Help needed with Identity theft

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills
Topic Author
Hockey10

Help needed with Identity theft

Post by Hockey10 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:01 pm

I received an alert from LifeLock this morning saying that my name, SSN, and birthdate were used to apply online for a short term loan. I called LifeLock and they had no more info. They told me to order a Teletrack Report from Corelogic and to order a Chex Systems Report. These reports could take up to 2-3 weeks to arrive. When they arrive, I should call LifeLock.

Instead of waiting 2-3 weeks, what should I be doing? Should I freeze my credit reports? Are there any other steps that I should be doing today?

Thanks

Rupert

Re: Help needed with Identity theft

Post by Rupert » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:09 pm

Place fraud alerts on your credit files with Equifax, Transunion, and Experian immediately. You only have to notify one of them; the first one you notify will notify the other two for you. Then file any necessary police report(s). Then freeze your credit files. The freezes will be free if you have a police report. (They're free in some states even without a police report).

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:25 pm

That's a rather poor response from LifeLock. I would have hoped for something immediate. Their ads make them sound so great.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:29 pm

Forgot to add: Visit the Federal Trade Commission's identity theft website, identitytheft.gov . It will walk you through the steps you need to take.

Topic Author
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 1:37 pm

RudyS wrote:That's a rather poor response from LifeLock. I would have hoped for something immediate. Their ads make them sound so great.

I was very disappointed in the response that LifeLock gave me. Basically, they told me to spend the next 3 weeks re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic while I wait for some reports to arrive.

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Wed Nov 30, 2016 3:49 pm

Sorry to hear that.

Just a possibility: my bank, and the different provider of one of my credit cards, and my homeowner's insurance policy all offer identity theft help. The latter includes a limited reimbursement amount, including for unpaid time away from work. Maybe somebody you already do business with provides services.

PJW

Topic Author
Hockey10

Post by Hockey10 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 4:52 pm

Rupert wrote:Place fraud alerts on your credit files with Equifax, Transunion, and Experian immediately. You only have to notify one of them; the first one you notify will notify the other two for you. Then file any necessary police report(s). Then freeze your credit files. The freezes will be free if you have a police report. (They're free in some states even without a police report).

Thanks for the help Rupert! I just finished placing the fraud alert on my credit files and freezing the three files. I also placed a freeze on my Teletrack and ChexSystems reports (the two reports that LifeLock asked me to order). I don't have enough info yet to file a police report. The credit freezes were $10 each at Transunion, Equifax, and Experian, but well worth the price for peace of mind.

retirementbound

Post by retirementbound » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:38 pm

Identity theft has happened to me twice. The first was when my wife's purse was stolen. We froze credit cards but apparently tried to purchase a computer and three cars. I just recently had this happen to me where someone(s) applied for two different credit cards. Since you put in the freezes you should get a letter from the bureaus in a few days to get a free credit report. Prior to that you can go to annualcreditreport.com to see if there is anything else out there. It may give you some piece of mind and will allow you to begin tracking anything to get it disputed quicker.

It is certainly stressful but both times the bureaus and banks were quick and helpful and resolving everything. Amazingly there was no change in my credit score either time. Just be glad it was caught quickly.