Status updated on Page 2 --admin LadyGeek]

My daughter is graduating from college in May, and I'm going to buy her a car. My dad did it for me, and I'm fine doing this for her.

It will be a used car.

But, I don't follow the car market at all - I'm not a car-person. Cars have always been a mode of transportation, nothing more. I look forward to the day, if it ever comes, that I own no cars. Right now I'm driving a 2007 Volvo that a bought used in 2009. It has 120,000 miles on it, and looks like a junker. Fine with me.

So, I have no idea what model/year cars to consider for my daughter. I'm totally out of touch with car-buying web sites, services, inspection companies, and so on. Safety is a factor.

I live outside Boston. Any advice to help me get started with this would be much appreciated.

Small Law Survivor

midareff

Re: What Car Should I Buy My Daughter as a Graduation Present

Post by midareff » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:27 am

Cars can be very personal. What about telling her you have xyz dollars to buy her a car, what would she like, and then go out shopping for it with her.

poleman

Post by poleman » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:28 am

If she will be driving into Boston for grad school or work, get her a Hummer.

Midpack

Post by Midpack » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:32 am

midareff wrote:Cars can be very personal. What about telling her you have xyz dollars to buy her a car, what would she like, and then go out shopping for it with her.
+1. You might want a few more boundaries, like you won't buy a 30 year old Mercedes 380SL even though it's within her budget.

As for what's reliable, I'd highly recommend you look at the Consumer Reports annual for automobile reliability (and safety) and stay away from unreliable makes/models.

As for getting a deal it's tougher on used cars. There are plenty of use car price guides online, like https://www.edmunds.com. Then find the cars on dealers lots or CarMax (you can do it online) and play them against each other for the best price. You're going to pay used retail or close. You can get a better deal at an independent used car lot, but it's riskier at most of them - no service.
Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Subaru - AWD, reliable, safe.
Honda - reliable, safe.
Toyota - safe, reliable.

See the trend - all manufacturers are Japanese, known for reliability (exception of use of Takada airbags).
+1
Last edited by Midpack on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:39 am, edited 6 times in total.
You only live once...

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:33 am

Subaru - AWD, reliable, safe.
Honda - reliable, safe.
Toyota - safe, reliable.

See the trend - all manufacturers are Japanese, known for reliability (exception of use of Takada airbags).
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:39 am

Honda - reliable, safe.
Toyota - safe, reliable.

+1 :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:47 am

Honda - reliable, safe.
Toyota - safe, reliable.

I would only add to stay away from cars that are too small even if you are tempted by better fuel economy.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:50 am

dbr wrote:
Honda - reliable, safe.
Toyota - safe, reliable.

I would only add to stay away from cars that are too small even if you are tempted by better fuel economy.
Agree - Honda FIT scares me, I drive a Civic and my car is bigger than the FIT while smaller than an Accord.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:51 am

Why don't you ask her what car she wants?

My daughter bought herself a Toyota RAV4 with the latest safety stuff. She traded in her old used Lexus SUV that I gave her. So you could get your daughter a used Lexus RX-350.

Then there's the family across the road from me. They bought their daughter a red Mercedes convertible for her 16th birthday. She totaled it, so they found the exact same car and bought her another one.
Last edited by livesoft on Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:54 am

Where is she going to school, I hope not Boston. Cars are very expensive to keep in the city. If in Maine maybe a Subaru, if down south a front wheel drive would be fine. Do not spend too much money, there is a very good chance it will get in several accidents over the next few years.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:58 am

How about buying yourself a new/used car and giving her your 2007 Volvo?

If you feel this isn't enough of a gift, then add cash.

A paid off car and some cash for a college freshman is a pretty good start. Most likely the car will sit outside in parking lots for the next 4+ years.

I also like finding a 4-5 year old Lexus RX-350. Sit up higher, not small or big, great ride and features.
Where to spend your time: | 1. You completely control <--spend your time here! | 2. You partially control <--spend your time here! | 3. You have no control <--spend no time here!

