Quicken's future direction - a cause for concern

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
michaeljc70

Re: Quicken's future direction - a cause for concern

Post by michaeljc70 »

spammagnet wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:05 pm You need a new ID. It's simply a transition from the ID being used within Quicken formerly being hosted on Intuit.com, former owners of Quicken, to Quicken.com, the new owners of Quicken after it was sold.
I understand that. I don't understand why they are claiming features that have been around for years are new.
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

knpstr wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:15 pm Mine updated flawlessly.
Same here.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:40 pm
spammagnet wrote: Tue Sep 26, 2017 2:05 pm You need a new ID. It's simply a transition from the ID being used within Quicken formerly being hosted on Intuit.com, former owners of Quicken, to Quicken.com, the new owners of Quicken after it was sold.
I understand that. I don't understand why they are claiming features that have been around for years are new.
It is badly written. To keep those online features you need the new ID. The features aren't new. In fact, Quicken rarely adds new features that I personally find compelling, mostly have been happyish with way it is.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

FiveK wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:41 pm
Same here.
Mine also updated flawlessly. My complaint was BEFORE the update they somehow disabled my old ID, and the update didn't come for a longish period of time (better part of a day). The Quicken rep acknowledge this had happened to quite a few people, and the huge queues waiting for support indirectly confirm that...
gasdoc

Post by gasdoc »

Updated flawlessly. I'll give the new guys a chance.

gasdoc
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

So, when they bought Quicken they didn't buy the Quicken Ids? It went fine for me, but you used to not need an ID. Just put in the username/passwords for each account you wanted to connect with. Then you needed an ID. Okay. Fine. Now I needed a new ID. Not a big deal, but also not super smooth.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I still use Quicken 2010. When their targeted advertising became overly aggressive and invasive I decided enough was enough.

It's still a great product. I have to enter data manually, but I don't find that a lot more time consuming than having to constantly check for omissions and errors.

There is no point in getting online quotes, etc. from them nowadays since I am an index investor and Fidelity does a better job keeping you updated if you have an account with them. I imagine Vanguard does the same.

It's still a great tool, but like much popular software (and hardware), at a certain point improvements, if any, become minimal and incremental (at best...). Often the products just become more invasive, and that more than outweighs the dubious increase in usefulness. Quicken 2010 works just fine if you are willing to manually enter your data from statements once a month or so.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

michaeljc70 wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 1:34 pm
So, when they bought Quicken they didn't buy the Quicken Ids? It went fine for me, but you used to not need an ID. Just put in the username/passwords for each account you wanted to connect with. Then you needed an ID. Okay. Fine. Now I needed a new ID. Not a big deal, but also not super smooth.
Intuit sold off their Quicken product about a year and half ago. At that time the same IntuitID and verification servers were used for all Intuit products, including Quicken. That wouldn't be viable long term with two companies sharing the same IntuitID and verification servers.

In order to give Quicken some time to build their own server infrastructure and update their software to transition to their new QuickenID, presumably Intuit let them use their IntuitID and servers until now. I suspect this was provided for in the sale agreement. (I certainly would have insisted on that if I was negotiating the agreement.) What Quicken is doing now is completing the transition to a verification process that's fully independent of Intuit.
Uncle Pennybags

Post by Uncle Pennybags »

I'm locked out even signing on for 2015 and 2017. Thankfully I only use Quicken like a check book and nothing important.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

spammagnet wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 12:38 pm
As did mine. Perhaps we were lucky.
Mine went without a hitch as well (both desktop and Surface Pro).

Very happy with the current Quicken and change in ownership.

YB
"I made my money by selling too soon." | Bernard M. Baruch
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

Uncle Pennybags wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:22 pm I'm locked out even signing on for 2015 and 2017. Thankfully I only use Quicken like a check book and nothing important.
I sure wish I could look carefully at your Quicken install and general setup just to find out what the heck is wrong.

YB
Uncle Pennybags

Youngblood wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:36 pm
Uncle Pennybags wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:22 pm I'm locked out even signing on for 2015 and 2017. Thankfully I only use Quicken like a check book and nothing important.
I sure wish I could look carefully at your Quicken install and general setup just to find out what the heck is wrong.

