Turbo Tax only reading 1st page of 1099-INT

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
AlwaysaQ
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:37 am

Turbo Tax only reading 1st page of 1099-INT

Postby AlwaysaQ » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:45 pm

Have the downloaded version of Turbo Tax Premier. Tried to import my 1099-INT from Ally Bank which is 3 pages and it only read the first page. I had to amend the data. Just a warning.

User avatar
tfb
Posts: 7628
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Turbo Tax only reading 1st page of 1099-INT

Postby tfb » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:14 am

All my 1099-INTs have only one number. They are not worth importing.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

MisterBill
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Turbo Tax only reading 1st page of 1099-INT

Postby MisterBill » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:32 am

AlwaysaQ wrote:Have the downloaded version of Turbo Tax Premier. Tried to import my 1099-INT from Ally Bank which is 3 pages and it only read the first page. I had to amend the data. Just a warning.

What is it missing? Are you saying that the total doesn't match what's on the paper form?

I have a problem with my Fidelity 1099, when I import it, it's missing the 1099-MISC portion from a signup bonus I received. But I don't know whose fault that is.

AlwaysaQ
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:37 am

Re: Turbo Tax only reading 1st page of 1099-INT

Postby AlwaysaQ » Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:47 am

tfb - True that is just as easy to simply enter the data from the 1099-INT. I was basically testing the import feature since it was the first time I have actually used TurboTax. I tried the product one year and gave up on it but I thought I'd try it again.

MisterBill - I have a savings account and 3 CDs. The first two pages had info for each separately; the third page was the combined total and the one I entered manually. It is just the way Ally does it; my credit union 1099-INT just reported the combined total.

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 4826
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Turbo Tax only reading 1st page of 1099-INT

Postby HueyLD » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:27 am

AlwaysaQ wrote:tfb - True that is just as easy to simply enter the data from the 1099-INT. I was basically testing the import feature since it was the first time I have actually used TurboTax. I tried the product one year and gave up on it but I thought I'd try it again.

MisterBill - I have a savings account and 3 CDs. The first two pages had info for each separately; the third page was the combined total and the one I entered manually. It is just the way Ally does it; my credit union 1099-INT just reported the combined total.

Did TurboTax import interest from each account (total of four) or did it only import whatever is on the first page of the 1099-INT?

User avatar
tfb
Posts: 7628
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Turbo Tax only reading 1st page of 1099-INT

Postby tfb » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:38 am

AlwaysaQ wrote:tfb - True that is just as easy to simply enter the data from the 1099-INT. I was basically testing the import feature since it was the first time I have actually used TurboTax. I tried the product one year and gave up on it but I thought I'd try it again.

MisterBill - I have a savings account and 3 CDs. The first two pages had info for each separately; the third page was the combined total and the one I entered manually. It is just the way Ally does it; my credit union 1099-INT just reported the combined total.

When you refer to "pages" perhaps you were importing a pdf. When you import a pdf, you are supposed to feed it the actual form, not a file with cover pages or supporting details. If you try to import the data feed directly from the financial institution, not via a pdf, I suppose it will have only the actual 1099 data. Either way, importing doesn't mean you don't look at what's been imported. Because I will have to double check anyway, I never import, especially the 1099-INTs with only one number.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

pshonore
Posts: 5267
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Turbo Tax only reading 1st page of 1099-INT

Postby pshonore » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:47 am

There are also .txf files which I believe are designed to work with Turbo Tax and possibly other software, although I don't know if the brokers are producing those. I have seen some for K1 forms. Agree its probably better to manually input unless you've got a large numbers of 1099B transactions. That way you won't miss things and it might make you aware of something that you otherwise wouldn't notice.

AlwaysaQ
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:37 am

Re: Turbo Tax only reading 1st page of 1099-INT

Postby AlwaysaQ » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:20 am

tfb - I did import directly from Ally; didn't know you could do it any other way.

I have the problem fixed - I was only trying to warn others who may be new to this.

User avatar
tfb
Posts: 7628
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: Turbo Tax only reading 1st page of 1099-INT

Postby tfb » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:32 am

AlwaysaQ wrote:tfb - I did import directly from Ally; didn't know you could do it any other way.

I have the problem fixed - I was only trying to warn others who may be new to this.

Because you don't get to see what's in the data stream it could be a problem created by Ally. Or you were expected to import separately for each account number. That's another reason I don't like importing. You don't know what's coming down the pipe.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

MisterBill
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Turbo Tax only reading 1st page of 1099-INT

Postby MisterBill » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:02 am

AlwaysaQ wrote:MisterBill - I have a savings account and 3 CDs. The first two pages had info for each separately; the third page was the combined total and the one I entered manually. It is just the way Ally does it; my credit union 1099-INT just reported the combined total.

Your post here is still confusing. You keep talking about pages and not accounts. It's not downloading a PDF file and reading it, it's downloading data from Ally and processing it. And it should have information for all of your accounts. It may just have the total rather than itemizing it by account.

I think you're saying that you had 3 accounts but that Turbotax only received data for one. You should report that to Ally or Turbotax as it shouldn't be doing that.

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 4826
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Turbo Tax only reading 1st page of 1099-INT

Postby HueyLD » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:51 am

I think the problem is Ally's and the OP should report the import problem to Ally.

Ally's 1099-INT shows interest by account and each account has its own 1099-INT and the layout only allows two 1099-INT's per page. As a result, the third account's 1099-INT is pushed to the next page. However, instead of showing such 1099-INT info on page two, Ally populates page two with 1099-INT instructions and thus pushes it to page three.

I think the tax software stops importing because the 1099-INT data is not continuous.

AlwaysaQ
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:37 am

Re: Turbo Tax only reading 1st page of 1099-INT

Postby AlwaysaQ » Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:45 am

MisterBill - I have 4 accounts and TurboTax only imported 2 of them. It created two line items; one for the savings account and one for the first CD. I deleted both line items and manually created one with the combined total of all accounts.

HueyLD - Yes I should report the error to TurboTax.

MisterBill
Posts: 134
Joined: Thu Dec 24, 2015 3:21 pm

Re: Turbo Tax only reading 1st page of 1099-INT

Postby MisterBill » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:15 pm

HueyLD wrote:Ally's 1099-INT shows interest by account and each account has its own 1099-INT and the layout only allows two 1099-INT's per page. As a result, the third account's 1099-INT is pushed to the next page. However, instead of showing such 1099-INT info on page two, Ally populates page two with 1099-INT instructions and thus pushes it to page three.

I think the tax software stops importing because the 1099-INT data is not continuous.

You make it seem like Turbotax is downloading and parsing the PDF version of the 1099. There's no way it is doing this. It's downloading the actual data. If two accounts are missing, it's likely an Ally problem, although it could conceivable be TT.

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 4826
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Turbo Tax only reading 1st page of 1099-INT

Postby HueyLD » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:18 pm

Read what I wrote again. I said: "I think the problem is Ally's and the OP should report the import problem to Ally."

AlwaysaQ
Posts: 408
Joined: Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:37 am

Re: Turbo Tax only reading 1st page of 1099-INT

Postby AlwaysaQ » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:59 pm

Whatever the problem is it's between the two of them. I'm not reporting it to either; I have the data I need.


Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: azanon, Bing [Bot], dbltrbl, EATaxGuy, gilgamesh, Hef Saf, Jackson12, kaudrey, Nova1967, TheGreyingDuke, Wagnerjb and 62 guests