JDCarpenter

Post by JDCarpenter » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:24 am

Is she going to grad school?

What City is she locating to for work or grad school?

Agree that if a car is a good idea, examine it with her. BUT, depending on City, it can be a P.I.A. to have a car. Our sons live in heart of San Fran, a couple blocks from National Mall in DC, and on Chicago Loop. Only the latter one owns a car; he is an accountant and travels to client locations around Chicago. The other two (and their wives) walk to work and are unwilling to pay for parking. On paper they could easily afford it, but choose to save and spend on travel....

______
E.T.A.--if car not required, she might appreciate a contribution to vacation fund!
Edit Signature

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:25 am

Cars can be very personal. What about telling her you have xyz dollars to buy her a car, what would she like, and then go out shopping for it with her.
I do plan to ask her this, but I suspect she will not have strong feelings one-way-or-another, and will be receptive to my suggestions. But, we'll see ...

Small Law Survivor

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:35 am

Small Law Survivor wrote:My daughter is graduating from college in May, and I'm going to buy her a car.

It will be a used car. But, I don't follow the car market at all - I'm not a car-person.

So, I have no idea what model/year cars to consider for my daughter. I'm totally out of touch with car-buying web sites, services, inspection companies, and so on. Safety is a factor.

I live outside Boston. Any advice to help me get started with this would be much appreciated.

Small Law Survivor
For anyone to give relevant suggestions, we need to know how much you want to spend.

$10K, $25K, $50K?

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:38 am

I took my daughter to CarMax, and gave her a spending limit.

gasdoc

psteinx

Post by psteinx » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:48 am

There are maybe 6 or 7 major styles of light vehicles (crossover, small sedan, pickup, etc).

There are maybe 100+ models.

There are maybe 300+ trim levels.

If you include reasonably running used cars, up to ~15 years or so old, you're up close to 4500 (model_year * model * trim_level).

Your request is far too broad, without some idea of what you're looking to spend, what her usage is likely to be (does cold weather/snow performance matter) and any other important, relevant personal factors.

andrew1976

Post by andrew1976 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:49 am

spammagnet

Post by spammagnet » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:09 pm

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:.. all manufacturers are Japanese, known for reliability (exception of use of Takada airbags).
Everybody used Takada air bags. That issue is not limited to Japanese auto manufacturers.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:32 pm

gasdoc wrote:I took my daughter to CarMax, and gave her a spending limit.

gasdoc
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. While some might say they prices are inflated, that's really only true if you're comparing it to Craigslist shopping. For someone that just wants a used vehicle with zero hassle Carmax seems great. The car also comes with a warranty.

A couple years ago I thougth I'd be clever and buy from Craigslist. Found a 2008 Toyota Tundra, 80k miles, paid $17k - fair deal so far. But then I ended up sinking $5k into that vehicle over the next few months on issues that were not apparent during the test drives. Toyota would no longer cover them either because the vehicle was so far out of warranty (issues had TSBs so they were well known problems.) At the time I bought the truck Carmax had the exact model I wanted with 40k miles for $23k. "Too much" I thought, but in the end I ended up paying just as much for mine yet had many more miles.

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:40 pm

Honda - reliable, safe.
Toyota - safe, reliable.

I would disagree - Japanese cars are reliable, but not the safest. Also be careful applying safety in a non model specific context. T

The safest Japanese cars last I looked into were the current model Mazda CX5 and CX9. The challenge is that doesn't necessarily apply when you start looking used. ADAC does have crash test results on prior models often available, they also post videos of their testing etc so you can get a good feel. It is the first place I start when I'm looking for a new family car.

I don't rate the us testing standards personally, but they're good to compare against the German.

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:53 pm

livesoft wrote:Why don't you ask her what car she wants?
And if she even wants a car in the first place?

It's nice that you're "carrying on the tradition" that your parents started with you. But still, maybe she'd rather have the equivalent amount in cash to help pay down a student loan? Or to add to her own car fund so she can get a better/newer car that either of you two might buy alone?

