MA no longer offers state-run tax e-filing

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
gd

MA no longer offers state-run tax e-filing

Postby gd » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:46 am

A note for MA state filers who appreciate their excellent system allowing direct entry and efiling of your state taxes through the state web site-- it's gone. They've switched to a new "improved" online revenue system, and no longer do that. They have agreements with commercial providers to offer no-fee filing. A horrible step backwards from an otherwise-progressive state. I, of course, had already hunted down and purchased a hard-to-find version of TurboTax download without state filing (not available directly from TurboTax, at least when I looked)... I may file paper from now on, just to be churlish.

http://www.mass.gov/dor/individuals/fil ... g-options/

Toons

Re: MA no longer offers state-run tax e-filing

Postby Toons » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:49 am

Whatever you do,
Try to keep it as simple as possible,,,,,
even if it cost a few coins.
You can't take it with you
:mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

jhfenton

Postby jhfenton » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:25 am

That's too bad. My condolences.

For Ohioans, I just checked, and Ohio's I-file individual free online e-filing still seems to be in place.

Silence Dogood

Postby Silence Dogood » Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:38 am

Thanks for the heads up!

Searching via Google News, I can't seem to find anything about this.

I've been using H&R Block tax software to e-file the Federal return but print out and mail the Massachusetts return in order to avoid the e-file fee. Does this mean there will no longer be a fee to do this?

pshonore

Postby pshonore » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:19 am

CT still has web filing, but not until 1/17/17

atomicrc11

Postby atomicrc11 » Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:35 am

Yes, this is a quite disappointing development. I did at least get an email saying mid January I would get a voucher to use free file for two different tax preparers even though I don't meet the income limits for free file. We'll see how well this works.

gundlached

Postby gundlached » Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:15 pm

gd wrote:A note for MA state filers who appreciate their excellent system allowing direct entry and efiling of your state taxes through the state web site-- it's gone. They've switched to a new "improved" online revenue system, and no longer do that. They have agreements with commercial providers to offer no-fee filing. A horrible step backwards from an otherwise-progressive state. I, of course, had already hunted down and purchased a hard-to-find version of TurboTax download without state filing (not available directly from TurboTax, at least when I looked)... I may file paper from now on, just to be churlish.

http://www.mass.gov/dor/individuals/fil ... g-options/

Disappointing news. But wicked good use of "churlish".

Return to “Personal Finance (Not Investing)”