Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Topic Author
tampaite

Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by tampaite »

Deleting my messages on this forum
Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Re: Amazon Prime Rewards Visa Signature Card

Post by Toons »

Yep
Good Idea for those that purchase a lot of goods from Amazon.
Keeps you in their ecosystem :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
batpot

Post by batpot »

Any reason to get this over the 5% Synchrony card?
objectivefunction

Post by objectivefunction »

batpot wrote:Any reason to get this over the 5% Synchrony card?
I'm wondering. I have both (apparently). I signed up for a Chase Amazon Rewards Visa a while ago (I had Prime at the time), but I don't recall 5% back for a prime account. Is this new?

I signed up for the Chase card to get a $50 Amazon GC, and haven't even used the card. I have been using my Prime Store Card pretty heavily, but would consider dropping it and just using the Chase card now that I know it gets 5% (I verified that it does for me).

Differences, as far as I can tell:
  1. Redemption hassle: the store card automatically gives you a statement credit, the chase card accrues points that you must redeem. I don't recall if there is some minimum number of points you have to accrue before you can redeem, but certainly it won't be automatic.
  2. Card terms: again I'd have to dig into the details, but I assume that the store card does not have, say, a price protection benefit. The Chase card can be used places other than Amazon and has 0% foreign transaction fee.
  3. Integrations: the store card is notorious for not nicely integrating with Personal Capital, and (I think) Mint. The Chase card imports fine into Personal Capital.
  4. Due date flexibility: the store card has a single due date (the 28th) and you cannot adjust that.
  5. Maybe some other things I'm missing?
denovo

Post by denovo »

I am a household member of an Amazon Prime member. I still get the 3 percent, not 5. Can others confirm this is correct?

Edit : Per Amazon chat

Code: Select all

I have checked and found that in order to get the 5% earning through your Amazon Visa Card, your amazon account should have a paid amazon prime membership. As I can see that this condition is not being met because you have an invited prime membership on your account.
Based on $99 membership fee, I'd need to spend 5k a year to break even. I'll pass.
Last edited by denovo on Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Da5id

Post by Da5id »

I often get the 5% by using my Chase Freedom to buy Amazon gift cards. e.g. currently can buy Amazon Gift Cards at gas stations this quarter and get 5% that way. I value ultimate rewards points more highly than the 5% cash myself. I spend a reasonable amount at Amazon, so I don't mind buying ahead a bit.
jf89

Post by jf89 »

Saw this come across this morning and it seems like a good deal for those of us already using Prime and getting our money's worth through the other services it provides. I was just thinking of looking for one more card for the wallet anyway but was hoping for a MasterCard to get some more diversity. Some of the language in the terms mentions MasterCard... has anyone seen that this is or will soon be available under that banner?
"Save as much as you can, diversify diversify diversify, and you can't go wrong with tech stocks" | -First investing advice I recall from my parents in the 90's (two outta three ain't bad)
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Once Amazon started charging sales tax in my state I stopped buying everything but kindle ebooks from them regularly.
mhc

Post by mhc »

I just got the Amazon Store Card for the 5% because the Amazon Visa was only giving 3%. Now the Amazon Visa will give me 5%. :x :x :x
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

This card may work for those who are already Prime members for other reasons but otherwise it would be like any card with a $99 annual fee.
My reason for not doing using the Amazon store card is that it is through Synchrony Bank which I avoid every chance I get.
Snezz1e

Post by Snezz1e »

batpot wrote:Any reason to get this over the 5% Synchrony card?
2 major benefit over the Store card is the extended warranty protection (+1 year on warranties of 3 year or less) and purchase protection (Up to $500 120 day coverage against damage/theft). Also in the past they had offers for card holders usually around Black Friday for something like $20 off $100 purchase.

I only wish they also include price protection to this card then it would be perfect. Otherwise it may be better to use Chase Freedom/Discover during those months that they give 5% cashback.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

denovo wrote:I am a household member of an Amazon Prime member. I still get the 3 percent, not 5. Can others confirm this is correct?

I have checked and found that in order to get the 5% earning through your Amazon Visa Card, your amazon account should have a paid amazon prime membership. As I can see that this condition is not being met because you have an invited prime membership on your account.
Based on $99 membership fee, I'd need to spend 5k a year to break even. I'll pass.
I was wondering the same thing, but that is how it looks to me. This is the clearest explanation I found on Amazon's site:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =202109390

After we are lose our Sallie Mae cards, my wife will need a card for Amazon. I've got Amazon covered elsewhere. But our Amazon Prime account is in my name. On Amazon's site, the offer for this card shows 5% for me but 3% for her.

