How do you track your finances?

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
someuser001

How do you track your finances?

Post by someuser001 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:56 pm

I have been using an Excel file that i created some years back, and it is very customized

I tried Quicken for some time, but it would not stick. I tried using Mint, but got a little queazy about the privacy aspects

What do you use?

FiveK

Re: How do you track your finances?

Post by FiveK » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:00 am

Quicken, for >20 years.

It has its problems, but works well enough for us.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:04 am

I moved from a ledger book to Excel over 20 years ago, and it has worked fine for me. No plans to change to anything else.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

fatmike91

Post by fatmike91 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:16 am

What do you want to track? Spending? Budget? Investments/net worth? Asset allocation?

I use a spreadsheet for Investments and asset allocation. I use quicken for Spending/budgeting.

/

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:31 am

My copy of Quicken is collecting dust because it demands that I manually correct sync issues. So I buried my tinfoil hat and do everything online now.

Personal capital for investments. I use Mint for expenses, sort of. I have a decent memory and I mostly look at it to monitor for fraud. I can usually tell you my checking account balance without looking. :sharebeer

triceratop

Post by triceratop » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:03 am

I still very much have my tinfoil hat on, and use GnuCash for a complete look at cash flows, investments, etc. I also maintain a custom google spreadsheet for tax costs of investing as well as portfolio rebalances by asset class.

It works well, though I should mention I look at my GnuCash/spreadsheet far more than is necessary to maintain a balanced, diversified, highly-tilted portfolio. Does this mean I waste my time, or that I am an enthusiast and investing is my hobby? 8-) Regardless it's helpful to see the daily up and down of a portfolio, so that one is prepared to handle volatility and stay the course.
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."

Cruise

Post by Cruise » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:07 am

Excel for investments, updated quarterly.

Don't track spending, but wife lets me know if I need to put money into her account...

KeepItSimple78

Post by KeepItSimple78 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:09 am

Someuser001,

I feel the same way about giving up my financial info to all of these cloud-based apps available. I use Excel, has everything one needs to track their finances. There are some nice templates out there as well if you're not comfortable creating your own spreadsheet.
Avid reader of personal finance/investing literature; however, no formal training in this area. My comments are always well-intended, and most often well-informed.

JWooden10

Post by JWooden10 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:20 am

Exclusively Excel for at least last 10 years. Use it mainly for asset allocation checks. Don't mess with budgeting/spending beyond charitable donations and tax related stuff. Was previously on Money but decided all the syncing and linking was more trouble than it was worth.

fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:55 am

I use Vanguard's outside investments aggregation facility, Yodlee, to track everything at a glance. I use an Excel spreadsheet to maintain a master file of of account numbers, amounts by account, overall portfolio allocation, assigned beneficiaries, contact addresses and phone numbers, etc., for us and for our children if/when we die. Our children don't have access to the spreadsheet now, but they know how to access it if necessary. The spreadsheet is set up to sort by Column A, rows numbered the way I set it up, or Column B, rows numbered by Vanguard's Balances and Holdings format, for easy updating.

I have a separate spreadsheet that tracks and projects our annual income, expenses, and taxes out to age 100. I close out each year by replacing the formula-based projected values with end of year actual values and changing the font from regular to bold.

MikeG62

Post by MikeG62 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 8:58 am

I use Fidelity's Full View software for tracking my investments. It pulls in all accounts from every other financial institution I have with automatic updates each day.

I use Excel (personally designed multi-sheet workbook) to track my spending (checking accounts and credit cards) including comparison to budget on a monthly basis. I also use one tab in that file as an electronic checkbook register. Far better than the paper register that comes with my checks. Plus, I can reconcile my checkbook in seconds anytime I want.
Real Knowledge Comes Only From Experience

DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:12 am

Quicken Premier, Quicken user since 1997.

Very satisfied with the functionality and reporting, satisfied with downloading capabilities. At this point, managing multiple accounts for both us and an elderly family member, I can't imagine not having this software anymore. Especially having one piece of software for managing spending, income and investments. I'm relieved that the new owner is maintaining and improving it.

OutInThirteen

Post by OutInThirteen » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:30 am

Custom-built Excel spreadsheet for all finances, with the exception of Quicken to balance the checking account. Now that we're transitioning to online banking, I'll have to see if Quicken is still needed for that. Taxes are also done on Excel spreadsheets, with numbers transferred to paper returns (no big deal because we file 1040As every year) and sent in an envelope US Postal Service, so no need for tax software. Future projected SS increases and Medicare Part B costs (two years away) are in the main spreadsheet, so no need for a personal SS online account for me or my spouse.

