Vanguard Web Site Down?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Toast_the_Knowing

Re: Vanguard Web Site Down?

Postby Toast_the_Knowing » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:23 am

What a bunch of crybabies. Things happen. If you are truly a "stay the course" investor, surely your plan can survive this minor inconvenience.

Jcraz13

Postby Jcraz13 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:23 am

wolf359 wrote:Man, I remember when I got my account updates by reading my statement that was mailed to me once a month. My contributions were mailed in by check. I could send instructions by letter. It was really cool when I could change money between accounts by calling an automated phone system (they called it telephone switching.)

If they don't respond to letters, I'd get concerned. I already have a problem with checking the balance on my mutual funds multiple times a day (no, it didn't change -- it's only updated once a day.)

If you really have to place a trade, give them a call. Or send a letter.

We are not talking about the eighties or nineties here..the world has changed. Everything is online. I get what you are saying about if I really needed to place the trade right now to call (I don't , it is not that urgent) but that is not the point. The point is Fidelity is up, T. Rowe Price is up, Schwab is up, you can trade there..you can't at Vanguard.

Life has sped up, texts, cells, computers, etc. We an argue whether that is good or bad, but if you fall behind, your competitors will eat your lunch.

No excuse for this for this length of time. And if you can access the site you should be able to trade.

themesrob

Postby themesrob » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:24 am

it was down for me, now it's back up and running. Everything appears normal.

jhfenton

Postby jhfenton » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:25 am

I can log in, but trying to place an ETF buy, it says that orders cannot be placed online at this time.

Edited: The app doesn't work either. Same message.

Paul Romano

Postby Paul Romano » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:34 am

I just tried to place a trade and received a message that I would need to call. That trades could not be placed online at this time. 10:30'AM.

indexfundfan

Postby indexfundfan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:37 am

Just placed a trade. It's working for me now.
My signature has been deleted.

jhfenton

Postby jhfenton » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:40 am

indexfundfan wrote:Just placed a trade. It's working for me now.

Not for me. I went out and went back in, and I still can't buy an ETF.

magellan

Re: Vanguard seems to have gone off the grid

Postby magellan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:40 am

I'm in now too. I had planned to do my taxes this morning and needed to pull the Vanguard tax forms down from their site. Not the end of the world of course, but it did manage to mess up my schedule for the day and unless Vanguard can explain why it happened, what they've done to prevent it from happening again, and how they'll do a better job maintaining communications during outages, they shouldn't get a pass.

These 'minor' downtime issues coupled with Vanguard's leaving us all completely in the dark during the outage are inconsistent with modern best practices. Frankly, to me they signal a lack of operational competence at a fairly high level at Vanguard.

At a minimum, the main website should have had a banner on it saying that the login portal was having issues. They should have also made a post on twitter. This isn't hard stuff, and even though nobody died or anything, those simple steps would let folks know what's going on. Also, to me they're an indication that Vanguard has thought this stuff through and that they have sound contingency plans for when bad stuff happens.
Last edited by magellan on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

blevine

Postby blevine » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:44 am

I have worked for many fund managers in IT over decades, and at a trade show met some of Vanguard's top managers
many years ago. I can tell you they were the most backwards of the large fund companies in terms of tech investment.
You don't get cheap ER from a high spending fund manager. IT is expensive.

The ONLY fund manager I found spends lots of $ on tech, was BlackRock.
Not surprisingly, they have higher cost ETFs and the excessively high cost active funds.
In that case, you do get what you pay for. Their tech is so good they sell it to other fund managers,
for big $.

Personally I have no issue using Vanguard and Tsy Direct (which is also bad tech but cheap investing costs - none),
for my long term investments. I don't need to check on the value of my IRA nor savings bonds daily, and even my taxable
accounts, I don't use for daily spending nor would I day trade.

For daily expenses I have redundancy (3 online bill pay accts) and 2 of the 3 are MAJOR institutions that spend on tech.
I don't care if they are the most economical, I care they are up and running.
One of them is also a broker I could use for day trading, if I so chose again (as I did in the past - long recovered from that disease).
I would NEVER use Vanguard as a CUSTODIAN for bill payments, for 529 (tuition bills have to be paid on time) etc.
I never trusted their IT and their growth is straining it further. But owning a Vanguard fund in a different custodian, which has reliable access
to your funds, no issue with that. I have a 529 with Vanguard funds but not run by Vanguard in terms of service and online access.
Best of both worlds if you ask me. My 529 provider has NEVER been down when I need to pay my kids tuition.