If this doesn't change in the coming months, I'll probably cancel my Prime account when it comes up for renewal and let her sign up for Prime and add me as a household member. It seems logical to expect that Amazon might adjust their rules to avoid a lot of other people reacting similarly, but time will tell.
Ged

Post by Ged »

I signed up for this today as well. Since I am a heavy user of Prime services anyway it seemed like an obvious thing to do. It also came with a $70 credit which almost balances off a year of Prime right away.

It also advertises no foreign exchange fees. Not really important to me as I have other cards with this provision as well.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

I see changing offers from Amazon for the amount of the gift card for getting their branded credit card. Right now it is showing $50 but other times it has shown $30 or $70. I don't remember other amounts. What are the amounts other people have seen, particularly on the high end? Anything over $70?

Amazon offers a half-price Prime membership to students (or anyone else with a .edu address, for that matter). It cannot be shared with others as the regular Prime can be.
Jags4186 wrote:Once Amazon started charging sales tax in my state I stopped buying everything but kindle ebooks from them regularly.
Doesn't your state require you to report your purchases from out of state and pay the sales tax with your income tax, anyway? Some states don't have income tax, so I'm curious. My state has a specific line for it and you can report the actual amount owed or estimate it using a table.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

I already have the Amazon 3% Visa and am a paid Prime subscriber, can I just get 5% back with my existing card or do I have to open another card?
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

BW1985 wrote:I already have the Amazon 3% Visa and am a paid Prime subscriber, can I just get 5% back with my existing card or do I have to open another card?

Per the email I received about two hours ago, it is an automatic upgrade for most. Check in your stored payments on Amazon, and the details of your 3% Chase card may now read 5%. Mine does.
froman118

Post by froman118 »

BW1985 wrote:I already have the Amazon 3% Visa and am a paid Prime subscriber, can I just get 5% back with my existing card or do I have to open another card?
Should be automatic. I got the email this morning and just checked the details of the card through the "Manage Payment Options" link in my Amazon account it is showing 5%.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

froman118 wrote:
Should be automatic. I got the email this morning and just checked the details of the card through the "Manage Payment Options" link in my Amazon account it is showing 5%.
brokendirtdart wrote:

Per the email I received about two hours ago, it is an automatic upgrade for most. Check in your stored payments on Amazon, and the details of your 3% Chase card may now read 5%. Mine does.
Thank you. Just checked my payments and it does say 5%. That makes a lot more sense then having to open another Amazon card!
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
malbecman

New Amazon Prime card, no annual fee, 5%(!) back on Amazon purchases

Post by malbecman »

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Wow, looks like a doozy. 5% back at Amazon, 2% back at other locations, no foreign transaction fees, roadside assistance, etc.

They're really trying to get you to shop at their website but it you are already a Prime member, I don't see how you can pass it up.

http://www.businessinsider.com/amazon-a ... ers-2017-1
mikep

Post by mikep »

Is there any advantage in keeping the 5% store card now? I have both. Looks like the store card gives financing or 5%, which I don't need.
Other than that I'd like to get rid of the store card.
Last edited by mikep on Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
objectivefunction

denovo wrote:I am a household member of an Amazon Prime member. I still get the 3 percent, not 5. Can others confirm this is correct?

I have a store card and my wife has added it to her account so we can both get the 5% back. So that's an advantage over the Chase card.
pasadena

Re: New Amazon Prime card, no annual fee, 5%(!) back on Amazon purchases

Post by pasadena »

The 2% is for restaurants, gas stations, and drugstores. 1% anywhere else.

I just checked my account and it's been upgraded without me having to do anything. I never got an email though.

Kudos Amazon and Chase !
Geneyus

Post by Geneyus »

malbecman wrote:Wow, looks like a doozy. 5% back at Amazon, 2% back at other locations, no foreign transaction fees, roadside assistance, etc.

They're really trying to get you to shop at their website but it you are already a Prime member, I don't see how you can pass it up.

Ehhh, sort of.