Or maybe she's fine with the car she has (if she has one). Or maybe she's planning on moving somewhere soon where a car isn't needed (or even a liability)?

Just saying that there are certain things that you should think twice before surprising someone with it as a gift. Cars are one of them.
Stay on target...

researcher

Post by researcher » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:02 pm

sunny_socal wrote:A couple years ago I thougth I'd be clever and buy from Craigslist. Found a 2008 Toyota Tundra, 80k miles, paid $17k - fair deal so far. But then I ended up sinking $5k into that vehicle over the next few months on issues that were not apparent during the test drives (issues had TSBs so they were well known problems.) At the time I bought the truck Carmax had the exact model I wanted with 40k miles for $23k. "Too much" I thought, but in the end I ended up paying just as much for mine yet had many more miles.
Apples & oranges...you can't compare a vehicle with DOUBLE the miles on CL with a much newer vehicle from CarMax.

You should compare the prices on Craigslist for a newer 40K mile vehicle, which would likely have been several thousand less than CarMax AND avoided the costly repairs mentioned with the older vehicle.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:07 pm

JupiterJones wrote:
livesoft wrote:Why don't you ask her what car she wants?
And if she even wants a car in the first place?

It's nice that you're "carrying on the tradition" that your parents started with you. But still, maybe she'd rather have the equivalent amount in cash to help pay down a student loan? Or to add to her own car fund so she can get a better/newer car that either of you two might buy alone?

Or maybe she's fine with the car she has (if she has one). Or maybe she's planning on moving somewhere soon where a car isn't needed (or even a liability)?

Just saying that there are certain things that you should think twice before surprising someone with it as a gift. Cars are one of them.
This is the best approach. Discuss it with her. You could offer a rough budget or to fund a certain amount as well as advice and assistance in shopping and making the purchase.

wstrdg

Post by wstrdg » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:13 pm

And if she even wants a car in the first place?And if she even wants a car in the first place?
+1
First son has a car and bikes/takes bus to work bc there is no parking
Second son has a car and bikes/takes train to work bc traffic is a nightmare and no parking
Daughter made it thru grad school with no car; lots of Uber. She is moving to suburbs for work and will probably buy one.

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:33 pm

I bought my son a small Nissan pickup when he graduated from school. He loved it. He used it a ton for work and fun. He hauled his bikes and toys and all kinds of stuff.

I bought my daughter a Chrysler convertible when she graduated from school. She loved that car. She drove it everywhere with the top down. She took it to college and drove it to work part time. When she graduated she took it with her to her job in LA.

So it depends on the kid. Buy what the kid likes and fits their personality and needs.

Good Luck.

TSR

Post by TSR » Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:57 pm

You should get her a used CRV or RAV4. Those are the best combo of safe/reliable/useful/efficient/cost-effective that I know. There are other versions of the same cross=over available elsewhere, and they're probably fine too (Hyundais). She will have no emotional attachment to it whatsoever, and it will get stuff done. You could also go for an Accord, Civic, or Camry, any of which would be just fine.

Good luck, and congrats on being in this enviable position -- I'm sure you're very proud of your daughter.

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:17 pm

Consumer Reports has a list of recommended used cars for teenage drivers on its website. I realize your daughter is not a teenager but the list is based on criteria such as safety features and reliability, so it would be a good place to start.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news ... /index.htm

Fallible

Post by Fallible » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:21 pm

midareff wrote:Cars can be very personal. What about telling her you have xyz dollars to buy her a car, what would she like, and then go out shopping for it with her.
A great idea for many reasons: shopping for a first car can be fun, a lesson in finance and handling sales pitches, and buying a used car and finding a safe one. Also, she'll have to try the car out for herself to see how well it suits her and how much she likes it. It's a great opportunity to teach lifelong lessons - and have fun together.
Bogleheads® wiki | Investing Advice Inspired by Jack Bogle

