Reliable washer/dryer brands

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
artibug

Reliable washer/dryer brands

Post by artibug »

It seems like people on this site agree with consumer reports that LG and Samsung are 2 good brands for washer and dryer. However, several repair guys I have spoken with all adamantly recommending against them, saying that they repair more LG/Samsung compared to others. The brands the most recent repair guy likes : Kenmore and whirlpool. I don't know if its selection bias: if more people use certain brands, the numbers of repair one repair guy see can increase because of large sample size or they truly know the long term reliability of a product. Since I don't believe CR follows the products several years out. What's your experience and take on this? I have horrible luck with purchasing electronics. So the longer I can keep away from buying new ones, the better!
gmc4h232

Re: Reliable washer/dryer brands

Post by gmc4h232 »

I had this same conversation with my repairman and the only brand he recommended these days was one with an extended warranty - in all seriousness.
keystone

Post by keystone »

I was just in the market for a new washing machine and I think you're going to be rolling the dice any which way you go. The only thing that I have found regarding reliability data was when Consumer Reports did a brand reliability survey, rather than looking at specific models. From what I recall, LG and Samsung were both pretty good but it wasn't clear how this would translate into an individual product. I ended up going with a highly rated and reasonably priced LG and it works great, but time will tell how well it holds up.

A bit of anecdotal data - we bought a Maytag machine four years ago and discovered we had a bearing problem that would end up costing more money to repair than what a new machine would cost. Not only did the repairman say this was somewhat typical, but I found our specific model on Amazon and saw that it had a one star average rating with dozens of reviews complaining about this same bearing issue. Just based on that alone, I will personally avoid Maytag.
92irish

Post by 92irish »

We recently purchased one of the new "high efficiency" low water usage washers - replacing an old school top loader with agitator. We could not buy one of the old variety and are stuck with these high efficiency ones.

I greatly regret our decision and wish we would have just repaired our old school top loader. The new high efficiency (ours in front loader) is just a headache - its overly complicated, takes forever to wash, and does not get clothes as clean. It gets musty smelling if you don't take steps to prevent and leaks from the front door. Ours is an LG, but agree it may not make a ton of difference. We live in an area where water is plentiful and cheap - so why burden and force us to buy one of these low water usage washers? (sorry rant).

My two cents is seriously consider repairing or keeping your old washer if it is an old school variety. They are simpler and just clean clothes better. If you must get a new high efficiency type that we are now required to buy, a warranty is not a bad a idea - but also don't spend a ton for bells and whistles as I am thinking the lifespan of these new high efficiency washers will not be long.
rockonhumblepie

Post by rockonhumblepie »

Earlier this year SpeedQueen came up as still good quality and US made.Small load but look commercial grade.Google forum box. 8-) rockon' round the tree!
SanityCheck

Post by SanityCheck »

The only real reliable washer these days is a "rock down by the river'" ; and a "rope between two trees" for a dryer !

Unfortunately, laundry appliances seem to be oriented around a 5-7 year obsolescence cycle purposely by the manufacturers. The days of Grandma getting 25 years out of her washing machine are long gone !
boomergeneration

Post by boomergeneration »

Another vote for Speed Queen. Our old washer broke down a few months ago and all the new ones we looked at were too high-tech for us. We wanted one that was easy to use with no bells and whistles. We bought a Speed Queen, made in the United States and has been around for a long time. So far we are very happy with it.
skarp

Post by skarp »

Not that this helps purchasing new machines, but if you were open to buying used from ebay or Craigslist.... We've got a Kenmore washer/dryer pair that was purchased from Sears in 1995. They've been running every week since they were brought home. The washer has been repaired once with a new something or other, I can't recall, and the dryer twice repaired with a new heating element. The customer service guys always say something along the lines of - never sell these units and keep fixing them if you can. They are dingy and dinged up, but they do the job!
shuresm7b1

Post by shuresm7b1 »

Speedqueen is great stuff. highly recommend here too.
shuresm7b1

Post by shuresm7b1 »

SanityCheck wrote:The only real reliable washer these days is a "rock down by the river'" ; and a "rope between two trees" for a dryer !