YB
How will that get them to send me a code?
karpems

Post by karpems »

Anyone having trouble with fidelity netbenefits automatically updating after the upgrade?
FiveK

Post by FiveK »

karpems wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:19 pm Anyone having trouble with fidelity netbenefits automatically updating after the upgrade?
Other than netbenefits not updating until ~11PM some nights? No.
Youngblood

Post by Youngblood »

Uncle Pennybags wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:52 pm

YB
I guess I don't understand your problem. All I have even had was the sign-in password and Intuit name and password which is now changed for new ownership.

So anyway, you have decided to give up on Quicken.

YB
Uncle Pennybags

Youngblood wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 3:34 am
Uncle Pennybags wrote: Thu Sep 28, 2017 3:52 pm

YB
I guess I don't understand your problem. All I have even had was the sign-in password and Intuit name and password which is now changed for new ownership.

So anyway, you have decided to give up on Quicken.

YB
Quicken finally sent me a verification code; it's now working as it did before, buggy. There isn't much to give up on. I only use Quicken for check book like accounting, no cloud or bill paying. I have used this for decades and it has gone down hill with every new edition. I have Moneydance and Excel but I really don't want to learn new software, especially geek type software. I'm keeping all options open, I will not be held hostage.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Uncle Pennybags wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:48 pm Quicken sucks and I'm ready to dump it. The year they stop letting me do manual entries is the day I stop up grading. As it is with a fully paid current Quicken I have to enter a third of the transactions manually.

I feel the same way. I can get by without Quicken is they turn greedy.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Hi Uncle Pennybags -

Imagine if one needed Quicken for Cost Basis reporting at tax time. I am thankful that Vanguard provides this service to Shareholders.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Uncle Pennybags

abuss368 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:50 am
Hi Uncle Pennybags -

Imagine if one needed Quicken for Cost Basis reporting at tax time. I am thankful that Vanguard provides this service to Shareholders.

Best.
I use Turbo Tax and it downloads everything form Vanguard. I have to do very little manual entering on a complected return.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Bogleheads -

I would not be surprised for Quicken to eventually become a software that is cloud based with an associated monthly fee. I believe Quicken has already moved to this business model in Canada.

I am curious how many folks would pay for cloud based model. I am personally not comfortable with having sensitive financial information such as account numbers and log on information on Quicken platform (or any other third party platform for that matter).

Best.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Uncle Pennybags wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:59 am I use Turbo Tax and it downloads everything form Vanguard. I have to do very little manual entering on a complected return.
Hi Uncle Pennybags -

Have you ever discovered an error in Vanguard Cost Basis reporting information?

Quicken (or any other financial software) would provide an additional layer of checks and balances. There is value in that respect.

Best.
Uncle Pennybags

abuss368 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:10 am I would not be surprised for Quicken to eventually become a software that is cloud based with an associated monthly fee.
This is because most transactions are on mobile phones. Phones don't have the power or storage to run the PC software.

Microsoft just announced Office 2019, a stand alone office. This is a reversal as 2016 was supposed to have been the last stand alone edition. Resist the cloud.
abuss368 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:12 am
Uncle Pennybags wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:59 am I use Turbo Tax and it downloads everything form Vanguard. I have to do very little manual entering on a complected return.
Have you ever discovered an error in Vanguard Cost Basis reporting information?

Quicken (or any other financial software) would provide an additional layer of checks and balances. There is value in that respect.
Vanguard switched me to a brokerage account in December and Quicken never did figure it out. The settlement fund confused it totally.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Uncle Pennybags wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:24 am
Vanguard switched me to a brokerage account in December and Quicken never did figure it out. The settlement fund confused it totally.
[/quote]

Quicken could not account for the switch to a brokerage account? I am not surprised as I could not get the change from Investor Shares to Admiral Shares to work properly. Quicken has limitations.

How has the new brokerage accounts worked for you? Do you like them better than mutual fund accounts? Does a brokerage account hold fractional shares? Are they reinvested to deposited to a money market settlement fund?
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:10 amI would not be surprised for Quicken to eventually become a software that is cloud based with an associated monthly fee. I believe Quicken has already moved to this business model in Canada.
Not exactly. They've moved to an annual subscription fee as of Quicken Canada 2017. The main concern about this has been that when the subscription lapses your data reverts to read-only. You can no longer do manual transactions as you can with prior year versions. That caused a huge backlash (see this thread as an example) that resulted in Quicken backing off from the forced read-only operation. The subscription model also effectively triples the cost of the product for those of us who renewed only every three years.