We're finally to the point where I'm drawing SS and two DB pensions, which covers basic and discretionary expenses. So I won't need to rely on the spreadsheet as much to manage cash flow between accounts. Spouse's SS kicks in in a year, plus another pension in four years.

The spreadsheet is in a desktop folder entitled "Important Information" for my spouses reference, or for our children should something happen to both of us.

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:32 am

I use excel. Some people get value out of extremely detailed information on their expenses. My friend gets how much he spent on restaurants each year to the dollar. He actually got the same dollar amount two years in a row. I guess if it helps you make wise expense decisions --go for the details. - but I haven't heard anything that changed my friend's spending habits.

I set up about 25 expense categories on excel. one for each credit card, one for each service/utility, medical, premiums etc. I get my current run rate and footnote any exception items. Takes about 20 minutes a month. I look at the detail of credit cards during the bill payment process. That is plenty of detail for me. I know I spend a lot of money on eating out. So I know that is an expense that can be managed if necessary. getting the monthly run rate is useful.

WageSlave

Post by WageSlave » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:32 am

triceratop wrote:I still very much have my tinfoil hat on, and use GnuCash for a complete look at cash flows, investments, etc. I also maintain a custom google spreadsheet for tax costs of investing as well as portfolio rebalances by asset class.

It works well, though I should mention I look at my GnuCash/spreadsheet far more than is necessary to maintain a balanced, diversified, highly-tilted portfolio. Does this mean I waste my time, or that I am an enthusiast and investing is my hobby? 8-) Regardless it's helpful to see the daily up and down of a portfolio, so that one is prepared to handle volatility and stay the course.
+1 for GnuCash. It's free/open source, and multi-platform (Windows, Mac, Linux). There is a bit of a learning curve if you're not familiar with basic accounting principles and double-entry accounting. But the documentation and tutorials are good. At least for me, once the concepts "clicked", it became second nature... now I can't think of any other way to track financial info.

I think that having this kind of detailed financial information for many years will be immensely useful for retirement planning. In general I'm a bit of a data geek, so it's also interesting to see changing trends over time. (For example, I have a "household goods" expense category that recently went down noticeably now that my kids are all potty trained.)

Learning about accounting through my use of GnuCash has also given me other insights, like the difference between cash flow and expenses. A good example is a home mortgage: cash flow required is the full amount of the payment, but expenses are only a portion of that (the principle portion doesn't count as an expense, but a liability reduction).

For those that have read Your Money or Your Life, you will be familiar with the concept of a "wall chart". The idea is a big graph you update every month. The horizontal axis is time, and the vertical axis is dollars. The graph has two lines, one for expenses, and one for passive (i.e. non-wage) income. When the passive income line crosses over the expense line, you can consider yourself financially independent. It's a motivation tool to visualize your progress towards retirement, and also a reminder to keep expenses in check. I don't do that exactly, but I do create a monthly PnL report with GnuCash. From there, I have high-level data that I enter into a "dashboard" spreadsheet. And from that spreadsheet, the graph is only a few clicks away. (I believe I can also create this chart directly in GnuCash.)

Nick True

Post by Nick True » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:36 am

We use YNAB (cloud based budgeting app) for tracking our spending/budgeting. I absolutely love it and highly highly recommend it. I used Quicken for 3 years and it just couldn't do what I wanted without use back-end ways and creating my own weird reports. YNAB does exactly what I need.

For tracking investments, retirement accounts, AA etc... We use custom built Excel spreadsheets.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:40 am

whodidntante wrote:My copy of Quicken is collecting dust because it demands that I manually correct sync issues. So I buried my tinfoil hat and do everything online now.

Personal capital for investments. I use Mint for expenses, sort of. I have a decent memory and I mostly look at it to monitor for fraud. I can usually tell you my checking account balance without looking. :sharebeer
My tinfoil hat is firmly on and may even double it's layers :shock:, we use Excel.

SQRT

Post by SQRT » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:44 am

Excel for everything, and I mean everything. Doing this for about 30 years (was 1-2-3 way back). I track cash flow, ie income, expenses, other items. "Roll" my cash balances each month, that is: opening cash balance +income-expenses+-other capital items=ending cash balance. Current year plus two more out. Other spreadsheets for ACB's, dividends, returns, pension NPV's, total net worth progression, etc. If I wonder about something it usually ends up being a spreadsheet.

Rainmaker41

Post by Rainmaker41 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:58 am

I track regular expenses with GoodBudget, an envelope system app.