Unfortunately, laundry appliances seem to be oriented around a 5-7 year obsolescence cycle purposely by the manufacturers. The days of Grandma getting 25 years out of her washing machine are long gone !
Speedqueen is more like 20 years.
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

Speed Queen as others have mentioned. My washer and dryer from them are excellent and have been for 5 years now. It's one of the last old-style quality brands.
mancich

Post by mancich »

"They don't make things like they used to". It sounds so cliche but there is truth in this statement. I personally purchased a front-loader LG washing machine a few years ago for the water efficiency (we're on a septic system) and bought the extended warranty. The sales person said that if the circuit board goes it can be $300 - $400 to replace. I usually take a salesperson's advice with a grain of salt, but in this case, I believe it. No problem with it so far. P.s. 15 year old Kenmore dryer sitting right next to it, no problems ever (knock wood). And a 17 year old energy-inefficient refrigerator in the basement (Kenmore) - never a problem...
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

I've had several bad experiences with LG appliances because the repair guys can't get parts for them. Now, when ever I get a new appliance, I call my appliance repair guy and make sure he will repair them (and can obtain parts) and how often he has to repair similar models. I've never gone wrong that way.
lilvixen

Post by lilvixen »

I agree with the previous posters - they don't make them like they used to, so it's the luck of the draw.

Personal experience: I bought an LG front-load and electric dryer in Jan 2009, and I haven't had any service calls or repairs on either of them. However, I run smaller loads, and that puts serious stress on the shocks in the washing machine. I have replacement money saved up for a top-loader when this one goes. I will likely stick to LG because they've been good to me.
I also dislike the front-load because you can't close the door or it will mold. Pro tip: you can use the child-proof buckles for the refrigerator on the door of the washing machine to keep it cracked so it's less obtrusive.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

Anecdotal evidence -

Buddy got his new house with expensive Samsung stuff. Went away for the weekend, fridge died. Lost hundreds in groceries.

Relative owns several rentals and provides some appliances. Best bet is the local used appliance depot. Cheap + Old > Expensive + New for reliability.

kjvm
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Artibug:

I feel it is most reliable to obtain product information from reliable surveys than individual anecdotes. Some customers have had little trouble with each brand -- others pay a service-person regularly.

The May 2016 issue of Consumer Reports contains estimates of 105,000 subscribers reporting failure rates by customers during the first four years of ownership by brand for each washer and dryer types. Most libraries have the magazine which can be copied.

The ratings are complicated. For example, LG has the lowest failure rates for front-loaders but the highest failure rates for top loaders. Frigidaire (a brand I would avoid) has the highest failure rates for front-loaders and gas dryers.

Good luck in a treacherous undertaking.

Happy Holiday!
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
keystone

Post by keystone »

Taylor Larimore wrote: For example, LG has the lowest failure rates for front-loaders but the highest failure rates for top loaders. Frigidaire (a brand I would avoid) has the highest failure rates for front-loaders and gas dryers.
This seems contradictory to the information I see in the Consumer Reports online version. While LG had the lowest failure rate for front loaders, they had the second lowest failure rate for high efficiency top loaders, as well as the lowest failure rate for gas and electric dryers.
leod

Post by leod »

When we were looking for one, we bought a basic HE washer (top loading) and dryer combo with rotary dials.

most of these new products comes with electronic displays, touch, etc.. that i dont like. electronics dont mix well with water/moisture/heat
hightower

Post by hightower »

artibug wrote:It seems like people on this site agree with consumer reports that LG and Samsung are 2 good brands for washer and dryer. However, several repair guys I have spoken with all adamantly recommending against them, saying that they repair more LG/Samsung compared to others. The brands the most recent repair guy likes : Kenmore and whirlpool. I don't know if its selection bias: if more people use certain brands, the numbers of repair one repair guy see can increase because of large sample size or they truly know the long term reliability of a product. Since I don't believe CR follows the products several years out. What's your experience and take on this? I have horrible luck with purchasing electronics. So the longer I can keep away from buying new ones, the better!
We've always used LG front loaders and never had a single problem. Our current W/D is 5 years old and before that we had a set of LG front loader W/D that was also 5 years old when we sold the house. SO, I guess we'll see how reliable they are beyond 5 years soon;)
rgs92

Post by rgs92 »

So why are most appliances made in specifically in Korea these days (by what seems like just a couple of companies)?
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Just took delivery two weeks ago of matching Speed Queen top-load washer (with agitator) and electric dryer, both with electronic controls guaranteed for five years. Manual controls are guaranteed for three years. Niece bought same set a little over a year ago and loves them. You won't find Speed Queen rated by Consumer Reports because they are considered commercial units. Our local dealer says they have very few problems with them. They are made in the USA
Tom D.
F150HD

Post by F150HD »

artibug wrote:It seems like people on this site agree with consumer reports that LG and Samsung are 2 good brands for washer and dryer. However, several repair guys I have spoken with all adamantly recommending against them
makes sense. if the brands are indeed better and need fewer repairs, they get less work. :happy
Long is the way and hard, that out of Hell leads up to light.
hand

