Is this car insurance claim able to be filed?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
PlayingLife

Is this car insurance claim able to be filed?

Post by PlayingLife »

Hi BH's,

Not positive if this is the right forum - apologies if it's not.

A family member went to park their car near some woods on their property, and the truck backed up too far and went over a small ridge. It was pulled out by a friend today and the side mirror popped off. It sounds like the door is dented and scratched. I'm assuming there is at least 1 or 2 additional panels that were scratched up.

Could someone let me know if there is even an option to file a claim for this sort of thing? I assume it depends on what insurance options you have...if that is the case, what options would you have to have, to cover such a thing? Or is this non-coverable?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.
denovo

Re: Is this car insurance claim able to be filed?

Post by denovo »

PlayingLife wrote:Hi BH's,

Not positive if this is the right forum - apologies if it's not.

A family member went to park their car near some woods on their property, and the truck backed up too far and went over a small ridge. It was pulled out by a friend today and the side mirror popped off. It sounds like the door is dented and scratched. I'm assuming there is at least 1 or 2 additional panels that were scratched up.

Could someone let me know if there is even an option to file a claim for this sort of thing? I assume it depends on what insurance options you have...if that is the case, what options would you have to have, to cover such a thing? Or is this non-coverable?

Any advice would be much appreciated, thank you.
https://www.progressive.com/glossary/co ... collision/

Comprehensive and Collision coverages pay to repair or replace your auto if it is stolen or damaged in an accident, regardless of who is at fault. For each coverage, you select a deductible that you pay out of pocket. Your insurance company pays for the remaining damage up to the limits you select.
With Collision coverage, your insurance company pays for damage to your auto when you collide with another vehicle or object. If you hit a car, a pole or another nonliving object, Collision coverage will apply.
With Comprehensive coverage, your insurance company pays for damage to your auto caused by an event other than a collision, such as fire, theft or vandalism. If you hit an animal, or if your auto is flooded or stolen, Comprehensive coverage will apply.

This would implicate collision coverage.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Topic Author
PlayingLife

Post by PlayingLife »

I thought collision would cover this! I think they have collision with a $500 deductible. They were thinking since it was their fault, and on their property, they couldn't claim. I haven't had car insurance in a long time so I really am not too familiar and needed this info in a pinch - thank you as always BH's.
denovo

Post by denovo »

PlayingLife wrote:I thought collision would cover this! I think they have collision with a $500 deductible. They were thinking since it was their fault, and on their property, they couldn't claim. I haven't had car insurance in a long time so I really am not too familiar and needed this info in a pinch - thank you as always BH's.

Collision is the optional coverage that covers damage to your car when it is your fault. The one that covers other cars/drivers is liability. Keep in mind that it is possible that their premiums will possibly go up since this will be an at-fault claim against his or her record.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Collision is the optional coverage that covers damage to your car when it is your fault.
Not exactly. I believe if you were hit, say, by an unknown not and run driver/car - then you would file under your collision coverage. Or, the other know and insured driver may actually be "at fault" but you may file under collision coverage and let your insurance company go after the other driver/company.
kenner

Post by kenner »

PlayingLife wrote:
If the friend was somehow negligent (i.e., failed to exercise reasonable care) in trying to "rescue" your family member's vehicle, there may be a claim against his liability coverage.

Alternatively, your family member's insurance agent should be able to advise your family member as to whether or not comprehensive insurance coverage applies in this situation.

Good luck.