White Coat Investor

Postby White Coat Investor » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:45 am

Dan999 wrote:I had split my $ between Fido and Vanguard just for this reason. Then last year I combined it all into Vanguard.
Maybe not such a good idea. I will give them this one, but if it happens again, I guess I will take half back to Fidelity.
Dan999

You split your money so you wouldn't have to deal with 12 minute periods where you couldn't look at your balance?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

magellan

Postby magellan » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:46 am

White Coat Investor wrote:You split your money so you wouldn't have to deal with 12 minute periods where you couldn't look at your balance?

Today's downtime was well over an hour, probably closer to two.

tractorguy

Postby tractorguy » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:46 am

I just logged in and checked balances with no problems. 9:45 Central time. I did the the conversion to brokerage account a while back (which went off with no problems) so I can't say if the old style mutual fund accounts are working OK.
Lorne

MFInvestor

Postby MFInvestor » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:49 am

I am trying to buy a Vanguard ETF online and getting the following message:

Frustrating.

Orders can't be placed online at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you'd like to place a trade during regular market hours, call us at 800-992-8327. 

Wakefield1

Postby Wakefield1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:49 am

My guess is a hack attack where some group launches myriads of spurious spammed log on attempts via botnets

Dan999

Postby Dan999 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:50 am

I do not mind the 1 or 2 hour downtime, it is the fact that things do go wrong, and this is a reminder.
I have been with Vanguard for 20 years.
Dan999

goingup

Postby goingup » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:51 am

The level of impatience about a brief interruption of service is a little over the top.

Banks, airline reservations, 401K administrators, hotel web-sites, Bogleheads.org, and even mutual fund companies occasionally go off-line. This is the modern world.

jhfenton

Postby jhfenton » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:53 am

blevine wrote:Personally I have no issue using Vanguard and Tsy Direct (which is also bad tech but cheap investing costs - none),
for my long term investments. I don't need to check on the value of my IRA nor savings bonds daily, and even my taxable
accounts, I don't use for daily spending nor would I day trade.

Agreed. I have no major concerns using Vanguard. I do nothing with them that is truly time sensitive.

I was at TD Ameritrade for nearly 20 years, and they had occasional brokerage outages too, including once in 2015 on a day when the market was very volatile. I saw lots of angry folks on Twitter.

jhfenton

Postby jhfenton » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:54 am

MFInvestor wrote:I am trying to buy a Vanguard ETF online and getting the following message:

Frustrating.

Orders can't be placed online at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you'd like to place a trade during regular market hours, call us at 800-992-8327. 

I am still getting that message as well, on the web and in the iPad app.

ResearchMed

Postby ResearchMed » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:55 am

White Coat Investor wrote:
Dan999 wrote:I had split my $ between Fido and Vanguard just for this reason. Then last year I combined it all into Vanguard.
Maybe not such a good idea. I will give them this one, but if it happens again, I guess I will take half back to Fidelity.
Dan999

You split your money so you wouldn't have to deal with 12 minute periods where you couldn't look at your balance?

No.

In case there is a longer outage. Much longer.
There are enough bad actors out there that this isn't inconceivable.

We (mostly, I guess...?) trust that sooner or later, we'd have our money/access to it, but in the meantime?
And importantly, there's just about zero cost (or close enough) to having funds at more than one financial institution.

For now, we must: TIAA Trad and TREA aren't avail at Vanguard, and only a very limited selection of TIAA mutual funds are available in our 403b's; nothing from any other mutual fund family.
But we'll keep things "split" for as long as I can imagine...

Same thing with our taxable "need frequent access" money. Accounts at Schwab and BoA, both of which are nearby.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Novagentleman

Postby Novagentleman » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:57 am

NO ONLINE TRADING AVAILABLE ALL MORNING FOR ME! 10:58AM

I will remember to use Fidelity to make any "time sensitive" trades PLUS they offer me better services & options than Vanguard.