Post by hand »

tomd37 wrote:Just took delivery two weeks ago of matching Speed Queen top-load washer (with agitator) and electric dryer, both with electronic controls guaranteed for five years. Manual controls are guaranteed for three years. Niece bought same set a little over a year ago and loves them. You won't find Speed Queen rated by Consumer Reports because they are considered commercial units. Our local dealer says they have very few problems with them. They are made in the USA
Consumer reports has rated / reviewed Speed Queen Washer Dryers, but leaves out of some rankings due to low survey results:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/wash ... lt-to-last

Google cache of same:
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

In general Consumer Reports rated the brand as more reliable, but article linked above implicitly question value for money due to less than best initial quality, smaller capacity, noise and too hot drying (?). While nothing in the Consumer Reports reviews strike me as untruthful (though my SQ dryer does have a moisture sensor), it is hard to take Consumer Reports too seriously when the core value proposition of Speed Queen - heavy duty build quality leading to long life - is neither tested nor valued.

Personally, I am very happy with my electronic controlled front loading laundry pair from Speed Queen and based on their build quality and ease of service, believe they will out-live "consumer grade" laundry appliances by enough of a margin to make them worth the extra cost. Cleaning / drying performance are better than the 20+ year old Maytags they replaced.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

My laundry history.

- Whirlpool branded Maytag pair - bought used, never quite right, destroyed by flood.

- Bosch dryer - bad circuit board killed it after a short few years.

- Speed Queen dryer - a single repair under warranty, no other problems very happy with it.

- Bosch Washer - Performs well, nine years old now. Requires at least one diy repair annually. Could not afford to maintain it if I had to pay someone. I wish it was a Speed Queen.
bonnyside

Post by bonnyside »

It all feels like such a crapshoot...I bought a matching Kenmore He3 front-loader set circa 2004 and both units were great. Quiet, efficient, and absolutely zero issues until this past summer when we sold the house and conveyed the appliances. We moved into our new house and decided to stick with Kenmore since we'd had such a good experience with the last set. We bought a new Kenmore Elite set during a big sale at Sears, and I've been disappointed from day one. Oh, the cleaning and drying seem fine, but both units are louder and the washer is noticeably more vibration-prone than the old one, even with meticulous leveling. The interfaces on both units seem gratuitously complex compared to the old ones, the units are physically bigger, and the washer is much heavier.

The original Kenmore set was made by Whirlpool and the current set by LG. I have nothing to add to the reliability discussion, but at least anecdotally, Kenmore washers and dryers aren't "the same as they used to be" simply because they're no longer made by Whirlpool. I've since been back to Sears to investigate, and if you look closely, the LG and Kenmore units at each tier are identical except for some cosmetic differences.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

My cheap Hotpoint brand washer and dryer purchased in May 2005 were working great, save for a bearing that was a little noisy on the washer, until my house flooded in August. I had to throw them both out because of 3 ft of water, otherwise I anticipated them lasting a few more years.

My replacements are Maytag. I have a Bravos series top load washer and matching electric dryer. I have no real complaints so far other than they are different noises and see to take longer than the older units.

They are made in the USA. Also note that Maytag and Whirlpool come from the same parent company/ manufacturing plant. All of my Kitchen appliances are Whirlpool, with "Made In America" stickers.
Topic Author
artibug

Post by artibug »

I got off easy this time repairing the dryer. Almost as good as new. I cringe at the thoughts of shopping for a new set of washer and dryer. Thanks for all the responses. I know I can always count on you fellow BH for honest opinions and recommendations :)

Happy Holidays! Hope to see peace on earth one day...(and all electronics appliances last for a long long time :beer)
jcompton

Post by jcompton »

artibug wrote:However, several repair guys I have spoken with all adamantly recommending against them, saying that they repair more LG/Samsung compared to others.
This seems a bit like the old "The Toyota Camry is the most frequently stolen car in the US!" scare. They get stolen because there are a ton of them. LG claims to be the market share leader in washing machines in the US, and I suspect Samsung is not far behind. So, sure, repair techs see a lot of them because there are a lot of them.

For what it's worth, I just replaced a then-entry-level 13-year old LG front-loader with a new now-entry-level LG front-loader. The 13-year old model wasn't dead and had never been serviced, although for the past couple of years the drive motor was getting "sticky" and required a bit of coaxing (manual rotation) before starting a new load. Apart from that and a little surface rust from unattended bleach spills and so forth, it was in fine working condition. I saw a deal I liked on the new model, which was cheaper than the old one (even before taking inflation into account) and offers about 50% more wash capacity.

