Missing my Microsoft Money - any equivalents?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
lebewohl

Missing my Microsoft Money - any equivalents?

Postby lebewohl » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:34 pm

I loved keeping track of all of my finances on Microsoft Money that came with my old laptop. Ever since I switched to a Mac and Chromebook, I haven't found another one stop shop that takes care of all my needs. Right now, I am using Mint along with a Google spreadsheet that gives me my upcoming expenses, paychecks, etc. in weekly increments. I did a little bit of digging around for a suitable app but only been finding apps similar to Mint - ones that pull info from all my accounts - or budgeting apps that have the level of granularity I'm looking for but needs manual entries which I'm already doing with my spreadsheet. Is there something out there that is both iOS and Google Chrome/Android compatible that can meet all my needs?

chrisdds98

Re: Missing my Microsoft Money - any equivalents?

Postby chrisdds98 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:40 pm

I still use mine, like it much better then quickbooks (which I use for my business) and anything else I've tried. look for it on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Microsoft-Money ... Sw~AVYnN3a

stevethefundguy

Postby stevethefundguy » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:44 pm

Likewise, I still use my many-years-old Microsoft Money. I tried Quicken and was stunned by how inferior it was. But Money no longer automatically updates mutual fund/ETF daily prices, so every so often I have to do that manually. Microsoft could easily have kept that function available so it's particularly irksome.

Older versions of Money available online for purchase, and a Money Plus "sunset" version is downloadable at no cost.

heartwood

Postby heartwood » Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:52 pm

+1 I've switched to a chromebook as well but use my wife's Windows laptop for MS Money. I've got at least 10 years of data and use it for tax tracking, etc.

AMEX has no longer supports it (or Quicken) in downloads, only CSV, Excel or pdf, so I do those manually. I can't figure out how to get CSV or excel format into Money.

My big problem is the revised Vanguard brokerage formats. I can't figure out how to upload the transactions for the federal MM that's the settlement account for my Advantage checking. I can download them but it now creates multiple records that don't mesh with the old stuff. It all worked fine in the old advantage brokerage I had. So far its going manual as well.

Like the OP I'd love to find something that works on a chromebook, and can allow transfer of MS Money files so as not to lose my history. Otherwise do I go back to an ad hoc spreadsheet?

caroline534

Postby caroline534 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:41 pm

Anyone know of a program like Microsoft Money that also has an educational component? I'm a recent grad and don't have much experience with managing my finances

caroline534

Postby caroline534 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:54 pm

Does anyone know of a program like Microsoft Money that also has an educational component? I'm a recent grad and don't have a lot of experience managing my finances so I'd like to learn more

rutrow2015

Postby rutrow2015 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:38 pm

The thing I liked about MS Money was the ability to update my stock and bond prices automatically. When they stopped supporting MS Money I cast around for an alternative that would do the regular finance stuff but also let me update asset prices automatically.

I tried GNUCash and Moneydance but ultimately settled on kMyMoney. It's free, it runs on Windows and Linux, and it does everything of importance that MSMoney used to do for me. Most important to me is that it is 100 percent OFF LINE. I don't have to use a third party website to track my financial health.

It was a bit of a challenge converting 10+ years of MS Money data to kMyMoney - I seem to remember having to export each account individually from Money and then import it into kMyMoney. I don't recall the specifics as this was more than 2 years ago but I was able to convert everything and I lost nothing in the process.

I go on kmymoney once a week to update stock prices and I import CSV files from my bank and brokerage accounts so that I get everything up to date. It works well. It has some default reports and they can all be customized. I've never used the forecaster nor budgeting tools but they are included as well.

brew

Postby brew » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:02 pm

caroline534 wrote:Does anyone know of a program like Microsoft Money that also has an educational component? I'm a recent grad and don't have a lot of experience managing my finances so I'd like to learn more

If you need budgeting help and aren't opposed to the subscription software model, you can try You Need a Budget (YNAB). I have Version 4 (non-subscription) and use it daily, although it is no longer supported. The newer subscription-based edition has some differences but at the core they both use the envelope-based budgeting method. The good part is that they have plenty of online tutorials and live classes (it's been awhile but I think they used GoToMeeting for these). The bad part is that, while it's brilliant for budgeting and teaching personal finance, it's not good at reporting, forecasting/what-ifs, or investments. The developers have also "written off" many loyal former users who missed certain functionality in the subscription version that is available in Version 4 (there are several heated threads in their forums), and the mobile sync component of Version 4 will stop working when Dropbox retires its deprecated API.