As for cloud-based, that's only the mobile version and it's no different than the US mobile version. The desktop version remains PC-based unless you explicitly allow it to transfer data to the cloud to sync with mobile. But that's an option that you don't have to take.
I am curious how many folks would pay for cloud based model. I am personally not comfortable with having sensitive financial information such as account numbers and log on information on Quicken platform (or any other third party platform for that matter).
All versions of Quicken over the past few years have this feature already. It's intended to simplify downloading transactions from your financial institutions. (It also violates the terms and conditions that many Canadian banks impose on customers' use of online access. I'd imagine US banks are similar.) However, if you don't want to do that--I don't--then Quicken continues to offer an option where you (1) manually login to your bank, (2) download data to your PC, then (3) import it into Quicken.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:21 am The subscription model also effectively triples the cost of the product for those of us who renewed only every three years.

It will more then triple the cost as many of us purchased the product from Amazon or another retailer during a sale below the MSRP.
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

abuss368 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 10:10 am Bogleheads -

I would not be surprised for Quicken to eventually become a software that is cloud based with an associated monthly fee. I believe Quicken has already moved to this business model in Canada.

Best.
I have a limit on what I will pay for Quicken. However, don't you realize with the current version of Quicken, if you are downloading transactions/balances, they have all your passwords and logins? If there were no secondary authentication on my accounts, they could sell al my funds and transfer them. Maybe they could do it without secondary authentication.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:27 pm I have a limit on what I will pay for Quicken. However, don't you realize with the current version of Quicken, if you are downloading transactions/balances, they have all your passwords and logins? If there were no secondary authentication on my accounts, they could sell al my funds and transfer them. Maybe they could do it without secondary authentication.
Hi michaeljc70 -

This was the point I raised earlier in the thread. Many years ago when we utilized Quicken, this was one area I was not comfortable with (i.e. automatic download) and thus never used. I simply entered all transactions.

Considering today's security vulnerabilities with the world we live in, I am further removed from ever wanting to use this feature. My question is if one was the victim of a fraudulent attack and was using this feature from within Quicken, would that individual have personal exposure when trying to recover losses from a financial institution? Essentially one is providing account and login information to a third party.

Best.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

abuss368 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:16 pm
michaeljc70 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 9:27 pm I have a limit on what I will pay for Quicken. However, don't you realize with the current version of Quicken, if you are downloading transactions/balances, they have all your passwords and logins? If there were no secondary authentication on my accounts, they could sell al my funds and transfer them. Maybe they could do it without secondary authentication.
Hi michaeljc70 -

This was the point I raised earlier in the thread. Many years ago when we utilized Quicken, this was one area I was not comfortable with (i.e. automatic download) and thus never used. I simply entered all transactions.

Considering today's security vulnerabilities with the world we live in, I am further removed from ever wanting to use this feature. My question is if one was the victim of a fraudulent attack and was using this feature from within Quicken, would that individual have personal exposure when trying to recover losses from a financial institution? Essentially one is providing account and login information to a third party.

Best.
Sure. Some companies allow a separate login with limitations (like read only) on the account. I wish they all did this. I have found very few places do this. I believe Interactive Brokers allows it.

If they have enough information though, someone can do the same thing by calling in on the phone and wreaking havoc on your investments.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

RE: Password issues

If one of your institutions connects to Quicken using Express Web Connect, then Quicken has your password (but encrypted, of course). However, if your institution connects via Direct Connect, Quicken DOES NOT have your password. Also, it's important to understand that using Direct Connect requires a financial institution to first establish this service with Quicken. They (financial institutions) have to AGREE to use it, and they even have to pay to use it. But I'll leave the liability nuances of that to the attorneys.

So Quicken will attempt to start with Direct Connect, if available, when an account is first set up. Often the Direct Connect user and password are the same as your regular web account (Schwab, for example), sometimes they are not. Using Schwab as an example, it's easy to observe that Quicken is not simply signing into the website to get your info - downloads into Quicken bypass the secondary id you may have set up (Symantec VIP), used by the website, and use Direct Connect instead. A quick Google search will tell you whether your bank or broker uses Direct Connect.