I have no reason to believe I won't be served well by this one for another 12 years 11 months.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

Our Samsung washer required a $300 circuit board repair at a little under 3 years old and is also part of the recall where it can spin too fast and blow the top off the washer. Less than thrilled with Samsung as a brand. The dryer has been ok so far.
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

Worth mentioning again that a good UL-listed wall-mount surge protector should be used on with appliances that have electronic controls. I learned the hard way. You will be surprised how many of these you have once you start doing a thoughtful inventory.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
Sodapop

Post by Sodapop »

+1 Speed Queen...bullet proof...dependable...don't expect to find models with a lot of special features like steam...yet super functional and they last forever...still US made too and not cheap...but we won't buy anything else...I've asked several independent repair technicians over the years which brand is most reliable....they all said Speed Queen hands down....easy to work on too...should it ever be needed...usually after 20 years.
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

TimeRunner wrote:Worth mentioning again that a good UL-listed wall-mount surge protector should be used on with appliances that have electronic controls. I learned the hard way. You will be surprised how many of these you have once you start doing a thoughtful inventory.
The Samsung repair guy mentioned this. Do you have any recommendations on brands?
TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner »

kenschmidt wrote:
TimeRunner wrote:Worth mentioning again that a good UL-listed wall-mount surge protector should be used on with appliances that have electronic controls. I learned the hard way. You will be surprised how many of these you have once you start doing a thoughtful inventory.
The Samsung repair guy mentioned this. Do you have any recommendations on brands?
One brand our work electrical shop guys have recommended is Tripp-Lite. Check certifications for any given model you're looking at, and buy from a trusted source. (I suspect that surge protectors are an easy product to counterfeit.)
One cannot enlighten the unconscious.
vtMaps

Post by vtMaps »

92irish wrote: We live in an area where water is plentiful and cheap - so why burden and force us to buy one of these low water usage washers? (sorry rant).
Low water usage is very important for energystar ratings... not because of water conservation, but because of energy use. Most of the energy consumed by a wash cycle is for heating the water, not running the motor.

--vtMaps
Historical Fact: Justin Smith Morrill represented Vermont in congress, had a dog named 'Trump', and wrote legislation establishing the Land Grant Colleges.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

I have a Whirlpool top loader and a Kenmore dryer. It was conveyed with the house and no problems thus far, knock wood.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
island

Post by island »

In 30 years I've only had 2 washer and dryers. A set of Kenmore that we had for over 20 years and probably could have gone longer, followed by a set of GE Profile. No repairs on either, knock wood. Both top loading washers, gas dryers. At the time we bought the GE everyone we knew who had front loaders were complaining about them for various reasons and I didn't like them for ergonomic reasons.
pubman

Post by pubman »

When we needed a new washer/dryer about 4 years ago I almost had to buy Speed Queen. We have very hard well water and we soften on only the hot water side. Of the washers I looked at, only the Speed Queen allowed a hot water wash. For all of the others, the wash was warm water (for the sake of energy efficiency) which meant the washer would mix the hot and (in my case hard) cold water which would result in poor cleaning performance. These washers did not have a hot water wash setting like washers of years ago.
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

I have had an LG Dryer for 2 years, and it has been fine.
See this thread for the saga of Samsung washers, and recommendation for Speed Queen washer:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=201548
Bidwell

Post by Bidwell »

[quote="SanityCheck"]The only real reliable washer these days is a "rock down by the river'" ; and a "rope between two trees" for a dryer !

Unfortunately, laundry appliances seem to be oriented around a 5-7 year obsolescence cycle purposely by the manufacturers. The days of Grandma getting 25 years out of her washing machine are long gone ![/quote

+ 1
PStrider

Post by PStrider »

I'm still using GE washer and dryer from 2004 and they're still going strong.

The new expensive ones my parents bought lasted a year or so.

The biggest thing is to look for the simplest unit, meaning the less buttons and moving parts the better.

Just my $0.02.
Lieutenant.Columbo

Post by Lieutenant.Columbo »

Electrolux.
The stackable ones.
Lt. Columbo: Well, what do you know. Here I am talking with some of the smartest people in the world, and I didn't even notice!
rowany

Post by rowany »

For appliances I read through blog.yaleappliance.com because they and analyze annual service call data and roughly normalize to purchase numbers.
For washers:
http://blog.yaleappliance.com/most-reli ... ad-washers
Buckeye

Post by Buckeye »

We bought a new dryer and a new washer about 11 months ago.....both Speed Queen. Unfortunately in our case they have both been disappointing.

(First call about 8 months ago was for a bad bearing that was replaced. Several months later the call was for the washer which needed a new spring (spin cycle became frequently very wobbly). Now I need to call again for what sounds like a bad drum bearing in the dryer....again. :annoyed )