"For Amazon Prime members, it will grant 5% back on all Amazon.com purchases, as well as 2% back at restaurants, gas stations, and drugstores, and 1% back on every other purchase"

A large portion of my credit card charges are my bills (TV, cell phone, internet, etc), other than my mortgage. The Citi DoubleCash 2% card that provides 2% back on everything would still be a better deal because we don't spend nearly as much on Amazon.
mikep

Post by mikep »

objectivefunction wrote:

I have a store card and my wife has added it to her account so we can both get the 5% back. So that's an advantage over the Chase card.
If your wife is in your household, looks like her usage of the Chase card would still be 5%.
Annual and monthly Amazon Prime subscriptions and members of their Amazon Household
I guess I will try it with a small test purchase to confirm or wait for others to do it.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I merged malbecman's thread into here. The combined thread is in the Personal Finance (Not Investing) forum (credit card).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
mikep

Post by mikep »

Geneyus wrote:
malbecman wrote:Wow, looks like a doozy. 5% back at Amazon, 2% back at other locations, no foreign transaction fees, roadside assistance, etc.

Ehhh, sort of.

"For Amazon Prime members, it will grant 5% back on all Amazon.com purchases, as well as 2% back at restaurants, gas stations, and drugstores, and 1% back on every other purchase"

A large portion of my credit card charges are my bills (TV, cell phone, internet, etc), other than my mortgage. The Citi DoubleCash 2% card that provides 2% back on everything would still be a better deal because we don't spend nearly as much on Amazon.
Why not get both? This card has no foreign transaction fee, vs the citi double cash's 3%.
student

Post by student »

US Bank Cash+ allows you to pick 2 categories for 5% cash back. One of the available options is bookstores. Amazon is still count as bookstores.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Apparently it's one of those aluminium cards too. I suppose you have to take them out prior to going thru airport metal detectors?
Topic Author
tampaite

Post by tampaite »

Deleting my messages on this forum
Last edited by tampaite on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

tampaite wrote:
student wrote:US Bank Cash+ allows you to pick 2 categories for 5% cash back. One of the available options is bookstores. Amazon is still count as bookstores.
does this apply to all amazon.com purchases or only books?
IME it has applied to everything except digital downloads.

Edit: I do not think it applied to Prime membership fee either.
R2D2

Post by R2D2 »

mikep wrote:Is there any advantage in keeping the 5% store card now? I have both. Looks like the store card gives financing or 5%, which I don't need.
Other than that I'd like to get rid of the store card.
Same question here.

I'd like to get rid of my store card (just b/c it's one extra thing to worry about). Any reason not to if I have the Chase Amazon card?

Also, someone mentioned not wanting to deal with Synchrony Bank. (The store card is through them.) Any particular reason?
*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! »

If it doesn't happen automatically there's this.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer ... =202109400
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

Pajamas wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:Once Amazon started charging sales tax in my state I stopped buying everything but kindle ebooks from them regularly.
Doesn't your state require you to report your purchases from out of state and pay the sales tax with your income tax, anyway? Some states don't have income tax, so I'm curious. My state has a specific line for it and you can report the actual amount owed or estimate it using a table.
Yes and I don't. No one else does either unless they're running for office.
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

Jags4186 wrote:
Pajamas wrote:
I always do.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

flyingbison wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:
Pajamas wrote:
I always do.
Sucker....just kidding :sharebeer
student

Post by student »

tampaite wrote:
student wrote:US Bank Cash+ allows you to pick 2 categories for 5% cash back. One of the available options is bookstores. Amazon is still count as bookstores.
does this apply to all amazon.com purchases or only books?
It applies to everything that I buy. Maybe not digital downloads.
amd2135

Post by amd2135 »

Strange. I'm also a household member of a Prime member and do not have Prime paid through my account. My Amazon wallet tells me I'm earning 5%.

I don't understand why I'm getting 5%, but I won't complain. :happy

Edit: As per this link posted elsewhere in this thread, it looks like there's a difference between an "invited guest" and an "Amazon Household" member. My account is set up as the latter so I qualify. If you really are a household member, you should qualify too.

Amazon Household
paisano

Post by paisano »

With no foreign transaction fee, it could be a good card for international travel.