From Quicken's website on the Direct Connect issue (see the Direct Connect-Details section):
https://www.quicken.com/support/how-qui ... -your-bank
michaeljc70

Re:

Post by michaeljc70 »

DetroitRick wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 1:19 pm RE: Password issues

If one of your institutions connects to Quicken using Express Web Connect, then Quicken has your password (but encrypted, of course). However, if your institution connects via Direct Connect, Quicken DOES NOT have your password. Also, it's important to understand that using Direct Connect requires a financial institution to first establish this service with Quicken. They (financial institutions) have to AGREE to use it, and they even have to pay to use it. But I'll leave the liability nuances of that to the attorneys.

So Quicken will attempt to start with Direct Connect, if available, when an account is first set up. Often the Direct Connect user and password are the same as your regular web account (Schwab, for example), sometimes they are not. Using Schwab as an example, it's easy to observe that Quicken is not simply signing into the website to get your info - downloads into Quicken bypass the secondary id you may have set up (Symantec VIP), used by the website, and use Direct Connect instead. A quick Google search will tell you whether your bank or broker uses Direct Connect.

From Quicken's website on the Direct Connect issue (see the Direct Connect-Details section):
https://www.quicken.com/support/how-qui ... -your-bank
If you go to the Account List there is a column labeled "Transaction Download". It will say things like "Yes (Direct Connect)" or "Yes (Express Web Connect)" so you know what method is used.
Uncle Pennybags

abuss368 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:16 pm My question is if one was the victim of a fraudulent attack and was using this feature from within Quicken, would that individual have personal exposure when trying to recover losses from a financial institution? Essentially one is providing account and login information to a third party.
Citi made me agree to hold them harmless if I use Quicken download and money gets stolen. With all of these hacks it's time to tighten up.
abuss368 wrote: Fri Sep 29, 2017 11:09 am How has the new brokerage accounts worked for you? Do you like them better than mutual fund accounts? Does a brokerage account hold fractional shares?
I went to a brokerage account so I could use ETFs, it's easier to buy and sell for tax avoidance. I really don't like it but I can never go back.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

Uncle Pennybags wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:10 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:16 pm My question is if one was the victim of a fraudulent attack and was using this feature from within Quicken, would that individual have personal exposure when trying to recover losses from a financial institution? Essentially one is providing account and login information to a third party.
Citi made me agree to hold them harmless if I use Quicken download and money gets stolen. With all of these hacks it's time to tighten up.
If money get stolen, how would they figure out if it was due to Quicken? I mean, there are breaches at banks and retail locations all the time. Now a breach at a credit bureau. Internal employees steal.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:11 am
Uncle Pennybags wrote: Sat Sep 30, 2017 10:10 pm
If money get stolen, how would they figure out if it was due to Quicken? I mean, there are breaches at banks and retail locations all the time. Now a breach at a credit bureau. Internal employees steal.
I do not have sufficient knowledge of how IT systems work behind the scenes or from a security standpoint to know. However, I would not want to be on the receiving end to find out.
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I haven't read all of the other replies, however is anybody else having issue with the Morningstar x-ray feature in Quicken? It no longer looks at/recognizes my int'l stocks or bond holdings when analyzing rendering this feature pretty useless and it used to be one of my fav features with Quicken.
Uncle Pennybags

michaeljc70 wrote: Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:11 am If money get stolen, how would they figure out if it was due to Quicken? I mean, there are breaches at banks and retail locations all the time. Now a breach at a credit bureau. Internal employees steal.
The banks don't like customers giving passwords to third parties. What bothers me is I have to sign into Quicken's servers even if I don't do a web-connect download. With all of the hacks going on it's time to tighten up.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

A hint of what lies in store (and online ;) ) for US-based Quicken users: Since Office Depot has already spilled the beans... What can be learned from their ad?
Notice that the subscription is for two years not one. The prices seem like "non discounted" in comparison to what they did with Quicken 2017 Canadian (one year subscription). I sort of take that to mean that they consider the two year subscription basically like the old business model, but have just cut them "support term" from 3 to two years...
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

