Moving to Barcelona - Expat Taxes

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Skiandswim

Moving to Barcelona - Expat Taxes

Post by Skiandswim » Thu Jan 26, 2017 8:25 pm

My wife and I are moving to Barcelona from USA in July 2017. She will be teaching for 2-4 years at a local international school. I will do some part-time consulting remotely from Spain. Tax schemes for our local incomes seems "fairly "straightforward. However, we are researching alternatives to avoid Spanish tax on our global income and wealth tax on assets (this is a much bigger concern). Has anyone had experience with the Spanish “inbound expat” tax scheme?

stratton

Re: Moving to Barcelona - Expat Taxes

Post by stratton » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:37 pm

You might look at this web site which is an English language site for Spain.

http://www.thelocal.es/

There appears to be links for expats.

Paul
...and then Buffy staked Edward. The end.

WiscoTrout

Post by WiscoTrout » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:37 am

Congrats on your move! You will love it here. While I can share some tips on most things Barcelona/Spain (renting, visa, etc.), as for taxes I would suggest an accountant with international/Spanish tax law experience. The only thing I keep my eye on is that if you spend 183 days in Spain in a given calendar year, you are considered a resident for Spanish tax purposes. Since our family sabbatical here is straddling 2016 and 2017, we will miss that one. :happy

You probably found this already by Mr. Google, but this highlights why you may want to get some expert advice: https://brighttax.com/blog/-us-expat-ta ... ed-to-know

Best of luck and safe travels!

Skiandswim

Post by Skiandswim » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:33 pm

WiscoTrout, thanks for the link. I have not used that site yet.

Unfortunately for tax reasons, we will be in Spain for the entire year in 2018. So I have to find options to avoid global income tax and the charming wealth tax.