Tax info from Vanguard to Turbo Tax

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Kurmudjon

Tax info from Vanguard to Turbo Tax

Post by Kurmudjon »

Has anyone been able to download Vanguard tax info direct to Turbo Tax? I have the Vanguard PDF's so that is not the question. Just wondering when that becomes available.

Thanks.
“Some of its magic some of its tragic but I had a good life all the way.”
PFInterest

Re: Tax info from Vanguard to Turbo Tax

Post by PFInterest »

been able to for almost a week.
Rhadamanthus

Post by Rhadamanthus »

I just checked my TurboTax Online status and it says Vanguard 1099s should be available February 16.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Kurmudjon wrote:Has anyone been able to download Vanguard tax info direct to Turbo Tax? I have the Vanguard PDF's so that is not the question. Just wondering when that becomes available.
If your 1099's are available at vanguard.com, they can be downloaded RIGHT NOW.
Topic Author
Kurmudjon

Post by Kurmudjon »

OP here. Maybe I am using the wrong terminology but what I want to do is IMPORT tax info from Vanguard directly to TT. I have the downloaded PDFs etc. i have so far been unable to do so. Perhaps best to just close the thread.

Thanks.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Have you received the 1099's from Vanguard? If yes, you can import the tax info from Vanguard to TT directly.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Vanguard has announced that one may get two different sets of 1099's from Vanguard.

I don't know about TT, but HRBlock has TWO DIFFERENT Vanguard entities to download 1099s from: Vanguard Mutual funds and Vanguard Brokerage Services. I was able to import from the Vanguard Mutual fund entity several 1099-Rs and a 1099-DIV. We have no 1099-B from Vanguard.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Yes, there are two sets of Vanguard 1099's, one for mutual fund accounts and the other for brokerage. MF 1099's are available to be imported into tax software (TT, Block, etc.).
toto238

Post by toto238 »

It takes me about 60 seconds to input the info from my Vanguard tax forms into TurboTax manually. I don't usually bother even trying to import things.
Topic Author
Kurmudjon

Post by Kurmudjon »

OP here. Finally able to import today. Thanks to all.
canon_shooter

Post by canon_shooter »

I was never able to download my brokerage trust data from VG to TT. I called both and they finger pointed at each other so I entered the data manually which was annoying. All the Mutual Fund data transferred just fine and for all other accounts (Schwab etc) I had no problems with importing. I had the sense VG didn't even want to hear about the problem.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

toto238 wrote:It takes me about 60 seconds to input the info from my Vanguard tax forms into TurboTax manually. I don't usually bother even trying to import things.
That's what I do.
Gordon
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

canon_shooter wrote:I was never able to download my brokerage trust data from VG to TT. I called both and they finger pointed at each other so I entered the data manually which was annoying. All the Mutual Fund data transferred just fine and for all other accounts (Schwab etc) I had no problems with importing. I had the sense VG didn't even want to hear about the problem.
Do you have two sets of 1099's from Vanguard, one for MF only and the other for brokerage accounts? Are they both trust accounts?

It is weird that you could download the MF 1099's, but not the brokerage ones.
toto238

Post by toto238 »

gkaplan wrote:
toto238 wrote:It takes me about 60 seconds to input the info from my Vanguard tax forms into TurboTax manually. I don't usually bother even trying to import things.
That's what I do.
I should say I make one attempt to import it. If within 30 seconds I haven't figured it out, I input in manually.

I understand this may be frustrating for people who have 50 different investments in a taxable account and 300 different transactions.

That's why I only own 3 funds and currently use only retirement accounts. Even when I eventually start using non-retirement accounts, may even try to simplify further.
Vanguard Fan 1367

Post by Vanguard Fan 1367 »

I haven't double checked what I imported but a couple of days ago I had no trouble getting Vanguard Mutual Fund and Vanguard Brokerage information imported into my Turbo Tax Home and Business Version. While I was at it I imported information from my Fidelity account.
Upton Sinclair: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on his not understanding it."