Any indication what type of EMV Customer Verification Method it requests?
  • signature only
  • PIN only
  • signature highest priority, PIN second priority
  • PIN highest priority, signature second priority
*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! »

I was confused, but apparently there are now two different Amazon Chase Visa cards (not to be confused with the Synchrony store card)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/cobrandcard?&plattr=ChaseMS
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-c ... rn-rewards

ETA: The amazon.com link only shows both cards if you're not logged in, otherwise it shows just the one based on prime/non-prime status.
Last edited by *3!4!/5! on Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grogs

Post by Grogs »

I've had the Chase card since maybe 2001. It was my first rewards card. It's been sock drawered for the last couple of years because of the SM card. I guess I'll be pulling it out of storage after the SM card gets downgraded. I found the change to no foreign transaction fees to be very timely as well. I'll be heading out of the country for the first time in many years come April and I was trying to figure out a good card to get. Looks like I don't have to apply for a new one.
*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! »

Grogs wrote:I've had the Chase card since maybe 2001. It was my first rewards card. It's been sock drawered for the last couple of years because of the SM card. I guess I'll be pulling it out of storage after the SM card gets downgraded. I found the change to no foreign transaction fees to be very timely as well. I'll be heading out of the country for the first time in many years come April and I was trying to figure out a good card to get. Looks like I don't have to apply for a new one.
Could you confirm that you're old Amazon Chase Visa card has no FTF (and not just the new ones). FWIW there are plenty of no FTF cards out there.
*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! »

*3!4!/5! wrote:I was confused, but apparently there are now two different Amazon Chase Visa cards (not to be confused with the Synchrony store card)
https://www.chase.com/personal/credit-c ... rn-rewards

ETA: The amazon.com link only shows both cards if you're not logged in, otherwise it shows just the one based on prime/non-prime status.
This page compares all 4 Amazon cards.
https://www.amazon.com/Credit-Cards/b?node=1266766011
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

Pretty decent cash back, but limited use. Why not just use a 5-6% grocery store CC to buy Amazon gift cards instead?
Tamales

Post by Tamales »

Am I understanding this correctly...ignoring any non-amazon purchases, you'd need to spend $2000 on "ships and sold by amazon" goods in order to get cash back that would cover the $100 prime membership fee
*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! »

Tamales wrote:Am I understanding this correctly...ignoring any non-amazon purchases, you'd need to spend $2000 on "ships and sold by amazon" goods in order to get cash back that would cover the $100 prime membership fee
$100/(5%-3%)=$5000
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

killjoy2012 wrote:Pretty decent cash back, but limited use. Why not just use a 5-6% grocery store CC to buy Amazon gift cards instead?

A fair point. Especially when some grocery stores with "fuel rewards" programs often offer double or quadruple points on gift cards.

For me it is convenience of never having to deal with special categories for rewards. The only thing I use that card for is Amazon and it sits in my safe otherwise. At over 130 orders each in 2015 and 2016, I'm close to shopping at Amazon more than the grocery store.
nalor511

Post by nalor511 »

Do the categories available change each quarter, or just that you're allowed to change your selection each quarter (but maybe you're not forced to)?
objectivefunction

mikep wrote:
objectivefunction wrote:

If your wife is in your household, looks like her usage of the Chase card would still be 5%.
I did not have a "household" setup, but just set one up, and my wife's account shows that she'd get 5% with the Chase card. The only reason I have the store card is for the 5% back. The Chase card has that plus many other features, so I may consider just using the Chase card instead.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

brokendirtdart wrote:
killjoy2012 wrote:Pretty decent cash back, but limited use. Why not just use a 5-6% grocery store CC to buy Amazon gift cards instead?

A fair point. Especially when some grocery stores with "fuel rewards" programs often offer double or quadruple points on gift cards.

For me it is convenience of never having to deal with special categories for rewards. The only thing I use that card for is Amazon and it sits in my safe otherwise. At over 130 orders each in 2015 and 2016, I'm close to shopping at Amazon more than the grocery store.
Buying directly with credit cards gives protections that paying with a gift card doesn't have:

Extended Warranty
Return protection
Price protection
Ability to chargeback if there's an unresolvable problem
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

Ged wrote:I signed up for this today as well. Since I am a heavy user of Prime services anyway it seemed like an obvious thing to do. It also came with a $70 credit which almost balances off a year of Prime right away.
Well shoot. Apparently my Amazon Visa was automatically upgraded to the new Amazon Prime Visa, so I assume I won't be getting the $70 reward for applying. :(