I have all account names and balances (but not account numbers of course) in a Google Sheet. The main purpose of the spreadsheet is to project the overall financial status months or more into the future, based on expected income and spending equal to or less than my budget. Accounts and buckets of cash savings along rows, months in columns, reconciled monthly.

I tried the various account aggregation services like personal capital, but found them annoying. I just manually update my 403b assets in my Vanguard account every month.
My username is not about money, but is my old online gaming username. I can't say that I make a great deal of money; I just hate spending it. Married the most loving woman in the world October 2017.

mdba73

Post by mdba73 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 11:56 am

Will do good wrote:
whodidntante wrote:My copy of Quicken is collecting dust because it demands that I manually correct sync issues. So I buried my tinfoil hat and do everything online now.

My tinfoil hat is firmly on and may even double it's layers :shock:, we use Excel.
I always get a smile when tin foilers use excel - unless its on a completely disconnected windows machine.

MI_bogle

Post by MI_bogle » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:10 pm

mdba73 wrote:
Will do good wrote:

I always get a smile when tin foilers use excel - unless its on a completely disconnected windows machine.
or if they make online purchases, file their taxes online, had a Yahoo email address, Anthem health insurance, etc

I use mint, I like the fact that I can monitor all my CC transactions in one place and practically in real-time. It's already allowed me to catch a fraudulent transaction before the bank did.

whatusername?

Post by whatusername? » Wed Dec 21, 2016 12:52 pm

I'm with you on Excel, OP. It's built up over the years to show me exactly what I want to know/track/see and exactly how I want to see it. No reason to switch to anything else.

N1CKV

Post by N1CKV » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:02 pm

For tracking accounts/ balances along with other things like Payroll and tax calculations I have a large Google Sheets document. It works great and is available from anywhere (and of course all Google Drive items are encrypted).

For tracking budgets/ spending I use Mint.com I just really don't care if someone else knows I bought new underwear last month. :wink:

Northster

Post by Northster » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:03 pm

I like Google Sheets to track investments, though mainly to adjust allocation and roughly assess progress. I have recently started using it to balance my checkbook as well and find I am in better control than with paper entries. Tried Sheets for budget/spending but found that while it captured utilities, insurance, and food well enough, there always seemed to be a large amount of 'miscellaneous' not accounted for. Abandoned that and just check income and retirement account withdrawals to get a handle on total spending.

Post by 2015 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:38 pm

whatusername? wrote:I'm with you on Excel, OP. It's built up over the years to show me exactly what I want to know/track/see and exactly how I want to see it. No reason to switch to anything else.
+1

jasonp99

Post by jasonp99 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 1:58 pm

I've been exclusively using Quicken Mac since 2002. A few years back moved to the 2007 version, this imho is the last good version that Quicken put out for the Mac. Tried out the 2016 version but just do not like it, seems way harder to get reports out of it and schedule future one-off transactions. So I'll be sticking with the 2007 version until it no longer functions on MacOS. I track everything in Quicken - bank accounts, credit cards, investments, really makes it nice to see everything in one spot. I download data into it using QIF/QFX (wrote a Perl script to convert QFX to QIF so that would work) manually, not via auto-download in Quicken, and my pre-Quicken-parser auto-categorizes transactions based on the payee.

mancich

Post by mancich » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:02 pm

A combination of Quicken and Excel. Excel just allows me to do some things better than Quicken, but I like Quicken's reporting capabilities.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:19 pm

Q: How do you track your finances?

A: Loosely

I track the big ticket items like retirement and savings accounts in an Excel spreadsheet when the spirit moves me. Which is less and less often over time.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

flossy21

Post by flossy21 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:24 pm

Moneydance. I am on a Mac. I was a Quicken user for years and had to switch when I went to Mac. Moneydance can import all your old Quicken transactions so you don't lose continuity if you switch. It requires some finessing to clean up but it was not that bad for me.

It does all the things that Quicken did when I was using it. Moneydance also does not do the Intuit thing and try to constantly rake you for more money. I think I've done one update in about 5 years and it cost me like $15

dpc

Post by dpc » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:31 pm

Basically, I don't. I look at my investment and banking accounts online but rarely change anything. I look over each credit card statement but have them all on autopay. Every so often I transfer some money to our checking account.

I review the bank statements for anything surprising, but I don't balance my checkbook. Shameful, I know, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.