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:23 pm

Buy her a Lotus Elise. For $30k, you can find an 05-07 in perfect condition.
There's a Lotus/Aston-Martin dealer in Waltham.
The drivetrain is Toyota (2ZZ engine) so is reliable.
The forum LotusTalk has all of the stupid things Lotus engineered in that need to be fixed. They're all cheap and by now, most all have been fixed by present owners.
She will think it's the "cutest" car she's ever seen.
There is zero chance for theft because when left in a parking lot, it's mostly kept company by constant people coming over to take pictures and videos.
You would be hard pressed to stick a magnet to it because almost nothing is made of steel. Chassis is aluminum, body is composite so it's not going to be a rusted out hulk like many English cars are.
They hold their value now like crazy. If you buy one for $30k and she keeps it for 10 years, chances are, she'll be able to sell it for more than $30k.
They are fun to drive. When I say fun, think of any car you've ever driven (including Porsches, Lamborghinis and Ferraris). It's more fun. It handles better than any of them as well. All this while getting 29 miles per gallon.
Mid/rear engine so the drive wheels have most of the weight of the car over them. Great for winter traction.

Just don't hit a raccoon. The Raccoon will be annoyed and the Elise will be totaled.

(I sold my Elise this past summer to help fund DS's college expenses.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

PandaBear

Post by PandaBear » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:24 pm

Get her a Reliant Robin.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:26 pm

PandaBear wrote:Get her a Reliant Robin.
And make it into a space shuttle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJdrlWR-yFM
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Random Poster

Post by Random Poster » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:46 pm

TSR wrote:You should get her a used CRV or RAV4.
Agree.

They offer decent gas mileage, are reasonably safe and generally reliable, have good handling, enough (but not too much) power, and excellent storage capability. Even a 2WD model goes through snow just fine, when equipped with snow tires. Car insurance should be reasonable on such models as well.

galectin

Post by galectin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:00 pm

I got my daughter a new first year Scion XB when she graduated. She is still driving it and it has been quite reliable.
My son got a Kawasaki 650 motorcycle. We paid for it and made up the difference in cash.

What other folks said:

What does she want?
Is snow an issue that would make AWD important?

And, how much do you want to spend? I made it clear that we were looking at lower-end prices (new) and my daughter test-drove a number of different cars with the Scion XB being a clear winner to her.

STINGRAY75

Post by STINGRAY75 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:27 pm

Look at it from the other end of the spectrum - study the least reliable list and try to steer her away if she drifts in that direction.

PandaBear

Post by PandaBear » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:40 pm

livesoft wrote:
PandaBear wrote:Get her a Reliant Robin.
And make it into a space shuttle. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJdrlWR-yFM
It makes me sad that it didn't work.

gasdoc

Post by gasdoc » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:42 pm

STINGRAY75 wrote:Look at it from the other end of the spectrum - study the least reliable list and try to steer her away if she drifts in that direction.
+1. That is what I did when I took her to CarMax. Add to that- cars with too much engine!!!

gasdoc

Elena

Post by Elena » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:02 pm

Small Law Survivor wrote:My daughter is graduating from college in May, and I'm going to buy her a car. My dad did it for me, and I'm fine doing this for her.

It will be a used car.

But, I don't follow the car market at all - I'm not a car-person. Cars have always been a mode of transportation, nothing more. I look forward to the day, if it ever comes, that I own no cars. Right now I'm driving a 2007 Volvo that a bought used in 2009. It has 120,000 miles on it, and looks like a junker. Fine with me.

Small Law Survivor
This is what my dad did for me: Gave me a used "new" car, 1 yr. old, with all the safety features available back then (antilock brakes, etc.), AND gifted me a defensive driving course. The learning experience was fun, and paid off in no accidents so far. The course was a three day experience, held in an F1 course. We actually had to learn how to make the car loop, drive on aquaplaning, etc. Almost like a stunt.

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:16 pm

Random Poster wrote:
TSR wrote:You should get her a used CRV or RAV4.
Agree.

They offer decent gas mileage, are reasonably safe and generally reliable, have good handling, enough (but not too much) power, and excellent storage capability. Even a 2WD model goes through snow just fine, when equipped with snow tires. Car insurance should be reasonable on such models as well.

