Vanguard Trust Services

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
spartanap

Vanguard Trust Services

Post by spartanap »

I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who have experience using Vanguard Trust Services. I've tried contacting them several times but have not been able to get anyone to answer. I'm instructed to leave my name and number and they will get back with me within two business days. I haven't been contacted yet. It appears they aren't too worried about taking on new business. Thanks for any feedback you might have.
CaliJim

Re: Vanguard Trust Services

Post by CaliJim »

I've not used them...but I an curious. Let us know how your experience goes.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
gregchesney

Post by gregchesney »

There's a fair amount of information on the website in regards to capabilities and pricing. When I dealt with them previously, I had the initial appointment set up using my flagship rep and had no problems. If you have one, try that.
FCM

Post by FCM »

My wife and I had no problem establishing Vanguard trust services as our successor trustee back in 2008. We did it via telephone calls and "snail-mail." However, we haven't had to deal with them recently (fortunately!) since dealing with them now would mean that one or both of us would have died or have been severely incapacitated, necessitating the need for Vanguard to take over managing our investments.
dbr

Post by dbr »

spartanap wrote:I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who have experience using Vanguard Trust Services. I've tried contacting them several times but have not been able to get anyone to answer. I'm instructed to leave my name and number and they will get back with me within two business days. I haven't been contacted yet. It appears they aren't too worried about taking on new business. Thanks for any feedback you might have.
Why on earth would you leave something that important to someone who will not even answer the phone in the first place?
Topic Author
spartanap

Post by spartanap »

dbr wrote:
spartanap wrote:I'd like to get some feedback from those of you who have experience using Vanguard Trust Services. I've tried contacting them several times but have not been able to get anyone to answer. I'm instructed to leave my name and number and they will get back with me within two business days. I haven't been contacted yet. It appears they aren't too worried about taking on new business. Thanks for any feedback you might have.
Why on earth would you leave something that important to someone who will not even answer the phone in the first place?

Obviously, since they won't return my calls, I won't be doing business with them. I am helping out my father-in-law and wanted to gather some information in order to provide some comparisons.

I also had trouble finding any information concerning fees on their website. If someone can provide a link, I would appreciate it.
gregchesney

Post by gregchesney »

Here is a link to their brochure which includes fees.

https://personal.vanguard.com/pdf/eptsb.pdf
Cyclesafe

Post by Cyclesafe »

Within the past two years Vanguard has tightened up their criteria for accepting successor trusteeships. Your trust must keep them involved for a meaningful period after your demise. They are not interested in merely helping your "beneficiaries" get what's theirs in a cost effective manner. They want to be able to remain a trustee for a number of years before they want to get involved. In any case, they reserve the right to not accept successive trusteeships if their criteria at the time of need are not met. I think it's better to deal with a local attorney and a smart, honest relative.

We had Vanguard as a successive trustee, but we no longer have their involvement. Better to train up a young relative and hope for the best.....
"Plans are useless; planning is indispensable.” (Dwight Eisenhower) | "Man plans, God laughs" (Yiddish proverb)
RandomPointer

Post by RandomPointer »

I called their number, and I was able to talk directly to the right person.

We exchanged emails, and the representative gave me documents, I forwarded the doc to my attorney, and she reviewed the document. They require the will to include some specific trust provision.

We have a will with Vanguard as trust.

This is the thread where I asked this question: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=208409
Other threads with more discussion:
viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6757
viewtopic.php?t=15468

Good luck!