"Orders can't be placed online at this time. We apologize for the inconvenience. If you'd like to place a trade during regular market hours, call us at 800-992-8327."

small_index

Postby small_index » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:04 am

Also seeing that problem, and starting to think it will be 4 days before I can check if it's fixed.
Besides this weekend, Monday is an NYSE holiday.

wolf359

Postby wolf359 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:08 am

Jcraz13 wrote:
wolf359 wrote:Man, I remember when I got my account updates by reading my statement that was mailed to me once a month. My contributions were mailed in by check. I could send instructions by letter. It was really cool when I could change money between accounts by calling an automated phone system (they called it telephone switching.)

If they don't respond to letters, I'd get concerned. I already have a problem with checking the balance on my mutual funds multiple times a day (no, it didn't change -- it's only updated once a day.)

If you really have to place a trade, give them a call. Or send a letter.

We are not talking about the eighties or nineties here..the world has changed. Everything is online. I get what you are saying about if I really needed to place the trade right now to call (I don't , it is not that urgent) but that is not the point. The point is Fidelity is up, T. Rowe Price is up, Schwab is up, you can trade there..you can't at Vanguard.

Life has sped up, texts, cells, computers, etc. We an argue whether that is good or bad, but if you fall behind, your competitors will eat your lunch.

No excuse for this for this length of time. And if you can access the site you should be able to trade.

We're not talking about day trading, either. Today just happens to be the first time I'm placing a brokerage trade through them (versus using their mutual funds).

If I were burning up the lines, must place this trade in the next 15 minutes, time is money -- I'd be concerned. This is an ETF trade where I've decided to re-adjust my portfolio for a long-term investment. A day doesn't matter that much for a 20 year holding period.

Vanguard will probably lose all the day traders over this one. However, they're already a terrible place for day traders to be.

If it bugs you, take your business somewhere else. Boglehead strategy works perfectly fine with any number of low-cost providers.

Grasshopper

Postby Grasshopper » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:16 am

I had TurboTax download my Vanguard consolidated in the morning Thursday and my 1040 filed by noon. I was really all done except the foreign tax credit on February 1. :beer

Thursday after lunch I went to my Wells Fargo ATM, guess what the ATM had a display screen, that it wouldn't accept deposits. Well I should just withdrawal all my accounts. :oops:

DEZ1

Postby DEZ1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:16 am

its you, i just got on, no problems

Wakefield1

Postby Wakefield1 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:18 am

goingup wrote:The level of impatience about a brief interruption of service is a little over the top.

At least 3 different threads at this time.
If I need immediate cash I will go to the Credit Union!

jhfenton

Postby jhfenton » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:20 am

DEZ1 wrote:its you, i just got on, no problems

Now, it is working. It was down completely. And then trading was down.

But I just placed an ETF order.

Alchemist

Postby Alchemist » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:34 am

Seems to be working fine for me now. Was working fine last night as well when I downloaded my tax documents. The only thing that gives me pause with Vanguard is the inability to get away from SMS 2FA. I would prefer to be able to use just the yubikey for 2FA or at the least something like Symantec VIP one time codes like I have with USAA.

Ultimately to me Vanguard security is best insured by two things:

1) Promise of fund replacement in case of fraud, so long as you follow their security recommendations

2) The fact that it is owned by its members keeps its priorities in the right orientation, as in no motivation to cut dangerous corners and cover it up in order to goose profits quarter to quarter.

tampaite

Postby tampaite » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:39 am

Working now.

Vanguards needs to maintain availability of IT systems during trading hours. I would be less upset if this occurred after-hours.

Hayden

Postby Hayden » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:13 pm

I can't even get to the homepage

jhfenton

Postby jhfenton » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:23 pm

Hayden wrote:I can't even get to the homepage

It is fully functional for me now.

Jcraz13

Postby Jcraz13 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:43 pm

No, it wasn't isolated. Massive outage for several hours, appears to be fixed. Unacceptable it was down when market opened for several hours. If at night or for servicing, understood.

friar1610

Postby friar1610 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:54 pm

goingup wrote:The level of impatience about a brief interruption of service is a little over the top.

Banks, airline reservations, 401K administrators, hotel web-sites, Bogleheads.org, and even mutual fund companies occasionally go off-line. This is the modern world.

