Seeking comfortable car seat

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
carolc

Seeking comfortable car seat

Post by carolc »

For the past 35 years, I have driven Honda Accords. A great car in so many ways but I have noticed that after an hour or more of driving I am very stiff when getting out of the car. I might just be me (I am 62) but maybe it is the car seat too. I'm thinking of 'upgrading' maybe to a Volvo or something else. Trouble is...you can't take a car on a one hour plus test drive to see how you feel after that.
Anyone have any thoughts about brands and comfort? Thanks.

carolc
Rupert

Re: Seeking comfortable car seat

Post by Rupert »

Do you have heated seats? I have arthritis in my spine, and the heated seats, more than seat design, make a huge difference for me on long car trips. In fact, they make long car trips possible. I also drive Hondas.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Probably every car model from mid-size up has a power driver seat and heated seats available as options. I just bought a Chevy Malibu LT and have a '8-way power driver seat adjuster'. I like cloth seats because then I will not get any very cold in winter or hot in summer seats over the year. I always thought that you only would need heating and cooling in seats when you bought leather seats.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

likegarden wrote:I always thought that you only would need heating and cooling in seats when you bought leather seats.
When you have back problems, the heated seats act like a heating pad. In other words, they do more than just warm the seats; they radiate heat into your spine. And some car manufacturers -- Honda in at least one model that I'm familiar with, the HR-V -- now offer heated cloth seats.
TRC

Post by TRC »

If you want to stick with a Sedan, I'd check out the Toyota Avalon or Lexus ES. VERY comfy seats.
amd2135

Post by amd2135 »

TRC wrote:If you want to stick with a Sedan, I'd check out the Toyota Avalon or Lexus ES. VERY comfy seats.
And very little headroom. I don't know about the Toyota, but I sat in a few cars with a reputation for comfortable seats recently. My head touched the roof when the seat was adjusted otherwise properly in the Lexus ES. I have no such problem in my Mazda sedan, but its seats are not very comfortable for long trips.

In my opinion the Volvo S60 handily beat the Lexus in seat comfort. I'd never buy one though. Reliability and low maintenance costs are a must for me.
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

It's not as classy as buying a luxury car with super seats, but I've been using a car seat cushion for years with good results.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Car-Seat-Bac ... n/35004870

Note: This is not exactly the same model that I use, but I am ashamed to post a picture of the car seat cushion that I picked up on clearance at Wal-Mart 20 years ago.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

carolc wrote:For the past 35 years, I have driven Honda Accords. A great car in so many ways but I have noticed that after an hour or more of driving I am very stiff when getting out of the car. I might just be me (I am 62) but maybe it is the car seat too. I'm thinking of 'upgrading' maybe to a Volvo or something else. Trouble is...you can't take a car on a one hour plus test drive to see how you feel after that.

carolc
We got a CPO Volvo XC60 about a year and a half ago (time flies).
There were quite a few reasons for selecting this particular car (including that we've owned Volvo's for years, although this time we test-drove a few other possibilities).
One of the reasons we chose this model was because of the seat comfort.
We began to seriously consider a Subaru Outback, but the front seats were so uncomfortable.

We have definitely been able to take cars out for an extended test drive, several different car brands over the years.
It could be for half an hour, or maybe an hour or two, and in one case we kept a car overnight, specifically so we could take it for a somewhat long drive. We had explained that comfort for a medium-long drive was very important.
(Keeping the car "after hours" didn't interfere with the regular test drives offered when the dealer was open.)

This was the first time we got anything other than a new car. We stumbled upon a less than 1 yr old, 10k miles car that had been sold and serviced by the dealer. (The owner's new XC-90 had just arrived, and they made the "switch".)
The car quickly felt like "ours from the start", and we saved a surprising amount.
We'll probably try to do this type of creampuff CPO from now on. It would be worth waiting for.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

A power lumbar adjustment is also nice. Not sure if thats included on all 8 way power seats
PoppyA

Post by PoppyA »

Recaro seats are the most comfy. Some Cadillac's have them. Heat/air/multi adjustable.
tacster

Post by tacster »

carolc wrote:For the past 35 years, I have driven Honda Accords. A great car in so many ways but I have noticed that after an hour or more of driving I am very stiff when getting out of the car. I might just be me (I am 62) but maybe it is the car seat too. I'm thinking of 'upgrading' maybe to a Volvo or something else. Trouble is...you can't take a car on a one hour plus test drive to see how you feel after that.

carolc
You could just sit in the car in the dealer's lot for an hour plus to check the seat comfort. Read a book, surf your smartphone, whatever. I don't think the dealer would mind.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

You can definitely take a car for a greater than one hour test drive once the dealer knows you are really serious about the car. As others said, some will allow you to take it overnight.

I was once looking to buy a car and the negotiating process was really dragging on. I finally said "look, I've got to take a break and get some lunch, I'll be back". The dealer quickly said "take the car (I was looking to buy)". Of course he wanted me to have a reason to come back and I did eventually purchase the car.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Have you asked to take a car overnight....or for a weekend?

I've had this offer looking at: Audi, Maserati, Volkswagen, Jeep. With an Audi, I took it, liked it and bought it. After that, I passed on the offers, not wanting to fall for their Jedi mind tricks that seep in while driving the car, forcing me to buy the car.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

kenschmidt wrote:You can definitely take a car for a greater than one hour test drive once the dealer knows you are really serious about the car. As others said, some will allow you to take it overnight. ...
Option. Could maybe rent a car for a week-long trial.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.
onourway

Post by onourway »

I think you are on the right track with Volvo. Long history of excellent seats.
Topic Author
carolc

Post by carolc »

Thanks everyone!
Perhaps the dealer will let me take the car for an overnight. Renting is a good idea too. Time will tell and I'm not in a hurry so this may take a few months. (Hopefully I won't regret getting rid of the Accord!) :oops:

Cheers!
carolc
Pyrite

Post by Pyrite »

Rupert wrote: When you have back problems, the heated seats act like a heating pad. In other words, they do more than just warm the seats; they radiate heat into your spine. And some car manufacturers -- Honda in at least one model that I'm familiar with, the HR-V -- now offer heated cloth seats.
If you want to see if heated seats make a difference for you without springing for a new car first, you can get "add-on" seat heaters that sit on top of your existing seats. I got a pair last year, and I love them in my hybrid that doesn't put out a lot of heated air. They get very warm--just like a heating pad, as Rupert says. In fact they get warmer than the in-chair heaters in my husband's car. I got mine on amazon an it was only about $30-40 for a set of two heaters.
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

I really enjoy driving my wife's Honda Accord but only around town. Anything more than an hour and it gives me a backache. I did find that if I raise the seat as high as I could tolerate while driving, it was easier on my back. Not great, just better. What is funny is the most comfortable vehicle seat for me is the one on my 19 year old Plymouth minivan. I used to take it on all the long trips and never had a backache. Now that it's so old that I'm disinclined to drive it long distances. Still, can't imagine being without it. When it's time is up, I might just have to keep the seat. :happy
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Try a Lexus ES350 or a GS350. The seating feels much more comfortable than the Accord to me.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Idea. If you find a known comfortable car seat, could try installing a replacement copy into your current vehicle. A local body shop probably has experience doing this and matching upholstery.
See: http://www.google.com/search?q=replacement+car+seat
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.