Jeez guys..... after a college graduation don't you think input less this is what you will drive approach is a bit out of place?

MikeWillRetire

Post by MikeWillRetire » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:46 pm

When I graduated from college, I wanted independence. I would not have wanted my parents to buy me a used car. I would have felt obligated to like it.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:52 pm

livesoft wrote:
Why don't you ask her what car she wants?

Or, perhaps what sort of car or several examples.

Perhaps a Toyota Camry might be a very practical choice.

BeneIRA

Post by BeneIRA » Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:59 pm

First, giving your child a car is amazingly generous. My family took me out to lunch for my college graduation and it was to a place I didn't even want to go to, but that is neither here nor there. Is she going to be working in the city? If so, the car probably won't get used much since it makes more sense to take the T into work. If that is the case, a Civic sized car will be fine since she won't drive it much and getting the fanciest car in the world won't impact her life much. Gist is, we need more details.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:01 pm

MikeWillRetire wrote:When I graduated from college, I wanted independence. I would not have wanted my parents to buy me a used car. I would have felt obligated to like it.
Fifty years ago, my parents paid for the new car model I wanted and chose: 1967 VW Beetle. At the time, very low cost, high gasoline mileage and "practical".

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald » Wed Mar 01, 2017 8:59 pm

I like the Honda Civic Hatchback:
http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-hatchback
Best Wishes, | Joe

J295

Post by J295 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:04 pm

Our daughter living in Boston bought a CPO Honda CR-V. Used 2014. Drives a lot and loves it.

Wolkenspiel

Post by Wolkenspiel » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:12 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Buy her a Lotus Elise. For $30k, you can find an 05-07 in perfect condition.
Mid/rear engine so the drive wheels have most of the weight of the car over them. Great for winter traction.
Traction is fine, unless there are more than 5-6" of snow. In that case the flat underbody of the aluminum monocoque will just sit on the snow and the wheels won't touch the ground. Ask me how I know.

I'm impressed by all the valiant efforts to provide advice in response to a post that neglected to provide the key piece of information.

Trev H

Post by Trev H » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:21 pm

I bought mine a 2008 Toyota Camry... (when she turned 16).

My company buys them new for our sales reps and they keep them until they have 100K miles or so (they service them and everything, take good care of them)... then they offer them for sale (by silent auction) to the company staff. I bid 6k for it and won.

It has been a great little car for her and really just what she needed. It drives great, dependable, gets great gas mileage.

No complaints.

Trev H

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:25 pm

We sent our D a 5-6 year old Volvo S40. It was well-maintained and mechanically sound. It had low mileage when we bought it used. The mechanic checked it out before we shipped it. It has served her very nicely for these past many years and is still running well. We wanted her to have a car that is safe, given the high speeds and heavy traffic of LA. We were able to find her an independent Volvo mechanic in LA that is able to maintain her vehicle well.

On the other hand, I believe Toyotas and Hondas are generally good, reliable cars and would not hesitate to purchase one of those, new or used.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:41 pm

Buy the car she wants.

My friend's parents with the best of intentions made the down payment on a brand new Civic for their son and gave it to him for his graduation. The problem was he was already driving an older Accord with power everything and air conditioning. They traded that in and now he has a small hatchback Civic with manual windows and no AC. And he has to pay off the remaining loan. That's got to be the worst gift ever.

delamer

Post by delamer » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:49 pm

mmmodem wrote:Buy the car she wants.

My friend's parents with the best of intentions made the down payment on a brand new Civic for their son and gave it to him for his graduation. The problem was he was already driving an older Accord with power everything and air conditioning. They traded that in and now he has a small hatchback Civic with manual windows and no AC. And he has to pay off the remaining loan. That's got to be the worst gift ever.
A gift that requires the giftee to make loan payments is not a gift in my book.

ram

Post by ram » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:51 pm

My daughter uses my old toyota avalon and is happy with it. It appears that she will be spending a year in either Baltimore or Boston and does not want to have the car in either of those cities. So check with your daughter first.
Ram