Cheers,

Dave
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers

jmg229

Post by jmg229 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:38 pm

We use YNAB for budget/spend and Google Sheets for investing/net worth/everything else. We had used Google sheets for everything, but I like tracking spending to the penny and, hard as it was for me to admit, it was taking a lot of time every weekend to update the sheets how I wanted them to be. YNAB has just enough automation to make it less time consuming and let me focus on analysis and planning, not data entry.

ddunca1944

Post by ddunca1944 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:43 pm

YNAB for budgeting,& spending. A simple excel sheet for an annual budget & forecasting. Another excel sheet to track actual returns of retirement accounts (and % withdrawals - which vary annually)

Trying to KIS

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:47 pm

I use the discontinued Microsoft Money, in which I have a quarter century of personal financial data. If starting from zero today I'd make a different choice, but I can't go back in time and make a different choice then, and anyway, today's better choices weren't available 25 years ago. It's a classic legacy IT situation. The cost of giving up the data, which I've tried and failed to port to something newer, is greater than any inconvenience of continuing to use the old system.

I keep the data out of the cloud, but back it up regularly, including for off-site storage.

PJW

gobigorgohome

Post by gobigorgohome » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:50 pm

Northster wrote:I like Google Sheets to track investments, though mainly to adjust allocation and roughly assess progress. I have recently started using it to balance my checkbook as well and find I am in better control than with paper entries. Tried Sheets for budget/spending but found that while it captured utilities, insurance, and food well enough, there always seemed to be a large amount of 'miscellaneous' not accounted for. Abandoned that and just check income and retirement account withdrawals to get a handle on total spending.
Mostly Google Sheets user as well. Do from time to time check Personal Capital or Mint for investments.

eog

Post by eog » Wed Dec 21, 2016 2:59 pm

I use mint to keep track of spending during the year. At the end of the year I will roll up all of our expenses and figure out how much we spent in what category and put this in an excel spreadsheet. Mint has lost years of data for me before so I don't completely trust it to hold years of info.

Same spreadsheet has networth that gets updated once a year. In terms of investment I have a tab that shows current value as well as predicted future value.

NYCguy

Post by NYCguy » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:04 pm

Quicken. I track spending (checking and credit cards) real time, investments across a few financial institutions, as well as assets and liabilities. It provides invaluable insights into my financial life.
If your out-go is greater than your income, your upkeep will be your DOWNFALL.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:07 pm

We have streamlined our whole approach. Recently this month, even more so! We used Quicken for almost a decade and stopped using it about 8 years ago. I also am familiar with the old Microsoft Money. Essentially I did not see the value any longer and the time commitment.

We have a spreadsheet in Excel that provides a simple Balance Sheet, Savings Account allocation, a few easy investment analysis including the college funding, and that is it. The rest is recorded manually in our checkbook. We not longer need to know what wen to gas, repair, food, etc. We know our expenses. Our bank and investment statements provide more information than we need.

Best.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"

Kencufc

Post by Kencufc » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:14 pm

We have our household budget in everydollar, which also has an app that makes it extremely user friendly. For investments and net worth, we use Personal Capital

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:25 pm

OP: it might help to state what your goals are and what you mean by "Track finances". Are you tracking every nickel of cash-flow and every dime of investemet? Do you want to better budget and track to a budget? Are you simply wanting to see where your money goes? Investments and TLH opp tracking?

I used to use Quicken and tracked everything down to the nickel - I had every account in there (banks, Credit-Cards, investments). Over time I stopped budgeting to a fine-tuned degree and then I moved to Mint but ONLY for main cash flow (so I link it to my primary bank and primary Credit Cards only). I now use a simple spreadsheet to track investments (Easier now than years ago since I have converted to boglehead ways and have far fewer holdings). I still like using MInt because if I have a month where my CC's are higher than usual I can go back easily and see which categories hit the highest. I tried YNAB one month and didn't like the paradigm - some folks do though. For my spreadsheet - I cut and paste from my 3 brokerage accounts (Vanguard, Fidelity, Schwab) monthly - only takes about 15 minutes to get the update in although I realize I could probably create Macros to save even more time. Even when I had Quicken I used to enjoy moving investments to a spreadsheet as Quicken didn't do all the analysis I wanted to do.

AstroJohn

Post by AstroJohn » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:38 pm

Moneydance for the checking, saving, and investments. I am on a Mac and Quicken has never been that useful to me. Also, when I was no a pc, the Quicken chartjunk on the homepage just kept growing and growing. Mostly as an educational tool, I also keep track in GnuCash, which is a great piece of software, but comes with a steep learning curve. Finally, for a rough yearly budget and asset allocation, I have LibreOffice spreadsheets.