Nothing is like Microsoft Money. It was very hard to switch and lose automated daily account updates, investment tracking, and decades of financial history, even though in my opinion it was horrendous at budgeting.

Toons

Postby Toons » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:08 pm

Quicken 2017
Deluxe :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

brew

Postby brew » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:12 pm

Toons wrote:Quicken 2017

Expected to go subscription-only, going so far as to prevent you from updating your data (downloaded or manual) if you're not paid up.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/31 ... model.html
Last edited by brew on Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Toons

Postby Toons » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:13 pm

brew wrote:
Toons wrote:Quicken 2017

Expected to go subscription-only, going so far as to lock you out of your data if you're not paid up.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/31 ... model.html

Thats fine with me. :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

brew

Postby brew » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:14 pm

Sorry I edited right after you replied. It doesn't appear it will prevent you from getting at your previously entered data.

Toons

Postby Toons » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:14 pm

brew wrote:Sorry I edited right after you replied. It doesn't appear it will prevent you from getting at your previously entered data.

:sharebeer

GLState

Postby GLState » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:21 pm

caroline534 wrote:Does anyone know of a program like Microsoft Money that also has an educational component? I'm a recent grad and don't have a lot of experience managing my finances so I'd like to learn more

I would suggest downloading the free Microsoft Money Sunset edition. https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=20738 The first step in personal finance is to discover what you make and where you spend it. This would be perfect to get your feet wet.

I've used Quicken since it was just a checkbook program. I used Quicken and Microsoft Money side-by-side for a number of years. The only thing I miss about Microsoft Money was the free billpay. Paying bills by clicking in the register was awesome. Quicken still charges 9.95/month for billpay, so I go through my old MM account or credit union. Quicken does everything well.
Last edited by GLState on Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spammagnet

Postby spammagnet » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:30 pm

heartwood wrote:... AMEX has no longer supports it (or Quicken) in downloads, only CSV, Excel or pdf, so I do those manually. I can't figure out how to get CSV or excel format into Money. ...

http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/xl2qif_en.php

The link above is an add-in for Excel that imports and exports to QIF. I've used it successfully for years to import to both Money and Quicken.

Quicken no longer imports QIF directly for bank accounts but it's easy to edit the QIF file header to make it work. It's just a text file that follows certain conventions. If you search the internet for "QIF import" or something like that, you'll find the necessary instructions.

heartwood

Postby heartwood » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:23 pm

spammagnet wrote:
heartwood wrote:... AMEX has no longer supports it (or Quicken) in downloads, only CSV, Excel or pdf, so I do those manually. I can't figure out how to get CSV or excel format into Money. ...

http://xl2qif.chez-alice.fr/xl2qif_en.php

The link above is an add-in for Excel that imports and exports to QIF. I've used it successfully for years to import to both Money and Quicken.

Quicken no longer imports QIF directly for bank accounts but it's easy to edit the QIF file header to make it work. It's just a text file that follows certain conventions. If you search the internet for "QIF import" or something like that, you'll find the necessary instructions.

Thank you. I'll give it a try.

Chris001122

Postby Chris001122 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:17 pm

Mint (free), Microsoft Excel (Home version $99) and Google sheets (also free). I liked MS Money, but when it stopped working, I did it manually for awhile by downloading from the bank's site. Mint automatically assigns categories and you can change that logic which saves me a LOT of time versus the manual method. I don't think I would go back to Money or Quicken if they gave it away.
"It's always been a mistake to bet against the United States since 1776." - Warren Buffett

macheta

Postby macheta » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:13 pm

i've always used mint. recently I started getting nervious with giving out my passwords so I stopped using it for my investement accounts. I might try manually loading MS Money and see how I like it.

chw

Postby chw » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:58 pm

Chris001122 wrote:Mint (free), Microsoft Excel (Home version $99) and Google sheets (also free). I liked MS Money, but when it stopped working, I did it manually for awhile by downloading from the bank's site. Mint automatically assigns categories and you can change that logic which saves me a LOT of time versus the manual method. I don't think I would go back to Money or Quicken if they gave it away.