Bylo Selhi wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:28 am A hint of what lies in store (and online ;) ) for US-based Quicken users: Since Office Depot has already spilled the beans... What can be learned from their ad?
Notice that the subscription is for two years not one. The prices seem like "non discounted" in comparison to what they did with Quicken 2017 Canadian (one year subscription). I sort of take that to mean that they consider the two year subscription basically like the old business model, but have just cut them "support term" from 3 to two years...
Yeah, I take that the same way too - like the old model but 2 years vs. 3. From reading the Canada Quicken site, I sort of took that method as a simple subscription model - no Quicken 2016, or 2017 or 2018. Just a subscription that gets updated for one year - current version on day 1, current version on day 365. But from the comments on the link you posted, it seems they will have Quicken 2018. Which will "last" for 2 years. So it's still "Quicken 2018" in 2019. Not sure I care all that much because year-to-year changes are often minor, but it seems like a weird hybrid between subscription and turnkey software. I'd rather just pay my subscription and always have the latest version. But I can live with this. Anyway, thanks for posting, I appreciate the early heads up.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

The transition to a SaaS subscription model for software like this is unstoppable.
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

KyleAAA wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:12 pm The transition to a SaaS subscription model for software like this is unstoppable.
I suppose. I pay for some software/services as a subscription, like the lamentably dying home version of Crash Plan. But I'm also still using Office 2010, which I bought 2 desktops ago and have transferred as I've gone to new computers. When that doesn't work any more, I'll go to Libre Office rather than Office 365 and so I guess "unstoppable" can be stopped. I'll also not update to Quicken on these terms, I was dubious enough about last forced upgrade. I can get by without online updates...

For real fun, Quicken could go to ads and micropayments like many mobile apps and "free to play" games. Pay 10 cents to download transactions :)
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

As expected Quicken Premier runs $74.99 per year now Deluxe is $49.99. This is a 3x+ increase in the price for many of us.
Hopefully it will spur on the competition to make something truly comparable.

Looks like Amazon is selling a 27 month subscription for $89.99 Deluxe and 129.99 Premier
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

SimonJester wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:21 pm As expected Quicken Premier runs $74.99 per year now Deluxe is $49.99. This is a 3x+ increase in the price for many of us.
Hopefully it will spur on the competition to make something truly comparable.

Looks like Amazon is selling a 27 month subscription for $89.99 Deluxe and 129.99 Premier
Whee. I'll be out when my Quicken 2016 expires. May keep using old one without online update features, which as said upthread I don't really need. But $50/year is a huge increase in price...
G-Force

Post by G-Force »

SimonJester wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:21 pm Looks like Amazon is selling a 27 month subscription for $89.99 Deluxe and 129.99 Premier
I can live with the prices from amazon. Deluxe Mac is a little less than $45/year from Amazon which is about the same as if you bought Quicken Mac 2015, 2016, or 2017 from Amazon every year ($40 or so) for the past 3 years. If the product stays solvent I'll be happy.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

I see some things in this latest release that make me happy.

Here's a link that includes a full press release. The link is for a Mac site, but the press release itself has details on the Windows version too:
https://9to5mac.com/2017/10/23/quicken-2018-mac/

Anyway, for the price increase, 3 things jump out on my Premier (for Windows version) - The retail price for 2-years of $119.99 (Amazon gives additional 3 months, plus more DropBox storage at 129.99, as G-Force mentioned above, which seems like a better deal): 1)more customization options for reports, 2)you will ALWAYS have the latest version for the duration of the subscription, and 3)Quicken Bill Pay functionality will be free (for Premier & Home Bus, as opposed to $9.95/mo). Plus, "Premium" support for Premier and Home Bus.