+1 (Although I admit that I was not hot to get anything done during the outage. As a retiree I hope I would have just taken a nap and tried later.) :happy
Friar1610

92irish

Postby 92irish » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:58 pm

Wakefield1 wrote:My guess is a hack attack where some group launches myriads of spurious spammed log on attempts via botnets

This sort of thing happened to my Schwab account a couple years ago - I think they call them DNS attacks. It happened several times over a period of a few weeks. It was quite a news story at the time.

Unfortunately this seems to be a plague in our internet economy that can happen to anyone.

Broken Man 1999

Postby Broken Man 1999 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:41 pm

Jcraz13 wrote:

No, it wasn't isolated. Massive outage for several hours, appears to be fixed. Unacceptable it was down when market opened for several hours. If at night or for servicing, understood.

Really? SEVERAL hours?

Strange thing is I opened an account for BIL, and did some housekeeping on my own accounts earlier today, and never once encountered any disruption at all.

So, forgive me but I believe your "several hours" statement might be a wee bit exaggerated.

Broken Man 1999

prudent

Postby prudent » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:55 pm

Merged another thread on the same topic into here.

Jcraz13

Postby Jcraz13 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:08 pm

Broken Man 1999 wrote:
Jcraz13 wrote:

Really? SEVERAL hours?

Strange thing is I opened an account for BIL, and did some housekeeping on my own accounts earlier today, and never once encountered any disruption at all.

So, forgive me but I believe your "several hours" statement might be a wee bit exaggerated.

Broken Man 1999

Broken Man 1999,

Vanguard was down for me from the market open , which is
730 Am MST, to 11 am MST. It was not exaggerated , and the
number of posters verify that .

Yes , I know in the big picture there are much worse things. However , this was not a few minutes or at night , this was at market open and lasted several hours .

Others might have accessed the site earlier than I could , but I'm not exaggerating .

So please forgive me , but you are not correct and it was not exaggerated , at least for myself and a number of others .

Paul Romano

Postby Paul Romano » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:30 pm

Hopefully this is a true statement about the website being available 24/7

Vanguard‏ @Vanguard_Group

Our offices will be closed on Monday for Presidents' Day. Our website and app are available 24/7 for your account needs.

4:00 PM · Feb 17, 2017

pyld76

Postby pyld76 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:52 pm

HueyLD wrote:That's why it is a good idea to not put all your eggs in one basket.

What specifically do you lose (for a long term investor), with, let's say, an entire day of downtime?

(going to stipulate upfront that I only have one account/"capacity" which exceeds the SIPC maximums, myself).

The account in question is my workplace 401k. At Fidelity. Which has, in my tenure with them, had 12 hour outages on the netbenefits side.

Of all the account types I have discretion to place, I keep all mine at VG. "eggs in one basket" risk is somewhere below about the 22nd reason I question myself on that....

selftalk

Postby selftalk » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:05 pm

What would John Bogle say about this ? It`s very aggravating and will no doubt cause some people to switch brokers in full and/ in part.Vanguard better give a good explanation.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Postby nisiprius » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:19 pm

(Shrug) Not everybody needs to react the same way. I think it's reasonable to expect a big financial institution like Vanguard to have a website that runs 24x7 with very high availability (except for a very small number of preannounced maintenance down periods). I think it's reasonable to expect near-perfect availability when the markets are open. Based on this thread, I think Vanguard should be embarrassed.

Because I'm lazy, because I think it's important that my wife be able to navigate our finances and she knows the Vanguard website, because this particular outage didn't happen to affect me, and because I don't make time-critical ETF transactions, I'm not going to switch, even if I suspect that Vanguard might be having growing pains. I'm willing to tolerate it. Even if it had affected me, I'd tolerate it once. Maybe twice.

But I'm certainly not going to argue with anyone who thinks they are seeing subpar service.

Dave Barry had a funny column once in which he complained that over the years, he had so often said of local businesses "I'll never shop there any more," that now every business within ten miles was on his ---- list and he had to drive ten miles to do anything!
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

VictoriaF

Postby VictoriaF » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:25 pm

The Wizard wrote:They are trying to fix the 48 cent IRA shortfall problem!!
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=211306

As they should. Recall Clifford Stoll's The Cuckoo's Egg: Tracking a Spy Through the Maze of Computer Espionage where trying to resolve a $0.75 accounting error has lead to uncovering breaches of the defense systems.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

White Coat Investor

Postby White Coat Investor » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:37 am

Dan999 wrote:I do not mind the 1 or 2 hour downtime, it is the fact that things do go wrong, and this is a reminder.
I have been with Vanguard for 20 years.
Dan999

Now that makes sense.