+1 for Mint- especially since I discovered the export to Excel function. The export make it easy to analyze/track expenses/income for various time frames. I only track expenses with Mint. I manually update my investments a few times a year in an Excel spreadsheet to watch allocations for rebalancing.

camillus

Postby camillus » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:28 pm

You might want to look into Personal Capital. A former Intuit CEO runs the company. It can do budgeting, but it is mainly aimed at investors. It does a good job and makes recommendations on asset allocation. I'd look into it.

I personally use YNAB since I regard my savings rate my most significant factor for success in this stage of the game. It doesn't do investments.

Both of the above have communities and educational material that's rolled out via Youtube and blogs. Mostly fun stuff.

Both are web-based and available anywhere you have the web, including chromebooks.

Sheepdog

Postby Sheepdog » Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:03 am

What would I do without my Money 2002 which followed my original Money 98 and Money 2000? I have complete 19 years history of all investment, expense, expense category, etc, plus future cash flow analysis for planning. I can pick out anything financial for any time period.. I have it installed in a 2002 Dell Windows XP desktop and a Toshiba Windows7 laptop and they are synced to keep them both the same. If one went out I can still continue. I don't know if it would install on Windows 10...that's why I haven't gone there. So I don't need to look anywhere else to replace it.
However good or bad a situation is, it will change

frugalfraggle

Postby frugalfraggle » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:06 am

I use Banktivity: does budgets, savings rates, investments, automatic downloads, envelope budgeting and so. New version coming soon looks even better: https://www.iggsoftware.com/banktivity6/

rob

Postby rob » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:19 am

Sheepdog wrote:I don't know if it would install on Windows 10...that's why I haven't gone there.

My Money 2002 works fine on windows 10 BUT the old excel export functions (it was a separate install not the export in money itself) I could not get going. Since I relied on that for my excel stuff, I stopped using money... unfortunately.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

heartwood

Postby heartwood » Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:35 am

Sheepdog wrote:What would I do without my Money 2002 which followed my original Money 98 and Money 2000? I have complete 19 years history of all investment, expense, expense category, etc, plus future cash flow analysis for planning. I can pick out anything financial for any time period.. I have it installed in a 2002 Dell Windows XP desktop and a Toshiba Windows7 laptop and they are synced to keep them both the same. If one went out I can still continue. I don't know if it would install on Windows 10...that's why I haven't gone there. So I don't need to look anywhere else to replace it.

I'm running the Money Sunset edition downloaded from online on my wife's Acer laptop running Windows-10. The files are in my dropbox folder, itself inside OneDrive. I can access them from another older laptop running W-7 and Money Sunset. It works for me.

I myself have moved almost exclusively to an Acer Chromebook r-13 which will not run Money hence my search for something that will run on chromebook. Based on recommends above I've installed Mint and will give it a try.

amoose

Postby amoose » Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:43 am

I use Microsoft Money Sunset Edition, which is completely free for download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=20738

To updated my accounts, I use the "pocketsense" scripts: https://sites.google.com/site/pocketsen ... eyfixp1/p2 It takes a bit of work to get everything set up (in particularly, finding the correct configuration for certain banks/brokers.

However once set up I've had no problems downloading transactions from a variety of organizations: Amex, citi, vanguard, various credit unions, fidelity, etc. This makes keeping accounts up-to-date very easy. I would hate to go back to downloading QIF or CSV files from each web site and manually importing them.

lebewohl

Postby lebewohl » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:12 pm

Thanks everyone. I'll give Personal Capital a shot. Not interested in a subscription based one right now. If I am, I will definitely take a hard look at YNAB - seems to be the most promising one.

MBESSER

Postby MBESSER » Thu Mar 16, 2017 9:16 pm

stevethefundguy wrote:Likewise, I still use my many-years-old Microsoft Money. I tried Quicken and was stunned by how inferior it was. But Money no longer automatically updates mutual fund/ETF daily prices, so every so often I have to do that manually. Microsoft could easily have kept that function available so it's particularly irksome.