If these prove out by early users, I'll be happy with the new price (well, sort of happy). I just hope the price increase doesn't further deplete the user base. But it looks like the Mac versions are going to be better too. .... we'll see.
G-Force

Post by G-Force »

I found the price of $100 for a 2-year subscription to the Premier version from Staples a little easier to stomach. Staples is offering it in download form as well.

https://www.staples.com/Quicken-Premier ... ct_2800713

The Deluxe version is discounted to $65 for a 2-year subscription at Staples also. Starter is $49 for a two-year subscription.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

DetroitRick wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:06 pm Anyway, for the price increase, 3 things jump out on my Premier (for Windows version) - The retail price for 2-years of $119.99 (Amazon gives additional 3 months, plus more DropBox storage at 129.99, as G-Force mentioned above, which seems like a better deal): 1)more customization options for reports, 2)you will ALWAYS have the latest version for the duration of the subscription, and 3)Quicken Bill Pay functionality will be free (for Premier & Home Bus, as opposed to $9.95/mo). Plus, "Premium" support for Premier and Home Bus.
Since I use Premier and also pay the $9.95/mo for Bill Pay (about $120/year) it seems the new subscription plan is essentially free. Am I missing something?
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

bertilak wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:55 am
DetroitRick wrote: Mon Oct 23, 2017 7:06 pm Anyway, for the price increase, 3 things jump out on my Premier (for Windows version) - The retail price for 2-years of $119.99 (Amazon gives additional 3 months, plus more DropBox storage at 129.99, as G-Force mentioned above, which seems like a better deal): 1)more customization options for reports, 2)you will ALWAYS have the latest version for the duration of the subscription, and 3)Quicken Bill Pay functionality will be free (for Premier & Home Bus, as opposed to $9.95/mo). Plus, "Premium" support for Premier and Home Bus.
Since I use Premier and also pay the $9.95/mo for Bill Pay (about $120/year) it seems the new subscription plan is essentially free. Am I missing something?
I haven’t used Quicken Bill Pay in the past, but perhaps will do so now. I have our checking account’s Bill Pay. Do you find doing it through Quicken superior?

In any case, I don’t find the price distressing. Not only am I on board, but I’m recommending it to my son who has just begun his “launch countdown.”
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

That struck me as pretty radical as well. From $119.40 per year, essentially, to free. The only thing I saw on the Quicken website for this feature in 2018 was that 15 payments were included in the "free". From this link (down in the * footnotes and disclaimers section):
https://www.quicken.com/compare

I had been thinking that Bill Pay could really simplify the process where I'm otherwise going to a website to grab a pdf and then set payment. Can I ask how satisfied you are with the Bill Pay function? Are you happy with the number of vendors, ease of use, etc.? Thanks!
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

I have no use for Quicken Bill Pay, my bank offers the same service already for free and I set all my bills to a rewards credit card.

One of the big complaints in the quicken community is now we transition to a subscription model, however the same bugs have been present int he product for years and are still not fixed. I have experienced several of these bugs and its quite annoying.

Lets hope this cash infusion allows Quicken to make some needed improvements in their product. But we should all be mindful they were bought by an investment company who is likely looking to extract profits from the product. Lets hope they do not bleed it dry and dump it.

Also foot note from the disclaimers:

Full payment is charged to your card immediately. At the end of the membership period, membership will automatically renew every year and you will be charged the then-current price (prices subject to change). You may cancel before renewal date. For full details, consult the Quicken License Agreement. You can manage your subscription at your My Account page.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:40 am
I haven’t used Quicken Bill Pay in the past, but perhaps will do so now. I have our checking account’s Bill Pay. Do you find doing it through Quicken superior?

In any case, I don’t find the price distressing. Not only am I on board, but I’m recommending it to my son who has just begun his “launch countdown.”
I pay my bills through my checking account (chase) but enter them in Quicken. It is much easier IMO than logging on to the Chase website to pay them. I also don't have to link the transaction when it downloads in Quicken (to the account/category it is paying).
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

TomatoTomahto wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:40 am I haven’t used Quicken Bill Pay in the past, but perhaps will do so now. I have our checking account’s Bill Pay. Do you find doing it through Quicken superior?
Very much so.

When I pay, for example, a credit card bill, one (automated) action updates the transactions and balances in both the checking account and the credit card account. Payments are 90%+ of the time automatically assigned proper expense categories because quicken knows what categories go with what payees.

By post-dating projected (and automatically entered) transactions I get to see future cash-flow projections.

The user-interface for setting these things up, clearing and reconciling registers and other things is much easier and more complete in a dedicated program than it is on a web page.

Putting everything in one place makes reporting on or simply viewing things much easier and more complete.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet