KANSAS state income tax (non resident) and capital gains/dividends

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
datamonkee

KANSAS state income tax (non resident) and capital gains/dividends

Post by datamonkee » Thu Dec 01, 2016 11:25 pm

So, here are the facts:
1. i was sent to kansas for work. I am a non-resident.
2. my paycheck reflects kansas state withholding for the period of time that i worked in kansas.

Question: Will my capital gains and dividends be taxed on the Kansas state income tax?

FiveK

Re: KANSAS state income tax (non resident) and capital gains/dividends

Post by FiveK » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:01 am

datamonkee wrote:Question: Will my capital gains and dividends be taxed on the Kansas state income tax?
Not if they come from non-Kansas sources.

See Individual Income Tax Return K-40 Rev. 7-15 - k-4015.pdf and Supplemental Schedule Sch S Rev. 7-15 - schs15.pdf (in particular, Part B of the latter).

datamonkee

Post by datamonkee » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:02 am

Thanks for the reply. Based on my interpretation of the forms, it seems like capital gains/dividends are not considered kansas source income for non-residents, and that the only taxable income is my income from my job here in kansas. Does that seem right?

dbr

Post by dbr » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:27 am

Most likely does not apply, but a Kansas non-resident who has never set foot in Kansas can still have Kansas sourced income in some types of investments. Gas trusts extracting gas in Kansas would be one example, just to illustrate.

datamonkee

Post by datamonkee » Sat Dec 03, 2016 8:54 am

reading more on the instructions, it looks like i need to submit with my kansas state income tax return my federal return. is that correct? that sucks. I don't like to distribute private data whenever i don't have to.