Older versions of Money available online for purchase, and a Money Plus "sunset" version is downloadable at no cost.

To Stevethefundguy -

I, too, have not been able to let go of my Microsoft Money. A couple years ago I came across this JAVA script for updating Mutual Fund and Stock prices in my Money file. I run the Java script at the end of the day and it pulls in all the updated share prices. I save the output as a file that mimics an account statement. Then I just import that account statement into my MS Money file and all my funds/stocks are updated. This will likely keep me on MS Money for many more years. Good Luck

http://moneymvps.org/faq/article/651.aspx

jamesthebaker

Postby jamesthebaker » Sun May 14, 2017 7:46 am

amoose wrote:I use Microsoft Money Sunset Edition, which is completely free for download: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downloa ... x?id=20738

To updated my accounts, I use the "pocketsense" scripts: https://sites.google.com/site/pocketsen ... eyfixp1/p2 It takes a bit of work to get everything set up (in particularly, finding the correct configuration for certain banks/brokers.

However once set up I've had no problems downloading transactions from a variety of organizations: Amex, citi, vanguard, various credit unions, fidelity, etc. This makes keeping accounts up-to-date very easy. I would hate to go back to downloading QIF or CSV files from each web site and manually importing them.

The above is exactly what I do and it works perfectly. It's almost as good as the old days when Money was still connected. If you want real time stock pricing, try MSMoneyQuotes from Gaier software.

I've used Quicken for the past 5 years or so and have gone back to Money. Sick and tired of annoying bugs and ineffective customer support from Quicken. Moreover, I just like the "feel" of Money better. Much more elegant in my opinion.

heartwood

Postby heartwood » Sun May 14, 2017 8:42 am

I've been putting off installing the Windows 10 Creators Update for fear that it will disable MS Money, which has worked in W10 so far.

Anyone using Money and done the update?

My main laptop is a chromebook. I love it, but use my wife's windows 10 laptop to access many years of Money.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun May 14, 2017 8:59 am

MoneyDance. From my previous post: Subject: Quicken's future direction - a cause for concern

LadyGeek wrote:
TimeRunner wrote:Moneydance isn't as evolved, but it doesn't have these issues. I'm still running it in parallel, but I do think I could drop Quicken and be mostly happy with it.

I just downloaded the trial version of Moneydance, which is the full version with a limit of 100 manual transaction entries. The trial version has no limit of automated downloads, so I was able to give it a full checkout for all of my financial institutions. I had no problems whatsoever using the QFX format, including Vanguard and my employer's 401(k).

My initial impression was very positive. It only took a few minutes to figure out the user interface, as I was used to Quicken. The layout and report formats are what one would expect. In comparison, Quicken's report formats are constrained and clunky.

My next test was importing my Quicken info. Following the instructions here, Moneydance imported my info just fine (be sure to check all the boxes in the Quicken export menu). The only problems were that the balances on two accounts were off. Why? The QIF had duplicate entries but looked OK in Quicken. After removing the duplicates, everything agreed.

The software isn't perfect and has a few quirks (like not being able to sort the sidebar account order, a very minor nit). That being said, I felt confident that Moneydance could replace Quicken and purchased the license key.

Next, Moneydance's license agreement is much better than Quicken. See: How Many License Keys do I Need?

I'm allowed as many computers as I want within my household. Not to mention that Moneydance also works in Linux, as my main desktop is dual-boot Linux / Win 7. As for purchasing Moneydance, pay attention to the last paragraph. Downloading from amazon.com will lock you in to amazon.com's license agreement. Additionally, Moneydance offers a 90 day refund guarantee. I don't know what amazon.com would do if you weren't happy.

Don't buy from amazon.com, go to Moneydance and purchase from them directly. The $49.99 listed price is the same, but the Moneydance purchase checkout screen has an entry for "Discount code". A quick google search shows Moneydance's Facebook page has a 20% discount code: "DANCEFB2017". Works fine, I got Moneydance for $39.99.

I'll be transitioning from Quicken to Moneydance and then cut out Quicken completely.