One word of caution to all of us Bogleheads who delight in keeping careful track of things with fancy software tools. If you are hit by a bus tomorrow, will that simple notebook or folder you have for your spouse be all he/she needs? I thought so, and when my wife and I did the experiment discovered otherwise. For the last two years, my wife has been actively involved in doing all the financial things I once did alone. It took a long time for her to be comfortable with things, but now, if I drop dead, I am confident that she can carry on. In a few more years, it will be time to make sure one of our children can also pull the levers.

startbyservingothers

Post by startbyservingothers » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:56 pm

I also use mint.com. I find the benefits out weigh the risks. Especially since I have a number of credit cards and bank accounts to keep track of. If anything gets compromised I'll find out in hours rather than days, weeks, or months.

I am in the process of adding text alerts to all my accounts where it is allowed to help mitigate any exposure should mint or my banking website be hacked. 2 step authentication is also available on most banking sites now. - Chase bank has been doing this for years.

I also use different passwords for Financial Accounts than Email Accounts, Forums, or other non-sensitive sites. A website with unknown security can be hacked too easy compared to a banking site. You should not allow that to give thieves access to your information!

coalcracker

Post by coalcracker » Wed Dec 21, 2016 4:33 pm

dpc wrote:Basically, I don't. I look at my investment and banking accounts online but rarely change anything. I look over each credit card statement but have them all on autopay. Every so often I transfer some money to our checking account.

I review the bank statements for anything surprising, but I don't balance my checkbook. Shameful, I know, but I don't feel like I'm missing out on much.

Cheers,

Dave
+1

I make sure I have enough for monthly contributions to a taxable retirement account and 529 plans. Fund the backdoor Roths in January with year end bonus money. Have all my bills on autopay, which come out near the end of the month. Check my credit cards statements each time for anything fishy.

Most months I have some left over to make additional payments on student loans, or add some extra to taxable retirement.

I check balances once a month or so, but don't usually rebalance.

My life is too busy with work and play. Maybe my hands off approach will lose me a few dollars here or there, and I'll have to work a year or two longer, but not having to number crunch for 20+ years will have been worth it. :wink:

travellight

Post by travellight » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:20 pm

I use mint. It is the easiest way for me to track everything in a macro and micro way. When I had a fancy knife I bought start falling apart on me with minimal use, I did not have the receipt easily retrievable. I looked up in my mint account the name of the store I bought it from and it brought up the transaction. I was able to contact the company for warranty management.

When I learned of citibank's price rewind, I looked up on mint when I bought my nest thermostat. Easily retrieved, I knew it was within the 60 days and put the effort in to find the receipt, loaded it up and citibank found a lower price and refunded me the difference.

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:35 pm

Excel for yearly budgeting goals, account balances, net worth, etc. These numbers are updated monthly.

Google Sheets for tracking spending. This is edited as purchases are made.

btenny

Post by btenny » Wed Dec 21, 2016 5:40 pm

I use Excel for all my investment accounts ONLY. I track total invested over 5 accounts on one excel sheet and asset allocation on a second sheet. I make sure they balance to the penny. I check the two excel sheets against each other. This check finds errors. This setup forces me to check asset prices for each ETF and each mutual fund each month and what I have invested where.

I also do a detail review at year end using these Excel sheets together with my annual spending to monitor investment performance.

Last year I went looking for software to do this task in a more automated way and was forced to forget it. I found nothing better than Excel and manual data entry and setups. The brokerage houses like Scottrade and Wells and Vanguard just do not make the data necessary available to do account management. Some of it is there but not enough. The data only comes on monthly reports.

I don't track spending totals or have a detailed home budget. I just watch what we spend approximately and then sum it up annually. I do check credit card against receipts manually.

Good Luck.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:35 pm

Rodc wrote:Q: How do you track your finances?

A: Loosely

I track the big ticket items like retirement and savings accounts in an Excel spreadsheet when the spirit moves me. Which is less and less often over time.
Similarly, but I'd call mine:

A: Poorly

Toons

Post by Toons » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:46 pm

Quicken
Since 1993
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

corner559

Post by corner559 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:49 pm

I used MS Money until they stopped making it and now just track all my expenses, asset allocation, etc. in Excel in sheets I've customized for myself.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:50 pm

I do however recommend Quicken for anyone who needs financial and budgeting support. It is an excellent program.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!"

lostdog

Post by lostdog » Wed Dec 21, 2016 6:57 pm

Quicken.
VT/VTWAX+BNDW