TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Post Reply
thebigad
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:53 am

TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by thebigad » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:43 am

I used to get TT Premier Online for free through State Farm, but they stopped it. Vanguard doesn't have discounts anymore either. Does anyone know of the best offer currently available? I'd like to stay online and not do the download/CD option if possible.

If I don't see any viable options, I may just make the switch to TaxAct. I locked in a price of $27.50 to e-file federal and state. Anyone in the same boat? If so, is TaxAct easy to follow for things like rental property depreciation, etc.?

Thanks.

Dottie57
Posts: 4478
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:47 am

Fidelity has the online version for free for their customers.

thebigad
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:53 am

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by thebigad » Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:52 am

Dottie57 wrote:Fidelity has the online version for free for their customers.
I believe that's if you have over $1m in assets and the like, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

gloomydog
Posts: 133
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2012 9:05 pm

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by gloomydog » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:10 pm

Fidelity's free TT needs 1M. I checked with CSR :(

Dottie57
Posts: 4478
Joined: Thu May 19, 2016 5:43 pm

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:53 pm

thebigad wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:Fidelity has the online version for free for their customers.
I believe that's if you have over $1m in assets and the like, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

Didn't realize. I am not using it since I don't want data in the "cloud".

User avatar
tfb
Posts: 7948
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by tfb » Fri Feb 10, 2017 1:12 pm

thebigad wrote:I used to get TT Premier Online for free through State Farm, but they stopped it. Vanguard doesn't have discounts anymore either. Does anyone know of the best offer currently available? I'd like to stay online and not do the download/CD option if possible.
Not sure why you don't want the download/CD option. It's both less expensive and more powerful.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

thebigad
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:53 am

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by thebigad » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:01 pm

tfb wrote:
thebigad wrote:I used to get TT Premier Online for free through State Farm, but they stopped it. Vanguard doesn't have discounts anymore either. Does anyone know of the best offer currently available? I'd like to stay online and not do the download/CD option if possible.
Not sure why you don't want the download/CD option. It's both less expensive and more powerful.
My only concern would be carrying over the data from online to CD. Is that pretty seamless? When I do returns online, it pulls everything from last year and pre-populates as needed.

Edited to add: I'm also pissed how much they keep raising the price. You get one free state with the download version; and it costs quite a bit for another state and then to e-file each state. So, even if I share this with another person, it ends up being quite pricey compared to TaxAct.

User avatar
tfb
Posts: 7948
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by tfb » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:46 pm

thebigad wrote:My only concern would be carrying over the data from online to CD. Is that pretty seamless? When I do returns online, it pulls everything from last year and pre-populates as needed.
From Inuit help:
Transfer last year's return into TurboTax for Windows
Transfer last year's return into 2016 TurboTax for Mac

You only need Deluxe if you use download/CD version. State e-file is optional. Mail still works.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

thebigad
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:53 am

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by thebigad » Fri Feb 10, 2017 2:51 pm

tfb wrote:
thebigad wrote:My only concern would be carrying over the data from online to CD. Is that pretty seamless? When I do returns online, it pulls everything from last year and pre-populates as needed.
From Inuit help:
Transfer last year's return into TurboTax for Windows
Transfer last year's return into 2016 TurboTax for Mac

You only need Deluxe if you use download/CD version. State e-file is optional. Mail still works.
Thanks!

Easy Rhino
Posts: 3267
Joined: Sun Aug 05, 2007 11:13 am
Location: San Diego

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by Easy Rhino » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:24 pm

If you have over $1m with assets at Fidelity, are you really going to be doing your own taxes with turbotax?

User avatar
tfb
Posts: 7948
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by tfb » Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:48 pm

Easy Rhino wrote:If you have over $1m with assets at Fidelity, are you really going to be doing your own taxes with turbotax?
What's wrong with that? Just because you have large assets doesn't make your taxes complicated. If you have your assets in tax advantaged accounts or if you just receive dividends, it can be very simple.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

cheesepep
Posts: 780
Joined: Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:58 pm

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by cheesepep » Fri Feb 10, 2017 6:35 pm

First time TA user, long time TT user. I haven't officially done my taxes yet, but just played around with some of the stuff. All I can say now is that the TA interface is clearly a front for their web interface. Not much has been changed. TT is kind of the same, but more desktop oriented.