I have since completed the transition and don't see any reason to go back.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Duplexdude

Postby Duplexdude » Sun May 14, 2017 10:49 am

This looks like a cool App with no up front or recurring cost its from vertex42

https://www.vertex42.com/ExcelTemplates ... plate.html

marge-g

Postby marge-g » Fri May 19, 2017 2:07 pm

Here are some thoughts from a long-time personal finance software user (From Andrew Tobias’s “Managing Your Money”, to Microsoft Money, to Quicken)

1. Old data does not convert well, unless yours is small and simple. Unlikely that the new software that you switch to will correctly convert data to a usable form going forward. Switch at year-end and start with a new, clean, database in the new product. Keep your old tool as read-only reference.

2. MS Money was the most stable and had the best interface. Why Microsoft simply killed it, vs. selling to someone who would keep it going, is a mystery. The “sunset” version is free and usable, although it lacks transaction and price download capability, making it not very useful to most.

3. Quicken is the best current option, although the it is going to an annual subscription fee (freezing your data otherwise..) and has not gotten any noteworthy improvements for years, despite charging for forced new releases. Use it as it it, for as long as it lasts, and hope annual fees are reasonable.

4. If you are used to Money or Quicken, other current alternatives will disappoint. They are mostly usable, but all lack features and none have the easy user interface that you are used to.

5. Mint or a similar on line tool? Upload ALL of your financial institution’s logins and passwords to a single web site… What could possibly go wrong there? One hack, however unlikely, would prove to be total financial disaster for users. Is it worth the risk?

6. Excel. OK, if you are an Excel expert and are really into building and maintaining complex spreadsheets. Detecting, finding, and fixing spreadsheet errors is not fun. Transaction downloads are problematic and complex, and require a lot of manual effort. Easy of use? Can your spouse figure it out, should you kick the bucket?

7. Bill-pay. Use your bank's web site, along with auto-pay as needed for specific vendors. (Hint: run all payments through a no-fee credit card that pays cash-back, and pay that in full monthly.)

Me?

I have a read-only Microsoft Money database with 15+ years of data, on an old Windows XP box that is never on the Internet and is turned on only to look at the Money data – a couple of times per year, at most).

I have 8 years of data in my actively used Quicken tool. I grumble and pay the subscription “upgrade” fees when forced to, and hope that the software update does not screw up anything that is currently working or corrupt my data. I have little optimism for the future of Quicken under its new owner.

I have excellent backups. When the day comes that Quicken stops working, I’ll restore my most recent version on an old dedicated PC, kept off of the Internet, and use that as a read-only reference, as I start fresh with a desktop software product that is the least disappointing.

I’m working to simplify my finances by reducing the number of institutions that I deal with and having only 2 credit cards and a checking account for spending/budgeting. I’ve consolidated all of my investment accounts with one institution and get excellent tracking and reporting there. Payment due reminders, balance tracking, and access to transaction detail for monthly spending are the only really important capabilities that I need. Worst case, I can set up a manual process of checking less than a half dozen financial institution web sites, perhaps coordinated with a simple spreadsheet or reminders in a calendar tool.

SarahShaw

Postby SarahShaw » Fri May 19, 2017 11:19 pm

The conversion of my roughly 10 years of data from MS Money to Qucken went very smoothly. They only thing that I had trouble with was converting over accounts in which not all of the investments were denominated in the same currency (you can only use one currency per account in Quicken). But aside from that currency limitation, I've found that Quicken gives me pretty much the same functionality as MS Money did.

spammagnet

Postby spammagnet » Fri May 19, 2017 11:31 pm

Does anyone have experience migrating from a recent version of Quicken back to MS Money Sunset? I want to play with Money + python scripts to see if that's a reasonable alternative to Quicken.

Thanks

BigJohn

Postby BigJohn » Sat May 20, 2017 5:52 pm

GLState wrote:I would suggest downloading the free Microsoft Money Sunset edition.

I bought a new computer a few months back and was anxious about what would happen to my old MS Money program and files. I downloaded the Sunset edition and found it was a very easy transition. It loaded without issue and opened my old files without a hitch.

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”