But my emergency fund will last me at least 2 hours. :)
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

StevieG72

Postby StevieG72 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:52 am

I missed all of the excitement, slept in yesterday.
Fools think their own way is right, but the wise listen to others.

GKSD

Postby GKSD » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:21 am

News is in the journal today

https://www.wsj.com/articles/index-fund-giant-vanguards-website-suffers-outage-1487379779

The problem was caused by an error during a planned technology update, a spokeswoman said. Full online functionality was fixed in under two hours and the majority of Vanguard’s “web functionality” was restored within an hour, she added.

Several clients were unable to log in and complete transactions while the website was down. Customers unable to log on or trade also complained about long wait times when they called the company. Some took to Twitter and bogleheads.org, a popular online investing forum named after company founder John C. Bogle, to complain.

The spokesman acknowledged that the volume of business that has come with Vanguard’s growth had “challenged—at times—our ability to provide the level of service that our client expect and deserve,” and said the firm is hiring additional staff and “making significant investments” in its technology.

tibbitts

Postby tibbitts » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:27 am

selftalk wrote:What would John Bogle say about this ? It`s very aggravating and will no doubt cause some people to switch brokers in full and/ in part.Vanguard better give a good explanation.

He would say that if it was possible to squeeze another .01% out of the expense ratio, shutting the website down entirely for a couple of days a week would be a worthwhile tradeoff. He wasn't exactly known for investing in IT and I'm guessing he doesn't fully accept that 24/7 operation is particularly important or advantageous to VG or to investors.

Wakefield1

Postby Wakefield1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:18 pm

Didn't Mr. Bogle reject taking on new accounts at times when he thought the funds he was associated with had too much new money coming in to handle ?
I don't think Mr. Bogle has anything to do with the day to day operations at Vanguard now and may or may not see eye to eye with the present management.

Wakefield1

Postby Wakefield1 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:24 pm

GKSD wrote:News is in the journal today

https://www.wsj.com/articles/index-fund-giant-vanguards-website-suffers-outage-1487379779

The problem was caused by an error during a planned technology update, a spokeswoman said. Full online functionality was fixed in under two hours and the majority of Vanguard’s “web functionality” was restored within an hour, she added.

Several clients were unable to log in and complete transactions while the website was down. Customers unable to log on or trade also complained about long wait times when they called the company. Some took to Twitter and bogleheads.org, a popular online investing forum named after company founder John C. Bogle, to complain.

The spokesman acknowledged that the volume of business that has come with Vanguard’s growth had “challenged—at times—our ability to provide the level of service that our client expect and deserve,” and said the firm is hiring additional staff and “making significant investments” in its technology.

It would be well for Vanguard to warn clients ahead of time or at least post on the main WEB portal of upcoming maintenance on the Internet Account Access system that could potentially cause the system to go down or interfere with online account access or transacting during whatever expected time window.

tibbitts

Postby tibbitts » Sat Feb 18, 2017 4:40 pm

Wakefield1 wrote:Didn't Mr. Bogle reject taking on new accounts at times when he thought the funds he was associated with had too much new money coming in to handle ?
I don't think Mr. Bogle has anything to do with the day to day operations at Vanguard now and may or may not see eye to eye with the present management.

Mutual fund companies close funds from time-to-time, but in the case of VG I believe far more funds have been closed in the post-Bogle era. I don't actually remember a fund being close during Bogle's tenure, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened. Bogle departed VG involuntarily and on less than good terms with VG management at the time, and of course has nothing to do with operations now.

tibbitts

Postby tibbitts » Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:06 pm

Wakefield1 wrote:
GKSD wrote:News is in the journal today

It would be well for Vanguard to warn clients ahead of time or at least post on the main WEB portal of upcoming maintenance on the Internet Account Access system that could potentially cause the system to go down or interfere with online account access or transacting during whatever expected time window.

I can't read the rest of the article, but updates and maintenance happen continuously, and nobody is going to announce every operation to the public. Does anyone ever receive any notification from any provider for events that the provider doesn't believe will cause an outage? Sometimes multiple failures would have to occur simultaneously to cause an outage - and as luck would have it, they do.

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”