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1657
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by sunny_socal » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:46 am

USAA has $20 off, just use this link to sign in:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/microsite/h ... 3468339893

(Indeed - I don't think it even checks that you're a USAA member, I just use my TT credentials :wink: )

General Disarray
Posts: 187
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:35 pm
Location: Body in the east coast, but heart in the west coast

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by General Disarray » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:53 pm

Regular Fidelity customers get a $20.00 Turbotax discount. My federal and state tax prep for the TurboTax Premier together came out to almost $82.00, even with the $20 discount. They tack on about $5.00 in taxes.

thebigad
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:53 am

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by thebigad » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:45 am

General Disarray wrote:Regular Fidelity customers get a $20.00 Turbotax discount. My federal and state tax prep for the TurboTax Premier together came out to almost $82.00, even with the $20 discount. They tack on about $5.00 in taxes.
I guess the question for me is whether the time spent learning and transitioning to TaxAct is worth the $50 savings.

thebigad
Posts: 59
Joined: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:53 am

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by thebigad » Wed Feb 15, 2017 9:42 am

tfb wrote:
thebigad wrote:I used to get TT Premier Online for free through State Farm, but they stopped it. Vanguard doesn't have discounts anymore either. Does anyone know of the best offer currently available? I'd like to stay online and not do the download/CD option if possible.
Not sure why you don't want the download/CD option. It's both less expensive and more powerful.
Upon further research, you're right. I'm buying TT Deluxe Fed/State desktop version for $39 from Amazon. I'll share it with my family members and we all get to use the 1 free state (GA) to prepare our state taxes, and we'll just mail our state returns to avoid the $20 state e-filing fee. Ends up being cheaper than TaxAct and I don't have to learn anything new.

Thanks for everyone's collective wisdom!

User avatar
sunny_socal
Posts: 1657
Joined: Tue Mar 24, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:01 am

Everyone who's cheerleading for "saving" via the download version: how much did you actually pay?

I went with the online Premier plus $20 discount via the USAA link I provided. Total: $76 for prep and e-file both federal and CA.

For comparison I searched for the download version, found a couple:
Intuit: $75, include federal e-file:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-ta ... remier.jsp

Amazon: $55 (but per reviews must later pay $20 to e-file)
https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Premier ... B01L7SJUSQ

Also looked at the CD/DVD version at Costco, didn't seem any cheaper

Where's the savings?

icefr
Posts: 597
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2011 10:50 am

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by icefr » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:07 am

sunny_socal wrote:Everyone who's cheerleading for "saving" via the download version: how much did you actually pay?

I went with the online Premier plus $20 discount via the USAA link I provided. Total: $76 for prep and e-file both federal and CA.

For comparison I searched for the download version, found a couple:
Intuit: $75, include federal e-file:
https://turbotax.intuit.com/personal-ta ... remier.jsp

Amazon: $55 (but per reviews must later pay $20 to e-file)
https://www.amazon.com/TurboTax-Premier ... B01L7SJUSQ

Also looked at the CD/DVD version at Costco, didn't seem any cheaper

Where's the savings?
I live in a no tax state, so I only paid Amazon $30 for the Deluxe DVD. TurboTax online would require me to pay for Premier which is $54.99. If you use the download/DVD version, you can get away with Deluxe when you have stocks but you can't do that online.

User avatar
tfb
Posts: 7948
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 5:46 pm
Contact:

Re: TurboTax Premier Online Deal?

Post by tfb » Wed Feb 15, 2017 11:03 am

sunny_socal wrote:Everyone who's cheerleading for "saving" via the download version: how much did you actually pay?

I went with the online Premier plus $20 discount via the USAA link I provided. Total: $76 for prep and e-file both federal and CA.
Desktop deluxe version will do when you need online premier. $40 from Costco. E-file federal. Mail state return. You can also do multiple returns using the CD whereas another person has to pay all over again using online.
Harry Sit, taking a break from the forums.

Post Reply